HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

No more!! The fans are the ones losing, will you pledge? *Just Drop It campaign*

Old
12-10-2012, 02:59 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 500
Myself, I'm becoming a casual fan, after 30+ years of following the league. I'll watch games that I am able to download off torrent/warez sites (+- 20-30 regular season games and then SCF). Given that I'm in Europe now there's zero chance I'll be waking up to watch online streams.

I've been steadily loosing interest in the league since the product has been getting worse IMO and now this CBA mess AGAIN.

Whatever, the league will survive without me.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:09 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
I wouldnt be on HF and be following the lockout 24/7 just to not watch games once hockey returns.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:25 AM
ByeBye

I don't know but aren't fans in North America too unorganized for doing anything anyway?

I mean there have been protests of all kinds in football in Europe but that was organized by fan the respective fan clubs of the teams. Is there such structure in North America?

For example, the German Bundesliga wants to decide on tightening saftey regulations during games on the 12th December (this may be a little inaccurate because I don't really care but you get the gist of it, they're deciding on something that's possibly disadvantegous/uncomfortable for some fans). Therefore, the fan clubs across teams got together and decided that they will not enter their respective blocks in the stadiums and remain silent until 12:12 minutes in the game at all games until the 12th. Of course this hurts no one financially but you could really hear/see the difference on TV and of course in the stadium plus it got some media attention.
Again, while this will not do any financial damage, it seems more feasible than boycotting all kinds of NHL products (especially with the season tickets being paid already) and still sets some sort of sign.

So I'm wondering, would any kind of collective action among fans across the NHL be possible at all?

ByeBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:33 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

I'm on board, i'm sick and tired of the league and players taking fan loyalty for granted, as if they are entitled to the billions of dollars they get

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:41 AM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

I still plan on watching hockey if the season is saved. However, I pledged not to spend money on NHL merch or go to live games until at least 2014.

If the season is cancelled...I'm done with the NHL. Done as in, won't watch NHL again.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:50 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Simply ....

If I drop my season tickets, I won't have the opportunity to get a pair of seasons anywhere in the building for 10+ years. The waiting list is well over 2,000 last time I read. So, I will absolutely positively not give up my tickets. Unless I can't afford them anymore, or hate the sport, or move out of the area. This is my second lockout as a STH, I am aware of the risk of being one and accept that risk. I am not a big merch buyer. Never have been. I buy a hat every couple years, that's about it.

Those that are so upset about spending money on tickets, then stop! All the more available to other fans

And there are plenty.
That's the thing. In big markets dropping your ST's won't make a difference cause there's someone else in the line who would be very happy to buy them. I suppose getting rid of your ST as a Leafs fan doesn't make much sense.

It's a very different story for small market teams.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:08 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Ha, I'm all in!

No games on TV? The only way to watch would be buying a complete set of pretty expensive pay-tv and they bring, at least when I checked last, 2 or 3 games weekly. Guess how often you see your team then. So I'll have to keep watching streams anyway

No more games live? Hell, I'll die as a happy fan if I manage to watch the Blues live more than ten times

No merch? The only stuff Reebok, CCM and Co send over here are from O6 and some other chosen few teams, so no problem for me. And needless to say that the available stuff is ridiculous overpriced as well

So this seems to be the first time Euro-fans don't have to be jealous

Anyway, I wish em good luck with their campaign and its not a suprise for me that people here don't like it. On HF, the H stands for hardcore, right?!

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Frank Garrett

Please let Rick Nash out of the closet. You're taking it too far.

Frank Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:37 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Garrett View Post
Maybe its the best for him, otherwise he just would get injured again...and again...

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Jopsey

If and when the lockout ends, I will watch the games on tv, but I don't think anyone should attend the games. That's what would hurt the NHL the most.

Jopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:55 AM
PatriceBergeronrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsey View Post
If and when the lockout ends, I will watch the games on tv, but I don't think anyone should attend the games. That's what would hurt the NHL the most.
I hope so. It will be a lot easier to get Bruins tickets. I don't think it will hurt the B's one bit. The Seguinistas will still come out in full force. Never underestimate the loyalty of the teen market.

PatriceBergeronrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:02 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

if we get a season i'll watch games on tv, but honestly the integrity of the season lacks when you play less than 60 games, it's not a real season, i most definitely will not buy tickets or center ice this year, the NHL and the players may wanna re-adjust their growth projections. there needs to be repercussions for the nhl and players thinking we're just gonna keep giving them our money

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Garrett View Post
He'll come out of the closet when he WANTS to. Just like he plays hard when he WANTS to!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Legionnaire11

If you have Season Tickets, that's fine, go to games, enjoy the hockey. Don't buy extras.

As I said when this was introduced in the other thread, it's unrealistic to believe that any fan movement will empty arenas. But I think getting them down to 75% is a realistic goal and would definitely put a dent in league revenues. This is what should have happened last time, we might be in a different position today, or at least have more momentum for a larger protest this time which could deter the next work stoppage.

As for TV, go ahead and watch. Unless you're a Nielsen household, it doesn't affect the NHL one bit if you watch or don't watch.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:52 AM
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.

Yeah. I'm peeved there's a lockout but once the game returns I'll be back to watch the game.

12-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I'm watching on TV but that's about it. No tickets and merchandise for a long time

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:22 AM
sabresEH

A little OT but I have a suspicion that the Boston fan and the Vancouver fan from the video are Mike Eruzione and Mark Johnson from Miracle. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:02 PM
useref15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
I'm taking the pledge or well part of it. I will not buy any tickets or merchandise. I need to watch the games though. However, ticket sales account for 50% of NHL revenue, so I still feel like I will be making a difference since I usually go to 15 games a year
You sound like every other Islander fan that hasn't shown up to a game in years.

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:18 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
You sound like every other Islander fan that hasn't shown up to a game in years.
now thats clever. good thing you brought some originality to the thread.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:22 PM
CerebralGenesis

I sure do hope that everyone can stay away from the league and hurt them financially when they return. All parties involved don't believe any negativity will spill over once they start playing.

Actual monetary damage will make them reconsider this in 10 years.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
That's the thing. In big markets dropping your ST's won't make a difference cause there's someone else in the line who would be very happy to buy them. I suppose getting rid of your ST as a Leafs fan doesn't make much sense.

It's a very different story for small market teams.
Well, it's different, yes. I know of someone who didn't renew his season tickets because he refused to do so for a potentially shortened season (or no season). Now he's upset because his seats were snapped up right away by someone else. I guess he thought the team should hold them for him even though he didn't renew. So, while he can still get season tickets, he can't get them with the friends he's sat with for years. That possibility alone was enough for me to renew - I've been with the same groups of STHs for 17 years, I don't want to sit anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsey View Post
You're overlooking the fact that a lot of season ticket holders have already paid for their tickets. Not going to the games would only hurt our wallets because they already have our money.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:10 PM
HBK27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
If you have Season Tickets, that's fine, go to games, enjoy the hockey. Don't buy extras.

As I said when this was introduced in the other thread, it's unrealistic to believe that any fan movement will empty arenas. But I think getting them down to 75% is a realistic goal and would definitely put a dent in league revenues. This is what should have happened last time, we might be in a different position today, or at least have more momentum for a larger protest this time which could deter the next work stoppage.

As for TV, go ahead and watch. Unless you're a Nielsen household, it doesn't affect the NHL one bit if you watch or don't watch.
THIS.

Go ahead & watch games on TV, since it will not impact ratings unless you have a Nielsen box. I can also understand people with season tickets not wanting to just give those up & not attend. All we need is enough people to make a conscious decision to spend significantly less on the NHL to make an impact.

If the NHL had struggled after the ‘04/’05 lockout, similar to MLB after the ’94 strike, does anyone really think we would still be in the position we are today?

I absolutely knew during the last lockout that I would be back, in part because I understood why it happened & felt the league needed to implement a salary cap system for the long-term health of the league…and I could understand the players (seemingly led by hardliners backing Goodenow) would fight to resist. Either way it sucked, but I knew once they returned to the ice I would be rooting just as hard as ever – and I was there opening night in NJ watching Crosby & Parise play their first career games on opening night after the lockout. I didn’t make false threats that were forgotten once the lockout was over.

This time is different. Perhaps it’s because it seems unfathomable to me that as soon as the CBA expires – one which already cost them a season & grew revenues for both sides well beyond what they could’ve hoped for – they go right back to another work stoppage. Or maybe because this lockout seems to have no other rationale aside from pure greed. Largely though, I just don’t think I can come back with the same level of passion I’ve had for the game after seeing the leaders of it just take that passion and hard-earned money for granted.

I can’t go from being a die-hard fan & watching every game and attending as many as I could afford to just abandoning a game I love so much, but I’ve also had enough seeing it be killed by greed and being taken for granted that I will take a stand the only way I can – by giving them less money.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

I dropped my season tickets a few months ago and I won't be back for awhile. No merchandise purchases either.

I could use the extra money now anyways. Kids, mortgage, etc... things I didn't have when I first bought them.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
It's not a bad idea but it's totally unfeasible for someone like me - my season tickets are paid for. I'm unemployed at the moment (one year so far). I can't just not show up and flush that money down the commode. It's no problem for me to not buy merchandise or food at the arena - I already do neither of those, so, unfortunately, I won't have much impact in that regard. Supporting businesses around the area I can do if the budget will let me, I don't exactly have cash to throw around right now!
So... you're unemployed yet you have a fully paid for,full season ticket package? and you don't want to flush the money down the drain? You don't have the cash to throw around, yet you won't cancel your tickets and get your money back?

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Pantherfan12

I'm doing it! I think every fan should. I had season tickets, but I cancelled and got my money back. I am sorry but this is ubsurd and if nothing is done, they will continue to do this time and time again. If you have season tickets, cancel them! Get your money back... NOW.. They are sitting on your money for free, and using that money to pay their bills until they come to some resolution. Is that fair? Is it fair that these greedy A-holes get to toy around like that,on OUR money for free and no reprocussions afterwards? If you don't want too, that's okay. Just stop complaining about the lockout and voicing your opinions. I am taking this person because millionaires and billionaires are fighting over money like they are going to go broke in the next two years. They make more money in one single year then most of us will make in our lifetimes. This could've been resolved years ago,but instead Fehr and Bettman want to play cat and mouse and the only people it is hurting is the fans, and employees of those franchises. What about them? Why didn't they get 10k from the NHLPA like the players did? They have families to support too. They weren't being greedy about their work. Those people go to work in all weather conditions, whether sick or healthy.
I am sorry for the rant, but I am tired of excuses. I am tired of the back and forth. I am tired of the greed and the lies. I love my Panthers,and I'll watch the games on tv and support them but I'll be dam**d if I will be renewing my tickets, or even going to a game in a year or two. I may be one man,but they will hear my voice!

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote