HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Great Video on Jackets Amateur Scouting Meeting

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-09-2012, 12:43 PM
  #51
Pilgore88
Registered User
 
Pilgore88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 4,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
It would make sense that it was Shinkaruk they were talking about because in the segment before they were talking about a ''pure goal scorer'', so it's possible they were still talking Shinkaruk. It was also later in the afternoon and they started with the Q and the indication was they'd go through the OHL guys next...





They clearly said ''How can you be out of shape at 18''...so it's someone who is already 18...both Pulock and Shinkaruk turned 18 this fall.

And while saying they could take the trainer to the bar... ''he (the prospect) might be there'' while joking...
That doesn't mean that the kid is able to drink legally. For all we know they could be talking about a prospect who likes to party from Ontario, and the comment was made tongue in cheek.

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:05 PM
  #52
Hynh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
That doesn't mean that the kid is able to drink legally. For all we know they could be talking about a prospect who likes to party from Ontario, and the comment was made tongue in cheek.
They say he's 18. They are doing the WHL and are discussing him in the context of a goal scorer and if he's a perimeter player. Shinkaruk scored 49 goals last year, is listed at 5'11" and plays in a jurisdiction where he'd legally be able to drink. If the glove fits you must convict.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:25 PM
  #53
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
You would have to think that the third player they are talking about is Ryan Pulock, no?
When talking about Al MacInnis?

I thought so too, doesn't Craig Button make the same comp for Pulock?

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:28 PM
  #54
JAVO16
Registered User
 
JAVO16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,720
vCash: 500
Anthony Mantha maybe ?

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:35 PM
  #55
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Anthony Mantha maybe ?
I thought he was the selfish, goalscorer they were talking about.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:37 PM
  #56
JAVO16
Registered User
 
JAVO16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,720
vCash: 500
I thought they where talking about the same player in that sequence, but the video was so disjointed that it's pretty much impossible to tell with accuracy.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:00 PM
  #57
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,791
vCash: 500
HFboard detectives at work.

Still don't know who Davidson was talking about when he said 85 at the London-Oshawa game.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:04 PM
  #58
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
They say he's 18. They are doing the WHL and are discussing him in the context of a goal scorer and if he's a perimeter player. Shinkaruk scored 49 goals last year, is listed at 5'11" and plays in a jurisdiction where he'd legally be able to drink. If the glove fits you must convict.
Yeah, I thought it was Shinkaruk too, tbh. But it does skip around a lot so it's hard to tell.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:04 PM
  #59
Pilgore88
Registered User
 
Pilgore88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 4,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
HFboard detectives at work.

Still don't know who Davidson was talking about when he said 85 at the London-Oshawa game.
Could have meant who they had ranked number 85

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:23 PM
  #60
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
It's an intro meeting (first meeting of the year, just to get everyone introduced to all the prospects) that was posted on their website. Did you really expect them to spill anything worthwhile? For all we know they talked really juicy details, advanced statistics, etc. in the time that was not filmed.
Not that, some of the scouts still seem to be scouting in the early 90's. I hope they are hiding stuff but the questions that need to be asked. Does the coach play a responsible game (low variance type coach), what role is the player in (OZone faceoffs and matchups), does he make his linemates better. It seems they still scout based solely on tools which can get a team in trouble.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:50 PM
  #61
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Not that, some of the scouts still seem to be scouting in the early 90's. I hope they are hiding stuff but the questions that need to be asked. Does the coach play a responsible game (low variance type coach), what role is the player in (OZone faceoffs and matchups), does he make his linemates better. It seems they still scout based solely on tools which can get a team in trouble.
so you lost respect for the scouts because you seem to think they still scout like its the 90s when you dont actually know what is and isnt cut out? makes sence..

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:04 PM
  #62
Crisp Breakout
Registered User
 
Crisp Breakout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 5,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Not that, some of the scouts still seem to be scouting in the early 90's. I hope they are hiding stuff but the questions that need to be asked. Does the coach play a responsible game (low variance type coach), what role is the player in (OZone faceoffs and matchups), does he make his linemates better. It seems they still scout based solely on tools which can get a team in trouble.
Alright, well call Davidson up and tell him his questions are out of date.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:41 PM
  #63
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
so you lost respect for the scouts because you seem to think they still scout like its the 90s when you dont actually know what is and isnt cut out? makes sence..
No I really don't agree with Wright at all on his description of MacKinnon, but that is another discussion.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:21 PM
  #64
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,589
vCash: 567
It's also possible that while doing the WHL guys they ended up debating a WHL player against a comparable player from another league (as an example, Drouin vs Shinkaruk), making this whole thing even more confusing for us.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:32 PM
  #65
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
No I really don't agree with Wright at all on his description of MacKinnon, but that is another discussion.
You can't really lose respect for someone because they have a different opinion of a player than you, I have seen you comment on MacKinnon before and you cleary watch him play but so do they, people see things differently I guess.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:19 PM
  #66
LordFletcher
Registered User
 
LordFletcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
thanks to the OP, great video.

Am I the only one that completely forgot about the two extra picks Columbus gets in 2013... Talk about a team that could really benefit from a lockout and also get incredibly screwed over from a lockout draft (if the ping pong balls don't go the way they could - should)

All this assuming we use the 05 lockout draft formula... but the Jackets two picks from NYR and LAK could end up being much better than if there was a season and having those be record based. You have to figure both teams make the playoffs and one is capable of a deep run.

Columbus badly needs a top 4 pick in this draft and I personally hope they get the #1. They "the fans" have been crapped on way too many times in the last few years.

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:31 PM
  #67
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
You can't really lose respect for someone because they have a different opinion of a player than you, I have seen you comment on MacKinnon before and you cleary watch him play but so do they, people see things differently I guess.
It's not just the opinions on players, it's how they seem to be describing the players. Sure tools will make it easier to transition to the next level but if a player can play, he can play. There are so many small intricate parts of the game that no scout can pick up but add them together and you have a player who just gets the job done.

This maybe planning on their part to leave out more important talks but how he described MacKinnon, I wasn't a fan of.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:57 PM
  #68
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone
 
GuillaumeLetsundress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
I was originally thinking Drouin as double underager but after digesting it I am thinking Lazar? when i see his face i think he looks a little pudgy, no offense.. Also believe he played a double underage AAA at Okanagan Hockey Academy...

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:34 PM
  #69
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
I was originally thinking Drouin as double underager but after digesting it I am thinking Lazar? when i see his face i think he looks a little pudgy, no offense.. Also believe he played a double underage AAA at Okanagan Hockey Academy...
I think you figured it out.. The other guy who I can think of who looks kinda pudge is Erne. Neither seem out of shape like the CBJ brass would indicate though.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:05 AM
  #70
LordFletcher
Registered User
 
LordFletcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
I was originally thinking Drouin as double underager but after digesting it I am thinking Lazar? when i see his face i think he looks a little pudgy, no offense.. Also believe he played a double underage AAA at Okanagan Hockey Academy...

Lazar is highly rated with certain scouts. I believe ISS has him in their top 5.

edit- Lazar is #6 in ISS


Last edited by LordFletcher: 12-10-2012 at 12:19 AM.
LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:27 AM
  #71
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone
 
GuillaumeLetsundress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFletcher View Post
Lazar is highly rated with certain scouts. I believe ISS has him in their top 5.

edit- Lazar is #6 in ISS
Haha I meant no offense to the kid, not that he doesn't have an offense, just trying to solve who this mystery kid is haha.. Also would be tough to believe it is Lazar because I heard he is mature beyond his years and you with think the commitment would
Come with that but who knows! I could be way off anyways. Just speculation

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:30 AM
  #72
LordFletcher
Registered User
 
LordFletcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
Haha I meant no offense to the kid, not that he doesn't have an offense, just trying to solve who this mystery kid is haha.. Also would be tough to believe it is Lazar because I heard he is mature beyond his years and you with think the commitment would
Come with that but who knows! I could be way off anyways. Just speculation

I wasn't defending Lazar or anything, just pointing out the fact that he is high on scouts radar's and could very well be whom the guys in the video were mentioning.... Nice job thinking of him


all is good

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:36 AM
  #73
DJB
Sens best prospect
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Howson isnt a scout and isnt expect to know much about the players like mosts GMs. IMO scouting has little to do with a GM.
Well B Murray in Ottawa has had plenty of say with our 1st rounders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFletcher View Post
Lazar is highly rated with certain scouts. I believe ISS has him in their top 5.

edit- Lazar is #6 in ISS
I don't know why but I just don't like Lazar. I dont see high end offense from him at the NHL level.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:43 AM
  #74
LordFletcher
Registered User
 
LordFletcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post


I don't know why but I just don't like Lazar. I dont see high end offense from him at the NHL level.

I feel the exact same for whatever reason.

I think it's mostly due to the fact my Wild will not draft a center in the first round unless they are named Mackinnon or Barkov.... so I have pretty much removed Lazar from my 2013 wish list.

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:06 AM
  #75
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Well B Murray in Ottawa has had plenty of say with our 1st rounders.
They may only key in on a few guys if they have a high pick, the scouting staff relays all scouting reports to the GMs. At the end of the year its quite common to see a GM with a high pick at a junior game that a projected high pick is playing in.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.