HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

More Luongo Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Numbers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
So you initially were saying...

Bozak
Kadri
Colborne
Blacker

If you took out Bozak and added in Connolly + Franson. Plus you could throw a salary dump our way as well?

Hmmmm

So, essentially it would be....

Connolly
Kadri
Colborne
Blacker
Franson

for

Luongo
+ salary dump
Connolly + Franson is not nearly as valuable as Bozak to Canucks. One reason I considered before is because of the 1st instead of Colborne. This deal is so much worse and an easy no. I was asking to sweeten the current deal like adding a pick or something, not rengineering. Anyways I'll just stick with my concensus:

Bozak
Kadri
Colborne
Blacker

Old
12-09-2012, 04:47 PM
dubey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
So you initially were saying...

Bozak
Kadri
Colborne
Blacker

If you took out Bozak and added in Connolly + Franson. Plus you could throw a salary dump our way as well?

Hmmmm

So, essentially it would be....

Connolly
Kadri
Colborne
Blacker
Franson

for

Luongo
+ salary dump
Luongo is a salary dump

Why on Earth would the Leafs give all of that up plus take on an additional salary dump

Old
12-09-2012, 04:59 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Luongo is a salary dump

Why on Earth would the Leafs give all of that up plus take on an additional salary dump
Because Canucks fans have been pounding their opinion that whoever trades for Roberto will have to pay a very significant price down everyone's throats. But the fact of the matter is that the Canucks have to get rid of Roberto's salary if he isn't contributing to the team as a starter. Otherwise it's dead space that the team cannot use to improve other areas of their club.

But yes, because it's the Canucks, every team is going to have to cough up multiple good prospects to get a deal done.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:59 PM
VasDimops

Quote:
Luongo is a salary dump

I think a lot of Vancouver fans are going to be disappointed from the return if/when Luongo gets traded.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Luongo is a salary dump

Luongo is in no way a salary dump. I do agree however that if wr bring him in...we can't take any more salary on top.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:02 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VasDimops View Post
I think a lot of Vancouver fans are going to be disappointed from the return if/when Luongo gets traded.
In all honestly, I'm kind of hoping Roberto stays with the Canucks. If his contract is great and he's a wonderful talent that will continue to perform well into his late 30s, why would they be so eager to trade him? I don't think Cory Schneider: 1) is good enough to carry the load full time, and 2) can carry the Canucks to the Stanley Cup.

The fact of the matter is that his contract leaves the team in a tenuous position.

This uneven bargaining position will more than likely lead to Mike Gillis accepting a crappy return for Roberto.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Numbers

Quote:
I think a lot of Vancouver fans are going to be happy from the return if/when Luongo gets traded.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
In all honestly, I'm kind of hoping Roberto stays with the Canucks. If his contract is great and he's a wonderful talent that will continue to perform well into his late 30s, why would they be so eager to trade him? I don't think Cory Schneider: 1) is good enough to carry the load full time, and 2) can carry the Canucks to the Stanley Cup.

The fact of the matter is that his contract leaves the team in a tenuous position.

This uneven bargaining position will more than likely lead to Mike Gillis accepting a crappy return for Roberto.
If the return is "crappy", he goes to FLA. Now i know this would make you happy because then we could watch all of our young talent lose for another year in the almighty quest for the elusive guaranteed superstar draft pick.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
If the return is "crappy", he goes to FLA. Now i know this would make you happy because then we could watch all of our young talent lose for another year in the almighty quest for the elusive guaranteed superstar draft pick.
I think he should change his tag line from "enemies w/ benefits" to "losing w/ benefits"

Old
12-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
I think he should change his tag line from "enemies w/ benefits" to "losing w/ benefits"
Haven't you heard...i'm a dinasour for wanting to win. Seems we must keep every prospect because even if they don't look good now...they may become good. Of course the good players we have now will bolt because we suck....should make for a fun cycle.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:19 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
I've responded to you before on this topic and I'm not sure why you keep misrepresenting my opinions / views. Tanking is not an option, IMO, and it never has been. Trading away the young talent the Leafs have is not an option either. But you already know this so I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time responding to another one of these posts.

There are other options out there to shore up our goaltending in creative ways that doesn't involve locking ourselves into a decade-long contract belonging to a 34 year old goaltender.

Long-term thinking is certainly taking a back seat to short-term relief that could cause huge problems in the future.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Haven't you heard...i'm a dinasour for wanting to win. Seems we must keep every prospect because even if they don't look good now...they may become good. Of course the good players we have now will bolt because we suck....should make for a fun cycle.
If your a dinasaur then I guess you should really change your name to "The Saurus". But in all seriousness you are right, what's the point of having good prospects if you don't plan in teaching them to win ever. Do some Leaf fans want wait so long to compete that when Kessel finally grows a playoff beard it is grey!

Old
12-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
I'll never understand that position. Toronto isn't even a bad team per se. They just have holes and an odd tendency to implode with authority. Seriously, ya guys with dominate or die. No grey. Called it biased, as I'm certain some will, but I think a good goalie would go a long way in getting Toronto back in shape.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
How original

Old
12-09-2012, 05:25 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
I've responded to you before on this topic and I'm not sure why you keep misrepresenting my opinions / views. Tanking is not an option, IMO, and it never has been. Trading away the young talent the Leafs have is not an option either. But you already know this so I'm not sure why I'm wasting my time responding to another one of these posts.

There are other options out there to shore up our goaltending in creative ways that doesn't involve locking ourselves into a decade-long contract belonging to a 34 year old goaltender.

Long-term thinking is certainly taking a back seat to short-term relief that could cause huge problems in the future.
Such as?

I think it comes down to do you want him or not? If you don't, thats fine I will not try to force him on anyone. I also think there is enough interest from around the league we can make a deal with someone else. But if you do want him, you have to be in all the way, we are not giving him away for crap. So if you don't want him, fine. I will not try to convince you that you should. But please stop spamming this thread with your crap.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:26 PM
dubey

Quote:
Because Canucks fans have been pounding their opinion that whoever trades for Roberto will have to pay a very significant price down everyone's throats. But the fact of the matter is that the Canucks have to get rid of Roberto's salary if he isn't contributing to the team as a starter. Otherwise it's dead space that the team cannot use to improve other areas of their club.

But yes, because it's the Canucks, every team is going to have to cough up multiple good prospects to get a deal done.
Has something changed since the lockout? I don't understand what has happened to these threads.

Wouldn't his value be even lower now? Luongo's potential suitors are going to lose one of his 'prime' years and would still be stuck with his albatross contract.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Numbers

Quote:

What other options are there to shore up goaltending without trading any young talent? Your creativity must be bordering fantasy. We ain't writing a science fiction novel in here, just a friendly reminder.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:

And what exactly are those other options? We constantly are told how we must move Lu and how few teams there are willing to take him. But what's Toronto's alternative save chancing it with Reimer?

Old
12-09-2012, 05:29 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Has something changed since the lockout? I don't understand what's happened to these threads.
I've been following them loosely since this saga began and I've seen a slow but sure increase in the asking price from Vancouver fans since it all went down.

Went from:

Good prospect like Jesse Blacker and a fourth round pick in 2012
to good prospect 1 + good prospect 2 + second round pick in 2012
to three good prospects + first round pick in 2013
to four good prospects + first round pick in 2013

And for no apparent reason either. It's more like Vancouver fans have been repeating those potential deals ad nauseum and now many feel that is fair asking price. Just ridiculous if you ask me.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Tell you what. I'll eat crow if we get a weak return if that means I get to obnoxiously gif spam you if we get something good.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Has something changed since the lockout? I don't understand what has happened to these threads.

Wouldn't his value be even lower now? Luongo's potential suitors are going to lose one of his 'prime' years and would still be stuck with his albatross contract.
If the season does happen this year it will be a shortened season. This means that every game played has a greater impact in final standings. So would that not raise the value of a star goalie? Especially with Burke's situation and this being his final chance to make playoffs.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:33 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
What other options are there to shore up goaltending without trading any young talent? Your creativity must be bordering fantasy. We ain't writing a science fiction novel in here, just a friendly reminder.
Thanks for the tip. I had no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
And what exactly are those other options? We constantly are told how we must move Lu and how few teams there are willing to take him. But what's Toronto's alternative save chancing it with Reimer?
That's why Brian Burke is paid the big bucks: to find solutions to problems that seem bleak. The solution certainly isn't taking an albatross contract off of Vancouver's hands for a ridiculous price.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
I've been following them loosely since this saga began and I've seen a slow but sure increase in the asking price from Vancouver fans since it all went down.

Went from:

And for no apparent reason either. It's more like Vancouver fans have been repeating those potential deals ad nauseum and now many feel that is fair asking price. Just ridiculous if you ask me.
When did any Nuck fan ever suggest Jesse Blacker and a fourth? You can search practically any one of our posts and I guarantee you that never happened. Our price may have fluctuated somewhat due to different opinions but it was down not up.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Numbers

Quote:

Went from:

Quote a proposal from this forum asking for 3 good prospects and 1st

Quote a proposal from this forum asking for 4 good prospects and 1st

Now you are just making thing up entirely.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:36 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
If the season does happen this year it will be a shortened season. This means that every game played has a greater impact in final standings. So would that not raise the value of a star goalie? Especially with Burke's situation and this being his final chance to make playoffs.
If Brian Burke thinks that adding an albatross contract that could hamstring the team in as little as a year or two just to make the playoffs in a shortened season is a good idea, he wouldn't be a general manager in the NHL.

Closed Thread