HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2012, 04:51 PM
joe89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
was it a good scrap? alot of punches thrown?
Yes, that was a good and honest fight.

Ferraro tried to stick up for Almqvist, didn't really see what caused it. He took down Beach, then Beach came back up and gave him a pounding really. Still, his teammates gonna like that one.

Aubry and Flick were kinda tied up with a bunch of players around. But Aubry got a decisive takedown when he landed a good punch.

Refs are right on the edge on losing this game. We'll see what happens in the third. Grant is still due for one fight, I feel.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:54 PM
TNigs

Smith took a couple rights at the end of his fight that knocked him down.
Ferraro got his head beaten in the whole fight.
And Aubry with the wicked uppercut to knock Flick for a loop!

Old
12-09-2012, 05:09 PM
joe89

If you can't hit the net, you might aswell hit two Rockford guys. Smith will gladly take that goal.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:29 PM
joe89

If Callahan wants to play disturber he needs to learn to not get the extra 2. At least he got Shaw out of the game too.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:40 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
If Callahan wants to play disturber he needs to learn to not get the extra 2. At least he got Shaw out of the game too.
Yeah, I think that is something Blashill is trying to teach him, would not surprise me if he is the scratch next game. There is a time and a place, today I don't really want to blame him because Rockford was acting like fools. However he was trying to go with the lead in the Chicago game the other night. He needs to pick his spots better.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 12-09-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old
12-09-2012, 07:21 PM
MBauer

McCollum has been really good in his last few games, it appears he has taken back his starting spot. It's nice when you have two goalies competitively battling for the starter position.

Despite being a +2 Nyquist was disappointing again, 1 assist and 0 goals in his last 6 games. Before his slump he seemed to be creating multiple legit scoring chances every game, he has seemed relatively invisible recently.

Last edited by MBauer: 12-09-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old
12-09-2012, 07:57 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBauer View Post
McCollum has been really good in his last few games, it appears he has taken back his starting spot. It's nice when you have two goalies competitively battling for the starter position.

Despite being a +2 Nyquist was disappointing again, 1 assist and 0 goals in his last 6 games. Before his slump he seemed to be creating multiple legit scoring chances every game, he has seemed relatively invisible recently.
I think that McCollum knows that if he doesn't get his **** together he will more than likely be done as a legit NHL prospect. Especially with the hype Mrazek is bringing behind him and that Mrazek has backed up said hype may have given McCollum the motivation he needs to get his head put on straight.

I just looked at the box score and saw Ferraro had 2 goals, has he shown that he could possibly play in a top 6 now? I've got the feeling that he ends up as a Right Handed Cleary, able to use his speed and grit to play anywhere in the top 9. The fact he's got a great shot only helps his case.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:59 PM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
I think that McCollum knows that if he doesn't get his **** together he will more than likely be done as a legit NHL prospect. Especially with the hype Mrazek is bringing behind him and that Mrazek has backed up said hype may have given McCollum the motivation he needs to get his head put on straight.

I just looked at the box score and saw Ferraro had 2 goals, has he shown that he could possibly play in a top 6 now? I've got the feeling that he ends up as a Right Handed Cleary, able to use his speed and grit to play anywhere in the top 9. The fact he's got a great shot only helps his case.
Pretty much. Right-handed utility player with pace. He can play in all situations and can play a gritty game too.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:12 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Mrazek should still be the starter IMO. He's what, 7-1?

Old
12-10-2012, 12:48 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
He'll never be on the level of a healthy Cleary but I think he'll be a guy you can bump into your top 6 and not be too worried about it. He has enough finish that he can get a good shot off if a decent center is setting him up but doesnt have the scoring knack Cleary does. I really doubt Ferraro ever puts up 26 goals in 60 something games.

He'll be more of a strong third liner and the type of player you win games with. He plays great defensively, is fast, hits and will sacrifice for the team. Whether its a blocked shot or fighting a guy twice his size like tonight he'll do it. Hes quickly rising to the top of my list of favourite prospects.

As for the game tonight. Shaw did better then I expected and managed a draw out of Smith, thats a battle we're going to see plenty of down the road. Aubry did pretty good against a very legit fighter and hes still as skinny as a noodle. Once he gets to the weihgt he should be he'll be man handling most guys.

Mccollum is starting to give me the feeling that we wont lose because of him anymore, but Mrazek is still clearly better.

I dont have a problem with Callahan at all tonight. In a game like that he got jumped from behind and somehow got an extra 2 for carrying on an altercation (weak call) and then a guy comes right over into the bench at one point trying to fight. I'm more disappointed that Grant didnt do something out there with guys like Beach running around

Old
12-10-2012, 05:29 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBauer View Post
What is the speculated injury he has?

Usually 90% of slumps are injuries that kills your confidence. I don't know any other player than Steve Yzerman, that can keep his level same when playing through injuries.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:53 AM
joe89

They had to start McCollum. You don't sit a guy like him after a shutout, it's like the biggest success he's had in years. It's good, will keep Mrazek sharp.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
They had to start McCollum. You don't sit a guy like him after a shutout, it's like the biggest success he's had in years. It's good, will keep Mrazek sharp.
Just unbelieveable, what good competition can do. McCollum has been total waste until Mrazek arrived. And he has been nothing but great after that.

We have very good goalie tandem now down there.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:09 AM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
Mrazek should still be the starter IMO. He's what, 7-1?
You go with whoever has the "hot glove". As joe said, he's on form now and it wasn't a back-to-back situation. It paid off too. He made a some great saves, especially at 3-2 when Rockford had another PP. That led to Ferraro's EN.

I really hope McCollum can build on this. Not only because that would mean the 1st round pick didn't go to waste, but he seems to be a genuinely nice guy with a lot of potential.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
You go with whoever has the "hot glove". As joe said, he's on form now and it wasn't a back-to-back situation. It paid off too. He made a some great saves, especially at 3-2 when Rockford had another PP. That led to Ferraro's EN.

I really hope McCollum can build on this. Not only because that would mean the 1st round pick didn't go to waste, but he seems to be a genuinely nice guy with a lot of potential.
Yep, I've been a critic but I'm happy to see the guy get his game back on track. I think it was a great decision to help him rebuild his confidence. It worked out just fine and you're a much better hockey club if you've got two really solid goaltender. With Pearce and McCollum we had zero, now you've got two since Mrazek showed up on the scene. Imagine if they still had him toiling down in Toledo.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:33 AM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Yep, I've been a critic but I'm happy to see the guy get his game back on track. I think it was a great decision to help him rebuild his confidence. It worked out just fine and you're a much better hockey club if you've got two really solid goaltender. With Pearce and McCollum we had zero, now you've got two since Mrazek showed up on the scene. Imagine if they still had him toiling down in Toledo.
I think this is the perfect situation to be in. Top 2 goaltending prospects battling it out in the AHL, while Pearce is getting some games in the ECHL. Pearce was never going to be an NHL goaltender. He's already 26 years old. He can just play-out his time in the minors and then move on to his medical career while not hindering legitimate prospects.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:40 AM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
I think this is the perfect situation to be in. Top 2 goaltending prospects battling it out in the AHL, while Pearce is getting some games in the ECHL. Pearce was never going to be an NHL goaltender. He's already 26 years old. He can just play-out his time in the minors and then move on to his medical career while not hindering legitimate prospects.
Mean.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:25 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Did someone kidnap McCollum and replace him with a competent goalie? Man, I gotta get to a Griffins Game sometime...

Old
12-10-2012, 08:00 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Did someone kidnap McCollum and replace him with a competent goalie? Man, I gotta get to a Griffins Game sometime...
He actually sports decent numbers right now. Madness

Old
12-10-2012, 08:39 PM
cjm502
#FireHolland

Dont worry guys, McCollum will completely tank and let everyone down again. You should all know this by now.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
I bet they swapped Paterson and McCollum. The perfect crime.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:26 PM
redbeard7737

i expected brendan smith to be dominating this year, seems like he is struggling to put up points, whats the reason?

Old
12-10-2012, 10:32 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
i expected brendan smith to be dominating this year, seems like he is struggling to put up points, whats the reason?
He is playing very well after a sloppy first couple of weeks. Looked like he was trying not to get hurt expecting the NHL season to start. As it became more clear he needed to commit to the AHL he has really been a force. Some of those points are basically going away by making the right play. Teams are allowing Billins all the freedom in the world on the first PP and really cheating towards Smith. He is making the smart hockey play and the team is winning but he is basically the third assist in a lot of plays. His defense looks a little better and he is dangerous offensively could use a couple of breaks but he is playing well.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:39 PM
FissionFire

Isn't Billins basically the PP trigger now? That alone will make Smith's numbers drop. Smith really seems to be the Lidstrom of the Griffins now, playing the defense-first type of role for his more offensive partner. Lidstrom/Schneider, Lidstrom/Murphy, Lidstrom/Rafalski. Now it's Smith/Almqvist, Smith/Billins, Smith/Paetsch. I don't think Smith has spent any time as all really with anyone who could be called an above adequate AHL-level defensive partner. Stick him with Evans and I imagine he'd be focusing much more on offense.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:17 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Isn't Billins basically the PP trigger now? That alone will make Smith's numbers drop. Smith really seems to be the Lidstrom of the Griffins now, playing the defense-first type of role for his more offensive partner. Lidstrom/Schneider, Lidstrom/Murphy, Lidstrom/Rafalski. Now it's Smith/Almqvist, Smith/Billins, Smith/Paetsch. I don't think Smith has spent any time as all really with anyone who could be called an above adequate AHL-level defensive partner. Stick him with Evans and I imagine he'd be focusing much more on offense.
Yuck, I hate this idea because I would like to stick Evans in the press box. Interestingly though I thought a couple of his best games came when Paetsch was out and he played with Nicastro. So I like it but Nicastro was really the only guy I liked watching him with. Lashoff and Almqvist seem to be getting along great so not many options. Watching Evans play top minutes would make me want to puke.

Closed Thread