HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Last of Us

Old
12-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Naughty Dog is so much better than any other developer in the world. They are just incredible.
Agreed, they split up their teams so they have a portion of people working on just "The Last of Us" and a team of people working on just Uncharted now. I like it.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 500
I wouldn't necessarily say Naughty Dog is the best developer in the world, but I would say that The Last of Us is the most exciting game in development right now. I think it will be absolutely amazing.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say Naughty Dog is the best developer in the world, but I would say that The Last of Us is the most exciting game in development right now. I think it will be absolutely amazing.
Since the days of Playstation and beyond, they published 10 games and everyone one of them has been a hit - both financially and quality-wise.

The best part is the games are just getting better and better with each outing.

I'm not sure there's another company these days that in the last 15-years has never had a dud or mediocre game.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:07 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Never been a fan of games like these, but I feel like this one's different. Might try it if I don't take summer school and actually have the time for once.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

Box art:

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Since the days of Playstation and beyond, they published 10 games and everyone one of them has been a hit - both financially and quality-wise.

I'm not sure there's another company these days that in the last 15-years has never had a dud or mediocre game.
I dunno, dude. I'd consider the kart racers and the third instalments of all their serieses to be pretty missable in the grand scheme of things.

Actually, now that I think of it, Last of Us 2 will probably be the game they really nail.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
I dunno, dude. I'd consider the kart racers and the third instalments of all their serieses to be pretty missable in the grand scheme of things.

Actually, now that I think of it, Last of Us 2 will probably be the game they really nail.
?
Cart racers and games Naughty dog has made that are the third in a trilogy:

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (Generally higher rated than 1 and 2, I like 3 the most)
Crash Team Racing (A very good and well liked game, viewed as a playstation alternative to Mario Kart, I still play this game occasionally)
Jak 3 (I had no problems with Jak 3, but it's not on the level of 2 for me personally)
Jak X: Combat Racing (Okay, this game wasn't very good)
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (Certainly better than Uncharted 1, I found the story to be better than 2, but yes the gameplay was not as good)

So their main problem is that the 2nd game tends to be really good and the third game on the same level as the 2nd or just below.
None of those games except for maybe Jak X are atrocious though, they are all pretty good.

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:

They are solid for sure. I didn't mean to put the company down at all. I guess my point is that while I do love their games, none so far have totally wowed me. I mean to the level of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Mario 3 or Mario 64, Deus Ex, FF7, Quake, Half-Life etc.

That being said, Uncharted 2 was pretty damn spectacular from beginning to end. I was engaged and loved the characters.

EDIT: In fact, now that I think more on it, Uncharted 2 comes darn close to an elite game.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
So their main problem is that the 2nd game tends to be really good and the third game on the same level as the 2nd or just below.
None of those games except for maybe Jak X are atrocious though, they are all pretty good.
Yeah, like I said, missable.

It does conform to a theory I have that the best game in any series is always either the first or second. Either the first did everything right out the gate, or it merely showed a promise that the sequel was able to capitalize on. The great thing about the first sequel is the ability to amplify what worked and remove or change what didn't. Generally the third sequel (and on) suffers stagnation by virtue of the company 'figuring out' everything they had in mind the previous run through. I'd say that about most games with a 3 in the title lately.

I think the only major exceptions are when they completely fumble the 2nd instalment (Devil May Cry, I'm looking at you) and build the 3rd with knowledge of where they mistepped and it comes out awesome. If anything that's a bit of hope for Dragon Age 3.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

I like Uncharted 3 better than 2. I love all 3 though as they are my favourite current gen games.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
Yeah, like I said, missable.

It does conform to a theory I have that the best game in any series is always either the first or second. Either the first did everything right out the gate, or it merely showed a promise that the sequel was able to capitalize on. The great thing about the first sequel is the ability to amplify what worked and remove or change what didn't. Generally the third sequel (and on) suffers stagnation by virtue of the company 'figuring out' everything they had in mind the previous run through. I'd say that about most games with a 3 in the title lately.

I think the only major exceptions are when they completely fumble the 2nd instalment (Devil May Cry, I'm looking at you) and build the 3rd with knowledge of where they mistepped and it comes out awesome. If anything that's a bit of hope for Dragon Age 3.
Morrowind is pretty much the third elder scrolls game, and tends to be regarded as the best

And of course, Grand Theft Auto 3 is probably the Ur example.

I do see your point though.

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:17 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Special Editions revealed for NA and Europe:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...tions-revealed

Probably going to get the $80 one.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Whatever their most expensive package is, I'll pay for. I got all three Uncharted games used and feel like I owe Naughty Dog a lot of money!

Old
02-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

The Last of Us Delayed

Quote:
UPDATE: Sony has responded to IGN and confirmed that The Last of Us is delayed. Originally set to come out on May 7th, the game is now set for June 14th worldwide. Yes, that's a Friday. Naughty Dog has released the following statement:

As a team we pride ourselves on setting a very high quality bar for every aspect of our games – gameplay, story, art, design, technology and more. We want to make sure The Last of Us raises that bar even further – for ourselves, and most importantly, our fans.

As we entered the final phase of development for The Last of Us, we came to realize just how massive Joel and Ellie’s journey is. But instead of cutting corners or compromising our vision, we came to the tough decision that the game deserved a few extra weeks to ensure every detail of The Last of Us was up to Naughty Dog’s internal high standards.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:00 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Well... ****. At least I have it pre-ordered. Now I got to wait 4 months, instead of less than 3.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Last edited by Hawkguy: 03-14-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old
03-14-2013, 10:51 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I think Natey just failed at embedding .

Old
03-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I think Natey just failed at embedding .
I'm on my phone. Stupid thing kept jumping back and forth. I finally got it.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:12 AM
SolidSnakeUS

That was some ****ing amazing gameplay.

Old
06-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

British Film Magazine, Empire, accidentally broke the review embargo (and took it down again). Gave it a 5/5 and this...

“The Last of Us is not just the finest game that Naughty Dog has yet crafted and an easy contender for the best game of this console generation, it may also prove to be gaming’s Citizen Kane moment,” reads the review, “a masterpiece that will be looked back upon favorably for decades.”

http://www.latestnewsexplorer.com/tl...for-best-game/

06-01-2013, 02:21 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Hrm...

I am always skeptical of Naughty Dog. I will get crucified for this but I was not a big fan of Uncharted 1 and because of that never got to 2 or 3 which everyone says is better (though I own them...).

This might be the last console game I buy (this gen)... maybe... hrm. Guess i'll wait for more reviews and some opinions.

Last edited by LickTheEnvelope: 06-01-2013 at 02:38 PM.
LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 02:30 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Seriously, go play Uncharted 2 and 3. You won't regret it. 2 is just ****ing AMAZING. It might be the best console game of this generation (so far). Also, there is apparently a demo out there for The Last of Us, but I refuse to play it. I want to play the full game and get everything there.

Old
06-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Hrm...

I am always skeptical of Naughty Dog. I will get crucified for this but I was not a big fan of Uncharted 1 and because of that never got to 2 or 3 which everyone says is better (though I own them...).

This might be the last console game I buy... maybe... hrm. Guess i'll wait for more reviews and some opinions.
Did you not get into Uncharted because of the gameplay or the story? Because the gameplay in #1 is very mediocre. It's the story that captivates you. To the point of Uncharted 1, Naughty Dog had relied on platformers. The platforming part of Uncharted was great, it was the gunplay that was very, very weak.

However, Uncharted 2 & 3 nailed the gameplay, while still having a fantastic story.

I'm sure Last of Us will build off Uncharted, so the gameplay should be great.

Last edited by Hawkguy: 06-01-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old
06-01-2013, 02:40 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Did you not get into Uncharted because of the gameplay or the story? Because the gameplay in #1 is very mediocre. It's the story that captivates you. To the point of Uncharted 1, Naughty Dog had relied on platformers. The platforming part of Uncharted was great, it was the gunplay that was very, very weak.

However, Uncharted 2 & 3 nailed the gameplay, while still having a fantastic story.

I'm sure Last of Us will build off Uncharted, so the gameplay should be great.
Story was okay, but the characters were very artificial (IMO). Gameplay was the biggest problem ,definetly.

Funny I thought the platforming was only servicable... maybe it's much improved in 2/3? I dunno... Hrm... should get my PS3 back and test them.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote