HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The oilers! A defensemen! And the 2013 draft!

Old
12-09-2012, 08:45 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemsky88 View Post
I would also go with Mackinnon, just because drafting a defenseman first is risky.
Agreed.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 04:31 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
Good call. If I remember correctly, Klefbom plays the right side on occasion (with Brodin I remember). Still, I'd prefer not to add to the pile up on the left.

Monahan is one of my favorites of the players that are plausible for the Oilers (along with Pulock) simply because he's older and more proven than many of the others. With a little luck and some other teams making mistakes (think Couturier falling in 2011) I think we could land him.
True, although if you ask me the target this year should be a center. Unless Jones slips, my personal preference order would be: Barkov, Monahan/Lindholm(debatable who will be better), Ristolainen, Pulock, Lazar. I like Lazar, have seen him lots with the OKs over the last year, but my big question is how will he be any different than Gagner in the pros.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:10 PM
DousedInOil

Not to sound like a downer but I think most Oiler fans on here are a little unrealistic when it comes to draft position. I mean, we've been a bit spoiled but if the lockout continues we will have virtually no chance at drafting in the top 10.

I don't think we should be worrying about Jones vs. MacKinnon let alone guys like Monohan or Lazar.

I guess it's nice to dream though.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Musashi

Ya does anybody like any prospects that are projected to go 20-30th in the draft?

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:18 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
Ya does anybody like any prospects that are projected to go 20-30th in the draft?
Not any that fit our needs...

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:24 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Not any that fit our needs...
I don't see why we can't get a big gritty winger/center that can fill a long term need on the second line around that position.

Number 1 goaltenders are also passed over and available later because of the risk involved.

Also a guy like John Carlson was taken in that position so we could add a top pairing defenceman (although it's unlikely).

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:43 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I don't see why we can't get a big gritty winger/center that can fill a long term need on the second line around that position.

Number 1 goaltenders are also passed over and available later because of the risk involved.

Also a guy like John Carlson was taken in that position so we could add a top pairing defenceman (although it's unlikely).
Oh for sure, just the only people I've watched that will likely be available then, don't really help us. I still think Jackson Houck is worth a look for our 2nd if we're picking bottom half. He cooled off a bit in November, but he's still near a PPG (5-21-26 in 30) on an absolutely terrible team(other than Houck, the next leading scorers are 20 year old Cheek at 23 points, and Kulak at 16). He's currently 6'0 190 lbs, and likes to throw his weight around. Reminds me a bit of a playmaking version of Pitlick

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 07:21 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Not to sound like a downer but I think most Oiler fans on here are a little unrealistic when it comes to draft position. I mean, we've been a bit spoiled but if the lockout continues we will have virtually no chance at drafting in the top 10.

I don't think we should be worrying about Jones vs. MacKinnon let alone guys like Monohan or Lazar.

I guess it's nice to dream though.
I'm kinda basing it on if they do play, if not its a total crapshoot. In 05 Montreal had one ball and picked fifth, so who knows.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:24 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Frederik Gauthier, maybe? Anybody?

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Hynh

Quote:
It's tricky to project which players will be in that range from this far out. Some players will rise, some will drop and some will fall on draft day. The players in the top 10 are much steadier. Not to mention, when you are wishing for players you always wish for the best ones.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:14 PM
40oz

Quote:
Kerby Rychel is really intriguing.

Alexander Wennberg is a big riser, alot of folks have him in the second round right now but we'll see come draft time. He'll be on the Swedish WJC team if you're looking for someone to watch during the tournament.

Haven't seen him play, but I've heard good things about Darnell Nurse from Sault St Marie. Plus he's 6'5, mean, and has some offense.

Last edited by 40oz: 12-09-2012 at 09:04 PM.
40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:26 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Depending where you look, Nikita Zadarov is around there, although he's on the rise.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:30 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I'd agree... Gauthier or Rychel look like solid later 1st round picks (if they are still available at that point).

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote