HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXV: New car caviar four star daydream, think I'll buy me a hockey team

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2012, 12:05 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
I don't think so. Even if the actual money they could earn this season is diminishing, they all have to be cognizant of the fact that if they lose the season, it will be disastrous to their future revenues. They still want to get a season in, even if only a 48 game season.
Right, but maybe diminishing future revenues aren't significant factor enough to save a season when they could decide to really bend the PA over and keep Make-Whole off the table, no transition into 50:50 and whatever else they could take. This whole thing has seemed like a battle of egos and at a crucial part of negotiations Fehr and the rest of the PA really pissed off the Owners. Keep in mind Jacobs is still chairman of the BOG

Old
12-09-2012, 12:11 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
is it just me, or do talks heat up every tue/wed and then break down every thu/fri...

i'm thinking these guys just like their weekends off
Seems accurate. Probably talk tomorrow and set up meetings for Tuesday.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:13 PM
PensFanSince1989

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...37038869422080

"Pushing" may not equate to progress. Some owners are relieved NHL proposal is off the table and want to back off. So close...but, so far...

Old
12-09-2012, 12:13 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
"Pushing" may not equate to progress. Some owners are relieved NHL proposal is off the table and want to back off. So close...but, so far.

Who does not want a season?

They are too preoccupied with demonizing Fehr to actually make a deal.

Disgrace.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:16 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lint07 View Post
Dave Molinari Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Best possible time for next round of CBA talks: Undisclosed. Best possible location: As far from microphones and notebooks as possible.

https://twitter.com/MolinariPG/statu...32095152340994
Great idea, but unfortunately leaks always happen and the media will get information somehow.

Or they'll just wildly speculate.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:18 PM
NinthSpoke06

So, sometime early next week the players will hit the $600,000,000 mark of lost salaries.

Good thing the players are still "proud" of Donald Fehr. He is doing a great job!

Old
12-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Jonas1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Disgrace.
Most of the owners think they're giving too much. It's not that they don't want to play.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:20 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
Most of the owners think they're giving too much. It's not that they don't want to play.
The owners are "giving up" anything. These negotiations in their entirety are about how much the players are going to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
So, sometime early next week the players will hit the $600,000,000 mark of lost salaries.

Good thing the players are still "proud" of Donald Fehr. He is doing a great job!
As opposed to the owners losing hundreds of millions in revenue?

Old
12-09-2012, 12:20 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

this is what i feel will happen. there won't be any mention of any new meetings or talks. then suddenly on a random day/night, let's say this thursday , twitter will blow up with winds of a joint press conference with the nhl and nhlpa. then from a random hotel in toronto, they will announce a deal has been struck and the 12-13 NHL season will start on January 1st, with 56 games. basically...the deal will come out of nowhere.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:22 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
this is what i feel will happen. there won't be any mention of any new meetings or talks. then suddenly on a random day/night, let's say this thursday , twitter will blow up with winds of a joint press conference with the nhl and nhlpa. then from a random hotel in toronto, they will announce a deal has been struck and the 12-13 NHL season will start on January 1st, with 56 games. basically...the deal will come out of nowhere.
So exactly like what happened in the NBA... talks looking like a deal was done but fell apart, followed by deal quietly reached a week later.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post

Interesting post, considering it's all from the players perspective... The owners are losing money hand over fist as well, as are their partners, businesses, everything. Why is Fehr the only evil one? I'd say they're all f'd up.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:27 PM
CK17

Quote:

Disgrace.
Well when the NHL brings in owners who are pushing for a deal and really want to play and the PA promptly royally pisses them off what do you expect to happen? The hardliners take over.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Lint07

''JUST DROP IT.''

http://vimeo.com/55149830

Old
12-09-2012, 12:31 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:

Disgrace.

when did Fair and the players stop demonizing The BettMan, or are you not a member of twitterverse

the owners no longer like the look of the 300m they offered as it was clear from the moment it went on the table that it was tied to CBA length, contract length and non-complance buyouts as well as no cap on escrow and the deal was predicate on the player's accepting that as a package

apparently that was agreeable until Don not so fair entered the room

why won't he allow the players to vote on the NHL offer, does he not have enough control that he's fully confident in the "majority" of players seeing things his way?

Old
12-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
whatever gets it done. although a 56-48 game season won't feel right.

if they don't get a season started this year, nothing is going to get done until next December-January because that's when the next drop dead date for another lost season will be.

and nothing gets done between these two sides without the pressure of a lost season.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
''JUST DROP IT.''

If this actually happened I'd be amazed, and proud! It would definitely send a message that would take till the next CBA expires to forget!

Old
12-09-2012, 12:40 PM
nabbyfan

Make them negotiate outdoors in ND sometime this week when the windchill is -25, and don't let them leave until a deal is done. Bet they could come to an agreement in no time!

Old
12-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Stuck in Socal

The pledge won't work we will all run back the second a game is scheduled.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
If this actually happened I'd be amazed, and proud! It would definitely send a message that would take till the next CBA expires to forget!
You imagine if the Habs, Leafs and Nucks didn't sell out, or worse, had a low attendance? Even five games would freak them out.

Old
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
The owners are "giving up" anything. These negotiations in their entirety are about how much the players are going to lose.

As opposed to the owners losing hundreds of millions in revenue?
Lol... The players money being lost is gross profit, the owners aren't really losing any money because they almost zero expenses with no games being played. Most of the owners don't make anything, or actually lose money, operating for an entire season.... So.....

The players won't get anything that will come close to making up for their lost salary payments. They are playing hardball just to feel good about themselves because their position is an awful business decision.

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Did people think the owners were joking when they said they'd pull the make-whole off the table? Bettman warned them 3 times. Now we are just as far as we were 2 weeks ago.

I'm not dumb to think they won't put it back on the table, but this game is far from ending.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Did people think the owners were joking when they said they'd pull the make-whole off the table? Bettman warned them 3 times. Now we are just as far as we were 2 weeks ago.

I'm not dumb to think they won't put it back on the table, but this game is far from ending.
The way I see it, if the PA essentially "changed its mind" they owners would put everything back on the table. Otherwise, I'm not convinced they intend to come off anything, especially if the PA thinks they can keep that $300M.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
''JUST DROP IT.''

I think this is actually a pretty reasonable and feasible demonstration. Some folks say they'll give up the NHL forever, I doubt that. But boycotting a game for each game missed... that's pretty doable. That's something I can really get on board with!

Old
12-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
You imagine if the Habs, Leafs and Nucks didn't sell out, or worse, had a low attendance? Even five games would freak them out.
Montreal fans would do it, I have no doubt. Just look at the down years in the late 90s and early 2000's.

Toronto, no way they will go no matter what. The players could come out and say racist and sexists things and they'd still show up.

Vancouver, don't know much about the fan base but I suspect they'll show up no matter what.

This is another great idea that just won't happen, but if I had a feeling it would I would follow along without a doubt.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:50 PM
HartsyMania
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyLazaro View Post
I'd be more embarrassed for those guys than the NHL

get a life.
What?

Closed Thread