HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Luca Caputi

Old
12-26-2011, 01:18 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
Luca Caputi

He was once considered a pretty highly touted prospect and was the main part of the Ponikarovsky trade in 2010.

After putting up 65 points in 68 games (2007) and 111 points in 66 games in the OHL (2008), he followed it up by putting up 45 points in 66 games (2009) and 47 points in 54 games (2010) in the AHL, but he still hasn't been able stick in the NHL.

This season he only has 2 points in 17 games in the AHL. Is he still considered a decent prospect? Will he be able to turn it around and have an NHL career?

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:27 PM
leafsfuture

It sounds crazy but maybe no prospect has fallen more than Luca Caputi. When we got Caputi, he was seen as a big body, decent hands, drives the net, and up to that point he was a very good AHLer

Burke let him finish the year with the Leafs, and he showed some promise, but was seen as a guy who needed to improve his footspeed. Thing started to go downhill last year when he should have made the team out of training camp, but was sent down in favour of the faster, but offensively inert Freddie Sjoestrom. 10 games in Luca was called up after an injury to Armstrong, despite being relatively useless with the Marlies. With the Leafs like with the Marlies he wasnt able to do much, and was soon sent down in favour of Christian Hanson and later Nazem Kadri. After being sent down, he got injured and missed some 50 games or so, and even when returning, he was a lot lower on the depth chart and struggled to repeat the elite AHL form he had showed in WBS. This year he was one of the 1st guys sent down to the Marlies, and has essentially been a bottom 6 guy. Even when he was put with Colborne and Crabb for a few games he did nothing.

In my limited viewing of Luca, id say hes lost that drive for the net that he had before. When your not particularly fast or good at stickhandling like a Kadri, you need to have that nose for the net, and hes lost it.

Being honest, hes a lost cause. At the end of this season the Leafs will likely drop him and id say hes going to have to get himself an AHL contract and get back to where he was 2 seasons ago. Not impossible, but it wont be with Toronto, and it will take a lot of dedication

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Bob Kudelski

I'm pretty sure that Cheetah power surge commercial has something to do with it.

Bob Kudelski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:01 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

As mentioned above, he had a good camp and then was sent down likely due to his exemption from waivers. He came out slow in his handful of games with that Marlies after that.. reason being? I'm not sure. My guess is he was sour at being sent down after doing as much as he could in a bottom-six role.. happens with some prospects. Then he got hurt a little later in the season and that pretty much has been it for him.

Injuries really derailed him last year. He had come back at one point in February I believe, but wasn't in proper condition so he was sidelined again. Eakins had pointed out his conditioning.

He's even suffered injury this year I believe that has kept him out a few games.

Bottom line, he's unlikely to be re-signed. Injuries have really hurt him and he's been lost in the depth shuffle. Unfortunate for him because he had a good pro career before coming here.

12-27-2011, 12:22 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kudelski View Post
I'm pretty sure that Cheetah power surge commercial has something to do with it.

I don't know what happened to him, I was a big fan of his. I still think he can make it as a 3rd-4th line player. But most likely has a 4th liner that gets called up and gets sent down to the AHL contastly. Such a shame, he had promise.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Rinzler

The injury last year really set him back. This year he wasn't able to keep up with the new competition and has fallen off the map. I really doubt Caputi will be signed next year.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kudelski View Post
Agreed. There's no crash. Well, except maybe his crash down the prospect ladder.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:28 PM
voxel

Saw him play on the Fort Wayne ECHL team today - against the Orlando Solar Bears. Geez, he's slow, lacking in any puck skills, and seemed to have no energy. Can't believe he was an NHLer at one time.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:31 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
He was once considered a pretty highly touted prospect and was the main part of the Ponikarovsky trade in 2010.

After putting up 65 points in 68 games (2007) and 111 points in 66 games in the OHL (2008), he followed it up by putting up 45 points in 66 games (2009) and 47 points in 54 games (2010) in the AHL, but he still hasn't been able stick in the NHL.

This season he only has 2 points in 17 games in the AHL. Is he still considered a decent prospect? Will he be able to turn it around and have an NHL career?
Injuries set him back and he never fully recovered.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Saw him play on the Fort Wayne ECHL team today - against the Orlando Solar Bears. Geez, he's slow, lacking in any puck skills, and seemed to have no energy. Can't believe he was an NHLer at one time.
hard to believe

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Frank's having a difficult time getting the Cheetah across the boarder. They're trying to get him his release. Rumor has it he's going to play Sr. A hockey in Dundas where he will be able to harness the explosive power of Cheetah energy drinks once again.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:44 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

If it's any consolation from a Pens fan, Ponikarovsky was pretty terrible during his time in Pittsburgh. It ended up being one of the least helpful recent deadline trades for either team that I can remember.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:04 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
If it's any consolation from a Pens fan, Ponikarovsky was pretty terrible during his time in Pittsburgh. It ended up being one of the least helpful recent deadline trades for either team that I can remember.
Just getting rid of poni made that trade a good one from my perspective.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:15 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

If I recall right, Burke was offered a 2nd for Poni but turned it down because he had a deal involving a prospect instead and wanted the prospect. I understand his thinking (prospect is more known/closer to being ready than a 2nd) but at the time I thought he was nuts turning down the 2nd for Caputi.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote