HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Old
12-07-2012, 04:34 AM
Gaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post

Offence looks kinda shallow.
There are only a few guys with high-end talent, but I wouldn't call it shallow by our standards. Aside from the most obvious ones (Barkov, Armia, Teräväinen), Lehkonen's pretty good. He's more of a sniper but also has some playmaking ability, and he's a good skater. Some believe he will be a 1st round pick, and while I'm not personally sure about that, he's still a huge asset to this team. Then there's Salomäki, who's been playing very well lately, and Aaltonen who unfortunately didn't get drafted. He's skilled, likes to score goals while playing center and never gives up.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Great to see Finland overall starting to produce top-notch players on a regular basis again. Have anyone heard of any new system in place such as Swedens now over ten year old one that has produced good crops for us the last couple of years? The czech-o-slovaks have a lot to learn still.

Darth Yoda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
I'd say both have an equally decent chance. Vainonen is in contest for two open DD slots with two other guys none of which have more prestige than he does, so if he outperforms even one of them, he has a good shot.

Ikonen could bring some grit to the table, which is in surprisingly short order this year, very atypical for Team Finland. Given how he was invited all the way from across the pond, I'm fairly sure the coach didn't do it just to give him a courtesy nod. He definitely has a playing chance, just like pretty much every other player in the current camp roster.
Good to know. Thanks.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Muuri

Quote:
Who's your biggest threat after Barkov ?

Edit, thought Armia was too old...

Offence looks kinda shallow.
Far more balanced than last year.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Ville231

This years team looks very balanced and has a lot more depht than the previous ones. Im really excited to see how teräväinen, lamberg & salminen perform.

Ville231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Pavel Datsjuk

I hope our guys get to the team. Hännikäinen, Salminen, Lindbohm, Lamberg and Teräväinen have played well against men.

Unfortunately our guy Henritius is injured. I think he would have had chance to get there if he had been healthy.

I hope team looks like this.

Teräväinen-Barkov-Armia
Nykopp-Granlund-Lehkonen
Salomäki-Ikonen-Haapala/Leino
Hännikäinen-Salminen-Lamberg

4th line would be awesome.

Määttä-Ristolainen
Pokka-Lindbohm
Valkonen/Lindell-Vainonen

Korpisalo-Laurikainen

Pavel Datsjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:01 PM
ChadS

Hännikäinen-Salminen-Lamberg is a line that will definitely put some pressure on the opposition d-men and might force them to make mistakes. Hard hitting guys, especially Salminen and Lamberg.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Fogelhund

Goran Stubb ‏@goranstubb
FIN U20 coach Harri Rindell worried, league-teams want their players back from World Jun camp for league games Dec 18 and 20. Problems...!

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:13 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
There are only a few guys with high-end talent, but I wouldn't call it shallow by our standards. Aside from the most obvious ones (Barkov, Armia, Teräväinen), Lehkonen's pretty good. He's more of a sniper but also has some playmaking ability, and he's a good skater. Some believe he will be a 1st round pick, and while I'm not personally sure about that, he's still a huge asset to this team. Then there's Salomäki, who's been playing very well lately, and Aaltonen who unfortunately didn't get drafted. He's skilled, likes to score goals while playing center and never gives up.
Barkov, Armia and Teravainen will dominate though, I'm looking forward to seeing this team play..

What happened to Alexander Ruutu ?

IHaveNoCreativity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:01 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Goran Stubb ‏@goranstubb
FIN U20 coach Harri Rindell worried, league-teams want their players back from World Jun camp for league games Dec 18 and 20. Problems...!
How nice. Finland is supposed to play Canada on 20th. There're five games on the same day and one on day before. Doing a quick count, that means around 10 to 12 players potentially unavailable for that matchup. Which is ridiculous, since it would be impossible for Rindell to even gather a full roster from the leftovers. Around 10 forwards and 4 to 5 d-men. Can you spell per C rice cows?

Luckily we Finns are pretty good at compromising and consensus-building. I'm confident a solution will come to light.

Quote:
What happened to Alexander Ruutu ?
'92 born.

Last edited by FiLe: 12-08-2012 at 01:16 AM.
FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:19 AM
Ville231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Datsjuk View Post
I hope our guys get to the team. Hännikäinen, Salminen, Lindbohm, Lamberg and Teräväinen have played well against men.

Unfortunately our guy Henritius is injured. I think he would have had chance to get there if he had been healthy.

I hope team looks like this.

Teräväinen-Barkov-Armia
Nykopp-Granlund-Lehkonen
Salomäki-Ikonen-Haapala/Leino

4th line would be awesome.

Määttä-Ristolainen
Pokka-Lindbohm
Valkonen/Lindell-Vainonen

Korpisalo-Laurikainen
I think Salomäki needs to play the first line to add some grit. And you also forgot aaltonen (3rd line center).

Can anyone give a scouting report on laurikainen? I've never even heard of the guy.

Ville231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:50 AM
ToBBa

Teräväinen-Barkov-Armia
Salomäki-Granlund-Lehkonen
H Ikonen-Aaltonen-J Ikonen
Nykopp/Haapala

Määttä-Ristolainen
Pokka-Vainonen
Lindbohm-Lindell/Valkonen
Valkonen/Lindell

Korpisalo (Juvonen, Laurikainen)

I tried to put a goal scorer, playmaker and grinder in top9 lines. While the 1st line doesn't have the grinder it has the size. Teräväinen brings the speed to the line, Armia scores goals and Barkov does whatever needs to be done. 2nd line has grinder (Salomäki), playmaker (Granlund) and goal scorer (Lehkonen). 3rd line has grinder (H Ikonen), and all of those can make plays and score goals. 4th line is our wild card, a real joker.

When it comes to the defence we have 4 sure dmen - Määttä, Ristolainen, Pokka and Lindbohm. Then there's Vainonen, Lindell, Valkonen, Vainio and Riikola who compete for the last three spots. I'd atleast take Lindell and give him a chance on the PP. If it doesn't work out some more defensive minded dman may take his spot.

ToBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:25 AM
Gaps

Is Lindbohm injured? He wasn't in Jokerit's roster last night and he's not playing tonight, either.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:55 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Is Lindbohm injured? He wasn't in Jokerit's roster last night and he's not playing tonight, either.
No, he's just not in the lineup. Even though he should be since Nordlund has been terrible after his injury.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:07 AM
vanskillZ

Quote:
Both him and Lindell are on the Kiekko-Vantaa's line up for tonights game according to the mestis website. Jokerit defense is very hard to crack right now

vanskillZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 11:17 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
How nice. Finland is supposed to play Canada on 20th. There're five games on the same day and one on day before. Doing a quick count, that means around 10 to 12 players potentially unavailable for that matchup. Which is ridiculous, since it would be impossible for Rindell to even gather a full roster from the leftovers. Around 10 forwards and 4 to 5 d-men. Can you spell per C rice cows?

Luckily we Finns are pretty good at compromising and consensus-building. I'm confident a solution will come to light.

'92 born.
Sucks I liked him.

IHaveNoCreativity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 12:05 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

IS Korpisalo expected to be the starting goalie?

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:47 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
IS Korpisalo expected to be the starting goalie?
For the longest while, we actually don't have much of an idea who's going to get the nod. Korpisalo has put up the most solid performance in earlier U20 games played this season. Laurikainen has the best club team stats. Thanks to some freak accidents happening, Juvonen got to mind the net in a couple of games during the SM-liiga playoffs last year and was stellar. He seems to have declined since, though.

My rough estimate is that currently the odds for grabbing the starter job go 45% Korpisalo, 40% Laurikainen and 15% Juvonen. But have to watch how they do in the preliminary games, then we'll know.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:04 PM
wings5

Quote:
For the longest while, we actually don't have much of an idea who's going to get the nod. Korpisalo has put up the most solid performance in earlier U20 games played this season. Laurikainen has the best club team stats. Thanks to some freak accidents happening, Juvonen got to mind the net in a couple of games during the SM-liiga playoffs last year and was stellar. He seems to have declined since, though.

My rough estimate is that currently the odds for grabbing the starter job go 45% Korpisalo, 40% Laurikainen and 15% Juvonen. But have to watch how they do in the preliminary games, then we'll know.
IIRC Laurikainen was not even in the picture for the team before he came to play in Swift Current am I right. Perhonen and Ullberg were considerd the frontrunners. Why have goalies like them fallen out of favour. How about Auren and Edelmann?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Destroyer100

Finland is my 2nd favorite team to Canada so im excited to see how they do.

Destroyer100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:57 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
IIRC Laurikainen was not even in the picture for the team before he came to play in Swift Current am I right. Perhonen and Ullberg were considerd the frontrunners. Why have goalies like them fallen out of favour. How about Auren and Edelmann?
Yeah, I can admit that if somebody had come and told me in August that Laurikainen is in the squad, let alone have a shot at the starter job, I'd called 'em mental. In fact, I figured only a month ago that he's going to be a longshot, since I've seen quite many cases of Finnish coaches favoring players closer to home unless one is a no-brainer pick. Pleasantly surprised to see that my cynicism was thwarted for once and we've actually got a guy who at least knows his scouting. Maybe he reads these boards?

Ullberg has had an abysmal season thus far. His confidence is in complete shambles. Very few minutes accompanied with a save% of ~85 doesn't do a guy any favors when these picks are considered.

Now, I've got no idea what's going on with Perhonen. His stats are roughly comparable to those of Juvonen, if not slightly better. Either there's some kind of injury or our coach figures Juvonen has higher ceiling thanks to the showing he put up on the spring.

Auren and Edelmann were never in contention given how they've been unable to break out of their junior squads. They've got decent minutes and good stats, but their prowess is hard to compare since they haven't been playing against grown men.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:57 PM
zaluty

I hope the two Frontenacs make it. Ikonen has been playing great over here with two 16 yr olds. Most nights they are the best line for the team. It will give me a second team to cheer for!

zaluty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
IIRC Laurikainen was not even in the picture for the team before he came to play in Swift Current am I right.
Laurikainen was selected/invited to two U19 national team tournaments last season, but for a reason or another he didn't participate. In addition he was at a U20 NT camp this summer. He's been on the radar, but not exactly a forerunner.

Watched 30mins of a Broncos game with Laurikainen in the net, I'm not getting my hopes up of him being a difference maker over Korpisalo. Looked pretty much the same as last season, limited upside.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:57 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Laurikainen was selected/invited to two U19 national team tournaments last season, but for a reason or another he didn't participate. In addition he was at a U20 NT camp this summer. He's been on the radar, but not exactly a forerunner.

Watched 30mins of a Broncos game with Laurikainen in the net, I'm not getting my hopes up of him being a difference maker over Korpisalo. Looked pretty much the same as last season, limited upside.
Surprising, which game did you watch? He's been pretty consistent all year with onlya few bad games.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:07 PM
f1nn

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to f1nn
is määttä injured? noticed he wasn't in the lineup for London's game

f1nn is offline   Reply With Quote