HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

More Luongo Talk

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-09-2012, 07:23 PM
  #426
Liferleafer
RIP Pat
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Read above. Brian Burke is paid big bucks to find creative solutions to issues that are in the best interests of the club. Those advocating for the Leafs and Burke to give up significant assets for an aging veteran on a very long contract to save his job are not thinking in the best interests of the Leafs.

There are other options out there besides Roberto. I'm not an NHL general manager with a massive scouting team and / or the ability to phone up other general managers to get a sense of goaltender availability so I won't be able to give you a list.
Thats twice your rebuttal has been to tell me "there are other options". If you are going to state that as fact, one would think you would back it up with said options. I mean Hell, i know you don"t have a clue what they may be...but hey, just take a guess, it will make you look at least a little credible. Because just saying it over and over isn't doing it.


And ya, Burke is paid to make these decisions...thus the reason he is interested in the best player available to fill a glaring need on his tean.

Liferleafer is online now  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:24 PM
  #427
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
You made a blanket statement, claimed there are superior options
Correction: I never said there were superior options. But there are options out there that will not put the Leafs in a bind when Roberto inevitably declines.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:27 PM
  #428
Liferleafer
RIP Pat
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Correction: I never said there were superior options. But there are options out there that will not put the Leafs in a bind when Roberto inevitably declines.
Okay seriously...i'll make it easy. Name me one...just one other option that will improve our team and not cost prospects or picks via trade.Again...just one.

Liferleafer is online now  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:28 PM
  #429
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Correction: I never said there were superior options. But there are options out there that will not put the Leafs in a bind when Roberto inevitably declines.
Are there really?

Ho Borvat is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:31 PM
  #430
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Okay seriously...i'll make it easy. Name me one...just one other option that will improve our team and not cost prospects or picks via trade.Again...just one.
Options that Brian Burke could look in to, given his resources and position as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the current status of CBA negotiations looking bleak:

Niklas Backstrom - UFA next summer

There's your one option and it doesn't cost the Leafs anything but money.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:37 PM
  #431
Liferleafer
RIP Pat
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Are there really?
No...and that is the point. People like Saurus have been saying the same thing about a 1C for years. When players that are clear cut stars become available, it becomes to old....bad contract...blah blah. This is what 8 years of sucking ass will give you. My question is if the proposal numbers and i (and others) have agreed on sticks, how does Bozak,Kadri,Colborne and Blacker have a bigger impact in the next 5 years than an established starter? Even if Kadri achieves 60 points, Luongo's average .918 save% is still more important. And his contract isn't an issue as it stands, the Leafs have more money than God..so buy him out, send him down..put him on LTIR...let him retire, i don't care. Just give me 5 years of starter quality goaltending so this team becomes a winner and a prefered destination to play.

Liferleafer is online now  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:40 PM
  #432
Liferleafer
RIP Pat
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Options that Brian Burke could look in to, given his resources and position as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the current status of CBA negotiations looking bleak:

Niklas Backstrom - UFA next summer

There's your one option and it doesn't cost the Leafs anything but money.
Yup...and he's older and about half as good with squat for playoff experience. So we have another Giggy/Toskala....ya, and i repeat past mistakes...well done.

Oh, by the way, pretty sure the Wild will resign their starter.

Liferleafer is online now  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:41 PM
  #433
Co Ho*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Options that Brian Burke could look in to, given his resources and position as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the current status of CBA negotiations looking bleak:

Niklas Backstrom - UFA next summer

There's your one option and it doesn't cost the Leafs anything but money.
Right, because Minnesota won't re-sign him after Harding's diagnosis.

Co Ho* is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:42 PM
  #434
Ched Brosky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Options that Brian Burke could look in to, given his resources and position as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the current status of CBA negotiations looking bleak:

Niklas Backstrom - UFA next summer

There's your one option and it doesn't cost the Leafs anything but money.
Why would Minnesota let him go after what Harding was diagnosed with? Not only that he is older so why would u want him when u claim luongo only has 1 good year left max 2

Ched Brosky is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:45 PM
  #435
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,230
vCash: 500
He asked for an option so I gave him one. Point: Roberto is not the end all be all for the Leafs and Vancouver won't be getting the package that some of their fans have been talking about.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:48 PM
  #436
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
He asked for an option so I gave him one. Point: Roberto is not the end all be all for the Leafs and Vancouver won't be getting the package that some of their fans have been talking about.
Your altrnative is highly unlikely...

Ho Borvat is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:48 PM
  #437
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Read above. Brian Burke is paid big bucks to find creative solutions to issues that are in the best interests of the club. Those advocating for the Leafs and Burke to give up significant assets for an aging veteran on a very long contract to save his job are not thinking in the best interests of the Leafs.

There are other options out there besides Roberto. I'm not an NHL general manager with a massive scouting team and / or the ability to phone up other general managers to get a sense of goaltender availability so I won't be able to give you a list.
If you are not qualified to come up with ideas, well your input on Luongo's contract has the same value. You can't just pick and chooses what you are a supposed expert on and what you aren't.

Numbers is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:49 PM
  #438
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch
 
Socratic Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
Dallas just gave Lehtonen a ~6 million per year deal. This was after a season where he was terrific, but this season was statistically higher - significantly - than any other year he's been in the league. But Dallas wanted to hold on to high-end goalie talent, so of course they gave him what it took.

Luongo's career average is almost 0.92 sv%. Close to this terrific last year (0.922 %) for Lehtonen (his best year).

Now I think Kari is a good, even great, goalie. But Luongo has proven to be elite. And Luongo has a significantly lower cap hit.

So I know there are various concern with Luongo, some of them justified. But if Toronto got Luongo, they would instantly leapfrog Dallas, and many teams, in goaltending strength. Toronto would instantly go from having one of the worst, to one of the best, goalies in the league (imo). They would do this while getting a pretty cheap cap hit, as well.

It just doens't seem too terrible to me, I'm surprised by some of the reactions on here.

Socratic Method Man is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:50 PM
  #439
Ched Brosky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
He asked for an option so I gave him one. Point: Roberto is not the end all be all for the Leafs and Vancouver won't be getting the package that some of their fans have been talking about.
How can someone be an option if they are never available?

Ched Brosky is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 08:02 PM
  #440
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
If you are not qualified to come up with ideas, well your input on Luongo's contract has the same value. You can't just pick and chooses what you are a supposed expert on and what you aren't.
Luongo's contract is something tangible, an element that could be discussed and critiqued amongst fans. Which goaltender is available or not is highly subjective and depends on the opinions of their respective general managers.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 08:04 PM
  #441
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Luongo's contract is something tangible, an element that could be discussed and critiqued amongst fans. Which goaltender is available or not is highly subjective and depends on the opinions of their respective general managers.
Ya same thing with the stock market, doesn't mean everyone who talks about it is a financial analyst. I don't think you understand NHL contracts fully, just saying.

Numbers is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 08:06 PM
  #442
Liferleafer
RIP Pat
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
How can someone be an option if they are never available?
Hey man...don't burst the bubble!! By his logic,Lundquist,Price,Quick and Rinne are all "available".

Liferleafer is online now  
Old
12-09-2012, 08:09 PM
  #443
Liferleafer
RIP Pat
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
He asked for an option so I gave him one. Point: Roberto is not the end all be all for the Leafs and Vancouver won't be getting the package that some of their fans have been talking about.
No, you didn't give me one.Why? Because he is not available. Luongo is the only starting goalie known to be available. Backstrom may become available, of course the Wild probably resign him...or the Hawks,Oilers make a play.

Liferleafer is online now  
Old
12-09-2012, 08:10 PM
  #444
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Ya same thing with the stock market, doesn't mean everyone who talks about it is a financial analyst. I don't think you understand NHL contracts fully, just saying.
Quite the contrary. One of my professors at Osgoode is quite established in the field and we've had discussions regarding contracts in professional sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Hey man...don't burst the bubble!! By his logic,Lundquist,Price,Quick and Rinne are all "available".
That's not my logic at all and I'm not sure how you gleaned that from my post. Please read everything preceding a point to gather necessary context.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 08:12 PM
  #445
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
No, you didn't give me one.Why? Because he is not available. Luongo is the only starting goalie known to be available. Backstrom may become available, of course the Wild probably resign him...or the Hawks,Oilers make a play.
. . . or the Leafs. I hope you get my point.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 08:17 PM
  #446
Liferleafer
RIP Pat
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
. . . or the Leafs. I hope you get my point.
I'll go with the option that has been a proven stellar starter and gives me the best chance to win.

If you are more comfortable with Giggy/Toskala 2.0 more power to you.Your one option is contingient on his current team letting him go, and then him choosing the Leafs.
Question, just how much and how long do you think he demands?

I hope you get my point.

Liferleafer is online now  
Old
12-09-2012, 08:19 PM
  #447
Liferleafer
RIP Pat
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Quite the contrary. One of my professors at Osgoode is quite established in the field and we've had discussions regarding contracts in professional sports.



That's not my logic at all and I'm not sure how you gleaned that from my post. Please read everything preceding a point to gather necessary context.
It actually is your logic as all of those guys are right now just as available as Backstrom. That is to say, they aten't.

Liferleafer is online now  
Old
12-09-2012, 08:19 PM
  #448
Numbers
Registered User
 
Numbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Quite the contrary. One of my professors at Osgoode is quite established in the field and we've had discussions regarding contracts in professional sports.



That's not my logic at all and I'm not sure how you gleaned that from my post. Please read everything preceding a point to gather necessary context.
Then how is this an albatross contract? Take into consideration retirement rules, how an escalating cap will proportionately reduce the cap hit over time.

Numbers is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 08:20 PM
  #449
The Saurus
Registered User
 
The Saurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United Nations
Posts: 8,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Question, just how much and how long do you think he demands?
Money doesn't matter if it's for 3 - 5 years. Certainly not a decade.

The Saurus is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 08:27 PM
  #450
BlueBaron
Registered User
 
BlueBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
It's come to this ? We have to kill our rebuild because Luongo is the only goalie we will ever get. So now we should pay whatever Canuck fans feel is right ?

Getting sad. We are rebuilding, we have a ton of young goalies who might be NHL starters. We don't have to trade for Luongo especially if it kills all the youth we aquired from our years of suffering.

Canuck fans need to grasp your GM wants to trade Luongo more than other teams want him. We know you all tell yourselves " we can go with both of them " overlooking all the evidence that Luongo wants to move on and that he would be disrupitive to your team to keep around.

You will not get market value for his talent because

1. He wants a trade

2. His contract's implictions may be terrible

3. There are not a lot of teams looking to add a goalie at that price with a steep trade price.

This is getting tiresome. Many of you guys never look at the other teams situation or needs and just worry about trying to squeeze maximum value from an asset that has negatives you choose to ignore.

"You should give us all the young guys you aquired in the last five years worth having and next years first" overlooking that it would kill the team in question ?

But who cares ? We all know trades always go the way the team who has the player wanting to be traded wants them to right ? CBJ is still laughing at how they fleeced NYR on Nash...oh wait...

BlueBaron is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.