HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

No more!! The fans are the ones losing, will you pledge? *Just Drop It campaign*

Old
12-09-2012, 03:41 PM
OpAck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
OK, first off, season ticket holders, especially those who have been through prior lockouts, paid for their tickets knowing full well this was the expiration year of the CBA and a lockout was possible. I, for one, chose to do so because I anticipated that some hockey would be played and, if not, that my money would go to the next season and guarantee the seats I've had for 15 years with my friends. It's the chance you take. Customers of all businesses are probably pretty much considered "sentient wallets," you either buy or your don't.

As for not giving the NHL any money - what do you propose season ticket holders who have already paid for their tickets do? No food at the arena, no merchandise there or elsewhere. Fine. Do you really suggest we not attend the games we've already paid for?
Exactly. You get 30K fans on board (which is a very generous figure IMO) with this who are actually COMMITTED to doing it and don't crack when they miss a game when their favorite player gets off to his fastest start...that might equate to about 1K fans per team for what may only be 5-10 games. Big deal.

STH's already bought those tickets...so they'll be there. I'm sure some arenas already inflate their attendance figures...so they'll make it look good. Plus, if the league ever smartly gives the fans a heavily discounted or even free season access to GameCenter...alot of the complainers will quickly get over the 30-some odd games they lost out on.

Believe me...I've thought of ways of getting back at these guys...as a fan. Unless you have overwhelming support from NHL fans and can really come up with an idea to stick it to these guys...it's just going to be business as usual. Short of ALL collectively giving up on the league ALTOGETHER, which I don't think any of us would commit to doing...they've got us by the cajones. Owners, league officials, players...they all know they've got "make nice" with the fans after this, and they all know...eventually...we'll be back throwing our dollars and support for our teams. Might not be one week, one month...but we'll eventually come back around. This "pledge" only solidifies the fact that, even after 30+ games down the toilet...we'll come back around. It just might take us a week or two. They'll have no problem waiting for us.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 04:06 PM
tjcurrie

My only issue with this is that it puts more pressure on the owners rather than the players side. Once the league resumes play and contracts are valid, the players get paid regardless of who is watching. So I don't think this campaign is really aimed in the right direction. I would rather see pressure put on the players some how. And along with the owners, boycotting will hurt more people who make the arenas go on game days like the guys/gals who serve beer etc. rather than the players.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 04:07 PM
njdevilsownnhl*

Send a message via AIM to njdevilsownnhl*
lol nobody watches hockey anyways

njdevilsownnhl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 04:11 PM
BIGBLUESHIRTSNYY

A lot of good replies!! Basically we all love hockey!! We get screwed either way and that's what sucks!!!!

BIGBLUESHIRTSNYY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
I'm all for not attending games live or buying any merchandise but seeing I live in Montreal and watch Vancouver. I either get Centre Ice or no Nucks at all. I want my damn hockey!

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 04:46 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

The only boycotts that will ever work is the targeted boycott of sponsors of the league. Very few STH's and fans will quit buying tix. If the sponsors get the message and cease their partnerships with the NHL and or NHLPA, that in turns means less revenue to the league. The league also is put in a worst position to recruit new sponsors.

The only real financial power hockey fans have would be if hockey fans in Canada quit drinking pepsi products and eating at McDonalds until these corporations end or amend their relationship with the NHL.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Elever
Hth

Saw a cheap $20 Leafs t-shirt at Old Navy in my size....had an NHL tag attached to it, didn't buy.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

I'm sure this will be posted again and again...
Why just Dec 21st? Why not all the games that have been lost?

I, an Isles fan (living in Raleigh) am doing my best to avoid putting any money into any owner(s) pocket(s) for as long as I can. I was shopping with the wife for Christmas stuff, saw a 'Canes jersey and said, "That'll be great for our son! He'll love it." Then she reminded me, "No money for as long as we can hold out."

No jersey for my son for Christmas.

I say ALL THE GAMES LOST! Not just from Dec 21st.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBLUESHIRTSNYY View Post

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
I won't buy any tickets or merchandise, but I'll definitely watch...so I half-support this movement!

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:31 PM
L4cer8

Question regarding illegal streams: is there much if any ad revenue generated from viewing them?

L4cer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Seanahue

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondillium View Post
nah, screw pledges, i'll watch hockey instead while others are choosing to not enjoy themselves.
bingo!

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
I haven't spent one dime on the NHL during this lockout. For Christmas not one dime was spent on NHL style gifts either. Also December 21st? What about the games they screwed us over out of now?
This+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper17 View Post
MOD

The NHL thinks of you as a sentient wallet, you do understand that?

Just to clarify, you can still check the scores and watch highlights. Just dont directly give the NHL any money. At the very least dont go to any live games, thats where it hurts them most.
Plus that^^^^^^^^^

Equals hundreds of millions of dollars lost.

I take the pledge up to only watching the games on tv. The tv deal is already in place people, and I don't want the league to crumble, just enough hurt they get our point that we deserve better treatment when it comes to these matters.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Big Phil

I'm furious right now, but I just want the best league in the world back to make everything right. The joke isn't on us as much as it is the players anyway. They are losing money left right and centre with this lockout. Brad Richards could look long and hard and he'll never find a job where he is as overpaid (even to NHL standards) as he is in New York. You can never get that back. Ever.

So many players will never play again. Their problem, not mine. Jokes on them. Some guys may have needed one or two more elite seasons to get into the Hall of Fame when all is said and done. That's their problem, not mine. The more things change the more they stay the same, the song remains the same, you know? A slew of new players will show up and do the same thing next decade and expect to change the world. It is a little humourous if it weren't altogether sad.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:24 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
I'll be back and spending my money. I don't take it as personally as a lot of people seem to be. I'm making monthly payments on my ST and just bought a 1/2 price sweatshirt last week. There are 8000 people on the waiting list in Winnipeg that would scoop up anything available. We went 15 years without our team...a couple months without hockey is a drop in the bucket and well worth it if it helps the the middle and lower market teams survive.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
the song remains the same, you know?
Indeed the song remains the same, but pretty soon the players will be singing the rain song as their careers are over the hills and far away

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Renbarg

I'll be back starting day one (whenever that is).

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:42 PM
EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:43 PM
PatriceBergeronrules

Good luck with that. I'm a Bruins fan and there's no way I'm hell I'm not watching this current roster any chance that I get. I don't care about ownership or Bettman once the games start. The ******** are out of the picture once the puck is dropped.

In a month we're not going to care about this stuff. Unless your team blows.

PatriceBergeronrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 07:20 PM
tANNERRRR54

How about....no?

tANNERRRR54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 07:38 PM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quite frankly, those that say I'll be going back to the NHL as soon as this mess is settled are contributing to the problem. I liken it to someone who has been abused(doesn't matter how)who goes back to the abuser because they promise that they've changed.

Get some self-respect, for once in your damned lives! The NHL, the teams, the owners, and the players must pay DEARLY for putting not only the fans, but those who work in ancillary businesses, through this crap once again for the third time in nearly 20 years. Hit them through every avenue possible.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 07:42 PM
ckg927

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
I haven't spent one dime on the NHL during this lockout. For Christmas not one dime was spent on NHL style gifts either. Also December 21st? What about the games they screwed us over out of now?
AMEN, brother.

This idea should have been started on Day 1, NOT Day whatever the hell it is now. And it should spread to ANY company that sponsors the NHL.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:44 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

No thanks.

I was pro player when this started but now I'm pro owner. So no way, should the season get started, would I boycott the very businesses who will need every penny. Not just teams, etc. but restaurants, hotels, concessionaires, etc.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 07:48 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
I don't get it.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 07:57 PM
ckg927

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
I don't get it.
I do.

NEVER take your customers for granted. That's the point they're making.