HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CCHL 2012-2013 season - part II (Mod warning in Post 30)

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Rangersfan21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongkongphoey View Post
Interesting, so what you are saying is Hodgson has more even strength, and likely more even strength PPG than Norris? Not many would think that. Do they use him much for PP, front or on the perimeter for PP? The difference between the two positions for points is not insignificant. I highly doubt Hodgson gets the same opportunities as Norris but what if he did?

I am certain Smiths Falls will have similar conundrums in the not too distant future given the depth inthier line up. The coaching staff will have to juggle lines and egos. Who will be prepared to take a diminished role to help the team win. Between the top teams the coaching staff who gets that right (or has more front of the jersey players) will win. Can't wait for the next half of the season.
There is no comparison between hodgson and norris IMO, in the 5 games I have seen it is clear that norris has a lot more skill but maybe the effort level is not always there. Hodgson is also a different style of player who goes hard all the time

Old
12-06-2012, 09:55 PM
hongkongphoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
There is no comparison between hodgson and norris IMO, in the 5 games I have seen it is clear that norris has a lot more skill but maybe the effort level is not always there. Hodgson is also a different style of player who goes hard all the time
That is exactly what my eyes say to me, however stats are not opinions. Hodgson has more even strength PPG, more GWG (3 second only to Hedges). He has 8 even strength goals to Norris 8 although Norris fewer games. Grabbers had me intrigued so I looked at last year olayoffs and Hodgson was second only to Hedges with GWG with 2.

Would LOVE to see plus minus because that is the ULTIMATE hockey stat. I think even strength PPG is next. Power play points can be deceiving.

I don't know where they play him on PP, if it is up top then he should have more points, if not then something to ponder.

Norris has the better skill set but when Grabbers posted the numbers I was surprised. It is not the skill set but what you do with it. What makes a player effective? There are players who put up points and players who hoist up championships.

There is pretty, there is effective and finally pretty and effective. Hedges and Mannicia come to mind for the latter category. It seems Hodgson might be far more effective than many realized, hard to call him pretty.

Fun exercise and now over.

What is certain is that the next Bears versus Raiders game shouldn't be missed. I give the Bears the edge. Also hard to count out Ottawa either as they have so many in the "effective" category and are playing as a comprehensive team. What a great second half ahead of us. Great for the league!

Old
12-07-2012, 07:22 AM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
That is exactly what my eyes say to me, however stats are not opinions. Hodgson has more even strength PPG, more GWG (3 second only to Hedges). He has 8 even strength goals to Norris 8 although Norris fewer games. Grabbers had me intrigued so I looked at last year olayoffs and Hodgson was second only to Hedges with GWG with 2.

Would LOVE to see plus minus because that is the ULTIMATE hockey stat. I think even strength PPG is next. Power play points can be deceiving.

I don't know where they play him on PP, if it is up top then he should have more points, if not then something to ponder.

Norris has the better skill set but when Grabbers posted the numbers I was surprised. It is not the skill set but what you do with it. What makes a player effective? There are players who put up points and players who hoist up championships.

There is pretty, there is effective and finally pretty and effective. Hedges and Mannicia come to mind for the latter category. It seems Hodgson might be far more effective than many realized, hard to call him pretty.

Fun exercise and now over.

What is certain is that the next Bears versus Raiders game shouldn't be missed. I give the Bears the edge. Also hard to count out Ottawa either as they have so many in the "effective" category and are playing as a comprehensive team. What a great second half ahead of us. Great for the league!
Norris led the league, by a large margin, with 9 regular strength goals in the playoffs last year. I would call that a Championship type player.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:23 AM
wrister82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane11 View Post
better representation
??? Heard this before. Who represents him??

Old
12-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Off the Boards

Cornwall Colts 4 Brockville 3

Good game at the Ed Lumley lats night both teams played very well. Unfortunate for Sheehan Kirkwood who broke (fractured) a bone in his leg after being hit by Ryan Walter.

Blasko, Ferreira and Roll had a very good game for the Braves who came on strong in the second half of the game.

Zion, Pontarelli & Ammirato played amazing hockey zipping around passing quickly and completely dominated Brockville in the first period before the Braves knew what was going on it was 3 - 0. Jordan Piccolino then kept Cornwall in it in the 3rd period to squeak out a win and beat a team who has just beaten Smith Falls & Carleton Place.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
9-1 loss to the US, a 6-0 loss to the Swiss when it mattered. They had one good game against Team West and they beat the CZE which they should have done.

This was not a team that represented the best of the East. They were outscored 19- 9. They finished 5th. Those are facts, not opinions. The opinion is that the team was over filled with one dimensional players that catch the superficial eye. It was not a team that knew how to play in its own end. Pretty and winning are not the same thing.

I suspect that Smiths Falls or a healthy Raiders would have beat this team. I think that you may disagree and that's okay.

I thought TCE was the perfect example of PPG guys that don't always add up to a winning team or complete hockey players (though they often can). Give me a team full of Tonellis over a team full of Kovalevs any day. That said, I will take a few Kovalev's as long as they have a complete player on the line to keep them out of trouble. Sheldon and Peter G just might be the best at doing just that in the league. Which of course shows just how little input Sheldon had on the TCE composition.
If you lose the bronze medal game, don't you finish 4th?

Old
12-07-2012, 10:42 AM
ZebraCritic

Just tweeted out by Tony House were the Player of the Month for November....Blasko...yep had a great month....Guerriero....agree, kid is always stellar....White for Rookie??? Come on folks....I am sure that White is a great kid and to get 7 pts as a 16 yr old on a middling team is very commendable, but to not vote for Kelly Summers of the CPC is flat out moronic!

Summers had 14 pts in the month of November....4 games of 3pts all the while (from what I have found out) logging major minutes with injuries on CP's back end... As a bloody 16 yr old! He is their leading scorer in Dman totals as 16 yr old....He is also not a liability on defence, but the direct opposite, stellar from what I have heard.

Again, not sure how these things are picked, but to me, just because a kid wins it the previous month, should not exclude him from this month, if his play warrants it!!! This is not Kindergarten, where we all have to share.

Congrats to all the winners, even White, who did have a great month for a 96...but just not as good as Summers.

And no I'm not a relative of his...just a hockey fan, who likes to see things get done the right way...with out politics!

Last edited by ZebraCritic: 12-07-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old
12-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraCritic View Post
Just tweeted out by Tony House were the Player of the Month for November....Blasko...yep had a great month....Guerriero....agree, kid is always stellar....White for Rookie??? Come on folks....I am sure that White is a great kid and to get 7 pts as a 16 yr old on a middling team is very commendable, but to not vote for Kelly Summers of the CPC is flat out moronic!

Summers had 14 pts in the month of November....4 games of 3pts all the while (from what I have found out) logging major minutes with injuries on CP's back end... As a bloody 16 yr old! He is their leading scorer in Dman totals as 16 yr old....He is also not a liability on defence, but the direct opposite, stellar from what I have heard.

Again, not sure how these things are picked, but to me, just because a kid wins it the previous month, should not exclude him from this month, if his play warrants it!!! This is not Kindergarten, where we all have to share.

Congrats to all the winners, even White, who did have a great month for a 96...but just not as good as Summers.

And no I'm not a relative of his...just a hockey fan, who likes to see things get done the right way...with out politics!
I agree completely.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:55 PM
bigdogsnipedaddy

How come the CCHL Prospect Roster does not show their OHL affiliation (team that drafted them). OJHL Prospect Roster is listed with their OHL draft team. Just curious.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:27 PM
EasternOntario Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraCritic View Post

I can't say who should or shouldn't win any of these, because I don't see enough of the players more than maybe once or twice a month-----but your whole post seems to come from " WHAT I HAVE HEARD". Maybe you cant win it twice in a row---which would be wrong----but someone playing a tonne of minutes with a good team, and playing the number one power play is bound to get way more points than someone who doesn't.

I would certainly take your opinion alot more seriously if you have seen him play a tonne of times and you have first hand knowledge of most of his games. Hunter Racine and Andrew Ming also had good months, with limited ice time from what I have heard lol.

Summers is and will be a very good hockey player,good on Clarkson to commit.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:51 AM
CoasttoCoast

Kemptville & Nepean last night.
Kemptville created lots of good chances on the 3 PP's in the first period last night, but no one could finish. I thought Nepean's PK was bad, not aggressive, gave up the high slot to kemptville consistently, lucky for Nepean, Kemptville couldn't score. After nepean went up 2-0, Kemptville gradually faded, I thought the younger kids competed well, but the 19 & 20 yr olds looked like they wanted to be somewhere else, can't blame them.
Nepean "rested" Zawadski again, Mulder was very good. Who starts Sunday? Both goalies are coming of shut-outs. I think it has to be Zawadski.
Still no Norris, Hodgson or Williams.... Milito & Yarwood were suspended.
Tough schedule ahead, they are going to need good goaltending.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:41 PM
specialteams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasttoCoast View Post
Kemptville & Nepean last night.
Kemptville created lots of good chances on the 3 PP's in the first period last night, but no one could finish. I thought Nepean's PK was bad, not aggressive, gave up the high slot to kemptville consistently, lucky for Nepean, Kemptville couldn't score. After nepean went up 2-0, Kemptville gradually faded, I thought the younger kids competed well, but the 19 & 20 yr olds looked like they wanted to be somewhere else, can't blame them.
Nepean "rested" Zawadski again, Mulder was very good. Who starts Sunday? Both goalies are coming of shut-outs. I think it has to be Zawadski.
Still no Norris, Hodgson or Williams.... Milito & Yarwood were suspended.
Tough schedule ahead, they are going to need good goaltending.
Checked out the game as well, Llorca's goal on the first shot was maybe signs of things to come bad goal but Tugnutt settled down and made some good stops for sure. Nepean will have scary depth once they get Norris and Hodgson back - thought the Watt, Rodier and Nasca line was effective nice 3rd line for sure...Nepean's PP wasn't nearly effective as usual or Kemptville's PK was decent. It could have been worse as Kemptville took some undisciplined penalties. Raiders seem to be building for another run as Mulders was good, nice to have two quality tenders.

As for Kemptville I'm not sure I agree with 19 and 20 year olds looking disinterested I think their auditioning for other teams to pick them up at deadline. House was a legitimate third star, bright light in the loss his linemates Seatter and Varrin were decent. Gonu and Nowak age wise can be back so not sure what the plan is for them but I'm sure 73's will be taking on all suitors who are looking to shore up for a championship run.

Still some great hockey to be played and as I always state some great parity across the league - have to bring it every night or you will get beat!!

Old
12-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Tarzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialteams View Post
Checked out the game as well, Llorca's goal on the first shot was maybe signs of things to come bad goal but Tugnutt settled down and made some good stops for sure. Nepean will have scary depth once they get Norris and Hodgson back - thought the Watt, Rodier and Nasca line was effective nice 3rd line for sure...Nepean's PP wasn't nearly effective as usual or Kemptville's PK was decent. It could have been worse as Kemptville took some undisciplined penalties. Raiders seem to be building for another run as Mulders was good, nice to have two quality tenders.

As for Kemptville I'm not sure I agree with 19 and 20 year olds looking disinterested I think their auditioning for other teams to pick them up at deadline. House was a legitimate third star, bright light in the loss his linemates Seatter and Varrin were decent. Gonu and Nowak age wise can be back so not sure what the plan is for them but I'm sure 73's will be taking on all suitors who are looking to shore up for a championship run.

Still some great hockey to be played and as I always state some great parity across the league - have to bring it every night or you will get beat!!
Help me out here. This is the second post I have seen since December 1st eluding to there being another trade deadline. Is there another opportunity for teams to pick up players? Thanks

Old
12-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
Help me out here. This is the second post I have seen since December 1st eluding to there being another trade deadline. Is there another opportunity for teams to pick up players? Thanks
December 1 is not a trade deadline. The teams must trim down there cards on that day so it just results in players being traded as teams shrink.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:47 PM
oldnucks

wouldnt have bet on the bears and raiders to both lose today, anyone at the games?

Old
12-09-2012, 09:29 PM
CoasttoCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnucks View Post
wouldnt have bet on the bears and raiders to both lose today, anyone at the games?
Ottawa is very good, blew out a injury riddled Nepean, beat Smith Falls today, they now have the best record in the league.
I'm not knocking Smith Falls, but there is only 1 puck on the ice and they have 5 kids who want it on their stick, they will figure it out.

CPC over Nep. today- Very physical game by CCHL standards. CPC came out hard and deserved the 1st. period. It was pretty even the rest of the way. No real set lines for Nepean after line One, #1 was Rodier, Hedges, Neil. Sharples and Milito played forward for most of the game. Yarwood played defense again today, he seemed to be skating better and confident with the puck. I know they are looking to upgrade their defense some how, but I'm not sure they can afford to leave him on defense.
Disappointing, Nepean won 5 games in a row before today, but the one loss drops them to 3rd in their division, things are tight.
Both Smith Falls and Nepean coming of losses, should be a good game on Wednesday.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
Ottawa is very good, blew out a injury riddled Nepean, beat Smith Falls today, they now have the best record in the league.
I'm not knocking Smith Falls, but there is only 1 puck on the ice and they have 5 kids who want it on their stick, they will figure it out.

CPC over Nep. today- Very physical game by CCHL standards. CPC came out hard and deserved the 1st. period. It was pretty even the rest of the way. No real set lines for Nepean after line One, #1 was Rodier, Hedges, Neil. Sharples and Milito played forward for most of the game. Yarwood played defense again today, he seemed to be skating better and confident with the puck. I know they are looking to upgrade their defense some how, but I'm not sure they can afford to leave him on defense.
Disappointing, Nepean won 5 games in a row before today, but the one loss drops them to 3rd in their division, things are tight.
Both Smith Falls and Nepean coming of losses, should be a good game on Wednesday.

I saw the Raiders 4-2 loss (EN goal) much the same but I didn't think the game was overly physical. The Refs were strange with their calls letting some foolishness go while clamping down on some meaningless activity. I would say more chippy then physical with punches, slashes and crosschecks going mostly unpunished.

CP was flying in the first and the best player on the ice may have been the older Edwards. I think he must have gotten hurt because he didn't return after the first (I am sure the numerous CP fans on here will know more). A fight later in the first seemed to awaken my Raiders as they played better after the "take down."

We are still missing Norris, Hodgson and Williams. I'll be glad when they return. I think both Yarwood and Milito could find themselves on defence once all hands are on deck. I liked what I saw of both of them this afternoon - both seemd willing to clear the front of the net and give out more than they take (Milito especially in his own end). Vered and Llorca were just average this afternoon on the backend - efficient I would say.

It seemed to me that all our scoring chances were from the outside or the side wall and for the second game in a row our PP didn't deliver (this time on a 4 minute man-advantage at the end of the first) when we needed it. I thought Watt played an energetic game but Nasca certainly needs to provide more (at least until the aforementioned injured are healed).

I thought both goalies were pretty good (and perhaps could have garnered star consideration) and "Z" was helped out by his goalposts on three or four occasions (if you ask him I'm sure he'll tell you that's all he gave them and his angles were on). He made a couple outstanding glove saves - especially one in the second - to keep the game close.

Still overall an entertaining game. I am also looking forward to Smiths Falls later this week.

Finally - and on a humerous note - two of the three stars were verbally announced at the games completion for the Raiders and...wait for it....one went to Norris! Also Hedges and Neil were awarded assists on our first goal but it was a CP turnover at the side of the net and a failure to cover the puck that allowed Rodier to dive in and poke it home. No other Raider touched it - but we'll take the extra apples! This seemed to be the theme as assists were awarded to CP players whom didn't touch the puck or were not on the ice. Garrod inparticular seemed to struggle (perhaps I need to go back to the recent referee post on HF Boards) in this regard.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:57 PM
overtheboards

Where's RIVERS ? Durocher only has 5 goals , for an NHL draft pick that's pretty bad

Old
12-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Ottawa Guy

Assists are a joke in the league, if you are good at asking refs for them you get them. I do not know how often unassisted goals get given two assists. It is a joke and refs really do not seem to pay attention (or just do not care)!

Old
12-10-2012, 06:39 AM
upinarms

Quote:

It appears you were at both games today. You seem to know what went on at both of them. Were you really at either?

Old
12-10-2012, 08:29 AM
BackBringCam

Rivers quit on Thursday night

Old
12-10-2012, 08:48 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBringCam View Post
Rivers quit on Thursday night
Wow. I guess he was pissed with the Brin'Amour trade. What the heck will he do now?

Old
12-10-2012, 08:51 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabbers View Post

I saw the Raiders 4-2 loss (EN goal) much the same but I didn't think the game was overly physical. The Refs were strange with their calls letting some foolishness go while clamping down on some meaningless activity. I would say more chippy then physical with punches, slashes and crosschecks going mostly unpunished.

CP was flying in the first and the best player on the ice may have been the older Edwards. I think he must have gotten hurt because he didn't return after the first (I am sure the numerous CP fans on here will know more). A fight later in the first seemed to awaken my Raiders as they played better after the "take down."

We are still missing Norris, Hodgson and Williams. I'll be glad when they return. I think both Yarwood and Milito could find themselves on defence once all hands are on deck. I liked what I saw of both of them this afternoon - both seemd willing to clear the front of the net and give out more than they take (Milito especially in his own end). Vered and Llorca were just average this afternoon on the backend - efficient I would say.

It seemed to me that all our scoring chances were from the outside or the side wall and for the second game in a row our PP didn't deliver (this time on a 4 minute man-advantage at the end of the first) when we needed it. I thought Watt played an energetic game but Nasca certainly needs to provide more (at least until the aforementioned injured are healed).

I thought both goalies were pretty good (and perhaps could have garnered star consideration) and "Z" was helped out by his goalposts on three or four occasions (if you ask him I'm sure he'll tell you that's all he gave them and his angles were on). He made a couple outstanding glove saves - especially one in the second - to keep the game close.

Still overall an entertaining game. I am also looking forward to Smiths Falls later this week.

Finally - and on a humerous note - two of the three stars were verbally announced at the games completion for the Raiders and...wait for it....one went to Norris! Also Hedges and Neil were awarded assists on our first goal but it was a CP turnover at the side of the net and a failure to cover the puck that allowed Rodier to dive in and poke it home. No other Raider touched it - but we'll take the extra apples! This seemed to be the theme as assists were awarded to CP players whom didn't touch the puck or were not on the ice. Garrod inparticular seemed to struggle (perhaps I need to go back to the recent referee post on HF Boards) in this regard.
JC was pissed that he took those penalties and sent him off.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:02 AM
wrister82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
JC was pissed that he took those penalties and sent him off.
You mean JC was pissed at the older Edwards and told him to take his gear off??
Has this not happened before??

Old
12-10-2012, 09:10 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister82 View Post
You mean JC was pissed at the older Edwards and told him to take his gear off??
Has this not happened before??
Yes, and I believe it happened to the younger Edwards earlier in the season.

Closed Thread