HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 6.0 - "Gally Got Backhand" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Moneyman2k6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post
Video's up guys
Woww Nastyy!!!

Old
12-09-2012, 07:58 PM
That

Sorry for taking so long to get this up. I just finished watching the game now.

Sarnia wins 4-1 at home. Galchenyuk picked up 1 goal.

Like normal, Galchenyuk had a quiet first few shifts. Getting a feel for the game and such. After that though, he never looked back. In the first he wasn't particularly incredible offensively, but his defensive play made up for it. He had a great chance in front of the net, but got tied up. On the other end of the ice he made used his body extremely well to gain possession and followed it up with a blocked shot. He looked really good defensively. Galchenyuk made some great reads and used his body very effectively. I've noticed in the past couple of games he's starting to finish his checks more often and use his body to his advantage more often. He also had a few great chances later on in the period. He had a great rush and then unleashed that wrist shot that we've all come to love. He also had a beautiful toe drag and pass down low on the power play. On that same power play he made a great where he came from the goal line and worked his way all the way to the top of the slot where he made a nice pass. On the period at the end of the period he made a create play knocking the puck down in mid air and it resulted in a chance down the other end.

Galchenyuk kicked off the second with a great job on the penalty kill. He also hit Gudbranson very hard along the boards in the offensive zone. Galchenyuk followed up his hard work with a great scoring chance. He parked himself in the slot but couldn't bury it. Unfortunately, that was a trend throughout the night. He seemed very snakebitten. Off the faceoff he switched positions and fired off two quick shots in succession on goal. Galchenyuk started to get flashier as the game wore on. He made a wicked pass after some great stickhandling. He also had a nice behind-the-back clear on the penalty. Galchenyuk eventually got the puck after his clear and went all the way around the net, protecting the puck, and then passed it out killed time on the clock. He followed that up with an insane between the legs move around the defender and went right to the net. He didn't score, but wound up right in the slot all alone but got robbed. His shot was so hard, you could barely see it in the slow-motion replay. To close the period he did a really good job protecting the puck behind the net. I really liked that part in his game tonight. I find he tends to rely on his hands to protect the puck a little too much, but tonight he used his speed and size to do that. It was very effective.

In the third, Galchenyuk got robbed point blank after Sarault stole the puck and he picked up he rebound. That same shift he had a great steal along the boards and made a good feed to the point. Later on he dangled through the entire team like it was no big deal whatsoever. He made it look so easy. He also had two great chances in tight. He was in front of the net all night. He sat on the doorstep and got some great chances, that's what will make him a successful goalscorer at the next level. Galchenyuk worked some magic on the powerplay (like normal) and connected a brilliant cross ice feed to Sarault. Galchenyuk's goal came from an incredible toe drag around defender along the boards and then a wicked wrist that beat the goalie between the blocker and the pad. To close out the game he made some good defensive plays and backchecked hard.

Overall, I thought Galchenyuk had a great bounce back game. He was very solid in all three zones tonight. I especially liked how he used his body and went to the net. Defensively, he was great. I liked his work in his own zone tonight more than his work in the offensive zone. He cleared the puck, battled hard, and always was applying pressure. I really like how hard he attacks the points on the penalty kill. He'll be a key piece on our penalty kill in the future.

-Davis Brown is playing fantastic. He scored his third goal in three games after scoring his first. His goal was a great shot from the wing. I really like how hard he works every game. He seems like he's always creating something every time he steps on the ice. He made some fantastic passes tonight too.
-Alex Basso had a great game. He was solid all night. I really like how, despite being offensively orientated, he doesn't take risks in his own zone. He always waits until the puck is out before he starts working with the puck.
-Nikandrov has been playing great as of late too. He's looking like a good prospect for this years draft. Great hands, good hockey sense and skates well too.
-Addesi is awesome. He seems like a great team guy. I really like the 96 trio of Hargrave-Renaud-Addesi. They all like to throw their weight around and have some good offensive skills. 3 guys to keep an eye out for.
-I didn't really notice Darnell Nurse much apart from one rush. I was a bit disappointed, he normally does more. However, that could be attributed to the return of Ryan Sproul.
-Speaking of Ryan Sproul, he was pretty bad tonight. He made some good plays offensively, but he was terrible in his own zone.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Also, not to be forgotten, J.P. Anderson's win tonight brings him to #1 in most wins for a goaltender in the OHL.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
12-09-2012, 08:40 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Also, not to be forgotten, J.P. Anderson's win tonight brings him to #1 in most wins for a goaltender in the OHL.
He's tied for 6th in wins with Bailie and Subban. Anderson does have the most wins in his division though.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
He's tied for 6th in wins with Bailie and Subban. Anderson does have the most wins in his division though.
Career wins.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:49 PM
That

Quote:
Career wins.
Ahh, I see . I knew he was close, but had no idea that he broke that record. Nice to hear, he's really had a fantastic career. Congrats Anderson .

Anderson's been a fantastic goalie since he first broke in the league. Great run with Mississauga. He has also been playing great since that blow out win in Peterborough. Definitely Sarnia's MVP since then.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:53 PM
PricePkPatch

Let me get this straight:

- Strong defensive skills
- Very good positioning both offenses and defenses
- Natural quick draw sniper
- Amazing stickhandling
- Very strong sense of the game
- Crescendo energy in a game

Did I miss anything?

Old
12-09-2012, 10:55 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post

- Amazing stickhandling

Did I miss anything?
But,

Can he fight?

Old
12-09-2012, 10:57 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:

- Amazing stickhandling

Did I miss anything?
We would be here all night listing his attributes but I agree with what u said. I have a definite mancrush on him and I would be so jelly id he was any other team's top prospect.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:11 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
We would be here all night listing his attributes but I agree with what u said. I have a definite mancrush on him and I would be so jelly id he was any other team's top prospect.
Now now, let's be fair to other prospects and teams.

What does Yakupov or Murray have over Galchy? I will never believe he is better in everything. Although I have no problem believing he is we'll rounded..

One thing tho. I hope Galchy's attitude to slumps will be like Gretzky's and not like Ovechkin's. If he has the maturity to understand that sometimes, tonight is not your night and focus on playmaking rather than hog the puck and keep trying the same things (effectively becoming previsible).

I wonder how he will mature once he start playing in a more levelled field.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:34 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:

What does Yakupov or Murray have over Galchy? I will never believe he is better in everything. Although I have no problem believing he is we'll rounded..

One thing tho. I hope Galchy's attitude to slumps will be like Gretzky's and not like Ovechkin's. If he has the maturity to understand that sometimes, tonight is not your night and focus on playmaking rather than hog the puck and keep trying the same things (effectively becoming previsible).

Exactly! I am just saying I don't envy anyone other than him right now, be it Yakupov aka the consensus nmbr one prospect or even a stud like RNH.

His character is definitely his main attribute, it gives me hope that he will be able to fulfill most if not all of his potential and be dominant.

But of course time will tell, this is just my feeling about him.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:

That my friend, is the main difference between great players and legends.

Edit: What I'd love to see from Gally in his first few season is complete liberty to express himself offensively and develop his defensive game as time goes by. That's why Plekanec would be so valuable to him.

Last edited by Myron Gaines*: 12-09-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:

- Amazing stickhandling

Did I miss anything?
Yes.

Sniper who can score in many ways which is important...hell of a wrist shot, great backhand, very good one-timer, will score a dirty goal if need be, etc.

Also being a very good passer needs to be added.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Yes.

Sniper who can score in many ways which is important...hell of a wrist shot, great backhand, very good one-timer, will score a dirty goal if need be, etc.

Also being a very good passer needs to be added.
Sounds like he's gonna turn out better than Yakupov and the rest of the draft class??

Old
12-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Clipitar

Quote:

- Amazing stickhandling

Did I miss anything?
Anybody can share a detailed analysis of his skating (acceleration, top speed, agility, etc.)?

Old
12-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
Anybody can share a detailed analysis of his skating (acceleration, top speed, agility, etc.)?
That seem one of his only blatant weakness. He is not a speedster

Old
12-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
That seem one of his only blatant weakness. He is not a speedster
Speed isn't a strength of his but it certainly isn't a weakness. He reminds me alot of a bigger version of Claude Giroux.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:19 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Here's a reason why I think Galchenyuk is not NHL ready just yet, but close. Everyone has seen him rack up points and look like a million bucks, yet I have constantly stated that I'd love to see him perform at a high level against the best teams in the OHL - most of his multi point nights coming from weaker teams. I did some number crunching and discovered I could not be more right when I say his weaknesses to his game are more exposed against better competition.

Teams ranked #1-5 in their conference
Games: 13
Goals: 5
Assists: 10
+/-: -8

Teams ranked #6-10 in their conference
Games: 18
Goals: 17
Assists: 20
+/-: +18

Now I'm not ragging on the guy at all, I love watching him play and have been a big fan of his since day one, but there's no excuse here. If he can compete against the top teams in the OHL, then I'll feel more comfortable in saying it's time to give him a shot (once the NHL comes back). Until then, he has some work to do in Sarnia. His offensive game is nice and he can tear weaker teams to shreds but I want to see him do the same against higher competition.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:29 AM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Here's a reason why I think Galchenyuk is not NHL ready just yet, but close. Everyone has seen him rack up points and look like a million bucks, yet I have constantly stated that I'd love to see him perform at a high level against the best teams in the OHL - most of his multi point nights coming from weaker teams. I did some number crunching and discovered I could not be more right when I say his weaknesses to his game are more exposed against better competition.

Now I'm not ragging on the guy at all, I love watching him play and have been a big fan of his since day one, but there's no excuse here. If he can compete against the top teams in the OHL, then I'll feel more comfortable in saying it's time to give him a shot (once the NHL comes back). Until then, he has some work to do in Sarnia. His offensive game is nice and he can tear weaker teams to shreds but I want to see him do the same against higher competition.
So it's easier to score against weak teams than against good-elite teams, kind of obvious. I doubt if you did the same calculation with most players in the OHL you wouldn't have that same difference.

That said, there's no need to rush him to the big leagues that i agree with.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:06 AM
dcal64

So we have 2 Gallys as Habs prospects, what happens when they both play for the Habs, they both can't be called Gally, will we have to name them Big Gally and Little Gally, or AGally and BGally?

Old
12-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Maverik

Quote:

Kind of normal that you don't score as much on teams that don't allow as much goal. In the end, it's a team game, Gally can't do it all by himself. If anything, your stats shows me that he can still produce at more than a PPG against the best teams. I bet you put him on one of those teams, and he produces WAY more against better teams.

His "average" team is what is being exposed against better teams, not just him.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:

Interesting post, good work with the number crunching. However, I bet this is true not only for many of the other top scorers in the OHL, but for any player who racks up points in any league. The better you are, the easier it is to dominate the weaker competition.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:41 AM
bsl

Quote:

All good players eat bad teams. Why don't you look up Gretzky's stats bad vs good teams?

Not saying Gally is Gretz of course, but Habs have had a terrible time against bad teams the last 10 years, because they have had not one player that eats them.

8 wins against bad teams are 16 points, same as 8 wins against good ones.

Without evidence, I'll go further: I'll bet Top 5 each conference every year are there because they consistently beat bad teams, while likely going .500 or a bit better against good teams. You must beat the bad teams consistently to be a top tier team.

Last edited by bsl: 12-10-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old
12-10-2012, 09:44 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
So we have 2 Gallys as Habs prospects, what happens when they both play for the Habs, they both can't be called Gally, will we have to name them Big Gally and Little Gally, or AGally and BGally?
Gally and Galla, already solved by another poster here.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Gally11

I remember that being a knock against Kessel before Toronto traded for him, he had something like 35 goals the year before and like the number of goals against non-playoff teams were in high 20s which is a lot more lopsided, but you'd still take him on your team... I think the fact that he's still a PPG against top teams is a good thing. But I see your point, keep him in OHL for the rest of the year I agree.

Closed Thread