*OFFICIAL* Sudbury Wolves 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 10:07 PM
chewerjones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlman View Post
Let me put it this way chewy, Sudbury will NEVER win a championship with mark burgess as an owner, take that to the bank. No point in ranting about this team I could go on and on its a joke of an organization and sad for the Sudbury faithful. It breaks my heart but the truth hurts.
I agree that he is a weak link in the Sudbury system, but hear me out.

It seems like he spends the money, and they get the support. He doesnt seem to interfere in the day to day hockey operations, coaching, and trades, from what I have been told, and seen??

For example, this year with Vilardi, they blew it, but I dont think it was mainly because of the spot given to Connor Burgess that upset Vilardi and sent him back home. Guys like Huether or Schutt/Cull or Desrochers shouldnt have taken up a development spot for Vilardi, who happens to be a highly skilled centreman. Unless Burgess made that call, then you would have to blame that fiasco on BS.

Also, they dont play Cummins because they say he is terrible? Who drafted him at 14th overall? A first rounder dman on a weak Sudbury Defence should play his first year and get some half decent minutes. Not the case.

They used a high import pick last year to select the Swedish goalie, and they had him only for one year??? If they couldnt get an import goalie that could play at least 2 years with the team, then trade the pick for a starting goalie that would last 2-3 years in Sudbury??

The above are all bad hockey decisions/moves and if Mark Burgess pulled the strings on all those calls, then YES you are right, but if it was BS, then we need to get rid of BS and get a true hockey guy.

Old
12-02-2012, 12:02 AM
chewerjones

Good game against OS. If it werent for those 2 brain cramp plays on the PP, it would have gone into OT. If Baptiste scores on the breakaway, who knows they may have won.

No Leivo and no Silk and they played with 7th best team in CHL.

I guess thats what happens when you dont take stupid penalties?

Their goaltending was also terrible.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:32 PM
djscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I agree that he is a weak link in the Sudbury system, but hear me out.

It seems like he spends the money, and they get the support. He doesnt seem to interfere in the day to day hockey operations, coaching, and trades, from what I have been told, and seen??

For example, this year with Vilardi, they blew it, but I dont think it was mainly because of the spot given to Connor Burgess that upset Vilardi and sent him back home. Guys like Huether or Schutt/Cull or Desrochers shouldnt have taken up a development spot for Vilardi, who happens to be a highly skilled centreman. Unless Burgess made that call, then you would have to blame that fiasco on BS.

Also, they dont play Cummins because they say he is terrible? Who drafted him at 14th overall? A first rounder dman on a weak Sudbury Defence should play his first year and get some half decent minutes. Not the case.

They used a high import pick last year to select the Swedish goalie, and they had him only for one year??? If they couldnt get an import goalie that could play at least 2 years with the team, then trade the pick for a starting goalie that would last 2-3 years in Sudbury??

The above are all bad hockey decisions/moves and if Mark Burgess pulled the strings on all those calls, then YES you are right, but if it was BS, then we need to get rid of BS and get a true hockey guy.
Mark Burgess does not interfere with the daily hockey operations? Am I misunderstanding you? Or are you just legitimately that clueless. While Huether has not been great, guys like Cull and Desrochers fill a completely different roll than Vilardi. Desrochers in particular is a great defensive forward who is a great skater and strong on the forecheck. Vilardi made it evident in training camp that with his current skating skills he could not be a factor at the OHL level, YET.

Connor Cummins has 0 hockey sense, he stands around like a pylon and has no clue where to be on the ice. Calling Sudbury's defence week is mis-representing them as well. Sefton and Corrado are a solid top pairing, Corbett, when healthy has been a great addition to the defensive core. Dodero has been hot and cold and is a bit of a disapointment this year, however if he can turn his play around to where it was last year he's a great compliment to the top 4. MacKenzie Braid was doing a solid job on the bottom pairing before his injury as well. De Haan has show some great hockey sense and the potential to be a puck mover on the back end, something Sudbury is sorely missing.

I won't even comment on the Import draft as it is such a crapshoot at this level. However I do feel the wolves did exceptionally well picking up a talent like Kahun, who I'd argue has been the wolves top player. As well as getting a guy like Kubalik who has shown some spark as of late when put on the top line with Michael Kantor and Kahun.

You really think Blaine Smith is the problem? Briniging in Michael Kantor for a mid pick and two fringe OHLers? Trading John McFarland for Sgarbossa? The deal to move up in the import draft? Picking up Dodero for a late pick? Consistently re-cooping picks for players who won't report like Riley Corbin, Quinn, Beyers, etc? I do feel there is a lot of blame to be thrown around the wolves organization. But throwing any of it towards Blaine Smith is undermining a lot of the great moves he has made for this organization. Without a doubt he has done a better job GMing then Mike Foligno did.

At the end of the day I do feel like a lot of the blame for the wolves lack of success falls on not only Mark Burgess, but our Head Scouts, as well as scouting staff for continuing to make lacklustre picks in the draft. As well as on the failure to develop the early picks internally which may or may not fall on the coaching staff in the end.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:04 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscooter View Post
Mark Burgess does not interfere with the daily hockey operations? Am I misunderstanding you? Or are you just legitimately that clueless. While Huether has not been great, guys like Cull and Desrochers fill a completely different roll than Vilardi. Desrochers in particular is a great defensive forward who is a great skater and strong on the forecheck. Vilardi made it evident in training camp that with his current skating skills he could not be a factor at the OHL level, YET.

Connor Cummins has 0 hockey sense, he stands around like a pylon and has no clue where to be on the ice. Calling Sudbury's defence week is mis-representing them as well. Sefton and Corrado are a solid top pairing, Corbett, when healthy has been a great addition to the defensive core. Dodero has been hot and cold and is a bit of a disapointment this year, however if he can turn his play around to where it was last year he's a great compliment to the top 4. MacKenzie Braid was doing a solid job on the bottom pairing before his injury as well. De Haan has show some great hockey sense and the potential to be a puck mover on the back end, something Sudbury is sorely missing.

I won't even comment on the Import draft as it is such a crapshoot at this level. However I do feel the wolves did exceptionally well picking up a talent like Kahun, who I'd argue has been the wolves top player. As well as getting a guy like Kubalik who has shown some spark as of late when put on the top line with Michael Kantor and Kahun.

You really think Blaine Smith is the problem? Briniging in Michael Kantor for a mid pick and two fringe OHLers? Trading John McFarland for Sgarbossa? The deal to move up in the import draft? Picking up Dodero for a late pick? Consistently re-cooping picks for players who won't report like Riley Corbin, Quinn, Beyers, etc? I do feel there is a lot of blame to be thrown around the wolves organization. But throwing any of it towards Blaine Smith is undermining a lot of the great moves he has made for this organization. Without a doubt he has done a better job GMing then Mike Foligno did.

At the end of the day I do feel like a lot of the blame for the wolves lack of success falls on not only Mark Burgess, but our Head Scouts, as well as scouting staff for continuing to make lacklustre picks in the draft. As well as on the failure to develop the early picks internally which may or may not fall on the coaching staff in the end.
If, if, but, if, but, iff........ all excuses. Any positives you mentioned above, are farthest from the truth. Stealing Dodero?? Are you kidding me? Nobody wants him.

Getting rid of kids that wont report? Hello. It is the GMs job to make sure they report, or dont draft them.

Cummins has 0 hockey sense. Who drafted him? BS thats who. High first round pick.

Blame it on the scouts? Norm has worked in the industry for over 20 years and he knows talent. He called out the Wolves and their GONG SHOW antics, and thats why he left, or forced his way out. SCOUTS IN THE WOLVES ORGANIZATION DONT SELECT THE PLAYERS, ITS THE GM WHO DOES. THATS A FACT.

I am a realist and you are not in touch with reality, or as you put it the Wolves would be a solid organization with top end picks, players and draft picks. And would be contending for the OHL championship. NOT.

Last year they had no draft picks in the NHL draft. Even Kontos who they traded and was a 2nd line centreman with them, didnt get drafted. Your superstar Sgarbossa also didnt get drafted 2 years ago and had to be signed as a free agent. He won the scoring championship in the OHL, and San Jose didnt flinch to trade him to Colorado as a throw in last year. He didnt even play in any consequential training camp games for San Jose.

Under Foligno, the Wolves had a great number of drafted players and successful NHL players. In the last 3 years, I cant see one NHL drafted player, cant see a high end future draft pick (Baptiste or Silk????), and for sure no NHL success stories.

I dont know about you DJScooter, but I watch the Sudbury Wolves OHL team play, I dont know which team you watch. Lets just say that we are both passionate Sudbury Fans, but we AGREE TO DISAGREE.

JMO

Old
12-05-2012, 03:09 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
If, if, but, if, but, iff........ all excuses. Any positives you mentioned above, are farthest from the truth. Stealing Dodero?? Are you kidding me? Nobody wants him.

Getting rid of kids that wont report? Hello. It is the GMs job to make sure they report, or dont draft them.

Cummins has 0 hockey sense. Who drafted him? BS thats who. High first round pick.

Blame it on the scouts? Norm has worked in the industry for over 20 years and he knows talent. He called out the Wolves and their GONG SHOW antics, and thats why he left, or forced his way out. SCOUTS IN THE WOLVES ORGANIZATION DONT SELECT THE PLAYERS, ITS THE GM WHO DOES. THATS A FACT.

I am a realist and you are not in touch with reality, or as you put it the Wolves would be a solid organization with top end picks, players and draft picks. And would be contending for the OHL championship. NOT.

Last year they had no draft picks in the NHL draft. Even Kontos who they traded and was a 2nd line centreman with them, didnt get drafted. Your superstar Sgarbossa also didnt get drafted 2 years ago and had to be signed as a free agent. He won the scoring championship in the OHL, and San Jose didnt flinch to trade him to Colorado as a throw in last year. He didnt even play in any consequential training camp games for San Jose.

Under Foligno, the Wolves had a great number of drafted players and successful NHL players. In the last 3 years, I cant see one NHL drafted player, cant see a high end future draft pick (Baptiste or Silk????), and for sure no NHL success stories.

I dont know about you DJScooter, but I watch the Sudbury Wolves OHL team play, I dont know which team you watch. Lets just say that we are both passionate Sudbury Fans, but we AGREE TO DISAGREE.

JMO

#1. There is something to be said about players not wanting to report. Firstly, it's the GM's job to talk to the prospective players (and Agents) and ask that question point blank. If the answer isn't a 100% yes then move on.

#2. Sudbury among other teams are small market teams and in Sudbury's case it's pretty far north.

#3. They're also not known for offering very good school packages due to more limited funds and so overall this makes them less attractive for higher-end picks to want to report to.

I'm not picking on Sudbury as there are other teams that fit in the same mold, but the above are just some of the realities of OHL life and how hard it is to Draft and retain players for some teams. Remember a few years ago NO ONE wanted to be drafted by Kingston as it was a mess and the team was doing poorly. Now that's changed for the better and subsequently they attracted better picks who reported this year.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:16 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
#1. There is something to be said about players not wanting to report. Firstly, it's the GM's job to talk to the prospective players (and Agents) and ask that question point blank. If the answer isn't a 100% yes then move on.

#2. Sudbury among other teams are small market teams and in Sudbury's case it's pretty far north.

#3. They're also not known for offering very good school packages due to more limited funds and so overall this makes them less attractive for higher-end picks to want to report to.

I'm not picking on Sudbury as there are other teams that fit in the same mold, but the above are just some of the realities of OHL life and how hard it is to Draft and retain players for some teams. Remember a few years ago NO ONE wanted to be drafted by Kingston as it was a mess and the team was doing poorly. Now that's changed for the better and subsequently they attracted better picks who reported this year.
School packages and funds are not the problem, as Burgess has alot of money and I have never heard of Sudbury chincing on school monies.

Kingston became more attractive because they CLEANED UP THE MESS AND STARTING TO SHOW PROGRESS WITH YOUNGSTERS WINNING.

Sudbury seems to always be mediocre and people get tired of it. Do like the most other good OHL programs, and tank for a couple of seasons and then become contenders for 2-3 years because of the drafting and trades and free agent signings.

This weekend is big weekend as they play all eastern teams, and should compete against all, and should beat Petes for sure, and maybe squeak out a win form Steeleheads or Colts. A good weekend is 4 of 6 points.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:45 PM
chewerjones

Saw all 3 games this past weekend and the Wolves scored 3 of a possible 6 points. They gave away an easy point yesterday, but it was clear that they were tired from playing 3 games in 3 nights.

In Barrie they came out gunning in the first period, and led 2 nothing, in particular to #37's great playmaking ability. They didnt show for the next 2 periods and lost the game. They were 5 regs short (Leivo, Kantor, Silk, THibodeau and Braid), and it showed.

Against MIssy, they played a poor 1st period, and 2 great last periods. It also helped that Vienneau replaced Dupuis. Dupuis was fighting the point shot in Barrie and against Missy. Once again the line of Campagna,Pancel and Baptiste stepped up and led the Wolves to a good win.

Against Petes, they had Braid in the game and he played forward, and didnt look out of place. He showed alot of grit and energy and started the scoring, and ended up with 2 points. He was an instigator all game. Kahun was out of lineup due to groin injury. Vienneau played a good first half of the game and then struggled the latter half. The Campagna, Pancel and Baptiste line led the offence once again.

The shootout went 9 rounds and Petes stole the game. Campagna had a hilite reel type goal, so did Corrado.

Overall, the weekend showed offence (11 goals scored- Campagna line accounted for 16 points in total). Goaltending was inconsistent. Dmen played well- Corrado, Sefton, Dodero and Corbett. De Haan and Cummins had below avg minutes per game, and showed their inexperience. Cummins with his size will hopefully develop with proper coaching, and DeHaan is a great skater and can become a puck mover.

Kubalik , Ryan, Desrochers, Cull, Harris all showed intensity and grit.

I can see alot of potential with the team going forward, but I believe they need to be sellers at the trade deadline. They will mostly finish 8th in east, and may win a round in the east, but shouldnt be able to go much further. They can be buyers, but unless they secure a #1 goalie, and all players are healthy, it would be difficult.

I would trade Corrado, Sefton, Dodero, Kantor, Leivo , as they will most likely not be there next year, and try and secure high draft picks and some quality goaltending, and some prospects (preferably 94's and 95's).

If they can start next year with the following, they can succeed.

Campagna, Pancel, Baptiste
Kahun, Silk, Kubalik
Harris, Desrochers, Vilardi
3 prospects from trades

Corbett, DeHaan
Cummins, Braid
2 prospects from trades

#1 Goalie
Dupuis

Old
12-09-2012, 04:52 PM
WolvesFan
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Saw all 3 games this past weekend and the Wolves scored 3 of a possible 6 points. They gave away an easy point yesterday, but it was clear that they were tired from playing 3 games in 3 nights.

In Barrie they came out gunning in the first period, and led 2 nothing, in particular to #37's great playmaking ability. They didnt show for the next 2 periods and lost the game. They were 5 regs short (Leivo, Kantor, Silk, THibodeau and Braid), and it showed.

Against MIssy, they played a poor 1st period, and 2 great last periods. It also helped that Vienneau replaced Dupuis. Dupuis was fighting the point shot in Barrie and against Missy. Once again the line of Campagna,Pancel and Baptiste stepped up and led the Wolves to a good win.

Against Petes, they had Braid in the game and he played forward, and didnt look out of place. He showed alot of grit and energy and started the scoring, and ended up with 2 points. He was an instigator all game. Kahun was out of lineup due to groin injury. Vienneau played a good first half of the game and then struggled the latter half. The Campagna, Pancel and Baptiste line led the offence once again.

The shootout went 9 rounds and Petes stole the game. Campagna had a hilite reel type goal, so did Corrado.

Overall, the weekend showed offence (11 goals scored- Campagna line accounted for 16 points in total). Goaltending was inconsistent. Dmen played well- Corrado, Sefton, Dodero and Corbett. De Haan and Cummins had below avg minutes per game, and showed their inexperience. Cummins with his size will hopefully develop with proper coaching, and DeHaan is a great skater and can become a puck mover.

Kubalik , Ryan, Desrochers, Cull, Harris all showed intensity and grit.

I can see alot of potential with the team going forward, but I believe they need to be sellers at the trade deadline. They will mostly finish 8th in east, and may win a round in the east, but shouldnt be able to go much further. They can be buyers, but unless they secure a #1 goalie, and all players are healthy, it would be difficult.

I would trade Corrado, Sefton, Dodero, Kantor, Leivo , as they will most likely not be there next year, and try and secure high draft picks and some quality goaltending, and some prospects (preferably 94's and 95's).

If they can start next year with the following, they can succeed.

Campagna, Pancel, Baptiste
Kahun, Silk, Kubalik
Harris, Desrochers, Vilardi
3 prospects from trades

Corbett, DeHaan
Cummins, Braid
2 prospects from trades

#1 Goalie
Dupuis

I Agree with 100%!!!! Excellent Thoughts!!!

Old
12-10-2012, 10:04 AM
pipertim

Quote:

Dupuis

Braid unleashed an elbow or shoulder to one of the Petes (Pierog?) who took a retaliatory penalty) in a open ice hit and both ended up in the box. There was no call on the Braid hit. No injury. But my complaint is two-fold - Braid's scary head contact on the Pete and then he's chirping with Pierog after in the penalty box. Braid wears a full cage so is he going to fight? No.

Braid should have got a major penalty and should have been served by Pierog who hasn't lost a fight in this league.

I like scrappy players (the Petes have a few of their own but Braid's behaviour was cheap on this play.

The Petes "stole" the game by outworking Sudbury plain and simple especially in the latter half of the game.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:37 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipertim View Post
Braid unleashed an elbow or shoulder to one of the Petes (Pierog?) who took a retaliatory penalty) in a open ice hit and both ended up in the box. There was no call on the Braid hit. No injury. But my complaint is two-fold - Braid's scary head contact on the Pete and then he's chirping with Pierog after in the penalty box. Braid wears a full cage so is he going to fight? No.

Braid should have got a major penalty and should have been served by Pierog who hasn't lost a fight in this league.

I like scrappy players (the Petes have a few of their own but Braid's behaviour was cheap on this play.

The Petes "stole" the game by outworking Sudbury plain and simple especially in the latter half of the game.
I dont know how good a fighter Pierog is, but I know that Braid, pound for pound is a good scrapper also. No question, Braid would have fought Pierog. They have fought before. If Pierog hasnt lost a fight in the OHL, then he must not be fighting much scrappers. I know that Nathan Cull, pound for pound is the best scrapper in the OHL, bar none.

Braid's crosscheck to Tanus on the goal was cheap, and wasnt seen by the ref. Sudbury did get away with one. How about the 2 hits to the head on Pancel in the third period. They went unnoticed. Refs are refs.

Sudbury played 3 games in 3 nights and one was a travel game. Petes played at home on thursday nt, and were somewhat rested.

We agree to disagree.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:59 PM
pipertim

Quote:
I dont know how good a fighter Pierog is, but I know that Braid, pound for pound is a good scrapper also. No question, Braid would have fought Pierog. They have fought before. If Pierog hasnt lost a fight in the OHL, then he must not be fighting much scrappers. I know that Nathan Cull, pound for pound is the best scrapper in the OHL, bar none.

Braid's crosscheck to Tanus on the goal was cheap, and wasnt seen by the ref. Sudbury did get away with one. How about the 2 hits to the head on Pancel in the third period. They went unnoticed. Refs are refs.

Sudbury played 3 games in 3 nights and one was a travel game. Petes played at home on thursday nt, and were somewhat rested.

We agree to disagree.
Fair enough. I didn't see the head checks on Pancel I have to admit.
The head check I was referring to was the one prior to Pierog and Braid ending up in the box not the one on Tanus which I also didn't notice. Tanus was down on the ice for a bit right after he scored the goal. I saw it again on my PVR and it was a cheap shot by Braid to Tanus' upper body not his head from what I saw and it happened right after Tanus scored.

If Braid plays like that normally I wonder if has served any suspensions?

Old
12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
I know that Nathan Cull, pound for pound is the best scrapper in the OHL, bar none.

Cull is 6-0 according to dropyyourgloves.com but he is fighting guys like Scheifele and Zharkov. Last year he was 1-6-4 and anytime he fought a "fighter" he got beat.
5'11 188pounds Cull is.
I'll take 6'1 190 pound Johnny McGuire anyday. He beats up guys his size and beats up the bigger "fighters" of the league. Ask Tinordi how is orbital bone is after meeting Johnny

Old
12-11-2012, 03:34 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Cull is 6-0 according to dropyyourgloves.com but he is fighting guys like Scheifele and Zharkov. Last year he was 1-6-4 and anytime he fought a "fighter" he got beat.
5'11 188pounds Cull is.
I'll take 6'1 190 pound Johnny McGuire anyday. He beats up guys his size and beats up the bigger "fighters" of the league. Ask Tinordi how is orbital bone is after meeting Johnny
I am not going to disagree with McGuire, as he may be top 3 in the league. I thought he was closer to 6'3". My bad.

But Cull can throw haymakers and he hurts people. For his size, you will be hard pressed to find anyone tougher.

Barrie had Ezekiel who may have been the toughest 5'9" fighter in the OHL, ever. My bad again. I forgot about DOMI.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Arsenault

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolvesFan View Post
I Agree with 100%!!!! Excellent Thoughts!!!
Had the opportunity to watch 96 Wolve propect S.leblanc play for Oakville Blades against St.Mike's last Sunday. Leblanc was impressive and a dominant force for the Blades in their losing effort. Not sure how he might be able to adapt in the O next year but he might be the puck carrying defenseman Sudbury is so desperately seeking...

Old
12-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
Had the opportunity to watch 96 Wolve propect S.leblanc play for Oakville Blades against St.Mike's last Sunday. Leblanc was impressive and a dominant force for the Blades in their losing effort. Not sure how he might be able to adapt in the O next year but he might be the puck carrying defenseman Sudbury is so desperately seeking...
MAJOR NCAA interest......

Old
12-16-2012, 05:26 PM
chewerjones

Good weekend for Wolves- 5 out of possible 6 points. Leivo back in lineup, and tallied 7 points over last 3 games.

Defence playing good, and it seems like Vienneau has his groove back. When we get Kahun, Kantor, Thibodeau, Sudbury can present a tough opposition to the East.

But what does BS do? Does he think we are contenders, but at best, only to win East, and thus no Mem Cup. Or does he acknowledge that next year is the year to go for it all. I agree on the latter, for the following reasons.

Most likely a team from the West, like London , or Kitchener , or Windsor will get Mem Cup, and if that team can win the West, then all you have to do in the East is win the East.

Teams like Barrie, Niagara, Missy, Oshawa will lose alot of their key players and thus make it more of a realistic task to win the East next year.

That is possible, if BS trades Kantor, Dodero (both OAs), Leivo, Corrado and Sefton (all 3 may be in AHL or ECHL), and acquires 94's and 95's and draft picks to go secure a #1 goalie.

THEY SHOULD THEN HAVE ALL PIECES IN PLACE TO WIN THE EAST, AND IF THE MEM CUP HOST CAN WIN THE WEST, THEN VOILA- MEM CUP PARTICIPANT.

IT IS POSSIBLE, BUT WE NEED BS AND MB ACCEPT REALITY AND TO GO FOR IT ALL NEXT YEAR.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Buddy23

Absolutely makes sense .... that"s why it won't happen!

Old
12-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Hockeyfriend

The belief when talking to long time fans of the team is that no trades will happen before trade deadline. The belief is that the CB picking (and playing) has left little doubt that they cannot get quality players to come to Sudbury - at least until this all blows over. The giving up of a 2nd and 4th round pick to get a 3rd rounder who easily could have been had in the very late rounds has proven to other players in the league that Sudbury is NOT building a contending team. Kids want to win.

CB in itself is not a major issue...one player does not hurt the team. Cull is playing him appropriately and has done a good job managing that.

It is not about him being on the team, but how he got there and the events that have happened since. Norm Roberts resigned, Jeff Beukaboom left, Vilardi was clearly the better player and was sent home and when we had too many forwards CB was put into the game ahead of suerior players. I don't think the kid is being blamed but the whole process is impacting the ability to move forward and contend.

So on that basis how do we compete?

Old
12-17-2012, 10:24 AM
mobile

Quote:
Good weekend for Wolves- 5 out of possible 6 points. Leivo back in lineup, and tallied 7 points over last 3 games.

Defence playing good, and it seems like Vienneau has his groove back. When we get Kahun, Kantor, Thibodeau, Sudbury can present a tough opposition to the East.

But what does BS do? Does he think we are contenders, but at best, only to win East, and thus no Mem Cup. Or does he acknowledge that next year is the year to go for it all. I agree on the latter, for the following reasons.

Most likely a team from the West, like London , or Kitchener , or Windsor will get Mem Cup, and if that team can win the West, then all you have to do in the East is win the East.

Teams like Barrie, Niagara, Missy, Oshawa will lose alot of their key players and thus make it more of a realistic task to win the East next year.

That is possible, if BS trades Kantor, Dodero (both OAs), Leivo, Corrado and Sefton (all 3 may be in AHL or ECHL), and acquires 94's and 95's and draft picks to go secure a #1 goalie.

THEY SHOULD THEN HAVE ALL PIECES IN PLACE TO WIN THE EAST, AND IF THE MEM CUP HOST CAN WIN THE WEST, THEN VOILA- MEM CUP PARTICIPANT.

IT IS POSSIBLE, BUT WE NEED BS AND MB ACCEPT REALITY AND TO GO FOR IT ALL NEXT YEAR.
The issue next year will be goaltending. Vienneau is an OA and will be gone.
Dupuis is not ready yet and needs to get a chance to play some games (a player sell may help that )and Muzyka will only be ready for a backup roll next year. We will need a #1 goalie that is no more than 19 and a legitimate starter in the league . Maybe a very strong #1 at that.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:37 AM
hockieguy

Any GM that would waste a draft pick in the third round to draft Connor Burgess, who would be available in the 485th round, is a disgrace. The head scout quit after that selection. Folino left because he was "Told" that he was drafting Burgess, playing him regularly as well. Cull has drawn a line in the sand with Mark Burgess. He is a joke as an owner, and the laughing stock of this city. Any "father" that would listen to his son get booed of the ice is a complete jerk. When his son hates him for humiliating him in a few years, I hope that Mark Burgess accepts the fact that he did it to himself. He is the most arrogant man in the city, and equally dispised. I personally know player agents that are telling their clients to run if the Wolves call. No one wants to play there. The kids drafted before the Burgess kid are 100 percent better but arent playing. Players drafted this yeare, that are better, aren't playing so Connor plays. It is a complete and utter disgrace. And Blaine Smith should hang his head in shame for watching it happen, or just show some spine and resign.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:27 PM
hockieguy

cB

Hockeyfriend, how can you honestly think that CB is not a major issue? Who could they have drafted with the pick they wasted on him? Further more, has anyone considered that the past few drafts were purposely muddled as to draft players that make Burgess look not so bad? Desrocher is much better, they finally got Roy in the lineup..... my god, his pressence is destroying the dressing room. Poulin- Roy should have played with the Wolves last season, but the worst kept secret in the world was the fact he didn't make the Wolves so he would be forced back to Midget to play with.... Guess who? CB. Also, some parents of players had to go to management on the Capitals and tell them to stop awarding points to CB when he wasn't even on the ice. CB will never be sent down as NO TEAM, midget, JR. A to Jr. Z want him. He should not have even played AAA.... He is that bad. Burgess has ruined so many players over the last few seasons it is scary. The stories about Mark Burgess are heard all the way to us in Barrie. He is know as the snake oil saleman. Ask any NOJHL team if the will affiliate with the Wolves..... Thats why CB will never be sent down.... No place to go.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Hockeyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockieguy View Post
Hockeyfriend, how can you honestly think that CB is not a major issue? Who could they have drafted with the pick they wasted on him? Further more, has anyone considered that the past few drafts were purposely muddled as to draft players that make Burgess look not so bad? Desrocher is much better, they finally got Roy in the lineup..... my god, his pressence is destroying the dressing room. Poulin- Roy should have played with the Wolves last season, but the worst kept secret in the world was the fact he didn't make the Wolves so he would be forced back to Midget to play with.... Guess who? CB. Also, some parents of players had to go to management on the Capitals and tell them to stop awarding points to CB when he wasn't even on the ice. CB will never be sent down as NO TEAM, midget, JR. A to Jr. Z want him. He should not have even played AAA.... He is that bad. Burgess has ruined so many players over the last few seasons it is scary. The stories about Mark Burgess are heard all the way to us in Barrie. He is know as the snake oil saleman. Ask any NOJHL team if the will affiliate with the Wolves..... Thats why CB will never be sent down.... No place to go.
You are correct but just didn't want to slam the kid for his father's illusions of grandeur. cannot comment on being a dressing room problem but you are right about the rest...taking spots of worthy players. Possible that other drafts have been manipulated to allow his kid to "look" better.

Only time will tell where the team stands end of season and moving forward. Will MB care IF fans stop coming to protest his ruining the team? Don't know.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Buddy23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfriend View Post
You are correct but just didn't want to slam the kid for his father's illusions of grandeur. cannot comment on being a dressing room problem but you are right about the rest...taking spots of worthy players. Possible that other drafts have been manipulated to allow his kid to "look" better.

Only time will tell where the team stands end of season and moving forward. Will MB care IF fans stop coming to protest his ruining the team? Don't know.
I for one (a 25 year seasons ticket holder) will not be back! When the team shows an interest to contend rather than simply icing mediocre teams then and only then will I return .... Oh yes no CB either.

Old
12-17-2012, 07:24 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Agreed Cull is a very thick kid for his size, mostly all muscle too... seems he has figured out how to fight this year. Maybe Sefton is giving him a hand.

On that note, how come Sefton hasnt fought as much? no need? improving elsewhere?

Old
12-17-2012, 08:36 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile View Post
The issue next year will be goaltending. Vienneau is an OA and will be gone.
Dupuis is not ready yet and needs to get a chance to play some games (a player sell may help that )and Muzyka will only be ready for a backup roll next year. We will need a #1 goalie that is no more than 19 and a legitimate starter in the league . Maybe a very strong #1 at that.
Thats why if BS trades the Sudbury 5 this year, and gets draft picks and prospects, he can use some picks in a trade to secure an older proven goalie, or import goalie like Dansk, that can get the job done.

We will make the playoffs this year without the Sudbury 5, and it will be a learning program for the young players on the team. Next year is when they have to make a run at it, as per reasons I mentioned before.

If they can make a serious run next year, that will motivate other agents, players and parents to come to Sudbury, and hopefullly do some damage control.

Closed Thread