HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL)

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Zil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Disgusting vs. Albany. Lost 1-0 to worst record team in the AHL. Rangers need to recall the entire Greenville team from the ECHL and other than Kreider, Miller, Hrivik and Jean, the rest of the Spermwhales need to be sent down. Utterly unacceptable.
Even Christian Thomas?

Old
12-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Even Christian Thomas?

Clearly he was exaggering.

- Thomas is having a solid season. Nothing spectacular, nothing to get excited about, but he's a quality (though not great) AHL second liner.

- Newbury has more than a point per game on a terrible team. If anything, he's carrying a bad team on his shoulders.

- Haley is a good AHLer and may play in the NHL significantly this year.

- Kolarik is having a very good season and also might see significant NHL time this year.

- Grant and Segal are very solid AHLers if they can play in their natural roles in the bottom-6.

Honestly, if we had one more top-6 forward (JAM?), the team would've been good offensively. The biggest problem is our defense. Other than Gilroy, the rest of them downright suck.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:39 PM
ck20

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Clearly he was exaggering.

- Thomas is having a solid season. Nothing spectacular, nothing to get excited about, but he's a quality (though not great) AHL second liner.

- Newbury has more than a point per game on a terrible team. If anything, he's carrying a bad team on his shoulders.

- Haley is a good AHLer and may play in the NHL significantly this year.

- Kolarik is having a very good season and also might see significant NHL time this year.

- Grant and Segal are very solid AHLers if they can play in their natural roles in the bottom-6.

Honestly, if we had one more top-6 forward (JAM?), the team would've been good offensively. The biggest problem is our defense. Other than Gilroy, the rest of them downright suck.
How do you figure Haley and Kolarik are going to see NHL time? Barring injuries, there's absolutely no room for them on the Rangers.

And wait, did you just say Gilroy is one of the few players that doesn't suck? I haven't watched the Whale in a while, but the 4-5 games I did catch, Gilroy was the glaring problem on defense, add to that his team-leading -7 (tied with Vernace), I'm having a tough time believing he's gotten any better.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Spent a lot of time in Russia (or the other countries that have teams in the KHL), sir? (yes, it's not just Russia)

I am certain these players have it pretty damn good, and even the ********* of places are pretty damn sweet when you have money coming out your ass.
These guys spend so much time on the road (in luxury hotels), it doesnt really matter in which country they are living.
I'm Russian and Swedish. There's a reason my whole family left Russia and a lot of them still live in Sweden. Russia is not a very nice place to live unless you are from there. The ex-pat Russian population near me is massive, as well.

And crappy AHLers will not have money coming out of their ass.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:13 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
What's it going to take for Kreider to start scoring some goals???
Playing on a line with NHL stars Brad Richards and Marion Gaborik would most certainly get Kreider scoring some goals. ;-)

Old
12-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
How do you figure Haley and Kolarik are going to see NHL time? Barring injuries, there's absolutely no room for them on the Rangers.
The key words here are "barring injuries" because that's exactly when they will play. Do you really think there would be no injuries? The lower number of man-games the Rangers lost in our lifetime is 99 during the 1993-94 season. That still means that the team averaged more than one injury per game.

But the injuries were not one each game. Many games there were no injuries, but there is always that mid-season point when you are missing 3-4 players. That's when guys like Haley, Kolarik, Newbury, Gilroy step in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
And wait, did you just say Gilroy is one of the few players that doesn't suck? I haven't watched the Whale in a while, but the 4-5 games I did catch, Gilroy was the glaring problem on defense, add to that his team-leading -7 (tied with Vernace), I'm having a tough time believing he's gotten any better.
He was always known as a defensive liability. But at the AHL level, he's a good player. He's an offensive defenseman and at this level, he does his job properly.

I'll bet you anything that he'll play more games in the NHL than in the ECHL this year. To suggest that he should be sent down to the ECHL is ridiculous.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:56 PM
colman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Disgusting vs. Albany. Lost 1-0 to worst record team in the AHL. Rangers need to recall the entire Greenville team from the ECHL and other than Kreider, Miller, Hrivik and Jean, the rest of the Spermwhales need to be sent down. Utterly unacceptable.
Your right call them up from Greenville top 7or 8 players and see what they can do .Cant be any worse some players just need a chance to play to show what hey can do

Old
12-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Kershaw

JAM will be a top 6 center pretty soon. A disgrace that we couldn't keep him.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post

Yeah, I spent a year on this forum screaming about the need to sign him. He is a very good prospect. Like any prospect, he can go bust, but he'd be easily a top-5 prospect for us, maybe higher. I'd rather have JAM than a first rounder right now.

With Anisimov gone, we have a hole in the middle and JAM could've filled it nicely. At least Hartford wouldn't have been outshot every night.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Honestly, I think JAM left too early. First off, you can't just stay one year in the AHL, have a great year, and think that your good enough for the NHL? I believe that he is going to kill himself for signing in CBJ. He'll get called up & crumble from losing too many games. What he should've done was sign another contract with us, spend the year in CT (with the opportunity to be an injury call up), and next year be with the big club. But anyway he'll be in Columbus and want out quickly.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:25 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Yeah, I spent a year on this forum screaming about the need to sign him. He is a very good prospect. Like any prospect, he can go bust, but he'd be easily a top-5 prospect for us, maybe higher. I'd rather have JAM than a first rounder right now.

With Anisimov gone, we have a hole in the middle and JAM could've filled it nicely. At least Hartford wouldn't have been outshot every night.
yeah that makes it suck even worse. after the nash trade we probably had a 3rd line spot for him and he could have made the nhl with us.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
Honestly, I think JAM left too early. First off, you can't just stay one year in the AHL, have a great year, and think that your good enough for the NHL? I believe that he is going to kill himself for signing in CBJ. He'll get called up & crumble from losing too many games. What he should've done was sign another contract with us, spend the year in CT (with the opportunity to be an injury call up), and next year be with the big club. But anyway he'll be in Columbus and want out quickly.

If I were a borderline player, especially an offensive one like PAP and JAM, I'd go to the worst team because it would give me the greatest opportunity. Look at how it worked out for PAP who just signed a $16 contract. Even if he stumbles for the rest of his career and plays just horribly, he's still financially set for life. This worked out better than spending last season in a Newbury role (mostly Hartford, a little Rangers), followed by a $1/1yr contract he'd have signed this summer.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
How is it a disgrace? It's good for his career to sign elsewhere. He never would've gotten much of a good shot here.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:47 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I obviously would he preferred to keep JAM but there is no way he would stick as a 3rd line Center on a Torts team. He would get eaten alive in that role, IMO.

12-09-2012, 11:10 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
The exact opposite reason is why he signed with Columbus. He wanted more of an opportunity to play, which Columbus offered. Players that are fighting for a roster spot care a hell of a lot more about actually playing then winning.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:30 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

JAM will never be as good as Stepan or Richards and Torts doesn't want to use a guy like that as 3C.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:33 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
JAM will never be as good as Stepan or Richards and Torts doesn't want to use a guy like that as 3C.

Interesting way to think about it....

Old
12-10-2012, 03:19 AM
3rdlineglory

Doesn't anyone else find it ironic that JAM tried to find an easier way of sticking in the NHL by going to a team in the central division? He's gonna have fun dealing with the likes of Backes, Keith, Datsyuk, Rinne, Kronwall, and so on.

Also, what's this talk of Torts not playing a guy like JAM on the third line? Hagelin and Zuccarello are two examples of undersized players being utilized in the bottom six. I just don't understand this movement to portray the Rangers or Torts for that matter as being against undersized players.

Last edited by 3rdlineglory: 12-10-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old
12-10-2012, 03:24 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Funny enough, but CT could really use Redden right now. They can use a two-way vet blueliner who can both score and help keep the pucks away from the goalie.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:30 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

I'm not sure we'll see Redden again in the NYR organization. IMO, if they finally reach a deal lowering the cap, and at the same time allowing one amnesty buyout, it has to be used on Redden. I know he'd stabilize the Whales' D and give some knowledge to the younger players, but at his price? C ya, Wade. I don't know how high the chances of that happening are.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:23 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
I'm not sure we'll see Redden again in the NYR organization. IMO, if they finally reach a deal lowering the cap, and at the same time allowing one amnesty buyout, it has to be used on Redden. I know he'd stabilize the Whales' D and give some knowledge to the younger players, but at his price? C ya, Wade. I don't know how high the chances of that happening are.
I tend to agree, but as is of right now the compliance buyout is not on the table. To the contrary actually.
Meaning we will possibly have to pay ole coasting Wade his money the next two years.
One way or the other.
Just totally speculating - but if there is a shortened season, no compliance buyout is allowed and the cap is around $60M next year - without allowing to stash Wades caphit in CT as before - then we would have the following team under contract next year (assume MDZ signs at 2,5 M) and 2013/2014.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Taylor Pyatt ($1.550m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.875m) / Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Mike Rupp ($1.500m)
Jeff Halpern ($0.700m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Arron Asham ($1.000m)
Micheal Haley ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Anton Stralman ($1.700m) / Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m)
Michael Sauer ($1.250m) / Steve Eminger ($0.750m)
Stu Bickel ($0.750m) / Michael Del Zotto ($2.500m)
Wade Redden ($6.500m) - counts against cap

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)

LTIR
Michael Sauer ($1.250m)

BUYOUTS
Chris Drury ($1.667m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,258,334; BONUSES: $1,250,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $1,941,666
LTIR (eventual additional overage): $1.250,000

Which is doable

But next year - yikes!

2013/2014 NYR

FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / J.T. Miller ($1.244m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Mike Rupp ($1.500m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Taylor Pyatt ($1.550m)
Micheal Haley ($0.600m) / Arron Asham ($1.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Anton Stralman ($1.700m) / Michael Del Zotto ($2.500m)
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Stu Bickel ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)

UNSIGNED RFAS
  • Ryan McDonaugh
  • Michael Sauer
  • Derek Stepan
  • Carl Hagelin

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $60,000,000
CAP PAYROLL: $62,085,500
BONUSES: $637,500
CAP SPACE (19-man roster):- $2,085,500

A buyout or a trade of Redden (for what???) is not going to really change this
We could perhaps replace the likes of Stralman, Rupp, Pyatt and Asham with newcomers like (also seriously doubt we could do such a large roster transition with positive matching results on the ice) McIllraith, Lindberg, Fast and Newbury - but that only saves just around $2M - before the resigning any of our 4 key RFAs!!!
Gaborik being the likely cap casualty here then as well...
OUR REAL WINDOW IS NOW. This year!

Last edited by BBKers: 12-10-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old
12-10-2012, 06:20 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory View Post
Doesn't anyone else find it ironic that JAM tried to find an easier way of sticking in the NHL by going to a team in the central division? He's gonna have fun dealing with the likes of Backes, Keith, Datsyuk, Rinne, Kronwall, and so on.

Also, what's this talk of Torts not playing a guy like JAM on the third line? Hagelin and Zuccarello are two examples of undersized players being utilized in the bottom six. I just don't understand this movement to portray the Rangers or Torts for that matter as being against undersized players.
Hagelin is one of the fastest players in the league, and despite his size is extremely gritty. He can work the corners with anyone.

Zuccarello? Really? That is exhibit A for why JAM wouldn't work in a Torts bottom 6.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:35 AM
E-Train

Hagelin is no where near the size of Zuccarello or JAM. He is not too far from 6 ft., Zucc is barely 5'6". If Hags is small than Crosby and all the other 5'11"- 6'0" group are small. As far as JAM, regardless of size, would be nice to have that production on the Whale this year.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train View Post
Zucc is barely 5'6"
Zuccarello is 5' 7 (.322834645669289)" to be exact

Old
12-10-2012, 09:41 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory View Post

Hagelin is hardly undersized. He's not a huge guy but he's not small, either--just shy of six feet. He's also blazing fast and defensively responsible.

Zuccarello? He's pretty much the case-in-point example of example of Tortorella's disfavoring of one-dimensional, undersized forwards.

It's just pain.
Closed Thread