HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

CONFIRMED: RNH will attend camp!

Old
12-09-2012, 10:07 PM
alanschu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
International tournaments and playoff runs are huge development opportunities. There is way more pressure in winning this tournament than playing a handful of AHL games in the middle of a long season. Many NHLers will tell you how much this tournament meant to them to play in it and how much it helped them become the players they have. And obviously it matters to Ryan since he choose to play.
Mattering to Ryan is simply an emotional decision on his part. He wants to go because he's never had a chance. That's fine. Obviously any potential development issues aren't going to be severe (a position I agree with).

The thing to note about those that play in it and say "it's great" is that when they did it, they did it with and against their peers. How many players have been Calder trophy candidates and then went back to the WJC the following year and said it was great for their development?

The important thing to note too, is that players need to learn how to win those "meaningless" games in the middle of the doldrums of midseason. The Oilers in particular have been notorious for good starts only to have the rails fall off in December and January. The great players are the ones that can continue to play great, day in and day out, regardless of what time of the season it is.

Last edited by alanschu: 12-09-2012 at 10:46 PM.
alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Xokkeu

Calder winners?

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Some poor kid won't get to play for Canada because an AHL superstar wants to play. I see what I did there.
I don't get to play either.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Violent By Design

Can't blame him for wanting to play. He's definitely going just to have the experience, not further his development. Will he gain anything from this tournament? Probably not, but he missed out on his chance to compete for Canada at the World Juniors and has been given another shot. I think most would do the same if in his shoes.

Violent By Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:47 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Calder winners?
Noted. Meant to say candidates.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:10 PM
timekeep

Should RNH be the captain?

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Should RNH be the captain?
No.. since he has no WJC experience, either Scheifele, Huberdeau or Hamilton should get it. RNH could get a "A" though

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:20 AM
tourlord*

This is great news.

tourlord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:47 AM
nowhereman

Quote:
No, the AHL is made up of much bigger, older more developed players. AHL teams would beat any U20 team almost every time.
I'd be willing to bet that the 2005 U20 team smokes a non-lockout year AHL team. Less than a year after that tournament, Bergeron was a 73 point first line center, Phanuef was a 50 point NHL Calder nominee, and Sidney Crosby scored an astounding 102 points.

Last edited by nowhereman: 12-10-2012 at 12:52 AM.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:51 AM
Ryker

I'm rooting for Russia, but it'd be great if RNH plays for Canada.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:08 AM
Horvat2Deadweight
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
No.. since he has no WJC experience, either Scheifele, Huberdeau or Hamilton should get it. RNH could get a "A" though
I have a feeling Strome will get it.

Horvat2Deadweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
I'd be willing to bet that the 2005 U20 team smokes a non-lockout year AHL team. Less than a year after that tournament, Bergeron was a 73 point first line center, Phanuef was a 50 point NHL Calder nominee, and Sidney Crosby scored an astounding 102 points.
2005 would make a game of it since many of them were pros already. You have those guys, but you also have an 18 year old Jeff Glass or Réjean Beauchemin in net. You have a bunch of players on the bottom end like Shawn Belle, Syvret, Barker, who were only okay AHL players their first season in the league 2005-2006. It would depend on the AHL team, but I'd consider Canada possibly beating most of them. Don't think it would be as lopsided as "smoking" them.

Last edited by Xokkeu: 12-10-2012 at 04:01 AM.
Old
12-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

A lot of the guys in the AHL, including the Barons, were good junior players and a lot of them participated in the WJHC. I'm happy that RNH is going to the WJHC, but let's not kid ourselves, AHL teams would smoke almost any WJHC team in history. 2005 is the obvious exception, that team was special for many different reasons. AHL players are more experienced, proven, most of them have solid jr track records, their games are more well-rounded and they're much more physically developed.

The difference between RNH playing in the AHL and the WJHC is that he gets to be a leader at the WJHC, he gets to represent his country and build on his reputation with Hockey Canada, and I'm sure he'll build some more condifence in his game.

I'm just taking a quick look at the Barons roster right now.. We've got Lander, Pajaarvi, Hall, Eberle, Marincin, Hamilton, Hartikainen, Rajaala, Roy, Teubert, and probably more considering I didn't delve too far into every players past.

edit: Just to clarify, those guys I listed all participated in the WJHC. Most of them were pretty good too. Hard to imagine an U20 team beating these guys.

Last edited by Lay Z Boy GM: 12-10-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:56 AM
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Awful decision for his development. imo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
just ruined patrice bergeron's and brent burns development when they went too.
very good point.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:47 AM
nitz

Nobody on the team really screams "captain" to me. I could see Harrington, Jenner or Strome landing it though.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:11 AM
tourlord*

I think Huberdeau or Harrington will get the C.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:12 AM
tourlord*

C - Huberdeau

A - Jenner

A - Harrington

A - Strome

Old
12-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
Can't blame him for wanting to play. He's definitely going just to have the experience, not further his development. Will he gain anything from this tournament? Probably not, but he missed out on his chance to compete for Canada at the World Juniors and has been given another shot. I think most would do the same if in his shoes.
He has already competed for his country on the international stage at the WHC last year. Throughout most of the world, the WHC is considered to be much more prestigious than the WJC, although it may be the reverse in Canada. At the risk of sounding like I'm injecting a negative, I sensed some reluctance on his part to do this at first. There is a video clip of him on the TSN website expressing his "excitement," but he hardly seemed excited to me. I think he was under pressure in Canada because, unlike at the WHC, he is critical to Canada's plans to win Gold in Russia.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
A lot of the guys in the AHL, including the Barons, were good junior players and a lot of them participated in the WJHC. I'm happy that RNH is going to the WJHC, but let's not kid ourselves, AHL teams would smoke almost any WJHC team in history. 2005 is the obvious exception, that team was special for many different reasons. AHL players are more experienced, proven, most of them have solid jr track records, their games are more well-rounded and they're much more physically developed.

The difference between RNH playing in the AHL and the WJHC is that he gets to be a leader at the WJHC, he gets to represent his country and build on his reputation with Hockey Canada, and I'm sure he'll build some more condifence in his game.

I'm just taking a quick look at the Barons roster right now.. We've got Lander, Pajaarvi, Hall, Eberle, Marincin, Hamilton, Hartikainen, Rajaala, Roy, Teubert, and probably more considering I didn't delve too far into every players past.

edit: Just to clarify, those guys I listed all participated in the WJHC. Most of them were pretty good too. Hard to imagine an U20 team beating these guys.
Might some of those guys be in the NHL if there was no lockout?

Old
12-10-2012, 11:14 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

That's too bad.

He's already a professional.

I know he missed out, but this level of hockey is beneath him at this point.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
You directly said that

which would sort of suggest you think that he'd benefit in the U20s because it's higher than the AHL.
When its Canada, Sweden, Russia, and the US, that is probably true in a non-lockout year. Keep in mind that Nugent-Hopkins played all of last year in the NHL, and scored 18 goals, which is good production for an 18-year old. He is not first and foremost considered to be an AHL player, IMO.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:20 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
That's too bad.

There are a lot of guys currently playing at levels of hockey that are beneath them. I don't see why RNH should be singled out for it.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I would answer yes to RNH as captain, though I admit to a certain amount of bias.

He doesn't have WJC experience, but Scheifele, Huberdau, or Hamilton haven't played a full season as a first line player in the NHL. RNH has also played an important role (ran the 2nd unit powerplay) at the grown up World Hockey Championships.

In the eyes of his teammates, the experience of playing with and against the best in the world almost certainly outweighs the experience of playing in the U20s before.

Mcworraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:42 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
There are a lot of guys currently playing at levels of hockey that are beneath them. I don't see why RNH should be singled out for it.
There aren't too many proven NHL pros at the WJCs.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
That's too bad.

To say this level of hockey is beneath him is a slap in the face for all other guys participating there. If he goes there and dominates, stealing the scoring title with ease, then we can say it's beneath him, but not because he played a measly half a season in the almighty NHL.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote