HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV/Books/Movies/Music/Video Games) Part V

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Nick0930

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Agreed. That said, neither of those you mentioned, nor Cloud Atlas, should`ve been shortened. It`s highly individual.

Skyfall on the other hand was a little bit too long for me too.
LOTR could've been shorter. They're just walking.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:03 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
It`s highly individual.
oh, 100% agreed. i know i have the attention span of a 2 year old, but i'd still like to be able to sit through some 'classic' movies, like the ones i've named. i never made it through 1 LOTR, i've made it through 3 harry potters (for blowie purposes only)...never saw cloud atlas...i walked out on ionception (more due to plot though)..hated the latest batman...even the dark knight, which i actually liked, was a stretch for me. it'd probably make my top-5 favorite movies ever if it was shorter. instead, i'll only watch it if i have the capability of fast forwarding.

what im saying is, movie companies should make movies specifically for me, and nobody else. is that too much to ask?

Old
11-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
LOTR could've been shorter. They're just walking.

pure. gold.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
oh, 100% agreed. i know i have the attention span of a 2 year old, but i'd still like to be able to sit through some 'classic' movies, like the ones i've named. i never made it through 1 LOTR, i've made it through 3 harry potters (for blowie purposes only)...never saw cloud atlas...i walked out on ionception (more due to plot though)..hated the latest batman...even the dark knight, which i actually liked, was a stretch for me. it'd probably make my top-5 favorite movies ever if it was shorter. instead, i'll only watch it if i have the capability of fast forwarding.

what im saying is, movie companies should make movies specifically for me, and nobody else. is that too much to ask?
Sounds just about right.

No, not at all. haha

Old
11-30-2012, 11:45 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
bond couldve been 1 hr 45 mins easy, max 2 hours. thats my main beef with these so called 'awesome' movies (harry potter, lotr, whatever). you can have a cerebral plot without unnecessary extended dialogue.
Harry Potter and LOTR come from incredibly long books. Cutting more than they did from either of those series would have been bad, as they already took a ton out.

Old
11-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Agreed. That said, neither of those you mentioned, nor Cloud Atlas, should`ve been shortened. It`s highly individual.

Skyfall on the other hand was a little bit too long for me too.
It's a stylistic choice. I'm not surprised Sam Mendes drew it out like that. It is a little long for what seems to be a simple plot. The villain doesn't have a complicated scheme, he just wants one thing but goes about trying to get it in the most roundabout way possible.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Walking Dead. Holy ****ing **** **** ***** ****ing **** **** ****.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:20 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Started watching Band of Brothers the other day thanks to directv on demand. Already finished episode four. I love this series. Will definitely watch the Pacific next. It is all really well done.

Did anyone watch Red Tails? I have it saved on my dvr and am wondering if it's worth watching.

About to watch the season finale of the Walking Dead. So pumped.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Nick0930

Brilliant episode of The Walking Dead. Loved everything about it.

Spoil:
I figured Oscar would die once they introduced a new black guy. Also that fight scene between Michonne and the Governor was so great, just too bad dumbass Andrea had to walk in on it.

Last edited by Nick0930: 12-02-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old
12-02-2012, 11:36 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Damn that was a great episode. I can't believe we have to wait until February

Old
12-03-2012, 03:14 PM
EliasFTW

I knew i hated Lorie and Shane but these past few episodes have been wonderful. Now i only need Andrea to die and i will be happy. Unless Michone starts talking more i might be rooting for her to die soon too.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
Started watching Band of Brothers the other day thanks to directv on demand. Already finished episode four. I love this series. Will definitely watch the Pacific next. It is all really well done.

Did anyone watch Red Tails? I have it saved on my dvr and am wondering if it's worth watching.
Band of Brothers is one of the best series I've ever watched. I have it on Blu-Ray and am waiting for a lull to start watching it over a week at a time. Now that Boardwalk is over and Homeland is nearly done, I'll probably do that to kill time until GoT returns.

The Pacific is not nearly as good. It tries to be but isn't. It follows three different people for just a few episodes if I recall correctly and doesn't establish that group story at all like BoB did. It's ok viewing but don't expect it to live up to BoB.

Red Tails sucked. Too bad too because it could and should have been a great movie but instead of focusing on the drama and taking a realistic shot at telling the story of courage and heroism it comes off as superficial, over actioned CGI sequences with only fleeting moments of drama. The characters are played as simplistic labels and the story picks right up with the squadron flying patrols way behind the line then ramps up to a quick "here you go, here's your shiny new P-51s and the next scene they're racking up kills galore with no effort". Oh our friend died when Goose hit the canopy I mean he got shot and crashed on the way home. Seriously, Top Gun had more drama and that was a flight jock movie.

I felt bad for the people who's story was supposed to be told here as it was a cheap interpretation of the real story and did no justice to the true struggle and heroism. This was closer to a Saturday morning cartoon version than a historical war drama.

you'll know that feel when you see the German airstrip attack they pull off and the long stare cheesy down between the German ace and the main character. Cause you know - it's easy to pick out a guy as you dodge flack and ground fire while strafing up and down the runway with explosions and secondaries going off and make eye contact and give him a big F U smirk as you buzz by at 100 feet going 350 mph.

In short, the entire movie either felt like a stalled conversation or a ragged Cliff Notes sprint to tell a 4 hour tale in 20 minutes. The pacing was almost as bad as the dialogue.

If you want to see a better version of the real story; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114745/

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
12-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

The best signature you`ve ever had. One of my favorite scenes of the whole show.

And yeah, BOB is great, would reccommend to anyone. I didn`t like Red Tails though.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Band of Brothers was awesome. Didn't watch all the episodes of The Pacific, and I never saw Red Tails. Heard it was mediocre from people I trust on movies though.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:42 PM
EliasFTW

BoB was amazing. Pacific was meh.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:26 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

I'm pumped for the new Star Trek movie.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Clue. Underrated movie.

Old
12-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
Clue. Underrated movie.
The height of absurdity, but there's something to be said for that.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

I take it all back - don't watch Homeland. It will suck you in despite gaping plot holes and some basic common sense hangups like the CIA letting a KNOWN terrorist who attempted to bomb a large component of the President's cabinet not only spend time alone with the future presidential nominee, but then there's the major stuff I won't bother with - like a tactical team member just letting his team walk away from him while he breaks silence to chit chat with a tag-along agent and then discovers a hiding place for the #1 wanted terror leader and never bothers to even call his team in on comms despite the mic hanging right there on his cheek. Oh, sorry I said I wouldn't do that.

If you can't remove reality from your geo-political thriller mind stay far, far away from this series. I unwittingly allowed myself to get pulled in and now I blame the NHLPA for it getting this far. If I had hockey to watch, I never would have gone so wrong.

1 more episode then I'm pulling the eject handle and hoping I hit my head on the canopy and forget all about this show.

Awards? For what - Best Unrealistic Drama in a Realistic Setting?

RAGE QUIT.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:59 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

I see a banner at the top of the screen advertising Serial Experiments Lain. Didn't realize that box set was out. Dunno if it's worth buying but it's an interesting watch. You can watch the episodes free on the funimation site the banner links to.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:35 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
I take it all back - don't watch Homeland. It will suck you in despite gaping plot holes and some basic common sense hangups like the CIA letting a KNOWN terrorist who attempted to bomb a large component of the President's cabinet not only spend time alone with the future presidential nominee, but then there's the major stuff I won't bother with - like a tactical team member just letting his team walk away from him while he breaks silence to chit chat with a tag-along agent and then discovers a hiding place for the #1 wanted terror leader and never bothers to even call his team in on comms despite the mic hanging right there on his cheek. Oh, sorry I said I wouldn't do that.

If you can't remove reality from your geo-political thriller mind stay far, far away from this series. I unwittingly allowed myself to get pulled in and now I blame the NHLPA for it getting this far. If I had hockey to watch, I never would have gone so wrong.

1 more episode then I'm pulling the eject handle and hoping I hit my head on the canopy and forget all about this show.

Awards? For what - Best Unrealistic Drama in a Realistic Setting?

RAGE QUIT.
mrs. brody's tatas will suck you back in

Old
12-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Nick0930

I'm gonna throw my XM Radio out the window next time I hear a god damn Five Finger Death Punch song. Such a ****** band that gets overplayed like crazy.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
mrs. brody's tatas will suck you back in
her lizard lips block out anything good. No wonder why she played the alien in V.

Last edited by Richer's Ghost: 12-10-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old
12-10-2012, 10:47 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

it's her neck. soooooooo long, like demi moore

Old
12-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Closed Thread