HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Great Video on Jackets Amateur Scouting Meeting

Old
12-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Pilgore88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
It would make sense that it was Shinkaruk they were talking about because in the segment before they were talking about a ''pure goal scorer'', so it's possible they were still talking Shinkaruk. It was also later in the afternoon and they started with the Q and the indication was they'd go through the OHL guys next...

They clearly said ''How can you be out of shape at 18''...so it's someone who is already 18...both Pulock and Shinkaruk turned 18 this fall.

And while saying they could take the trainer to the bar... ''he (the prospect) might be there'' while joking...
That doesn't mean that the kid is able to drink legally. For all we know they could be talking about a prospect who likes to party from Ontario, and the comment was made tongue in cheek.

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
That doesn't mean that the kid is able to drink legally. For all we know they could be talking about a prospect who likes to party from Ontario, and the comment was made tongue in cheek.
They say he's 18. They are doing the WHL and are discussing him in the context of a goal scorer and if he's a perimeter player. Shinkaruk scored 49 goals last year, is listed at 5'11" and plays in a jurisdiction where he'd legally be able to drink. If the glove fits you must convict.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:25 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
You would have to think that the third player they are talking about is Ryan Pulock, no?
When talking about Al MacInnis?

I thought so too, doesn't Craig Button make the same comp for Pulock?

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:28 PM
JAVO16

Anthony Mantha maybe ?

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:35 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Anthony Mantha maybe ?
I thought he was the selfish, goalscorer they were talking about.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:37 PM
JAVO16

I thought they where talking about the same player in that sequence, but the video was so disjointed that it's pretty much impossible to tell with accuracy.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

HFboard detectives at work.

Still don't know who Davidson was talking about when he said 85 at the London-Oshawa game.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
They say he's 18. They are doing the WHL and are discussing him in the context of a goal scorer and if he's a perimeter player. Shinkaruk scored 49 goals last year, is listed at 5'11" and plays in a jurisdiction where he'd legally be able to drink. If the glove fits you must convict.
Yeah, I thought it was Shinkaruk too, tbh. But it does skip around a lot so it's hard to tell.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
HFboard detectives at work.

Still don't know who Davidson was talking about when he said 85 at the London-Oshawa game.
Could have meant who they had ranked number 85

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
It's an intro meeting (first meeting of the year, just to get everyone introduced to all the prospects) that was posted on their website. Did you really expect them to spill anything worthwhile? For all we know they talked really juicy details, advanced statistics, etc. in the time that was not filmed.
Not that, some of the scouts still seem to be scouting in the early 90's. I hope they are hiding stuff but the questions that need to be asked. Does the coach play a responsible game (low variance type coach), what role is the player in (OZone faceoffs and matchups), does he make his linemates better. It seems they still scout based solely on tools which can get a team in trouble.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Not that, some of the scouts still seem to be scouting in the early 90's. I hope they are hiding stuff but the questions that need to be asked. Does the coach play a responsible game (low variance type coach), what role is the player in (OZone faceoffs and matchups), does he make his linemates better. It seems they still scout based solely on tools which can get a team in trouble.
so you lost respect for the scouts because you seem to think they still scout like its the 90s when you dont actually know what is and isnt cut out? makes sence..

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Alright, well call Davidson up and tell him his questions are out of date.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
so you lost respect for the scouts because you seem to think they still scout like its the 90s when you dont actually know what is and isnt cut out? makes sence..
No I really don't agree with Wright at all on his description of MacKinnon, but that is another discussion.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
It's also possible that while doing the WHL guys they ended up debating a WHL player against a comparable player from another league (as an example, Drouin vs Shinkaruk), making this whole thing even more confusing for us.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
No I really don't agree with Wright at all on his description of MacKinnon, but that is another discussion.
You can't really lose respect for someone because they have a different opinion of a player than you, I have seen you comment on MacKinnon before and you cleary watch him play but so do they, people see things differently I guess.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:19 PM
LordFletcher

thanks to the OP, great video.

Am I the only one that completely forgot about the two extra picks Columbus gets in 2013... Talk about a team that could really benefit from a lockout and also get incredibly screwed over from a lockout draft (if the ping pong balls don't go the way they could - should)

All this assuming we use the 05 lockout draft formula... but the Jackets two picks from NYR and LAK could end up being much better than if there was a season and having those be record based. You have to figure both teams make the playoffs and one is capable of a deep run.

Columbus badly needs a top 4 pick in this draft and I personally hope they get the #1. They "the fans" have been crapped on way too many times in the last few years.

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
You can't really lose respect for someone because they have a different opinion of a player than you, I have seen you comment on MacKinnon before and you cleary watch him play but so do they, people see things differently I guess.
It's not just the opinions on players, it's how they seem to be describing the players. Sure tools will make it easier to transition to the next level but if a player can play, he can play. There are so many small intricate parts of the game that no scout can pick up but add them together and you have a player who just gets the job done.

This maybe planning on their part to leave out more important talks but how he described MacKinnon, I wasn't a fan of.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:57 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

I was originally thinking Drouin as double underager but after digesting it I am thinking Lazar? when i see his face i think he looks a little pudgy, no offense.. Also believe he played a double underage AAA at Okanagan Hockey Academy...

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
I was originally thinking Drouin as double underager but after digesting it I am thinking Lazar? when i see his face i think he looks a little pudgy, no offense.. Also believe he played a double underage AAA at Okanagan Hockey Academy...
I think you figured it out.. The other guy who I can think of who looks kinda pudge is Erne. Neither seem out of shape like the CBJ brass would indicate though.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:05 AM
LordFletcher

Quote:

Lazar is highly rated with certain scouts. I believe ISS has him in their top 5.

edit- Lazar is #6 in ISS

Last edited by LordFletcher: 12-10-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old
12-10-2012, 12:27 AM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFletcher View Post
Lazar is highly rated with certain scouts. I believe ISS has him in their top 5.

edit- Lazar is #6 in ISS
Haha I meant no offense to the kid, not that he doesn't have an offense, just trying to solve who this mystery kid is haha.. Also would be tough to believe it is Lazar because I heard he is mature beyond his years and you with think the commitment would
Come with that but who knows! I could be way off anyways. Just speculation

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:30 AM
LordFletcher

Quote:
Haha I meant no offense to the kid, not that he doesn't have an offense, just trying to solve who this mystery kid is haha.. Also would be tough to believe it is Lazar because I heard he is mature beyond his years and you with think the commitment would
Come with that but who knows! I could be way off anyways. Just speculation

I wasn't defending Lazar or anything, just pointing out the fact that he is high on scouts radar's and could very well be whom the guys in the video were mentioning.... Nice job thinking of him

all is good

Old
12-10-2012, 12:36 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Howson isnt a scout and isnt expect to know much about the players like mosts GMs. IMO scouting has little to do with a GM.
Well B Murray in Ottawa has had plenty of say with our 1st rounders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFletcher View Post

edit- Lazar is #6 in ISS
I don't know why but I just don't like Lazar. I dont see high end offense from him at the NHL level.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:43 AM
LordFletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

I don't know why but I just don't like Lazar. I dont see high end offense from him at the NHL level.

I feel the exact same for whatever reason.

I think it's mostly due to the fact my Wild will not draft a center in the first round unless they are named Mackinnon or Barkov.... so I have pretty much removed Lazar from my 2013 wish list.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Well B Murray in Ottawa has had plenty of say with our 1st rounders.
They may only key in on a few guys if they have a high pick, the scouting staff relays all scouting reports to the GMs. At the end of the year its quite common to see a GM with a high pick at a junior game that a projected high pick is playing in.