HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

NHL 2013 Draft War Room Top 90 December Rankings

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-08-2012, 02:16 PM
  #1
chrisralph007
HFB Partner
 
chrisralph007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
NHL 2013 Draft War Room Top 90 December Rankings

E-Mac's unique spin on NHL draft analysis is back for the 2013 entry draft, with a 9 part series hosted at The Hockey Writers:

Part 1: The Top 10

Part 2: 11-20

Stay tuned as the rest of the rankings are rolled out.
Note: These are separate from THW's exclusive The Next Ones rankings; simply providing additional and unique insight on this intriguing draft class.

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:17 PM
  #2
chrisralph007
HFB Partner
 
chrisralph007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Part 3 is now live at THW.

That completes Round 1 of E-Mac's rankings.

Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-nhl...-part-3-21-30/

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:37 PM
  #3
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Good rankings, Chris!

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 04:07 PM
  #4
chrisralph007
HFB Partner
 
chrisralph007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
Good rankings, Chris!
Thanks Danueurism; in this case, credit has to go to my colleague, Eldon (aka E-Mac) as this is his rankings. For this series, I'm just the editor.

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 05:55 PM
  #5
ikelechien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Braeshore
Country: Canada
Posts: 611
vCash: 500
Here is the top 30. If U want more info, just click on the links that Chris has provided. The links also have the other major rankings listed.

1. MacKinnon, Nathan – C - Halifax, QMJHL
2. Jones, Seth – D - Portland, WHL
3. Monahan, Sean – C – Ottawa, OHL
4. Drouin, Jonathan - LW/C – Halifax, QMJHL
5. Barkov, Alexander – C - Tappara, SM-liiga (Finnish Elite League)
6. Lindholm, Elias – C - Brynδs, Elitserien (Swedish Elite League)
7. Shinkaruk, Hunter – LW - Medicine Hat, WHL
8. Ristolainen, Rasmus – D – TPS, SM-liiga
9. Pulock, Ryan – D – Brandon, WHL
10. Nurse, Darnell – D – Sault Ste. Marie, OHL
11. Burakovsky, Andrι – LW – Malmφ, Allsvenskan (2nd Swedish professional league)
12. Zadarov, Nikita – D – London, WHL
13. Mantha, Anthony – RW – Val d’Or, QMJHL
14. Morrissey, Josh – D – Prince Albert, WHL
15. Erne, Adam - RW - Quιbec, QMJHL
16. Hδgg, Robert – D - MODO J20 – SWE-J20
17. Gauthier, Frιdιrik – C - Rimouski, QMJHL
18. Duclair, Anthony – LW - Quιbec, QMJHL
19. Domi, Max – C – London, OHL
20. Lazar, Curtis – C/RW – Edmonton, WHL
21. Dickinson, Jason – W/C – Guelph, OHL
22. Lehkonen, Artturi – LW – Kal-Pa, SM-liiga
23. Rychel, Kerby – LW – Windsor, OHL
24. Compher, JT – C – USA U18, USHL
25. Zykov, Valentin – RW – Baie-Comeau, QMJHL
26. Thompson, Keaton – D - USA U18, USHL
27. Fasching, Hudson – RW - USA U18, USHL
28. Carrier, William – LW – Cape Breton, QMJHL
29. Bowey, Madison – D – Kelowna, WHL
30. Santini, Steve – D - USA U18, USHL

ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:11 PM
  #6
Flynn84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Russia
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
No Nichushkin even in the top30? It's a big mistake, i think.
He's much better prospect than Zykov for example.
P.S. Zadorov, not Zadarov

Flynn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:28 PM
  #7
ikelechien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Braeshore
Country: Canada
Posts: 611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn84 View Post
No Nichushkin even in the top30? It's a big mistake, i think.
He's much better prospect than Zykov for example.
P.S. Zadorov, not Zadarov
U are probably correct; however, Zykov hasn't signed a 3 year in Russia and is playing in North America. I have Nichushkin in 31 to 40 because I don't believe most teams will touch him in round 1; I could be wrong; we'll just have to see how it plays out.

ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:50 PM
  #8
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikelechien View Post
U are probably correct; however, Zykov hasn't signed a 3 year in Russia and is playing in North America. I have Nichushkin in 31 to 40 because I don't believe most teams will touch him in round 1; I could be wrong; we'll just have to see how it plays out.
I believe they will. He is just too skilled and too big to be passed up. For me, the main question is, will he be picked in the top 15? I can see him dropping but not out the top 30. Just my two cents, based on viewing from the SS and last years WJC U18.

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:54 PM
  #9
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,081
vCash: 500
If this is a mock draft, leaving Nichushkin out might have some validity.

If we are simply ranking the best draft eligible players for 2013, Nichushkin shouldn't be any lower than 15 and realistically should be top 10.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 07:48 PM
  #10
ikelechien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Braeshore
Country: Canada
Posts: 611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
If this is a mock draft, leaving Nichushkin out might have some validity.

If we are simply ranking the best draft eligible players for 2013, Nichushkin shouldn't be any lower than 15 and realistically should be top 10.
I never rank goalies above where I believe they will be drafted - hence all 2nd round due to the glut of goalies at the moment; similarly I rarely rank Russian stay-at-homes as 1st round. Most rankings for Nichushkin are in the 10 to 20 range for now.

ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:54 PM
  #11
JumpierPegasus
Mhm...
 
JumpierPegasus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Abbotsford, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikelechien View Post
I never rank goalies above where I believe they will be drafted - hence all 2nd round due to the glut of goalies at the moment; similarly I rarely rank Russian stay-at-homes as 1st round. Most rankings for Nichushkin are in the 10 to 20 range for now.
Nichushkin has talked about the fact that he was going to sign in Canada. I would take that as the fact that he wants to be in North America, but felt the KHL was better for his development.

I also believe during the SSS he mentioned how he loves North American ice. "Here everything is faster. Pro players play smart, they don't run around too much. Besides, the rinks are smaller and that also speeds the game up. I like small rinks, though. I always play well on them." I think is what he said

JumpierPegasus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:49 AM
  #12
ikelechien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Braeshore
Country: Canada
Posts: 611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpierPegasus View Post
Nichushkin has talked about the fact that he was going to sign in Canada. I would take that as the fact that he wants to be in North America, but felt the KHL was better for his development.

I also believe during the SSS he mentioned how he loves North American ice. "Here everything is faster. Pro players play smart, they don't run around too much. Besides, the rinks are smaller and that also speeds the game up. I like small rinks, though. I always play well on them." I think is what he said
Yes, I read that article too. Read another which said he also only thinking about playing in Russia for now. We likely will have to wait for the Combine to get a somewhat definitive answer unless something comes out of the U20's. Anton Slepyshev who I had as second rounder last year didn't show up for the Combine and consequently didn't get drafted.

31 to 40 is now up at thehockeywriters.com

ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:14 PM
  #13
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,133
vCash: 69
Barkov should be higher than 5. Yes Drouin and Monahan are scoring at excellent rates but they're doing so in junior hockey. Barkov is lighting it up in a pro league at age 17, he's tall as hell, he's big, and he's a great forechecker.

I really think he can challenge for first overall.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:43 PM
  #14
Paulinho
No Man's Sky
 
Paulinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Barkov should be higher than 5. Yes Drouin and Monahan are scoring at excellent rates but they're doing so in junior hockey. Barkov is lighting it up in a pro league at age 17, he's tall as hell, he's big, and he's a great forechecker.

I really think he can challenge for first overall.
He should be third.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:52 PM
  #15
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,133
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin 36 View Post
He should be third.
At this point yes, but if he maintains his current level of play in the FEL and if he comes up big at WJC for Finland he should absolutely start getting more 1st overall discussion.

I mean...Forsberg got third overall consideration (some were even saying Columbus should take him second overall instead of Murray) with pretty modest numbers in a B-tier pro league, Barkov is putting up enormous numbers in one of the top leagues in europe as a 17 year old.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:12 PM
  #16
MrFunnyWobbl
So Aaron Baddeley
 
MrFunnyWobbl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Walking on the moon
Country: Comoros
Posts: 17,853
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Barkov is too low.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:13 PM
  #17
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
2012 isn't 2013, though.

Pretty steep drop off in forwards after Nail and Galchenyuk.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:26 PM
  #18
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,828
vCash: 354
Barkov should be at least #2 and I think I would have Jones 4th after Monahan but it is debatable.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:31 PM
  #19
ikelechien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Braeshore
Country: Canada
Posts: 611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Barkov should be at least #2 and I think I would have Jones 4th after Monahan but it is debatable.
The comments on Barkov are quite valid. Craig Button just came back from Finland recently and was just gushing about Barkov - not just about his play but also his attitude of the ice.

As for myself, I will re-evaluate after the U20's. I am also huge fans of Drouin and Monahan so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:58 PM
  #20
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,448
vCash: 500
not trying to derail a thread, but when I saw Mackinnon listed as a generational talent...I kind of had to disagree. Very very talented player, but are we sure he is on the level of a generational player?

especially considering a number of services have Jones ranked ahead of him...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:35 PM
  #21
ikelechien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Braeshore
Country: Canada
Posts: 611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
not trying to derail a thread, but when I saw Mackinnon listed as a generational talent...I kind of had to disagree. Very very talented player, but are we sure he is on the level of a generational player?

especially considering a number of services have Jones ranked ahead of him...
He has the drive behind the talent to be one; he also is able to elevate his game for the key moments in a game or tournament and he seems to learn from any performances which do not meet his level of expectation. That said, whether he is or not, we shall just have to wait and see; I am betting yes.

Update: Latest MacKinnon article from The National Post


Last edited by ikelechien: 12-10-2012 at 09:02 PM.
ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:34 PM
  #22
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,133
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikelechien View Post
He has the drive behind the talent to be one; he also is able to elevate his game for the key moments in a game or tournament and he seems to learn from any performances which do not meet his level of expectation. That said, whether he is or not, we shall just have to wait and see; I am betting yes.

Update: Latest MacKinnon article from The National Post
Well I was planning to post pretty much exactly what you just said.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:33 AM
  #23
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,470
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Barkov should be at least #2 and I think I would have Jones 4th after Monahan but it is debatable.
No... I'd argue Jones is more likely to go 1st than 4th

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:47 AM
  #24
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,187
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Barkov should be higher than 5. Yes Drouin and Monahan are scoring at excellent rates but they're doing so in junior hockey. Barkov is lighting it up in a pro league at age 17, he's tall as hell, he's big, and he's a great forechecker.

I really think he can challenge for first overall.
All this despite not watching any of them.

My goodness.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:06 PM
  #25
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,828
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
No... I'd argue Jones is more likely to go 1st than 4th
If we are talking about where they are taken then yes I could see that but as prospects I would have him around 4th.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.