HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

No more!! The fans are the ones losing, will you pledge? *Just Drop It campaign*

Old
12-09-2012, 08:06 PM
source

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
I do.

NEVER take your customers for granted. That's the point they're making.
You feel vengeful? Really?

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:07 PM
uncommonsense52
(blue bleeder 24-7)

This assumes I've been spending money on the NHL as it is. Save for NHL 12, I haven't bought anything NHL related in about 3 years. I've been boycotting them because they were run like an amateur league before the lock out.

I've witnessed blown calls, bias and rigged games. The NHL is a bad joke. The 2012-13 LockOut is just a new act in its awful stand up set.

uncommonsense52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:10 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
You feel vengeful? Really?
You're DAMNED right I do.

I've been screwed around with long enough.

Now it's MY turn to respond.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
This assumes I've been spending money on the NHL as it is. Save for NHL 12, I haven't bought anything NHL related in about 3 years. I've been boycotting them because they were run like an amateur league before the lock out.

I've witnessed blown calls, bias and rigged games. The NHL is a bad joke. The 2012-13 LockOut is just a new act in its awful stand up set.
Sounds like the NBA actually

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:46 PM
TOML

It's surprisingly easy to make the NHL suffer. Just don't watch the games (done) or buy the merch (also done)

If you have season's tickets, just don't renew.

You don't have to sign a pledge. You don't have to send a message. You don't have to do anything. Incredibly easy.

The first step towards making the league accountable is that you don't need to watch live hockey. What are you going to miss? The atmosphere? A myth. The action? Easily covered on HD Tv, except better. The ripoff beer prices? No thanks. The adventures in parking? Oh yeah. Done.

Step two would be to forget about watching Nhl games over a ripoff hd sports package through your cable provider either. You don't have to. Almost every game is streamed for free, and the quality is improving daily. You don't want to stream? Download and watch later? What are you going to miss more? Boring commentary during non-action or commercials? Yippee!

Step three is not buying team merchandise. Chances are you already enough. If the team changes jersey colors or logos, you're still good. Retro! If the team moves, you're even better. No need to support Nhl hockey anymore.

Goodbye TSN. Goodbye Sportsnet. Goodbye Payfor Nhl. Hello Free Nhl.

They don't deserve our money. They don't deserve our respect. They don't deserve us as loyal fans. If they want to make us suffer, then it's time to make them suffer. The greedy billionaires will live.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:49 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quite frankly, those that say I'll be going back to the NHL as soon as this mess is settled are contributing to the problem. I liken it to someone who has been abused(doesn't matter how)who goes back to the abuser because they promise that they've changed.

Get some self-respect, for once in your damned lives! The NHL, the teams, the owners, and the players must pay DEARLY for putting not only the fans, but those who work in ancillary businesses, through this crap once again for the third time in nearly 20 years. Hit them through every avenue possible.
Who'se jobs do you think go away when the whole NHL starts losing money?

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:50 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

I'll be back the minute the lockout is over, just like all of you. (Regardless of if you're admitting it or not)

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Sureves

Have fun not watching hockey and accomplishing nothing. I'll makes sure I enjoy watching it the day it starts extra hard.

What is a more realistic campaign, is if we had some computer-guys get involved and ensure HIGH QUALITY illegal streams were available for every game once the NHL gets back.

Hell, I wouldn't even watch a single legal-NHL game if somehow could set that up.

The video in the OP is ridiculous though and the NHL knows it's all just talk. I think getting a website up for streaming illegal games with an accompanying youtube video would be much more effective.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:16 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 70
All I know is that when the lockout is over...

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Nose Face Killah
🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝

This campaign is stupid. You ALL know as soon as this lockout is over, you who have taken this pledge will come running back to the NHL as fast as cockroaches scurry away from light.

Nose Face Killah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
If you have season's tickets, just don't renew.
And lose our seats with our friends, with whom we've shared the highs and lows of our team for 17 years (including a home Game 7 Stanley Cup win)? Sorry, not happening.

Quote:
The first step towards making the league accountable is that you don't need to watch live hockey. What are you going to miss? The atmosphere? A myth.
Wow. You have my sympathy if you don't feel the atmosphere at an NHL game. We have a blast at the games. And there is nothing - nothing - like the atmosphere of playoff hockey.

Quote:
The ripoff beer prices? No thanks.
I don't drink, so those prices don't bother me. But it would certainly be easy for people who go to the games to spend $0 on food, $0 on beer/soft drinks/water/whatever and $0 on merchandise. Matter of fact, I've been doing just that for years.

Quote:
The adventures in parking? Oh yeah. Done.
You need to make friends with someone who runs a parking lot. We have a reserved space, always saved for us, and we get a discount. Oh, it's 1/4 mile from the arena, a pleasant enough walk (unless it's raining).

Quote:
Step three is not buying team merchandise. Chances are you already enough. If the team changes jersey colors or logos, you're still good. Retro!
Done. I hate our new logo and uniform. Haven't bought a piece of merchandise with that logo and won't. As you say, I've got 4-5 old jerseys and those will last a lifetime.

Quote:
If they want to make us suffer, then it's time to make them suffer.
You make it sound like the owners and players got together and decided it would be a really fun thing to make the fans suffer.

I still think it would be a great idea for everyone in the arena to get up and walk out during the first TV commercial break. Stay in the concourse until at least the next commercial break. Two would be even better. Let them see what it would be like if they lost their fans.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:24 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Who'se jobs do you think go away when the whole NHL starts losing money?
Those jobs are starting to shrink away as it is. Just look at Minnesota, whose front office workers are going on 4 day workweeks.

How about talking to the people who work at the 30 NHL arenas, who now don't have as many events to work? (And in the matter of full disclosure, I was one of them-and I already went through the 2004-05 lockout.)

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:44 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

how convenient the originators of this petition pick 12/21 given that there will be no world the following day

i have no problem not going to games or buying merchandise for a while to prove a point (i usually goto about 10-12 games a year) but i have to watch them on tv...

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:52 PM
averyrule

Why not watch on tv? How in the hell is a hockey fan supposed to not watch on tv? I'm down with boycotting games/merch but I'm still gonna watch the damn games on tv.

averyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:08 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Those jobs are starting to shrink away as it is. Just look at Minnesota, whose front office workers are going on 4 day workweeks.

How about talking to the people who work at the 30 NHL arenas, who now don't have as many events to work? (And in the matter of full disclosure, I was one of them-and I already went through the 2004-05 lockout.)
Your point is stick it to the NHL and show them how mad you are by boycotting games and trying to hurt their wallets as best you can, an admirable thing fine if thats the way you feel. Then turn around and talk about how mean it is that the people working in the NHL arenas now don't get all that much work because of the lockouts. My point is, is that if the people do as you suggest, the people you are mad for are the people that lose their jobs first. They are the easiest to cut. I find it quite hillarious you have the opinion you have and were actually one of the people that you are now threatening. Because its not going to hurt the owners, they will cut costs to make it profitable, because they are saavy business people. The multiple zamboni drivers will be the first to go, followed shortly after by the 1 or 2 too many beer stands, then the 1 or 2 too many vendors walking about the arena, etc...

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:15 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Quote:
Quite frankly, those that say I'll be going back to the NHL as soon as this mess is settled are contributing to the problem. I liken it to someone who has been abused(doesn't matter how)who goes back to the abuser because they promise that they've changed.
I see this analogy a lot and it really is stupid imo. As much as I enjoy the Devils and being at games, ultimately they're not punishing me by the game not being around, they're punishing themselves by their own stupidity and greed (and the people who work for them, arena staff, etc...but that's not relevant to the pure owner/player - fan relationship discussion). I can find other things to do with my time and spend my money on (or save it) if they choose not to play, but they're not making money when they choose not to have games and the players don't have anything else to do.

If you think you're being 'abused' by them not having games then abusing yourself by depriving yourself of the NHL entirely in reponse makes no sense. I do understand the concept of wanting to boycott spending money on them, of sending a message. Baseball fans were able to send a message in 1995, and they haven't had a work stoppage since. I support any fan who chooses not to spend money on the NHL (going to games, buying jerseys, concessions, etc) for a set period of time, but I don't support the idea of going cold turkey and not watching at all or 'ever' going back. You're only hurting yourself then.

As for myself, I have season tickets right behind the net of the mezzanine, on the aisle for $22 a game (basically the deal of the century and one I'm probably not getting again if I give up my seats, even in NJ since that section's pretty well filled up with sth's now) and I enjoy going to games and the people I know there. I don't take lockouts personally, so yeah I'll be back.

Have they turned me off with their shenanigans? To a degree yeah they have, I'm not spending money on concessions for a while - not that I ever really did much anyway. Certainly not buying any jerseys or shirts (I have more than enough of the latter anyway) for a while. And I'll probably go to a lesser percentage of games this year than I have in the past...after all, if they want to hit us over the head with the 'business' of hockey then I'll treat it like a business for a while too and sell off a few more seats until I'm good and ready to go back whole-hog.

That's my 'protest' as it were. Mild as it is...but it's not something I did after '04 either - probably because I wasn't going to games as much then. For some reason this lockout's made me more determined to protest, but like I said in the end you can't take it personally.

Last edited by NJDevs26: 12-09-2012 at 10:20 PM.
NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:30 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

The guy at the start is wearing a fake Canucks jersey. Fail... You ain't buyin **** anyways buddy

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:32 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Simply ....

If I drop my season tickets, I won't have the opportunity to get a pair of seasons anywhere in the building for 10+ years. The waiting list is well over 2,000 last time I read. So, I will absolutely positively not give up my tickets. Unless I can't afford them anymore, or hate the sport, or move out of the area. This is my second lockout as a STH, I am aware of the risk of being one and accept that risk. I am not a big merch buyer. Never have been. I buy a hat every couple years, that's about it.

Those that are so upset about spending money on tickets, then stop! All the more available to other fans

And there are plenty.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

I only go to AHL/OHL games, so meh.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:44 PM
ak90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
I'm sure this will be posted again and again...
Why just Dec 21st? Why not all the games that have been lost?

I, an Isles fan (living in Raleigh) am doing my best to avoid putting any money into any owner(s) pocket(s) for as long as I can. I was shopping with the wife for Christmas stuff, saw a 'Canes jersey and said, "That'll be great for our son! He'll love it." Then she reminded me, "No money for as long as we can hold out."

No jersey for my son for Christmas.

I say ALL THE GAMES LOST! Not just from Dec 21st.
You really showed your son what time it was!

ak90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:13 PM
OpAck

I guess it'd end up being more of a symbolic thing for the individual, which is fine.

But ultimately, the league/owners/players know they'll have to win alot of us back. This boycott only proves to them that WE WILL be back...it just might take 5-10 games.

I mean, how is this going to really make them think about what they've done to us anyway? Great, you're not going to buy that new Nash jersey or Malkin jersey or get that LA Kings toddler outfit for your kid between (let's just say) January 1st and January 15th. Wonderful. So, what are you going to do on January 16th??? Buy the jersey or outfit??? I mean, come on...not nearly enough people are going to get behind this in order for it to make impact. I'm saying it's really not likely. You might get a blurb in paper...maybe a bunch of tweets...that's it. Really, you yourself will generally only feel better about it...and I guess that's really what matters in the end.

And seriously, we've been through three of these things in the last 18 years...I'd LOVE to be able to noticeably stick it to these rich SOBs. But you can only reach out to so many people that are receptive to this idea. And really...what's a few games with a few hundred (you hope) people not showing up and supporting the team?? Nothing. If you have the media do a story on it...they'll ask the owners what they think...and they'll say, "Yes, it's unfortunate...but we know we have to win these fans back." And what impression are you going to give them in a couple weeks...that they won you back. And in 6-10 years when another lockout looms...they'll have no problem doing the same thing again because they know from 2012 that we're coming back.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Big Phil

Quote:

Get some self-respect, for once in your damned lives! The NHL, the teams, the owners, and the players must pay DEARLY for putting not only the fans, but those who work in ancillary businesses, through this crap once again for the third time in nearly 20 years. Hit them through every avenue possible.
I truly wish I had the strength to do this. Maybe I will, who knows? I know that in my heart of hearts I never felt the same about Baseball since 1994 no matter how hard I tried. This is coming from someone who lived and died with the Blue Jays during those glory years in the early 1990s. It was all just a nightmare when it happened. Who was the baseball union guy? Oh yeah, Donald Fehr, I forgot.

I don't know, hockey is even more deep rooted inside of me, I bleed hockey more than any other sport. They attack your heart, and they know it. Hockey is like a drug so it'll be very hard not to go back.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:21 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

Baseball it did happen in 1995...and before social media or the widespread use of the Internet, enough fans made a conscious decision not to go to games and/or voice their displeasure at games. It had an effect. Thing is, there are a lot more 'casual' baseball fans and also fans who deified the sport as something more than a game and that image was forever shattered in '94.

Hockey you really don't have casual fans other than the people you could draw in through Crosby/Ovechkin and the Winter Classic. Die-hards are called that for a reason.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:06 AM

I don't even care enough to get mad anymore. There's plenty of hockey without the NHL.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:50 AM
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
The guy at the start is wearing a fake Canucks jersey. Fail... You ain't buyin **** anyways buddy
Good for him.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote