HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Hans Tavares to SC Bern

Old
12-05-2012, 12:08 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Finally, JT earns the golden dome. I'm very disappointed at how long it took him, he's a bust.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Finally, JT earns the golden dome. I'm very disappointed at how long it took him, he's a bust.
He's marginally talented. Didn't you know?

12-05-2012, 01:15 PM
redbull
Expect more

only Brunner and Zetterberg (both of EV Zug - along with Omark) have more Pts/game than Tavares in that league. Pretty impressive, especially since he started relatively slowly.

Been on fire playing with nobody remotely close to NHL caliber linemates (Streit/Josi on defense notwithstanding)

With another 2-2-4pts today he's now at 35pts, 4th in league scoring.

#marginallytalented

Last edited by redbull: 12-08-2012 at 03:15 PM.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 07:16 AM
InjuredChoker

Yeah, 2+2 last night.

http://www.bluewin.ch/de/index.php/1...=136675&page=1

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:25 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

I keep watching videos of him playing and/or being interviewed in the Swiss league and it's very depressing. I want my JTV.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:16 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I keep watching videos of him playing and/or being interviewed in the Swiss league and it's very depressing. I want my JTV.
Echoed.

At least it's much easier to spot him now that he's wearing the golden helmet and jersey. Is it me or is Johnny looking more and more like the Esposito-esque goal scorer he was in Junior? His hands and instincts in tight are sick.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:19 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Echoed.

At least it's much easier to spot him now that he's wearing the golden helmet and jersey. Is it me or is Johnny looking more and more like the Esposito-esque goal scorer he was in Junior? His hands and instincts in tight are sick.
Moulson is also pretty good in tight, quick shot, picking corners with deadly accuracy. But Tavares is far better at making plays in tight, getting shots off, rebounds, wrap-arounds - amazing ability to establish and maintain body position while protecting the puck. Seems like lacrosse-type play.

Bob McKenzie recently said that about JT (on TSN Radio) when talking about generational talents and Connor McDavid being in the Crosby/Ovy area of "generational" not like Tavares, Hall, and others (as the host suggested). BMack was quick to defend Tavares and said (paraphrasing):

Let's not be so quick to suggest Tavares won't achieve generational status. He's improved his skating tremendously and although scouts were being really tough on him right before the draft, they seemed to forget how effective he was, his drive to the net, going to the tough areas to score goals, just like did in lacrosse. And how those types of goals translate to the NHL and how few players are able to (willing to) go to those areas and score goals. (If I find the interview, I'll post it)

And, on McDavid, incredible hockey player already. But even BMack jokingly said "hey, in three years of watching him, I'm sure some scouts will come out and say something negative about him right before the draft"

On a side note: Tyler Benson
The next, next, next one? 82pts in 17games, 14 years old

Who knows, three more tanking seasons, in the next four years, might land MacKinnon, McDavid, Benson #givingwangideas

Old
12-09-2012, 11:53 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Moulson is also pretty good in tight, quick shot, picking corners with deadly accuracy. But Tavares is far better at making plays in tight, getting shots off, rebounds, wrap-arounds - amazing ability to establish and maintain body position while protecting the puck. Seems like lacrosse-type play.

Bob McKenzie recently said that about JT (on TSN Radio) when talking about generational talents and Connor McDavid being in the Crosby/Ovy area of "generational" not like Tavares, Hall, and others (as the host suggested). BMack was quick to defend Tavares and said (paraphrasing):

Let's not be so quick to suggest Tavares won't achieve generational status. He's improved his skating tremendously and although scouts were being really tough on him right before the draft, they seemed to forget how effective he was, his drive to the net, going to the tough areas to score goals, just like did in lacrosse. And how those types of goals translate to the NHL and how few players are able to (willing to) go to those areas and score goals. (If I find the interview, I'll post it)

And, on McDavid, incredible hockey player already. But even BMack jokingly said "hey, in three years of watching him, I'm sure some scouts will come out and say something negative about him right before the draft"

Who knows, three more tanking seasons, in the next four years, might land MacKinnon, McDavid, Benson #givingwangideas
It's eery how much John Tavares' game resembles Johnny Tavares'...

This goal is sick...

From what I've seen so far from our golden boy, generational level play is not out of the question. As in regards to Bobby Mac's comments - 'See. Billy Idol gets it!' (stolen from someone else who posted it around here not too long ago)

As for the tanking, NO! I don't want to see another Tankellini on LI.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:24 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
It's eery how much John Tavares' game resembles Johnny Tavares'...

This goal is sick...

From what I've seen so far from our golden boy, generational level play is not out of the question. As in regards to Bobby Mac's comments - 'See. Billy Idol gets it!' (stolen from someone else who posted it around here not too long ago)

As for the tanking, NO! I don't want to see another Tankellini on LI.
Agreed, I'm done with the losing thing. As far as tanking goes though, I don't think this team can be accused of that. If only because their 2nd half play has been their best hockey for the past couple of years.

IMO, this next draft pick should be our last high pick(assuming it ends up being relatively high, which it should). I'd like to see a couple of signings/trades made next offseason to put all the pieces in place.

As far as Johnny goes, since this is his thread, I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit that "generational" level. Maybe it's completely premature and ignorant, but I fully expect to see his name join the others up in the rafters at some point. As long as he stays healthy(and here), he should end up as one of our all-time greats. Knock on wood.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:22 AM
redbull
Expect more

Nice list, Swiss league scoring, sorted by PPG.

Note: JT is actually at 1.65PPG if you count the one 3pt game that was out of the NLA league, part of the EuroTrophy.

Total of 38pts in 23 games. That pace, over 82 games, is 53 goals and 135 pts
Can he take that to the NHL?

Some pretty good hockey players on this list too.

Wonder if Byron Ritchie's nickname is PAP yet? Or SwissPAP? MattySwiss?

Old
12-10-2012, 12:01 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 129
Interesting to see that Ritchie is one of the two career Europe players on that list, and Macflikier is playing with Seguin and Kane. Go JT!

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:31 AM
WeberStreit

A small TV story of John Tavares. There have been shot more than just that one, but most are geoblocked, so I'll just post this one.
http://scb.ch/index.php?section=news...606&teaserId=5

His club did also put the jerseys from the European Trophy on auction.
http://scb.ch/index.php?section=auction&id=169

The players were able to buy them, before the auction. Tavares bought his jersey form his only game in the European Trophy (Streit bought both, so he hasn't any for sell), so the one which is for sell isn't even game worn, but I'm sure it will still fetch the most $...

WeberStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 07:19 AM
BillD

Quote:

Matt Moulson has a good nose for the net, a good shot, and puts himself in scoring position very well.
That said, he might not be in the NHL without having an elite center like Tavares or Datsuyk to get him the chances. And ordinary center, even the majority of 1st line centers on other teams would not be sufficient to turn MM into a consistent 30 goal guy, possibly not even be able to stick in the NHL.
Tavares skill and efforts make Moulson what he is, which says more about JT than Moulson.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:25 AM
OlTimeHockey

I would bet Moulson would catch on with another team. He has skills that make him a scoring threat. He had good fortune to have NYI put him with Tavares (because he was cheap and our management doesn't pay for talent out there). You don't score 30 goals in the NHL without skill.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 05:58 AM
chokei

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberStreit View Post
A small TV story of John Tavares. There have been shot more than just that one, but most are geoblocked, so I'll just post this one.
http://scb.ch/index.php?section=news...606&teaserId=5

His club did also put the jerseys from the European Trophy on auction.
http://scb.ch/index.php?section=auction&id=169

The players were able to buy them, before the auction. Tavares bought his jersey form his only game in the European Trophy (Streit bought both, so he hasn't any for sell), so the one which is for sell isn't even game worn, but I'm sure it will still fetch the most $...
Johnny T is such a great fit with Bern. Of all the Lockout stars in Switzerland I'm liking him the most, he has just a likeable personality. He seems like a hockey player through and through, on and off the ice, he has a serious attitude and gives the impression that he really cares no matter where he is.

Also, if Bern would play without advertisements they would have one of the most beautiful jerseys in the hockey world IMO. Those European Trophy jerseys look great.

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 03:29 PM
redbull
Expect more

another nice game for JT, 2goals and an assist in a 4-1 win, Bern's 4th straight.

JT now tied with Seguin, 16-22-38pts in just 23 games played (3 less than Seguin)

It'll be nice to see him lead the league in scoring after the NHL season is cancelled. What a mess the NHL is.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:53 PM
BillD

Johnny really picked upthe pace from a slowish start (jet lag...learning big rink...late getting over). He is now in machine mode.

Just saying, that Seguin kid ain't chopped liver. Wish he was ours.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Anyone got a good photo of JT with the golden bucket? I can't seem to find one.

Riseonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:25 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Highlights from the last game. 2g and 1a.

His first goal featured a nice shot - going against the grain and going high glove. He's getting fancy now, Julie 'The Cat' Gafney would have stopped it though.

http://www.bluewin.ch/de/index.php/1...=137595&page=1

Old
12-18-2012, 11:13 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

His first goal featured a nice shot - going against the grain and going high glove. He's getting fancy now, Julie 'The Cat' Gafney would have stopped it though.

http://www.bluewin.ch/de/index.php/1...=137595&page=1
Johnny with the Golden dome,I LOVE it!!!. If Johnny brings that shot back across the pond then there is no doubt in my mind that he will be a consistant 40 goal added to his arsenal to go along with the rest of the sac of tricks and skills healreay has. The thing

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:46 AM
SwissStef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Anyone got a good photo of JT with the golden bucket? I can't seem to find one.

SwissStef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissStef View Post
Pictures]

YES! Thanks so much.

Riseonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:59 AM
JKP

Man, those euro uniforms are so ugly with all the ads on them.

Nice to see JT kicking butt, though.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:50 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:

]
no way. That was a laser shot, reminds me of a young Jeff Tambellini (no, not kidding)

Tavares never had that shot in prior years.

Not sure if it deflected on it's way in, it may have because the goalie didn't even come close to stopping it.

Old
12-21-2012, 12:11 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
no way. That was a laser shot, reminds me of a young Jeff Tambellini (no, not kidding)

Tavares never had that shot in prior years.

Not sure if it deflected on it's way in, it may have because the goalie didn't even come close to stopping it.
Yeah, it was a laser and an excellent sign that maybe some of his hard work on his shot is starting to pay off. The goalie really had no chance, hence the Julie Gafney comment. It was a joke man, the lockout is getting to you.

Anyway, if Julie stopped Gunnar Stahl, she could stop Johhny or anyone else for that matter. She was that awesome, she made Goldberg switch to defense. Manon Rheaume, who?