HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Nazem Kadri named AHL Player of the Week ending Nov. 18 - and discussion thread.

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2012, 07:16 AM
leafspring*

vCash: 500
There definately is "I" IN team.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=i+in+t...w=1280&bih=588

Old
12-09-2012, 08:11 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
ďIíve been putting in a lot of work off the ice as I have on the ice,Ē Kadri said. ďItís nice to see it pay off. Iíve been buying into the system. Iíve been doing everything that I possibly can to make myself better. It seems like Iím starting to get the luck of the draw lately. But, by all means, I have to continue producing.Ē

This was part of his post game presser

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-americans-4-3
It would probably help to know what the question was, right?

Old
12-09-2012, 09:04 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
ďIíve been putting in a lot of work off the ice as I have on the ice,Ē Kadri said. ďItís nice to see it pay off. Iíve been buying into the system. Iíve been doing everything that I possibly can to make myself better. It seems like Iím starting to get the luck of the draw lately. But, by all means, I have to continue producing.Ē

Good god, are your being serious?

This is concrete evidence of the strange bias hate for Kadri by some. It's pathetic really.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:15 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

I know it's cherry picking, but take away Kadri's first 9 games, and your looking at 12 games, 6g-12a-18pts. Not too shabby.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:27 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
It would probably help to know what the question was, right?
Frost: "Nazem Kadri, a 3 point game, and we were just joking about the hockey Gods, but things are certainly rounding out in your favor in the last couple of weeks. What has turned for you, Naz?"

Clearly, Frost wanted to know Kadri's opinions on the team's success of late.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post

This is concrete evidence of the strange bias hate for Kadri by some. It's pathetic really.
Yet, we have unconditional love for other Leafs players here. It is peculiar, if Kadri wore #84 as opposed to #13, he would be hailed as a god around here. I don't understand the negativity surrounding this kid.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:

Surely you jest.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Sundinisagod
King Joffrey 2.0

Quote:

I'll admit I haven't been Kadri's biggest supporter but he is starting to win me over with his play.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I'll admit I haven't been Kadri's biggest supporter but he is starting to win me over with his play.
Besides the obvious points, the one thing I always liked about Kadri is he plays big when the games get more important, I recall his last year in London, he led the OHL in playoff points prior to the Knights being ousted. He also plays on the edge, these are traits none of our Center's on the big club have. And he is still only 22. Maybe Cherry was right all along.

Last edited by ULF_55: 12-09-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Kadri was 22 before the season started.
Old
12-09-2012, 10:34 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I know it's cherry picking, but take away Kadri's first 9 games, and your looking at 12 games, 6g-12a-18pts. Not too shabby.
Yes, he seems to be moving the puck very nicely now. It is when he holds it too long that things don't go so well.

Yesterday he tried to pass and it went off the defender into the net, but he got rewarded for trying to pass. Then on the 2nd. Gardiner goal he held it for about 1 second and moved it to Gardiner.

If he stops trying to beat people one on one when there is an option he'll continue to rack up the points.

Eakins has to keep beating that into him.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Yes, he seems to be moving the puck very nicely now. It is when he holds it too long that things don't go so well.

Yesterday he tried to pass and it went off the defender into the net, but he got rewarded for trying to pass. Then on the 2nd. Gardiner goal he held it for about 1 second and moved it to Gardiner.

If he stops trying to beat people one on one when there is an option he'll continue to rack up the points.

Comes down to elite ice vision with Naz, he's a creative player, his passes are at times too harshly criticized as turnovers. All creative players make high risk plays. As long as Naz is able to connect on these passes more than he fails and he knows when to be more creative, he will be fine. But I bet he can have a great game and some will focus on the 1 play that didn't connect. This is going to be the type of player he will become in the NHL. You can't stunt his creatvity, that's the player we drafted. He is what he is. No use forcing a round peg into a square hole.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:16 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Comes down to elite ice vision with Naz, he's a creative player, his passes are at times too harshly criticized as turnovers. All creative players make high risk plays. As long as Naz is able to connect on these passes more than he fails and he knows when to be more creative, he will be fine. But I bet he can have a great game and some will focus on the 1 play that didn't connect. This is going to be the type of player he will become in the NHL. You can't stunt his creatvity, that's the player we drafted. He is what he is. No use forcing a round peg into a square hole.
Agreed.

He hasn't been ready to play in the NHL, that was obvious from watching him try, but he's looking much better. Maybe it was from playing the OHL, where he was so much better than other players that he didn't need to move the puck so quickly, and now he respects the talent around him more.

He goes from playing against kids, most who wouldn't ever become full time professionals, to playing against NHL players and AHL players who are the best from around the world, not just the best kids in his area.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
When it comes to Kadri I don't think there is anything more he can learn in the AHL. For 3 years now (I think) they have tried to get him to make the smart pay and play better defensively. He has made huge strides in both of these regards, good enough that I think he can be a full time NHLer. Until it happens we won't know if he can be but I think once the NHL starts up again it's time for him to sink or swim.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
to summarize, it is his shape up or ship out year

Old
12-09-2012, 11:34 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
When it comes to Kadri I don't think there is anything more he can learn in the AHL. For 3 years now (I think) they have tried to get him to make the smart pay and play better defensively. He has made huge strides in both of these regards, good enough that I think he can be a full time NHLer. Until it happens we won't know if he can be but I think once the NHL starts up again it's time for him to sink or swim.
I was glad to see he was centering a line last night.

Was also happy to see Ross getting some playing time.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
to summarize, it is his shape up or ship out year
Not if there's no NHL season

Old
12-09-2012, 11:36 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:

I would watch that replay again if I were you

Old
12-09-2012, 11:39 AM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

Only 18 pts in the last 12 games?? Pathetic...
I can't believe the lengths people go to on this board to bash on one our top prospects, it's embarrassing.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
I was glad to see he was centering a line last night.

Was also happy to see Ross getting some playing time.
I'm not convinced he will play center in his first full NHL season but it is good to see that he is getting more practice there.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:58 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

He's been playing great, but I just cannot see him as a 1st line player in the NHL. I think he can be a 55ish point 2nd liner, but he might fall into the 3rd liner category.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:06 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I'm not convinced he will play center in his first full NHL season but it is good to see that he is getting more practice there.
Oh, he looks no where near a top line center for the NHL, but he should be able to get time there and if he is capable move into a 2nd. line center role.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:09 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
I would watch that replay again if I were you
http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/vide...sole?catid=446

Do you mean this one?

Old
12-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Oh, he looks no where near a top line center for the NHL, but he should be able to get time there and if he is capable move into a 2nd. line center role.
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing JVR-Connolly-Kessel......Lupul-Grabo-Kadri as our top 2 lines. The 2nd line being sheltered minutes. Give Kadri some time at center every now and then on that line, maybe all the time if Grabo gets hurt. I know people don't like this though since I break up the combo of Lupul-Kessel

I just think Kadri should be sheltered still to start off (as all rookies are), he won't be getting that on the top line and our 3rd line has become a shutdown unit so I think it should be on the 2nd line with Grabo. Those 2 playing sheltered minutes along with Lupul could be a deadly line. Lupul may need to move up to the first and JVR down to the 2nd if things aren't working out but regardless I think it would be for some exciting hockey.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:26 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He's a Centre not a winger maybe the incompetent Leaf Management has finally figured it out, Maybe

Old
12-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Beleafer4

Kadri has the skills to reach 60 points in the NHL, the problem has always been his attitude. He has never really committed much to his training and thats why he is weaker and slower than he should be at this age. I know he says that he has finally bought into the system but Im gonna wait until the results of his next offseason training before I actually buy that. Just like his first few games werent reflective of his play, so havent been his last few. He has been getting a lot of lucky points from what I have been seen. Overall I think ppg has been pretty reflective of his play this year imo. But thats not enough. He was ppg in his first AHL season with lesser teammates. Now its time to step it up.

Closed Thread