HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Galchenyuk VS Forsberg VS Grigorenko

View Poll Results: Who will be the better player down the road?
Alex Galchenyuk 58 63.04%
Filip Forsberg 16 17.39%
Mikhail Grigorenko 18 19.57%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Montreal Shadow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
posts like this are so obnixious.

You are basically guarenteeing that he will be better than Giroux, Crosby, Stamkos, Kopitar, Toews, McDavid, MacKinnon, Seguin, Nugent Hopkins, Tavares. All those players will in around there prime the same time as Galchenyuk.

He is a very good prospect but guys like him come around in the draft almost every year.
He said Galchenyuk will be a top 5 center in the league. Where did you read he'd guarantee he'd be better than all those guys? Besides, it's not unreasonable to think a 3rd overall pick could end up as one of the best centers in the league. Here is the list of the first 3 centers drafted in the last few years.

2005: Crosby(1st), Gilbert Brule(6th), Anze Kopitar(11th)

2006: Jordan Staal(2nd), Jonathan Toews(3rd), Nicklas Backstrom(4th)

2007: Kyle Turris(3rd), Zach Hamil(8th), Logan Couture(9th)

2008: Steven Stamkos(1st), Colin Wilson(7th), Josh Bailey(9th)

2009: John Tavares(1st), Matt Duchene(3rd), Evander Kane(4th)

2010: Tyler Seguin(2nd), Ryan Johansen(4th), Jeff Skinner(7th)

Looking at the centers drafted in the top 3, all of them are high quality. Ignoring first overalls which is nowadays almost a guranteed star, we got: Kopitar, Staal, Toews, Backstrom, Duchene, Kane, Seguin and Skinner who are all really good centers and most of them were either close to the top 5, in the top 5 or have a high chance of getting in it in the future. It really isn't outlandish to think Galchenyuk could be in a conversation with those guys in a few years.

I'm not guaranteeing it. I'd be extremely happy if he ever develops into a top 5 center, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if it happens. That's what a 3rd overall can do.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:59 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Not really though. Grigorenko probably has the best vision and passing of the 2012 draft class. Not sure where you got the idea that he's a one-dimensional sniper unless you just glanced at his stat sheet.

Overall, I'd say I like him and Galchenyuk both quite a bit more than Forsberg. Not sure who will be the better player between the G's, though I'm very happy to have Grigs as a Sabre.
I never said one dimensional sniper, I meant 1 dimensional offensive player. I see him play, I live near Quebec.

Gally and Grigs are different styles of play. They both have what it takes to succeed but only time will tell.

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
theres a reason why Gally was drafted top 3 and the other two slipped past 10. Gally has been beasting it up this year. The kid is going to be a top 5 center in the league in his prime. Book it.
And people think we Leafs fans overrate our prospects.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 12:08 PM

I just think its absured to say a player who has never played in the league will be a top 5 center. Unless we are talking generational talents or close to.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 12:26 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
I just think its absured to say a player who has never played in the league will be a top 5 center. Unless we are talking generational talents or close to.
It is absured. I doubt he becomes better than Stamkos, Tavares, Crosby, Malkin and Giroux. He might get close but I seriously doubt he passes them. I would love it though.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:18 PM
CP31

He CAN become a top 5-10 center, if he WILL is a different story

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:20 PM
tony d
The Future

Grigorenko
Galchenyuk
Forsberg

12-09-2012, 02:34 PM
bp spec

Galchenyuk

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
It is absured. I doubt he becomes better than Stamkos, Tavares, Crosby, Malkin and Giroux. He might get close but I seriously doubt he passes them. I would love it though.
Did you guys read my last post? He said he will be a top 5 center in the league. That doesn't mean he thinks Galchenyuk will pass all those guys. A couple of years ago, you'd probably think someone saying Toews would be a better center than Thornton one day would be ridiculous. Doesn't look so ridiculous now, does it?

Point is, players have good years and bad years. Some will decline by the time Galchenyuk hits his stride. Stamkos for example will probably not be a 55 goal scorer in Galchenyuk's prime. Those guys won't be the best in the league for the entirety of their career, some young up and coming players will be better than them and move them from the top 5, just like those guys kicked guys like Thornton, Spezza or Gezlaf from the top 5 centers in the league. It's nothing new. I'm not saying Galchenyuk will do that, but if he does, it shouldn't surprise anyone as it is something that happens all the time.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:07 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
Did you guys read my last post? He said he will be a top 5 center in the league. That doesn't mean he thinks Galchenyuk will pass all those guys. A couple of years ago, you'd probably think someone saying Toews would be a better center than Thornton one day would be ridiculous. Doesn't look so ridiculous now, does it?

Point is, players have good years and bad years. Some will decline by the time Galchenyuk hits his stride. Stamkos for example will probably not be a 55 goal scorer in Galchenyuk's prime. Those guys won't be the best in the league for the entirety of their career, some young up and coming players will be better than them and move them from the top 5, just like those guys kicked guys like Thornton, Spezza or Gezlaf from the top 5 centers in the league. It's nothing new. I'm not saying Galchenyuk will do that, but if he does, it shouldn't surprise anyone as it is something that happens all the time.
When Gally is 27(prime) those guys will still be capable of putting up points.

Tavares: 30
Stamkos: 31
Giroux: 33

And by the time Gally is 27, new guys will be tearing it up. MacKinnon, McDavid...

Old
12-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
When Gally is 27(prime) those guys will still be capable of putting up points.

Tavares: 30
Stamkos: 31
Giroux: 33

And by the time Gally is 27, new guys will be tearing it up. MacKinnon, McDavid...
Sure, these guys will still be able to put up points, but it's doubtful they'll still be the cream of the crop of centers. Younger guys will likely pass them. And if I recall correctly, the prime years of offensive players(ignoring goal scorers who peak in their early 20's) was around 24-26 and they tended to experience a steep decline after the age of 27.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2010/...-game-peak-age

And for star players, things tend to go downhill after age 26.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...-evgeni-malkin

Contrary to the popular HFboards misconception, offensive players don't hit their prime in their late 20's-early 30's. More around early-mid 20's. Hell, looking back at the last 5 seasons, you'll see only around 1 or 2 centers in the top 10 scoring that are 30+. I don't doubt Giroux will still be putting up pts at age 30, but I don't think he'll be a top 5 center in the league by then, younger guys will pass him.

I also think it's unfair to suggest guys like McKinnon and McDavid have a chance at being top 5 centers and dismiss Galchenyuk's chances.

Last edited by Montreal Shadow: 12-09-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old
12-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 691
Galchenyuk will be the greatest player of the ice hockey ever in life, guaranteed!

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote