HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XIII: The name is Cameranesi. Tony Cameranesi.

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroNtF View Post
Hahaha, so another Leafs player destroyed by a Bruins player ? the cycle continues...for now.

Can't wait till our team has a proper bottom six with the truculence that was promised to come, and with some of our prospects, I wouldn't doubt that it will in the next couple years.

Glad to hear our prospects are doing well, and hope that Sparks is able to make the USA squad in the worlds, being from Calgary I want him to take the second spot over Gillies (Flames prospect )
I wouldn't worry much about Dougie in the NHL against us...we're screwed against Boston until we can find a way to do something about Chara.

Dougie compares himself to guys like Bouwmeester and Brent Burns...I'd say he's probably a bit more offensive than those guys, but he's definitely not mean, or at least as much as the Bruins would have liked, skating isn't that good either...Kessel would run circles around him.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I wouldn't worry much about Dougie in the NHL against us...we're screwed against Boston until we can find a way to do something about Chara.

Dougie compares himself to guys like Bouwmeester and Brent Burns...I'd say he's probably a bit more offensive than those guys, but he's definitely not mean, or at least as much as the Bruins would have liked, skating isn't that good either...Kessel would run circles around him.
Pretty much. Chara is the main thorn for us all the time. Until we get two first lineish in the top six.

12-09-2012, 10:03 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroNtF View Post
Hahaha, so another Leafs player destroyed by a Bruins player ? the cycle continues...for now.

Can't wait till our team has a proper bottom six with the truculence that was promised to come, and with some of our prospects, I wouldn't doubt that it will in the next couple years.

Glad to hear our prospects are doing well, and hope that Sparks is able to make the USA squad in the worlds, being from Calgary I want him to take the second spot over Gillies (Flames prospect )
They'll never get a payback for Quinn destroying Orr.

I watched that game and still think it was a clean hit, Bobby was looking down and got demolished.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-09-2012, 10:04 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Pretty much. Chara is the main thorn for us all the time. Until we get two first lineish in the top six.
Kessel definitely is intimidated, but Grabovski doesn't seem to fear him.

ANYWAY prospects talk ...

Chara wasn't always Chara, maybe the Leafs have one in the raw.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Kessel definitely is intimidated, but Grabovski doesn't seem to fear him.

ANYWAY prospects talk ...

Chara wasn't always Chara, maybe the Leafs have one in the raw.
Only one who can possible come close to him is possible James Oleksiak if he had the offence with his towering height. Or if Boris Vlabik had worked out.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
Or when its a bad pick its all Burkes fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Burke has made quite a few moves that were great for our prospect pool (outside of the Kessel one). Kaberle got us a great return, so did Beauchemin, and Verbeauty netted us a 1st and a 3rd. I know our scouting staff choose our picks, but Burke chooses the scouting staff, and has the final word.
Where did I mention trades? Dave Morrison here before Burke no? I just think he deserves more recognition than he seems to get. Perhaps 1st rounders are influenced by Burke but after that the picks tend to be the work of scouts/head scout.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Where did I mention trades? Dave Morrison here before Burke no? I just think he deserves more recognition than he seems to get. Perhaps 1st rounders are influenced by Burke but after that the picks tend to be the work of scouts/head scout.
Yeah, Burke is on record saying that the only picks he hand selects are 1st Rounders, and then relies heavily on his staff for the rest of the picks. I think he mentioned he lets them make those decisions for the most part because they've done all the hard work scouting during the year and deserve it or something like that.

However, I know that Morrison alone has a massive impact on who Burke selects in the 1st round. Two years ago he convinced Burke to take Biggs ahead of Percy, for example.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Yeah, Burke is on record saying that the only picks he hand selects are 1st Rounders, and then relies heavily on his staff for the rest of the picks. I think he mentioned he lets them make those decisions for the most part because they've done all the hard work scouting during the year and deserve it or something like that.

However, I know that Morrison alone has a massive impact on who Burke selects in the 1st round. Two years ago he convinced Burke to take Biggs ahead of Percy, for example.
1st round Burke having input is understandable, he is the one building the team and has a better idea of what kind of player he wants.

But the whole needs vs BPA debate arises, I'm apart of the BPA group so I think Burke should have some input as he will have done some scouting but I believe he should still largely leave it up to who the scouts say is the BPA.

In the later rounds go for what the scouts say 100%. Burke doesn't have the time to go to the games to watch these guys like the scouts do. They know who has potential and who doesn't so let them make the picks. Formality usually has it as the GM calling out all the names but I think it should be the scouts making all the decisions.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:24 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
He's a joke, Ryan, Ross, Blacker, all busts, Percey over Jenner, Rattie, Gibson, a bunch of under sized under acheiving picks. Not a NHL Goaltending Prospect in the whole bunch. Every team in their division has a top NHL goaltender and Prospects that are superior to ours, seven years out of the playoffs and the 20th rated prospect list.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
He's a joke, Ryan, Ross, Blacker, all busts, Percey over Jenner, Rattie, Gibson, a bunch of under sized under acheiving picks. Not a NHL Goaltending Prospect in the whole bunch. Every team in their division has a top NHL goaltender and Prospects that are superior to ours, seven years out of the playoffs and the 20th rated prospect list.
Mhmm so are players like Morrow, Puempel, Danault, Namestnikov, Phillips, Jensen Rakell, and Musil before Rattie and after Biggs.
Grimaldi, Mayfield, Jurco, Clending after Rattie and before Jenner. Hellburg between jenner and gibson right?

I can do this for so many other drafts but that's just one of the three drafts regarding the prospects mentioned. Hindsight thoughts are very fun.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Duffman955

Besids finn, I don't think we have picked up much legit talent after the first round. Can't beleive I'm actually sort of agreeing with Freebird.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Badger Mayhew

Quote:
So for Jenner, you're obviously commending the Blue Jackets scouting staff for the pick. In that case, have you seen the players they've drafted early?

John Moore, 1st round 2009. Bust.
Kevin Lynch, 2nd round 2009. Bust
Ryan Johansen, 1st round 2010. Not a bust,but drafted 4th overall, hard to screw up.
Dalton Smith, 2nd round 2010. Bust

But no, they drafted Boone Jenner in the second round last year, so the Blue Jackets are scouting experts and Morrison is a joke

Old
12-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Besids finn, I don't think we have picked up much legit talent after the first round. Can't beleive I'm actually sort of agreeing with Freebird.
we only had 3 picks or 4 picks after the finn pick all low picks, the only one I am really excited about is Toninato.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
we only had 3 picks or 4 picks after the finn pick all low picks, the only one I am really excited about is Toninato.
Burke has had what 4 drafts? I don't see any legit 1st/2nd line talent coming from 2nd-7th rounds. I doubt any of them become full-time NHLers.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Sergei Berezin

You can't possibly argue that Percy over Rattie is bad pick already. Until Rattie shows something at the NHL level, I can't say I'm disappointed one was picked over the other.

Percy could be Paul Martin, and Rattie could be Jordan Schroeder failing to succeed in the AHL.

You could blame Morrisson for picking Tlusty over Berglund or Little, or others, though.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:58 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
So for Jenner, you're obviously commending the Blue Jackets scouting staff for the pick. In that case, have you seen the players they've drafted early?

John Moore, 1st round 2009. Bust.
Kevin Lynch, 2nd round 2009. Bust
Ryan Johansen, 1st round 2010. Not a bust,but drafted 4th overall, hard to screw up.
Dalton Smith, 2nd round 2010. Bust

But no, they drafted Boone Jenner in the second round last year, so the Blue Jackets are scouting experts and Morrison is a joke
Morrison's body of work in his tenure has been mediocre at best, the result are self evident. Not one 2nd rd pick that has done any thing, and 3rd rd'ers even more pathitic, Devane vs Foglino and McNabb.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Badger Mayhew

Quote:
Morrison's body of work in his tenure has been mediocre at best, the result are self evident. Not one 2nd rd pick that has done any thing, and 3rd rd'ers even more pathitic, Devane vs Foglino and McNabb.
What are examples of teams with good scouts in your opinion then?

Old
12-09-2012, 01:01 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Kulemin has done nothing?

Old
12-09-2012, 01:04 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Kulemin has done nothing?
If you look at the entire body of work, no he's done more than nothing but not that much over the long haul. He's made a lot of money for his actul production.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:09 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Burke has had what 4 drafts? I don't see any legit 1st/2nd line talent coming from 2nd-7th rounds. I doubt any of them become full-time NHLers.
and how often to watch any of these players in the american league or in junior? i like to know my product if im doubting them.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:10 PM
mrburke

Quote:

Frattin was a fourth round pick.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:12 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrburke View Post
Frattin was a fourth round pick.
reimer and gunnarson aren't anything relivant at all either i guess.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Badger Mayhew

Ignoring posts, "all or nothing" mentality, at least now I know not to take FreeBird seriously.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:25 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
What are examples of teams with good scouts in your opinion then?
Lets put it this way most all of the teams have far less scouts than the Leafs and still find more nhl prospects than we do.

I think Philly does the best job, they seem to get more high end propects father down the 1st rd than any body, their weakness has been goaltenders if they had ever found one they would have been a dynasty. Their trades have been top notch and that takes scouts to evaluate other teams players. Can't argue that the Bruins and Capitals have done well, the Rangers have improved after a few rocky years, and of course the Wings drafting late have always found talent, ex Sproul vs Percy, and their Swedish connections have been stellar. Carolina has done well lately, obviously San Jose and L.A have done well. Pittsburg has been very effective they've found some good players other than the high end guys, Letang and others come to mind, Gogloski for Neal and they have some good young prospects in the system. I'm sorry to say that almost all the teams have done better in the Draft than we have and untill that improves were just going to continue to keep blowing in the wind.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:26 PM
mrburke

Quote:
To be honest though how many 3-7 round players ever become regular guys in the NHL? I think the fact that we've had a couple guys not only make it but how become important parts of our team shows that Morrison is doing something right.

Closed Thread