HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The Walking Dead

Old
12-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
I think Michonne is badly in need of some character development next half. Sure the Governor sent men after her to kill but for her to slaughter his (already dead) daughter in front of him while he pleaded for her not to makes Michonne seem even more heartless than he is. I thought she'd be more interested in finding Andrea and turning her against the Governor by telling her what she knows but so be it.
I disagree, I don't think its heartless of Michonne at all. She doesn't compromise. If you make her an enemy, then she will become your enemy. To her viewpoint, Penny is a zombie. A piece of meat. A carcass. An enemy. The governor only proved his lack of sanity by having any feelings for a zombie. Michonne killed Penny because a) its a zombie and b) Governor cared for it.

Heartlessness has nothing to do with it.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I disagree, I don't think its heartless of Michonne at all. She doesn't compromise. If you make her an enemy, then she will become your enemy. To her viewpoint, Penny is a zombie. A piece of meat. A carcass. An enemy. The governor only proved his lack of sanity by having any feelings for a zombie. Michonne killed Penny because a) its a zombie and b) Governor cared for it.

Precisely.

Plus the Governor already knew the goods that the kid no longer possessed any memory or human recollection. The episode showed that where he thought his daughter was responding to music but was just fixated on the bowl of meat on the table. He got mad, and slammed her back in the room. He wanted acknowledgement, any acknowledgement, and got none.
The experiments with the old guy were obviously connected and were occurring for a reason. The Governor secretly wanting to know if Penny had any recollection of her human life after turning. But he was keeping Penny for his own contrived comfort. Not because the entity was still his daughter. In a sense he already knew this.

Finally, the roadteam has a lot more close up knowledge of walkers, who they transform, what they are like transformed, and had already seen the keep your zombie family mistake attempted on the farm. They have much more first hand knowledge of the zombies and the turning.

The village people are largely naive to this.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:55 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Have any of you read either of the Walking Dead novels at all? I read the Rise of the Governor which is pretty good. It's basically the story of the Governor leading up to his arrival at Woodburry but it puts some of what we know about the Governor (both TV and comic versions) out of whack. .

12-03-2012, 05:23 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Have any of you read either of the Walking Dead novels at all? I read the Rise of the Governor which is pretty good. It's basically the story of the Governor leading up to his arrival at Woodburry but it puts some of what we know about the Governor (both TV and comic versions) out of whack. .
didn't know these existed... i'm a sucker for zombie novels, so i'll likely check them out now... thanks a bunch!

jadeddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:10 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
didn't know these existed... i'm a sucker for zombie novels, so i'll likely check them out now... thanks a bunch!
I thought they were comic books?? Either way they are apparently pretty graphic comic books. Don't want to give anything away if you are going to read them but the governor is a lot more twisted and creepy in the comic books than the show. To the point where i'm glad that they never followed the same storyline to a T.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:52 PM
harpoon
FOB

Michonne ....
I'm developing a serious crush on a TV character

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:06 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
I thought they were comic books?? Either way they are apparently pretty graphic comic books. Don't want to give anything away if you are going to read them but the governor is a lot more twisted and creepy in the comic books than the show. To the point where i'm glad that they never followed the same storyline to a T.
It's been a comic series since about 2002 or so. But Kirkman also put out a novel about a year ago and second one that just came out in October. The first one is basically a Governor origin story, and the 2nd also deals with Woodbury in the early days of the Governor's rein, but I haven't read that one yet.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:26 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
It's been a comic series since about 2002 or so. But Kirkman also put out a novel about a year ago and second one that just came out in October. The first one is basically a Governor origin story, and the 2nd also deals with Woodbury in the early days of the Governor's rein, but I haven't read that one yet.
Oh ok. Would be an interesting read, might look into that myself.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:27 PM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

Quote:

Fair enough. I guess since she intended on murdering the Governor in his house anyway there was no point in keeping Penny "alive" for leverage or any other reason. She didn't want anything from the Governor besides his life.

Michonne's actions still don't quite sit right with me though. I'm not exactly sure why she'd risk abandoning Rick and the other just to ambush and kill the Governor. What was the point? It would just make him a martyr to the town (likely leading to Merle taking charge) and it wouldn't exactly endear her to Andrea. As a seasoned survivor who made it for so long on her own you'd think she'd care more about self preservation rather than vengeance.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:30 PM
spyderjam

Quote:
Fair enough. I guess since she intended on murdering the Governor in his house anyway there was no point in keeping Penny "alive" for leverage or any other reason. She didn't want anything from the Governor besides his life.

Michonne's actions still don't quite sit right with me though. I'm not exactly sure why she'd risk abandoning Rick and the other just to ambush and kill the Governor. What was the point? It would just make him a martyr to the town (likely leading to Merle taking charge) and it wouldn't exactly endear her to Andrea. As a seasoned survivor who made it for so long on her own you'd think she'd care more about self preservation rather than vengeance.
Its a weak attempt to follow the comic book plot.... But they left out all the things that happen between the Governor and Michonne in the comics.
In the comics she has every reason to get any type of revenge on the Governor. In the TV series he hasn't really done anything personally to her so Michonnes actions definitely seem a bit strange.

spyderjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:26 AM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderjam View Post
Its a weak attempt to follow the comic book plot.... But they left out all the things that happen between the Governor and Michonne in the comics.
In the comics she has every reason to get any type of revenge on the Governor. In the TV series he hasn't really done anything personally to her so Michonnes actions definitely seem a bit strange.
Ya in the books the Gov deserved everything he got and more but I'm just not feeling it in the show.

Still loving this season though. My criticism isn't discontent.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderjam View Post
Well.... aside from
a) sending a hunting-killing team after her, after she left Woodbury. By so doing, the Governor has proven that his intentions are not honorable, neither to her, nor to Andrea.

b) once he sent that kill team, the Governor just become #1 on Michonne's guys-to-be-killed list.

c) there seems to be personal bias from Michonne as well. She doesn't seem to like his slick good looks or salesman-esque sliminess. Or maybe she's jealous that Andrea really likes him.

Quote:
I'm not sure that Michonne thinks of longterm consequences like who becomes leader of Woodbury if she kills the Governor. She led Rick and the group to Woodbury to help them rescue Glenn and Maggie like she said she would.

But she had her own goals in mind - namely killing the Governor. Think of her as a lone wolf with her own goals and plans. She is not (yet) part of the groupthink of Rick's group.

Yes Michonne is a survivor, but we don't know what motivates her truly. Is she really more interested in self-preservation than vengeance? Why not vengeance? She kills zombies with a passion. I think she kills all her enemies with a passion. With a complete commitment to her enemies destruction.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Oilersfanneedsdrink

I think people are forgetting that Michone went back to Woodbury only after she saw Glen and Maggie getting captured by Merle thus resulting in her seeing the supplies dropped. After that i believe she just wanted to see if there was a place for her if she proved her worth. It was talked about in the follow up on the talking dead where Robert Kirkman says they deleted a part of her dialogue where she was basically begging to stay with Rick's group. All they did was cut out the line "Please" they did not want her to seem too desperate.

As far as her going after the Gov, she might have been looking for Andrea, or to just kill the psycho.

Oilersfanneedsdrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Skm

How can one of the best tv shows of all time have one of the worst characters of all time in it and still be so good? Andrea is the worst.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
How can one of the best tv shows of all time have one of the worst characters of all time in it and still be so good? Andrea is the worst.
She was so much cooler in the comics. Now that Laurie is dead, Andrea has become the show's Horcoff.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Not even close. The worst character of all time? Clearly you haven't watched enough television.

Maybe you missed the entire series of Heroes where every week I was cheering for the villains to kill the stupid heroes.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Jamin

Quote:

Revenge. Its that simple, they did send a hit squad after her...

Edit: Plus everything master lok said

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Jamin

Quote:
She was ok in season 1 but by episode 5 or 6 I was disliking her, hated her angry at Dale season 2 start and then her tough chick attitude. As soon as they showed the governor I said they day she doesnt bang him and what a surprise 1 episode after meeting him the used car salesman has sweet talked her

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Not even close. The worst character of all time? Clearly you haven't watched enough television.

Maybe you missed the entire series of Heroes where every week I was cheering for the villains to kill the stupid heroes.
Used to love Heroes. Such a good first season, season two was a bit weak cause of the writer strike.

Season 3? HUGE hopes. But nope. Just completely peed in the bed.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Governor needs more SPOON.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:04 PM
TowMater14

Was this this not on tonight?

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
Was this this not on tonight?
Its over until February or something like that.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:56 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Its over until February or something like that.
I've been using TV to kill time during the week with no NHL hockey available. With Walking Dead taking a break and Sons of Anarchy ending for the year(plus Breaking Bad and Mad Men being months away from starting up again), I don't know what I'm going to do with myself

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:35 PM
TheGudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I've been using TV to kill time during the week with no NHL hockey available. With Walking Dead taking a break and Sons of Anarchy ending for the year(plus Breaking Bad and Mad Men being months away from starting up again), I don't know what I'm going to do with myself
Have you checked out Homeland? Generation Kill was an HBO miniseries from a few years ago that was also pretty good. I hear ya though, need more good TV.

TheGudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:24 PM
capta

Send a message via ICQ to capta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Dont forget Boardwalk Empire...hey, Game of Thrones starts soon doesnt it?

capta is offline   Reply With Quote