HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL)

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 08:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Pack lose 9-2. What an abomination.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Oh boy. No comment. Haha.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:27 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Went to an Orlando Solar Bears game today against Fort Wayne. Had a few former Whale/Ranger players/prospects. I think Dan Maggio was playing for Fort Wayne, as was Brett Henley. For the Solar Bears, Scott Tanski and Bryce Lampman. Tanski seemed to be a fan favorite and was one of the better skaters, but that wasn't saying much. ECHL hockey is not that good. Also of note, Mike Brodeur was on Orlando's roster. Still can't believe that plug shut us out. Just thought I'd throw that out there for the laughs.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:27 AM
CM PUNK

wow bryce lampman. thats a name i haven't heard in awhile

Old
12-09-2012, 02:04 AM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

I missed the game, who started? I'm assuming Talbot.

Our D has been obliterated a couple of times already. When we lose control of a game, we really lose it.

Old
12-09-2012, 03:03 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Watch J.T. Miller become the first American to defect when he'll be with Team USA at the World Junior Championships in Russia... "In US, they force me to play for CT Whale!" he says at a press conference in Moscow, as thousands of Russian faces look on in utter disgust when they hear "CT Whale"... Lol

Last edited by Osminator: 12-09-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old
12-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post
Went to an Orlando Solar Bears game today against Fort Wayne. Had a few former Whale/Ranger players/prospects. I think Dan Maggio was playing for Fort Wayne, as was Brett Henley. For the Solar Bears, Scott Tanski and Bryce Lampman. Tanski seemed to be a fan favorite and was one of the better skaters, but that wasn't saying much. ECHL hockey is not that good. Also of note, Mike Brodeur was on Orlando's roster. Still can't believe that plug shut us out. Just thought I'd throw that out there for the laughs.
that shows how bad our goal scoring was.... any rookie goalies expected to make their NHL debut whenever the NHL starts? i hope their first game isnt against the Rangers its either a first win or first shutout for that player

Old
12-09-2012, 12:15 PM
msv957

Just curious if there is anyone who has been watching most of the whale games this year?

What is the situation with Kreider? Is he getting top line or top 6 minutes?

Old
12-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Just curious if there is anyone who has been watching most of the whale games this year?

What is the situation with Kreider? Is he getting top line or top 6 minutes?
Both, recently he's been on the 1st line with Kolarik and Newbury, other times he's been with others getting 2nd line minutes.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Watch J.T. Miller become the first American to defect when he'll be with Team USA at the World Junior Championships in Russia... "In US, they force me to play for CT Whale!" he says at a press conference in Moscow, as thousands of Russian faces look on in utter disgust when they hear "CT Whale"... Lol

I never understood why players stay in the AHL instead of going to the KHL, other than top prospects like Kreider, Miller, Thomas, Jean and Hrivik. All the others like Newbury, Grant, Segal, Vernace, Parlett, Talbott could all have quality roles on KHL squads.

The KHL pays well enough to have significant savings after retiring, the AHL does not.

The KHL may not provide all the amenities of the NHL, which is why it gets criticized, but it is superior to the AHL. You fly by plane, you play in legitimate major league arenas, you get overall better treatment than in the AHL.

You play in front of large crowds.

You have constant access to the hottest girls in the world.

Living in a major city like Moscow cant be worse than living in some back water like Charlotte, Albany and Binghamton. Small towns are good if you are part of a close-knit community of your friends and family. If, on the other hand, you are moving to a different town every other season, you will quickly find yourself in position where the only form of entertainment is getting drunk in a dive bar every night.

Last edited by Beacon: 12-09-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old
12-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I never understood why players stay in the AHL instead of going to the KHL, other than top prospects like Kreider, Miller, Thomas, Jean and Hrivik. All the others like Newbury, Grant, Segal, Vernace, Parlett, Talbott could all have quality roles on KHL squads.

The KHL pays well enough to have significant savings after retiring, the AHL does not.

The KHL may not provide all the amenities of the NHL, which is why it gets criticized, but it is superior to the AHL. You fly by plane, you play in legitimate major league arenas, you get overall better treatment than in the AHL.

You play in front of large crowds.

You have constant access to the hottest girls in the world.

Living in a major city like Moscow cant be worse than living in some back water like Charlotte, Albany and Binghamton.
Regarding the bolded players, you must be joking, right? Grant can barely hold his own in the AHL, Vernace and Parlett would be better suited for a 8 to 5 job instead of pro hockey, Talbot is like Jeckyll and Hyde, you never know who will show up, Segal shows up for 1-2 games then disappears for 6-7. Newbury is a top-tier AHL player.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:

Uh, maybe because they don't want to live in ****ing Russia? I wouldn't want to live in a borderline-first world nation. Outside of Moscow and some of the big cities, the country is horrendous.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Regarding the bolded players, you must be joking, right? Grant can barely hold his own in the AHL, Vernace and Parlett would be better suited for a 8 to 5 job instead of pro hockey, Talbot is like Jeckyll and Hyde, you never know who will show up, Segal shows up for 1-2 games then disappears for 6-7. Newbury is a top-tier AHL player.
why the Rangers signed Grant to an NHL contract.. was he that sought after as a college UFA. AHL contract would have been fine for him. those players have no chance of playing any games for the Rangers...

Old
12-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Uh, maybe because they don't want to live in ****ing Russia? I wouldn't want to live in a borderline-first world nation. Outside of Moscow and some of the big cities, the country is horrendous.

In the AHL, you make $50-100k a year, minus taxes, so you are spending every last penny you earn. In the KHL, you can make $1-2 million tax-free, so after 10 years, you can have more money than you can ever spend, living a great lifestyle. How's that even a choice?

I don't know what you do for a living, but are you telling me that if you could make more in the next 12 months working in Russia than you could working in the US for the next 12 years, you wouldn't do it?

Old
12-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

chances of former Whale current Devils forward Chris McKelvie scoring vs his old team today...

scoreless after 1st period 0-0

Old
12-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Spent a lot of time in Russia (or the other countries that have teams in the KHL), sir? (yes, it's not just Russia)

I am certain these players have it pretty damn good, and even the ********* of places are pretty damn sweet when you have money coming out your ass.
These guys spend so much time on the road (in luxury hotels), it doesnt really matter in which country they are living.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:50 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Speaking of that game I went to last night, Dan Maggio didn't look too bad, he got top pairing minutes. Is he still Rangers property? He can't be any worse than the defenseman on the Whale now.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Never been to Russia, but let's not sugar coat it. Eastern Russia ain't no place you wanna live in. Can't speak for anywhere else.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
why the Rangers signed Grant to an NHL contract.. was he that sought after as a college UFA. AHL contract would have been fine for him. those players have no chance of playing any games for the Rangers...
Grant was Plan B in case Jessimen didn't pan out

Old
12-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
Never been to Russia, but let's not sugar coat it. Eastern Russia ain't no place you wanna live in. Can't speak for anywhere else.
Call me a prostitute, but that all depends on what they would pay me to live there haha

Old
12-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
In the AHL, you make $50-100k a year, minus taxes, so you are spending every last penny you earn. In the KHL, you can make $1-2 million tax-free, so after 10 years, you can have more money than you can ever spend, living a great lifestyle. How's that even a choice?

I don't know what you do for a living, but are you telling me that if you could make more in the next 12 months working in Russia than you could working in the US for the next 12 years, you wouldn't do it?
You don't pay any taxes in Russia, but American citizens pay taxes on their world-wide income so salary from the KHL is subject to tax here.

Also, do not confuse salary with AHL compensation: players receive additional money to pay for food/lodging during travel (and have excellent health plans).

But, it really doesn't matter--most players in the AHL aren't good enough to play in the KHL--Russia has plenty of homegrown players to play on the 3rd and 4th line. Teams there are looking for stars to come over, not Newbury.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
You don't pay any taxes in Russia, but American citizens pay taxes on their world-wide income so salary from the KHL is subject to tax here.

Also, do not confuse salary with AHL compensation: players receive additional money to pay for food/lodging during travel (and have excellent health plans).

But, it really doesn't matter--most players in the AHL aren't good enough to play in the KHL--Russia has plenty of homegrown players to play on the 3rd and 4th line. Teams there are looking for stars to come over, not Newbury.

The additional money for food and lodging doesn't come close to the money they would get in the KHL.

I do think that Newbury could get a real role in the KHL. There's no reason he can't be a quality 3rd liner there. The KHL isn't that much better than the AHL. It's better, but not so much so that an AHL first liner can't be an average KHLer.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
The additional money for food and lodging doesn't come close to the money they would get in the KHL.

I do think that Newbury could get a real role in the KHL. There's no reason he can't be a quality 3rd liner there. The KHL isn't that much better than the AHL. It's better, but not so much so that an AHL first liner can't be an average KHLer.
You realize, that unlike the NHL, there are restrictions on the number of foreign players allowed on each team? Why sign Newbury--who can't do anything really well--when you can sign a local kid for the same money, generate a little excitement among the hometown crowd and not have any issues with language, settling in, homesickness, etc. Plus, you're assuming these AHL havebeens and wannabees even want to move thousands of miles away from everything and everyone they know. Not everyone can earn a million bucks, even if you're a hockey player.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Osminator

Disgusting vs. Albany. Lost 1-0 to worst record team in the AHL. Rangers need to recall the entire Greenville team from the ECHL and other than Kreider, Miller, Hrivik and Jean, the rest of the Spermwhales need to be sent down. Utterly unacceptable.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

What's it going to take for Kreider to start scoring some goals???

Closed Thread