HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 06:37 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Not really a fair question, but I will answer anyways...atleast out of the D named to camp today.

The guys I would trade Siemens for, considering our prospect stable:

Hamilton
Reinhart
Rielly
Dumba, maybe

I really like guys like Harrington, Ouellet and Sproul but I think Siemens is still well above them in terms of potential.

Pouliot would be in the mix too, but we already have good offensive D prospects.
Sorry, meant it in a "Of the d that were invited, whom would you say are better than Siemens?" type of question. Since you follow these guys the closest here you seemed most qualified to answer that type of question.

How has he looked in comparison to his fellow defenders such as Thrower and Dietz this season, curiously? We haven't had a lot of good news, but not too much in the way of bad news either from Duncan. Getting the impression he's hit a stalemate in his development and may need to jump up to the next level to start progressing again.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
No surprise. That tournament has lost a lot of its luster for me in recent years anyhow. I migh have the opportunity to go to the World Under 17s in Victoriaville around the same time anyways.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:08 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Sorry, meant it in a "Of the d that were invited, whom would you say are better than Siemens?" type of question. Since you follow these guys the closest here you seemed most qualified to answer that type of question.

How has he looked in comparison to his fellow defenders such as Thrower and Dietz this season, curiously? We haven't had a lot of good news, but not too much in the way of bad news either from Duncan. Getting the impression he's hit a stalemate in his development and may need to jump up to the next level to start progressing again.
Thrower has hardly played, between injury and discipline from the team, he's hardly seen any time. He's been very average in the games he has appeared in. Set to return soon from an upper body injury.

Dietz was the team's MVP through the first 15 or so games of the year. Was the best defenceman, was scoring and playing top minutes along with Siemens. Since that time Siemens has really got his feet under him and has been our best defenceman, in my opinion. Really moving his feet and jumping into the rush more lately, which was a big strong point for him in his draft year. He creates big lanes when driving the ice offensively and it's nice to see him doing that a bit more.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Glasscog

vCash: 500
Based on the stat line, it looks like Siemens is killing it tonight. D. Thrower paired back with him? (Regina a bad team this year?)

Old
12-08-2012, 11:12 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Omg I've never seen this before, Siemens a -7 to start tonight's game, well Saskatoon won 9-0 and effin Duncan was a positive 7 making his +\- to zero.

Also Regina is a average team who will be a boarderline playoff team, but no way should they be losing 9-0. Off night I must say and theyve had the injury bug so far this year.

Last edited by S E P H: 12-08-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old
12-08-2012, 11:16 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasscog View Post
Based on the stat line, it looks like Siemens is killing it tonight. D. Thrower paired back with him? (Regina a bad team this year?)
Yeah I don't care how bad of a team Regina may or may not be, +7 doesn't happen by accident. Duncan must have been in beast mode.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Yeah I don't care how bad of a team Regina may or may not be, +7 doesn't happen by accident. Duncan must have been in beast mode.
I haven't seen the games but by keeping tabs on him, it seems that he's been a different player since that Subway series game. Probably got a lot of confidence back from playing very well in that game against some pretty tough competition.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
The plus/minus stat is almost totally irrelevant.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:55 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Would tend to agree when its +1 or 2 or -1 or 2 but when you are +7 for a game it means you were doing lots of things right.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Would tend to agree when its +1 or 2 or -1 or 2 but when you are +7 for a game it means you were doing lots of things right.
For one game? That's an outlier. Much more telling when compared to a season against similar players on the team.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Exactly, can't read too much into it. Kind of like Wayne Gagner's 8 point game or whatever number it was

Old
12-09-2012, 09:01 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
He had a good game last night, but I agree that +7 is just one of those things that happens sometimes. Dalton Thrower was back in the lineup and paired with Duncan and they looked just like old times. Team was clicking and also blew out Regina 7-0 today too.

Siemens has been flat out fantastic since just before the Subway Series.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:06 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
That's what Nick Lidstrom, Raymond Bourque, and Denis Potvin said (Peter Forsberg, too). Enter here the pretty good player of your choice who didn't/doesn't have a good +/-_________________(I know there's lots, and I know there's lots of good avs - past & present- too) but.......

For my $ if the other team can't score when you're on the ice and your team can score when you're on the ice.....over, and over and over and over......you're doing your job. If the situation is reversed, you probably aren't.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTheGreat View Post
That's what Nick Lidstrom, Raymond Bourque, and Denis Potvin said (Peter Forsberg, too). Enter here the pretty good player of your choice who didn't/doesn't have a good +/-_________________(I know there's lots, and I know there's lots of good avs - past & present- too) but.......

For my $ if the other team can't score when you're on the ice and your team can score when you're on the ice.....over, and over and over and over......you're doing your job. If the situation is reversed, you probably aren't.
Quote:
For one game? That's an outlier. Much more telling when compared to a season against similar players on the team.

As you can see, that's not really what Hek was talking about.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Can someone tell me what makes this pool better than this pool to the point where the first is the 7th best pool in the league and the last is 28th best pool in the league?

Old
12-10-2012, 08:28 AM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
As you can see, that's not really what Hek was talking about.
Seems to me that his original post identified the stat, not the line for the specific game, then his 2nd post referenced the game. Either way, I've heard/read plenty who discount +/- and I disagree with that line of thinking. And fwiw, one blown up stat like that is an outlier and nothing for anyone to hang hats upon.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Can someone tell me what makes this pool better than this pool to the point where the first is the 7th best pool in the league and the last is 28th best pool in the league?
You should know by now that these guys just don't know who a lot of our prospects are. It's ALWAYS been that way. The Avs have churned out NHL Player after NHL player over the years and those guys never got a decent 'HFboard' grade and always flew under the radar. It's just the way it is and basically, since they apparently can't LEARN that our scouting is near the top of the league and always dismiss our prospects, I put ZERO stock in this site's ability to tell me anything about a player's future possibilities. (or other teams' prospects since some of way overhyped)

Old
12-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Lonewolfe2015

I should know, but I continually get frustrated seeing this. The authors post on this forum, they can see our discussions and just shrug it off as homer comments. I'm fully willing to admit another team is better when they are. But Tampa Bay is getting massively overrated and the Avs are massively underrated.

It's just annoying that we're seen as a 3rd-rate franchise with a bunch of promise yet our prospects are supposedly terrible. With Landeskog HFboards voted us top 5 in the 2011 Summer. Without Landeskog we fell this far? Nothing else has really changed.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Agreed, there's no point reading much into people's thoughts on our prospects or players tbh.

Shattenkirk went from being a very underrated prospect with us to "better than EJ" in a year. Similarly, you can bet that Siemens, had Hamilton not fallen, would be much more hyped if Philly had drafted him.

Or imagine if Elliott and Barrie were Oilers prospects - we would never hear the end about their surefire top pairing future (lol Klefbom) while who really follows them outside of Avs fans right now?

Old
12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Btw I just notice Hishon still hasn't played this season, any update on his concussion situation?

12-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Btw I just notice Hishon still hasn't played this season, any update on his concussion situation?
Not really. It's been 18 months now. I think at this point, there isn't any reason to be optimistic about his future.

I'm not sure it's a concussion issue. It could be a vertebrae issue.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:14 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Not really. It's been 18 months now. I think at this point, there isn't any reason to be optimistic about his future.

I'm not sure it's a concussion issue. It could be a vertebrae issue.
Yeah, one of the latest updates we've got about Hishon, hinted about possible whiplash like Crosby's situation.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Yeah, one of the latest updates we've got about Hishon, hinted about possible whiplash like Crosby's situation.
It's additionally worrisome that the poster who first mentioned Hishon started new treatments that would keep him out of camp and action for 4 weeks. That was on 9/20. It's 12/10 now.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTheGreat View Post
Seems to me that his original post identified the stat, not the line for the specific game, then his 2nd post referenced the game. Either way, I've heard/read plenty who discount +/- and I disagree with that line of thinking. And fwiw, one blown up stat like that is an outlier and nothing for anyone to hang hats upon.
It's a team stat applied to an individual. It's almost totally worthless except in very specific instances. The quality of the team has far more impact on plus/minus than individual ability.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Because Tampa has the awesomeness that is Vaselineskiiiiy. Ok seriously? They have a lot of HF highly related prospects. Gusev was drafted 202 in 2012 and a 7.0 but Smith is a 6.0. Then they have a ton of late drafted or undrafted prospects who have done really well in the AHL so far that they are rated an auto 7.0 or 7.5. Tampa has a lot of "numbers" type of guys who may even do well in the NHL especially playing with Stamkos, Lecavalier, etc. in the more open East. While the Avs play in the West and draft more for Pro viable prospects. While it would be nice if the Avs ratings fell more inline with Tampa and others who rate a skilled player with a higher number but with a lower letter/likelihood...the ratings for the Avs seem to reflect the under-rated hard working type they have in the system.

Closed Thread