HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 03:57 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
lol... really? I see that I still have a lot of work to do in this thread but for now I have way better things to do... I will stop by once again when I find a bit of time... But this comment, I had to quote it right away

Really? I am a bit disappointed... I thought a prerogative to be a mod was to be able to read... at least

So you just misread or you were being hyppocrite, taking it out of context?

Here's what I said...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1&postcount=46

Where did I even compared Couturier to Greening? Not the same role, not the same position, not the same style... I was naming forwards who had a great rookie season last year, that's all...
You said, to paraphrase, that Couturier's rookie season is being overvalued, it wasn't as good as many are saying, and that other players had similar rookie seasons, for example, Greening.

Ergo, Greening's season is comparable to Couturier's.

I said no, Greening's season isn't comparable to Couturier for a variety of reasons.

I probably should have been more explicit about it being a comparison of their seasons. I assumed that, because I was quoting you, people would realize the context was as a season-to-season comparison, rather than a value of the player comparison.

And the personal shot about 'a mod being able to read' is really uncalled for. I didn't throw any personal attacks at you, there should be no need to attack me.

12-08-2012, 04:51 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Greening had a better rookie season than Couturier.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:16 PM
sg58

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
You are talking points-wise, right?

Old
12-08-2012, 05:19 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Quote:
You could argue it I guess (I would give the edge to Couturier quite comfortably).

Greening is six years older though, I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:22 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
A 25 year old rookie?

I hope you aren't being serious.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:25 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Why compare Greening and Couterier, completely different rolls, and Couterier wasn't available when we picked Greening.

Old
12-08-2012, 06:16 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
If you consider only the most basic statistics, yes. Otherwise, I'd disagree. Couturier's season was more remarkable than Greening's when you consider things like role, experience, physical maturity, etc.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:44 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Could care less that Silf is 3 years older, I still project Silf to be the better player long term.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:03 PM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Could care less that Silf is 3 years older, I still project Silf to be the better player long term.
Waiting for a poster with a Zibanejad avatar to say otherwise

Old
12-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Kush

I ran into coach Mclean yesterday, and we talked hockey for a bit. First of all, he doesn't think we'll have hockey this year
I asked him if Zibby was going top make it to the NHL, and he said "some day". I then asked him if they made a mistake drafting Zibby ahead of Couturie. He looked surprised I asked him that question, and his answer was "only time will tell". All in all, a great guy.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kush View Post
I ran into coach Mclean yesterday, and we talked hockey for a bit. First of all, he doesn't think we'll have hockey this year
I asked him if Zibby was going top make it to the NHL, and he said "some day". I then asked him if they made a mistake drafting Zibby ahead of Couturie. He looked surprised I asked him that question, and his answer was "only time will tell". All in all, a great guy.
Most Swedish players take a little longer to develop.

Very few Swedes come into the league as 19-20 year olds and make an impact. Forsberg wasn't even in the NHL at that age.

I do fear that Zibs hockey IQ isn't good enough, same problem as Paajarvi and Hedman.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post

Very few Swedes come into the league as 19-20 year olds and make an impact. Forsberg wasn't even in the NHL at that age.

I do fear that Zibs hockey IQ isn't good enough, same problem as Paajarvi and Hedman.
You can be a scorer even if you have poor hockey sense, your feet and other attributes have to make up for it though. Considering size may also be one of those factors, filling out physically will likely help over the next couple years.

Old
12-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post

I think Zibanejad's shot is enough to somewhat negate his average hockey IQ. Not too many guys who get under 45 points can shoot like he does

Old
12-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Canuckman44

Quote:
A prediction is really an educated guess. You have your opinion and you are entitled to have it. I think Zibby in 3 years will be better. He just needs to drive to the net harder and not take the long outside shots all the time.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:22 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
A prediction is really an educated guess. You have your opinion and you are entitled to have it. I think Zibby in 3 years will be better. He just needs to drive to the net harder and not take the long outside shots all the time.
Psst, he works with the Sens and called a couple of picks we made so i think he know what he is talking about.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:43 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
Psst, he works with the Sens and called a couple of picks we made so i think he know what he is talking about.
I actually agree with DJB but just because you have insiders doesn't mean you know what you are talking about. It means you have connections.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:48 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
DJB doesn't work with the sens. I think you're thinking BDP.

DJB is a paramedic I believe.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
I think Zibanejad's shot is enough to somewhat negate his average hockey IQ. Not too many guys who get under 45 points can shoot like he does
That's my thinking process as well.

If he fails to be a scorer, I imagine he'll have left a lot of people, that aren't Sens fans, wrong. Even at this point, despite his first 20 professional games in North America at 19.

I think a true star prospect would have made a smooth transition, so if I don't see a very marked improvement by the end of the season, and the 2nd half in particular is big itself, I'll be quite certain we don't have a star player on our hands.

My gut tells me he should be shooting for something similar to Milan Michalek. He's big and he's explosive and mostly because of those two things, he can play defense effectively against top players because he can skate with them. And he scores because he finds a way to get in alone with goaltenders quite a bit. Doesn't hold on to the puck because he's got little hockey sense but doesn't have to. A #3 or #4 forward on most teams.

I think he's got more natural tools than Michalek so if his progress rate improves I could see him being a guy that's a little better than Michalek. Still think it's reasonable to think he becomes a pretty similar caliber of player.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 12-09-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old
12-09-2012, 11:17 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post

Nailed it.

I have no connections to management unfortunately.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:19 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

I mean even if Zib only ends up being a real solid 3rd liner that can play a shutdown role but is also good enough to move up to the top 6 when needed, that's still a solid player.

Dissapointing for a top 6 pick but I don't think he will bust in terms of never making an NHL career.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
I mean even if Zib only ends up being a real solid 3rd liner that can play a shutdown role but is also good enough to move up to the top 6 when needed, that's still a solid player.

Dissapointing for a top 6 pick but I don't think he will bust in terms of never making an NHL career.
This is probably a pretty conservative projection anyways.

You just described Colin Greening. A player who at 19 played in the BCHL and at 20 scored 19 points in 31 games at Cornell.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 12-09-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old
12-09-2012, 11:37 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
You can be a scorer even if you have poor hockey sense, your feet and other attributes have to make up for it though. Considering size may also be one of those factors, filling out physically will likely help over the next couple years.
The funny thing is, when I see Fisher I see average hockey IQ. When I see Zibanejad I do not see an average IQ. He just needs time and rumination.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
The funny thing is, when I see Fisher I see average hockey IQ. When I see Zibanejad I do not see an average IQ. He just needs time and rumination.
I don't think he's got a high end hockey sense. But I do think a lot of the criticisms are overblown.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:53 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
That's my thinking process as well.

If he fails to be a scorer, I imagine he'll have left a lot of people, that aren't Sens fans, wrong. Even at this point, despite his first 20 professional games in North America at 19.

I think a true star prospect would have made a smooth transition, so if I don't see a very marked improvement by the end of the season, and the 2nd half in particular is big itself, I'll be quite certain we don't have a star player on our hands.

My gut tells me he should be shooting for something similar to Milan Michalek. He's big and he's explosive and mostly because of those two things, he can play defense effectively against top players because he can skate with them. And he scores because he finds a way to get in alone with goaltenders quite a bit. Doesn't hold on to the puck because he's got little hockey sense but doesn't have to. A #3 or #4 forward on most teams.

I think he's got more natural tools than Michalek so if his progress rate improves I could see him being a guy that's a little better than Michalek. Still think it's reasonable to think he becomes a pretty similar caliber of player.
the more i think about the michalek comparison, the more i see it happening. I do think zibby might end up a better passer than michalek, and he has a better slapshot, but i don't see him being quite as fast or strong. i'm really in the faction that believes zibanejad needs to cut to the net and get his shots from better locations. wrist shots from the blue line are not acceptable.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post

BDP doesn't work for the Sens. His dad cleans the dressing rooms.

Closed Thread