HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OKC Barons @ San Antonio Rampage, Sunday 12/9 3:30PM MDT

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-09-2012, 08:28 PM
  #151
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,775
vCash: 500
MPS... All swedish..no finnish

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:30 PM
  #152
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,239
vCash: 50
This team now has a .500 win percentage. Wow.

It's the depth players... the Landers, Paajarvis, and Teuberts that I am most disappointed with. Guys I am really starting to question the NHL potential of.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:53 PM
  #153
Tree444
Registered User
 
Tree444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
MPS... All swedish..no finnish
Correct me if I'm wrong.. isn't he finnish on his mothers side?

Tree444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:04 PM
  #154
voxel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,828
vCash: 500
Every time the puck is in our zone, I'm scared the opponent will score (not true last season). Lots of sloppy, lazy, weak, boneheaded plays.

We're bleeding goals against compared to last season. I don't think it's goaltending. Screaming for more secondary scoring only masks the problem that these princesses think there is only one zone to exert any effort in.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:07 PM
  #155
Lay Z Boy GM
Registered User
 
Lay Z Boy GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,302
vCash: 500
Harski is definitely ahead of Pajaarvi. Not only is he a better player in basically every aspect except speed, he's paid his dues in the AHL. Has anyone played more games for the Barons than him? I don't think so. He needs to be in the NHL when it starts back up, and Pajaarvi needs to stay in the AHL until he can show us something positive.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:09 PM
  #156
flashy
Fire Tambellini.
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
Harski is definitely ahead of Pajaarvi. Not only is he a better player in basically every aspect except speed, he's paid his dues in the AHL. Has anyone played more games for the Barons than him? I don't think so. He needs to be in the NHL when it starts back up, and Pajaarvi needs to stay in the AHL until he can show us something positive.
Another example of a player being put in the NHL because he has one good thing, skating but next to nothing else.

I mean they wouldn't let Schremp come up because if his skating and I think he would of been at least useful for something like the power play then completely useless like Pajaarvi.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:26 PM
  #157
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,642
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Every time the puck is in our zone, I'm scared the opponent will score (not true last season). Lots of sloppy, lazy, weak, boneheaded plays.

We're bleeding goals against compared to last season. I don't think it's goaltending. Screaming for more secondary scoring only masks the problem that these princesses think there is only one zone to exert any effort in.
The "princesses" who make up the forward lines aren't really the problem. A few goals have come from missed assignments - like picking up guys going backdoor - but most are the result of poor play by the defensemen.

Schultz appears to be the only one capable of reliably clearing the zone and even then, as expected from a rookie, he's had some hiccups. Marincin while showing lots of promise has had quite a few gaffes. Even with the two rookies logging the majority of ice-time, I'd say the biggest problems to date have been Plante, Henry, Ringwald, and Teubert.

To me the important thing is that the kids are maintaining their offense while building chemistry and Marincin, Schultz, Paajarvi, Lander, and Hartikainen are logging big minutes. The harsh truth is it doesn't really matter how well the Barons do in the win-loss department. The club's purpose is to develop the Oilers' prospects and failure is a good teacher.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:57 PM
  #158
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
Hall with an impressive 7 shots in this game. He's gonna have to become that Ovechkin like talent in the AHL if the Barons are gonna keep their heads above water for the next month or so.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:05 PM
  #159
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Thank god there is no season.. We would be in basement and out of playoffs already if there was one.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:08 PM
  #160
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
The "princesses" who make up the forward lines aren't really the problem. A few goals have come from missed assignments - like picking up guys going backdoor - but most are the result of poor play by the defensemen.

Schultz appears to be the only one capable of reliably clearing the zone and even then, as expected from a rookie, he's had some hiccups. Marincin while showing lots of promise has had quite a few gaffes. Even with the two rookies logging the majority of ice-time, I'd say the biggest problems to date have been Plante, Henry, Ringwald, and Teubert.

To me the important thing is that the kids are maintaining their offense while building chemistry and Marincin, Schultz, Paajarvi, Lander, and Hartikainen are logging big minutes. The harsh truth is it doesn't really matter how well the Barons do in the win-loss department. The club's purpose is to develop the Oilers' prospects and failure is a good teacher.
Disagree with the last part.. We need to start a winning culture and can't seem to do it even with 3 legit NHL stars on the roster.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:54 AM
  #161
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Thank god there is no season.. We would be in basement and out of playoffs already if there was one.
Yup. It's hard to be positive at this point and I'm glad that there's no NHL season. Tambellini is going to have to earn his ******* keep and augment the roster this summer because he's not going to have that top pick to distract us from the realities of the team.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:54 AM
  #162
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Disagree with the last part.. We need to start a winning culture and can't seem to do it even with 3 legit NHL stars on the roster.
*thumbs up*

These guys have seen enough failure. To suggest that they need to experience more... ugh.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:21 AM
  #163
Shanahanigans
Registered User
 
Shanahanigans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,518
vCash: 500
I don't know how people expect Hall, Eberle, RNH (when he was here), and Schultz to carry this team. The Barons are losing games because 3 of the top 4 Dmen (Schultz, Fedun and Marincin) are rookies. And we're relying heavily on them. The fourth (Teubert) has the hockey IQ of a rock, and skates like one. Our AHL defense has potential, yes, but they're a terrible defense. And the forwards are very average, other than the big 3 + Harski

The big 4 will have support in the NHL. Hemsky, Yak, and Gagner for the forwards. Our defense, as much as HF likes to rag on it, will most likely be middle of the pack if the NHL season ever begins this year.

The Barons' main problem is defense. All things looked at, Hall, Eberle, RNH and Schultz are doing just fine down there.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:42 AM
  #164
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,585
vCash: 500
The defense looks bad out there, it's the reason they're losing games. Need a real vet or two back there to calm things down. This Teubert + rookies nonsense doesn't cut it, don't care how these guys were as juniors, you need PROS if its NHL or AHL.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:26 AM
  #165
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Yup. It's hard to be positive at this point and I'm glad that there's no NHL season. Tambellini is going to have to earn his ******* keep and augment the roster this summer because he's not going to have that top pick to distract us from the realities of the team.
I'm not sure what you guys are getting at. The NHL guys are doing fine, it's the support guys (AHL lifers, borderline NHLers) that are failing the team so i don't see why the Oilers are being declared a basement team based on the Barons results.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:46 AM
  #166
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,642
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
*thumbs up*

These guys have seen enough failure. To suggest that they need to experience more... ugh.
Anyone who becomes used to failure would have never succeeded in the first place.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:23 AM
  #167
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,445
vCash: 500
The Oilers went in with an extremely inexperienced defense, and to no suprise they are deficent keeping the pucks out. We've seen the Oilers spend the last 5 years skimping on well trained defensive players, and doing the same in the AHL yeilds similiar, albeit less disastrous results.

The star players are fine, and even the support scorers have been coming around. But it isn't the 80s anymore where you can reliably win on offense alone anymore.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:29 AM
  #168
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,401
vCash: 500
So were back on hating the AHL team now?

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:35 AM
  #169
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,642
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
So were back on hating the AHL team now?
The Great Eye of HF Oil has to hate on something in the absence of NHL hockey.


worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:50 AM
  #170
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes
 
TheBusDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
So they lose a couple games an now the knee jerkers come flying out of nowhere with their exaggerated claims of lack of effort and skill.

Where were these people last week when the barons won 5 in a row??

Have patients people. Look at the bigger picture.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:28 AM
  #171
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,284
vCash: 7000
The current top teams are:

Springfield Falcons 22GP 14-4-1-3 72.7%
Syracuse Crunch 22GP 14-5-1-2 70.5%
Abbotsford Heat 22GP 13-4-3-2 70.5%
Binghamton Senators 20GP 13-5-1-1 70.0%
Houston Aeros 21GP 12-6-1-2 64.3%

While the next five are...

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 22GP 13-7-1-1 63.6%
Grand Rapids Griffins 21GP 12-7-1-1 61.9%
Toronto Marlies 22GP 13-8-0-1 61.4%
Charlotte Checkers 23GP 13-8-0-2 60.9%
Oklahoma City Barons 21GP 11-7-1-2 59.5%


Sure looks like Tambo did a bang up job rebuilding the farm team.....................


I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:38 AM
  #172
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
So they lose a couple games an now the knee jerkers come flying out of nowhere with their exaggerated claims of lack of effort and skill.

Where were these people last week when the barons won 5 in a row??

Have patients people. Look at the bigger picture.
Its 4 losses in a row actually and they haven't won a game since November 25.

I don't think its too impressive either that an AHL allstar team that can put a complete NHL PP out on the ice has the same amount of Wins and losses to this point.

Of course concerns were abated when the team was winning some games. But the question still deserves to be asked is what are these players learning and how are they developing? Winning at this level should be gimme for this club. Losing 4 in a row is mysterious at best.

My fear, and others have expressed this as well, is we have some stars here learning to have real half ass efforts, irresponsible play, not looking after all the ice, and letting the opponents get great scoring chances. At the least this club should be learning how to win games right now. They seem to be learning the opposite.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:23 AM
  #173
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,544
vCash: 500
Personaly I am really rooting for our depth guys but they look horrible right now.

The depth forwards have been bad.

Tuebert horrible beyond belief. Plante is disgusting to watch.

Our goalies have been decent at best. Sometimes outright bad.

I am not sure if all the hype around the stars makes everyone else feel useless or what but no one is playnig well on that team except our stars and sometimes the Lander, Harti, and MP line.

And even the stars should be a bit better playing agianst AHL level.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:29 AM
  #174
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I'm not sure what you guys are getting at. The NHL guys are doing fine, it's the support guys (AHL lifers, borderline NHLers) that are failing the team so i don't see why the Oilers are being declared a basement team based on the Barons results.
Yes but don't you see the resemblence? They don't have any ******* support in the AHL and they won't have any support in the NHL. Teubert turns into Potter, Plante turns into Peckham, Arcobello turns into Horcoff, Lander turns into Belanger, MPS turns into Eager/Petrell. Same **** different pile.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:30 AM
  #175
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yes but don't you see the resemblence? They don't have any ******* support in the AHL and they won't have any support in the NHL. Teubert turns into Potter, Plante turns into Peckham, Arcobello turns into Horcoff, Lander turns into Belanger, MPS turns into Eager/Petrell. Same **** different pile.
Yet somehow those depth guys were actually good last year.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.