HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC on Fox: Henderson vs Diaz

Old
12-09-2012, 01:12 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Guys who established cocky backgrounds or are elite champions can taunt like that. Not guys who ***** about not wanting to fight their friends.

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Fanpuck33

vCash: 500
Atta boy, Smooth! No doubt this time around. That was the Bendo I'm used to seeing. I would imagine Pettis is next if he beats Cowboy, then Melendez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
It might just be tech issues, because they muted again, switched camera angles and stuff...their technical issues today have just been poor. I just hope I can enjoy this fight in peace without any random mutings or shots of the octogon from the crowd...during the fight
They weren't technical issues, they were censoring. The mutes were because of cursing coming from the fighters' corners and the random octagon shots were because of Diaz flipping the bird. They only run on a few second delay, so they don't have time to blur out a specific area (i.e. Diaz's hands), so they cut the picture completely. Not the best way to handle it, but understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Rory is a great talent but drop the act, man. You're a big 170 fighting an unmotivated, out of shape, 155 that doesn't take the sport seriously. You won convincingly as you should have. Act like it.
Yeah, I'm ok with taunting when you back it. But when you're taunting a guy and not attacking at all, that's bad. Rory spent more time taunting then he did fighting in that last round. Brutal to watch.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:29 AM
BGDDYKWL

I didn't think the fight was as lopsided as 27, 27, 26 would make it seem, but no question Gus deserves credit for clearly winning that one. I was impressed with both how he overpowered Shogun as well as how he was completely unfazed by what seemed to be at least a few pretty good shots. I wasn't sold on the kid, and I'm still not sure if he can stay off his back against an elite wrestler, but he deserves a lot of credit for beating Shogun like that. Shogun is an absolute warrior. His fights lately have been extremely entertaining.

And speaking of warriors, it's getting tough to watch Penn these days. I've always been kinda neutral when it came to him, but I definitely found myself glad that Rory didn't finish him. I wouldn't wanna see him go out like that. At this stage though you just don't feel like he has much to offer at 170 or 155. Probably just time.

I was really impressed with Bendo's performance. Just utter domination for 25 minutes. And this wasn't a Condit/Diaz scenario. Bendo beat him up for five rounds. The round where he jabbed Diaz's knee a few times to get him to drop his hands and then landed that big left that put Diaz down was like something out of a training video. I knew Bendo could physically dominate Diaz, but I was afraid Diaz might catch him with a sub. Glad that never really came close to happening because Bendo definitely deserved to win that fight.

Apparently there's talk of Gus fighting before Jones, but I'm not sure who it would be. Personally I'd love if Hendo's knee wasn't ready and he stepped in to fight Machida, but I don't know how likely that is. Aside from that (and knowing he's going to be fighting a phenomenal wrestler for the belt), I would figure that assuming Rashad wins that would make some sense. Problem there is if Rashad beats Gus then it's him and Jones again, and I don't know how interesting that would be.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:58 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Rory should've gone easy with the taunting, but remember that he is only 22. Guy still has a lot of time to mature and he'll have his arrogant moments. Hell, I remember even GSP had his cocky moments back in the day and now he's one of the most humble fighters in the league.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:13 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Gus' movement and general striking technicality will present problems for Jones. The deciding factor will be if he can get up off his back.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:27 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Good fights but **** I'm disappointed at the results. Both Diaz and Penn got schooled.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 04:14 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Wait till you're a dominating champion before you start to taunt legends.

I hope Carlos devastates this kid.

I think Rory beats Condit.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:36 AM
jw2

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Gus' movement and general striking technicality will present problems for Jones. The deciding factor will be if he can get up off his back.
I think parts of Gus' ge were exposed - movement, striking, groundwork.... I think Jones will pick him apart,

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1004
I would like to see a gif of Diaz getting knocked down 2 seconds after raising his arms and taunting Henderson.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Captain_Cunney

Lol @ all the moaning over the shuffle. Classy? No. Big deal? No.

Just because it was a fox card doesn't mean we should use the fox method of reporting, rory is & always has been a very classy kid. He's quiet & people will use it to satisfy their sour grapes. News flash #2, he's wanted that Carlos fight since he lost & has been very vocal about it if you paid attention to him prior to this. I'm also not sure Carlos takes that fight. Don't get me wrong, I'm a supporter of his but if his team is smart they take someone a little less dangerous next, Carlos wouldn't be afraid.

Leave the not fighting GSP thing die, he's like his big brother & they are people after all. Kid moved across the country on his own @19, into an entirely new culture & Georges was there as his mentor the entire time. It'd be a cool fight but it's not happening.

I also have a feeling rory is headed for MW the same way jones is headed to HW. They mentioned him getting as high as 205, he seems to get thicker each time we see him fight.

Henderson is the man, just a beast. I really hope they slide Gil in next & then Pettis if he gets by cowboy after that.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 12:36 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I think parts of Gus' ge were exposed - movement, striking, groundwork.... I think Jones will pick him apart,
Jones has no where near the striking ability of Gus. Picking him apart won't be an option.

Not to mention, styles make fights. The opportunities present against Shogun won't be there against Jones.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:46 PM
jw2

Dude, Gus did not look great last night. He's lucky Shogun is washed up and just threw a haymaker every 45 seconds...

Jones will move around and constantly tag Gus. Once against the fence or on the ground, Gustafsson is done. I don't think we can say Gustafsson is any better than Vitor, Rampage or Evans on their feet. Perhaps against lower competition, but no aspect of his game was overly impressive against an out of shape and weak Shogun.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Only problem I had with the shuffle was that he didn't really follow up on it. You can't do it and then just stand there or take a couple of steps back.

Overall that was a great performance by Rory. I thought BJ was done in the third round and at one point it looked like the only thing holding him up was the cage so I would have liked to see him just go for the kill but I understand why he didn't. BJ is still dangerous enough to capitalize on any opening or sloppy stand up exchange.

It's only a matter of time before he moves up to MW but I would like to see him fight GSP. He might be the biggest threat to GSP and he's only getting better. Dana publicly called out Koscheck/Fitch, Evans/Jardine, Anderson/Machida, and Evans/Jones for refusing to fight each other and he should do the same here unless Rory moves up. Rory still has some things to do before he's in line for a title shot but if he gets to that point, the only two options should be to either fight GSP or move up.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:51 PM
jw2

Maybe Dana finally got the clue that regardless of how badly he wants to see teammates fight, it usually ends up being a boring standoffish fight with no one wanting to hurt eachother.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:53 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Dude, Gus did not look great last night. He's lucky Shogun is washed up and just threw a haymaker every 45 seconds...

Jones will move around and constantly tag Gus. Once against the fence or on the ground, Gustafsson is done. I don't think we can say Gustafsson is any better than Vitor, Rampage or Evans on their feet. Perhaps against lower competition, but no aspect of his game was overly impressive against an out of shape and weak Shogun.
WHAT?! That's insane! Gus has far superior footwork and technique to any of those fighters, especially at this point in many of their careers. Plus he can actually hang with Jones' stature. I think you're vastly underrating Gus, likely upon the only fight you've watched of him.

He took down Shogun at will, displayed very quick footwork and showed he has a very solid chin. I don't know how you were not impressed with him, unless you're looking at the fight through Jones colored glasses.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:16 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Jones has no where near the striking ability of Gus. Picking him apart won't be an option.

Not to mention, styles make fights. The opportunities present against Shogun won't be there against Jones.
Who cares? It's a fight. If Penn didn't like it he had ample opportunity to do something about it.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:19 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Quote:

Who cares? It's a fight. If Penn didn't like it he had ample opportunity to do something about it.
Err...

Old
12-09-2012, 06:25 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Wow, what an event! Just got back from Seattle a few hours ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
So Micheal Chiesa pullled out of his fight due to illness, but at the weigh-ins I saw him walking around the concourse and he sat in the nosebleed seats, not down in the section where the training partners/other UFC fighters would normally sit. Thought that was kinda odd, but didn't want to risk getting beat up by asking him lol.
Hey must have just been doing that briefly to mingle with some people he knew or something, because he spent virtually all of the event on the floor in a roped off area right near the cage.

kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:51 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Well I'm not going to go that far and you should be careful with that here. But BJ goes way beyond just trash talking to hype a fight. He cries after the fact and after he loses fights. Greasegate was pathetic but this was beyond shameful.

"Itís just my opinion that he uses steroids. Thatís itÖI canít hand you any proof, but thatís my opinionÖIn my opinion, he doesnít play by the rules when it comes to steroids and growth hormones and that stuff. Look at him. Heís the worst. He looks like that every day. Thatís cheating. There is a reason why there are rules against using steroids. The rest of us, we get fat, then we train and get skinny and the cycle goes over and over again. He looks the same way all the time. Come on.Ē -- BJ Penn about George St. Pierre

I will never criticize anyone that tries to show up BJ Penn. That was reckless and meant to damage GSP's reputation - and only because (in my opinion) GSP kept kicking his ass. IF BJ loses, he will tell you why but it never has anything to do with him simply being beat by a better fighter.
Sorry I'm late to the discussion here. But you know GSP was greasing, right? How does that make it beyond shameful?

I agree about the PED allegations though. A little ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised at all if GSP and many other fighters were using PEDs, and I think it's ridiculous that many are actually allowed to use TRT, but you can't call a guy out like that after losing. If he felt that way he should have made comments about it before the fight, not after.

kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

There's nothing wrong with being a big fan of a particular fighter but some of the hate for BJ Penn and Anderson Silva is just weird (especially in Canada). They're two of the best fighters in MMA history. A lot of people hate BJ because of what he has said about GSP and a lot of people hate Anderson because they want GSP to be considered the #1 fighter in the world. I can understand the hate for Diaz but I remember my friends getting really bent out of shape when he accused their hero of faking an injury. It wasn't pretty.

Based on what I have read online today, it seems like Rory is headed down that Jon Jones path. So many people want to see the kid fail for the most ridiculous reasons. Hopefully he wins a title soon and doesn't change one bit.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Kitten Mittons

That's because MacDonald is an arrogant *****, just like Jones, or he plays the role for the ratings at the very least.

And how is he gonna win the title if he refuses to fight GSP? Time to move up after he's done with Condit.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
It's only a matter of time before he moves up to MW but I would like to see him fight GSP. He might be the biggest threat to GSP and he's only getting better. Dana publicly called out Koscheck/Fitch, Evans/Jardine, Anderson/Machida, and Evans/Jones for refusing to fight each other and he should do the same here unless Rory moves up.
He already has kinda, stating that MacDonald would like to beat up GSP if he ever saw his bank account or something along those lines.

Quote:
Rory still has some things to do before he's in line for a title shot but if he gets to that point, the only two options should be to either fight GSP or move up.
Yea, like actually beat a legit top 10 fighter at WW.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:51 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Pretty much this.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
You know that's not how the UFC works. He can get a title shot without beating a top 10 fighter.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Don't hate Rory at all, but yes he should beat a top ten fighter before he gets his shot. Would prefer that to be against Condit, but a fight against Ellenberger would be another good one.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote