HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Pavel Kubina

Old
12-09-2012, 09:56 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I was never one to to say we would sign Parise or Suter. Go ahead and check my post history. I knew we would never sign either of them.
Oh, absolutely. I never said you did. In fact, I even went out of my way to say I was piggybacking off your comment, not addressing it specifically. We're still bros.

Quote:
Are we gonna get Edler? Maybe, maybe not. Reason I suggest it is because I feel we have a slight edge over many other teams.
Friends with Alfy and Karlsson, have the room to give him a fair contract, would be paired with a Norris winner, the Sens have a good amount of Swedes in the system making it more comfortable here.

Counting your chickens before they hatch is not the same as hoping for something good to happen.
I'd like Edler too. We'll see. Him being friends with Karlsson/Alfe might only increase our chances of getting him from 5% to 10%... or might actually make us a player. We have no idea. But I agree he'd be near the top of my list of desirable UFA's.

As an aside: If Vancouver can't re-sign him and some Canucks fans have their way, they'll trade his negotiating rights for seven 1st round picks and a time machine. Discussing Edler with them is not a rational way to pass time, so let's not take this to the main boards just yet, haha...

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:00 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Trade who though?

I don't really think we should trade anyone right now

Unless maybe Winchester of Regin
Probably someone in the system. Who that turns out to be, I have no idea.

Hopefully: Filatov. ()
Realistically: someone like Puempel? DaCosta? Peterson? Hoffman? Depends on the guy coming back our way, I guess.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
As an aside: If Vancouver can't re-sign him and some Canucks fans have their way, they'll trade his negotiating rights for seven 1st round picks and a time machine. Discussing Edler with them is not a rational way to pass time, so let's not take this to the main boards just yet, haha...
Lol, considering the "trade Luongo" thread is on its 511th incarnation, I try to avoid discussing any trades at all with them.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:53 PM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Well, considering I watched him play more than five games(in your case), more than 150 games(in my case), I do feel that is my right. I am condescending that is true, but I'm pretty sick and tired of ignorant Sens fans treating Marc Methot like he is some bottom pairing Gilroy esque piece of crap. Apart from last year when he was injured, he was Columbus second best defenseman behind Fedor Tyutin. Just because you only watch one team doesn't mean he hasn't established himself. You really think Bryan Murray traded a young 45+ point player for tablescraps? He watches hockey, I watch hockey, you? Not so sure...
I'm not going to get into a debate as you attempt to sensationalize this discussion and take personal shots at me. Best of luck and enjoy the hockey season if and when it happens.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:09 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJsens1 View Post
I'm not going to get into a debate as you attempt to sensationalize this discussion and take personal shots at me. Best of luck and enjoy the hockey season if and when it happens.
Debate? What is their to debate? Whether or not you have watched Marc Methot play more than three times?

If you want to cry bully I'd suggest looking at your comments about other teams first. Makes it look rather foolish, really.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:59 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I want to piggyback off the tail end of your comment here: When fans start talking about signing specific UFA's like it's some foregone conclusion, that's when things start losing their touch on reality.

How many posts did I see last season proclaiming us to be cup threats in 2012-13 because the guaranteed signing of Parise or Suter was going to put us over the top?

If we sigh a guy like Edler, great. Don't go counting your chickens before they hatch, though; it's a great way to ensure your disappointment.
We almost had Nash and Schultz though

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:27 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
To paraphrase a common idiom: "Almost" only counts in Horseshoes and Hand Grenades.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:59 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
We didn't really almost have Nash, considering we were never on his list of teams he would accept a trade to. Schultz I'll give you, since we were runner-up there.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
We didn't really almost have Nash, considering we were never on his list of teams he would accept a trade to. Schultz I'll give you, since we were runner-up there.
I would say we were close. A deal was done in principle, if not for an ego it would have been completed.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Pitlick*

Kubina?

I'd rather resign Wade Redden after his amnesty buyout on a 1 year deal to see what he has left. I'm sure he'd sign for a low price, just to be playing somewhere that the fans like him. Perhaps he can be an effective 5 or 6 defenseman, even after his big decline.

Pitlick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlick View Post
Kubina?

I'd rather resign Wade Redden after his amnesty buyout on a 1 year deal to see what he has left. I'm sure he'd sign for a low price, just to be playing somewhere that the fans like him. Perhaps he can be an effective 5 or 6 defenseman, even after his big decline.
I'd be okay with that, the guy needs 6 games to reach 1000.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:16 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
I would say we were close. A deal was done in principle, if not for an ego it would have been completed.
Really hope this doesn't sound facetious/sarcastic/whatever (not meant that way), but saying we were close to acquiring Nash is like saying we were close to dealing Heatley to the Oilers, or that I was close to winning the lottery except that I didn't buy a ticket.

Again, hope this doesn't sound sarcastic, just trying to illustrate my point that nothing is ever close to happening if there is a condition present that would make it impossible.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:10 PM
General Granny*

I would rather give that spot to Wiercioch. 2 seasons ago he played 8 NHL games and did fine, he started off on the bottom pairing and played a couple of games for 10 minutes or so then he was put in on the top 4 and had his best games when he played around 15 minutes or so, that was 2 seasons ago, he has come a long way. Cowen averaged 18-19 minutes last season, considering Weircioch play this season in Bingo plus 2 seasons ago when he got called up and played an average of 14 minutes, I think he could net 18 minutes of ice time in a 48 game season.

Weircioch average 2 seasons ago

14MIN ATOI 8GP 0G 2A +/- 0

Kubina on the Flyers

19MIN ATOI GP69 3G 12A -2

Philips last season

19:06MIN ATOI GP80 5G A14 +12

Cowen last season

18:53MIN ATOI 82GP 5G 12A -4

If Weircioch doesn't work in the top 4, then I would rather put him on the bottom pairing with Lundin and put Philips up there, he has put up better numbers on a weaker defensivly team than Kubina and is a year younger and also more mobile than Kubina, fits our style much better than that overweight 260 pound Kubina.

Edit: There are a couple of free agents I would give a contract to before Kubina as a stop gap, would cost less, younger, a lot more mobile and would do better in our system.

KENT HUSKINS GP25 G2 A5 P7 +9 ATOI 15:28 (Injured for most season because of ankle)
Kurtis Foster.

Last edited by General Granny*: 12-10-2012 at 12:28 PM.
General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:15 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
I would rather give that spot to Wiercioch. 2 seasons ago he played 8 NHL games and did fine, he started off on the bottom pairing and played a couple of games for 10 minutes or so then he was put in on the top 4 and had his best games when he played around 15 minutes or so, that was 2 seasons ago, he has come a long way. Cowen averaged 18-19 minutes last season, considering Weircioch play this season in Bingo plus 2 seasons ago when he got called up and played an average of 14 minutes, I think he could net 18 minutes of ice time in a 48 game season.

Weircioch average 2 seasons ago

14MIN ATOI 8GP 0G 2A +/- 0

Kubina on the Flyers

19MIN ATOI GP69 3G 12A -2

Philips last season

19:06MIN ATOI GP80 5G A14 +12

Cowen last season

18:53MIN ATOI 82GP 5G 12A -4

If Weircioch doesn't work in the top 4, then I would rather put him on the bottom pairing with Lundin and put Philips up there, he has put up better numbers on a weaker defensivly team than Kubina and is a year younger and also more mobile than Kubina, fits our style much better than that overweight 260 pound Kubina.

Edit: There are a couple of free agents I would give a contract to before Kubina as a stop gap, would cost less, younger, a lot more mobile and would do better in our system.

KENT HUSKINS GP25 G2 A5 P7 +9 ATOI 15:28 (Injured for most season because of ankle)
Kurtis Foster.

Not even close to interested in Foster. I'd take Kubina 10 out of 10 times over Foster, and I don't really want Kubina in the first place.

Huskins is "a local boy", so I can see Murray signing him to be our 7th. It fits the script.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:06 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Really hope this doesn't sound facetious/sarcastic/whatever (not meant that way), but saying we were close to acquiring Nash is like saying we were close to dealing Heatley to the Oilers, or that I was close to winning the lottery except that I didn't buy a ticket.

Again, hope this doesn't sound sarcastic, just trying to illustrate my point that nothing is ever close to happening if there is a condition present that would make it impossible.
Uh... We WERE close in dealing Heatley to the Oilers. LOL, you can't get any closer than that.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote