HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames - Maple Leafs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-09-2012, 03:43 PM
  #76
supert
Registered User
 
supert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
Prospects change of scenery trade.

To Calgary:

Joe Colborne + Kenny Ryan.

To Toronto:

Max Reinhart + Michael Ferland.
I am an Oiler fan that lived in Calgary for over 10 years . Calgary is my second favorite team . Go figure . The Flames would not touch this . Now keep in mind i only know what i see posted by fans on hf boards , I never watched Colborne play ,but is he not looking more and more like a bust .
Honest question

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:54 PM
  #77
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,697
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Again show me a quote I remember it being a conditioning stint, thats great the Horak played over Stajan but under Sutter everyone played over Stajan. Horak was solid but he simply didn't play much when he did play, Backlund was easily more effective last season(before this season when he had a couple injuries derail his season) than Horak was this year. So if Backlund is healthy he is a better option than Horak.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/06/26...-from-backlund

Quote:
“I don’t think Mikael’s in a great bargaining position,” Feaster said. “I don’t think Mikael’s a guy who’s going to get Group 2 offer sheets. I’m not worried about having to match an offer sheet. I suppose if he wants to play in Europe, that’s his prerogative, and he can do that. Otherwise, this is a player who has yet to establish himself as to what he is in the National Hockey League.”
Quote:
“Mikael knows from numerous conversations he and I had last year there were many times that he whistled right past the graveyard,” Feaster said. “He was ticketed to go to Abbotsford. He didn’t need waivers to go down. There were a couple of times we told him he was going to go down, and whether there was an injury to a forward, a possible suspension of a forward or ultimately an injury to Mikael, he never was sent down.
I don't think management views Backlund as the 'established' third line center some fans see him as.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:22 PM
  #78
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/06/26...-from-backlund





I don't think management views Backlund as the 'established' third line center some fans see him as.
Alright thanks, I guys you were right he was looking like he would be sent down but again Horak was also sent down so its kinda moot.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:29 PM
  #79
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,697
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Alright thanks, I guys you were right he was looking like he would be sent down but again Horak was also sent down so its kinda moot.
Last year was Horak's first pro season, while it was Backlund's third. Horak's level of play and consistent effort floored the organization and coaching staff while Backlund's disappointed.

The whole sending down thing was only to show that Backlund is by no means an established player.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:50 PM
  #80
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Last year was Horak's first pro season, while it was Backlund's third. Horak's level of play and consistent effort floored the organization and coaching staff while Backlund's disappointed.

The whole sending down thing was only to show that Backlund is by no means an established player.
Like I said before a healthy Backlund is better than a healthy Horak but the difference isn't what it was last year.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:06 AM
  #81
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,697
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Like I said before a healthy Backlund is better than a healthy Horak but the difference isn't what it was last year.
If you're referring to Horak's performance in the AHL this year, I'd agree.

Just looking at his goal tonight (4:40 of this video), you can see Horak's game. Not at all afraid to lay the body and he keeps it simple by going to the net. I can't even tell you how many times I would throw up my arms last year when Backs would take a weak shot from the outside instead of driving to the net. Incredibly frustrating. He's a talented player, but he just doesn't 'get it.' Not yet at least. Whether he can prove himself given his next opportunity remains to be seen.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:43 AM
  #82
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,312
vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Last year was Horak's first pro season, while it was Backlund's third. Horak's level of play and consistent effort floored the organization and coaching staff while Backlund's disappointed.

The whole sending down thing was only to show that Backlund is by no means an established player.
http://flamesnation.ca/2012/8/20/tim...calgary-flames
http://flamesnation.ca/2012/1/9/the-...ikael-backlund
http://flamesnation.ca/2012/6/14/the...-6-roman-horak
^give those a quick read.

Obviously Horak impressed while Backlund disappointed, NOTHING was expected from Horak, not a thing, no one would have batted an eye if he didn't come close to playing in the NHL. For Backlund it was basically, anything other than a breakout would be disappointing, especially after the training camp that he had. And I still don't get where your statements that Horak was better defensively come from? Because people raved about his "effort" and how "coachable" he was? You seem to forget that he was EXTREMELY sheltered. Like I said, I think your jumping the Horak hype train a little early. He's not as good as Backlund, plain and simple, neither are absolute locks to be in the NHL whenever it starts back up, but I would bet Backlund has more of a chance a being there than Horak.


Last edited by tmurfin: 12-10-2012 at 02:59 AM.
tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:04 PM
  #83
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
If you're referring to Horak's performance in the AHL this year, I'd agree.

Just looking at his goal tonight (4:40 of this video), you can see Horak's game. Not at all afraid to lay the body and he keeps it simple by going to the net. I can't even tell you how many times I would throw up my arms last year when Backs would take a weak shot from the outside instead of driving to the net. Incredibly frustrating. He's a talented player, but he just doesn't 'get it.' Not yet at least. Whether he can prove himself given his next opportunity remains to be seen.
Yes is he a much more well rounded player this year in the AHL he has gotten some real confidence but he isn't playing center and I doubt he ever becomes a permanent center in the NHL, but his game is really well suited to playing on the wing.

Again the main reason I wouldn't trade Backlund for Colborne is Backland has much more talent than Colborne, Backlund had a bad year last year no doubt but if he too finds confidence like Horak has than he could a real solid 2C center.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:25 PM
  #84
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,691
vCash: 500
Backlund has flashes of brilliance, but he lacks that consistency. His skill is observable, but he lacks strength and often confidence.

If he can work on his stick strength and his balance, I think he could be a 40 point player as soon as this (or next year).

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:25 PM
  #85
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,697
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
http://flamesnation.ca/2012/8/20/tim...calgary-flames
http://flamesnation.ca/2012/1/9/the-...ikael-backlund
http://flamesnation.ca/2012/6/14/the...-6-roman-horak
^give those a quick read.

Obviously Horak impressed while Backlund disappointed, NOTHING was expected from Horak, not a thing, no one would have batted an eye if he didn't come close to playing in the NHL. For Backlund it was basically, anything other than a breakout would be disappointing, especially after the training camp that he had. And I still don't get where your statements that Horak was better defensively come from? Because people raved about his "effort" and how "coachable" he was? You seem to forget that he was EXTREMELY sheltered. Like I said, I think your jumping the Horak hype train a little early. He's not as good as Backlund, plain and simple, neither are absolute locks to be in the NHL whenever it starts back up, but I would bet Backlund has more of a chance a being there than Horak.
The numbers are interesting but don't really support what most observed from Backlund. The Flames, who have access to the same metrics (if not more detailed) weren't looking to give Backlund the same benefit of the doubt.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:52 PM
  #86
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
The numbers are interesting but don't really support what most observed from Backlund. The Flames, who have access to the same metrics (if not more detailed) weren't looking to give Backlund the same benefit of the doubt.
I think most would disagree that Horak was better defensively, I would agree with tmufin that Backlund had high expectations and failed on them which made people sour on him where as Horak had no expectation and showed he could play in the nhl so people were quiet happy with him.

There is nothing I have seen that has made me believe that Horak is better than Backlund in anyway.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.