HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2012-2013 NHL Lockout Discussion Thread

View Poll Results: Will there be any NHL games before 8/15/13?
Heck yeah! 11 44.00%
Only on my Playstation 14 56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-07-2012, 04:07 PM
zz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
You're really afraid a bunch of billionaires who are raking in the dough won't make more the next played season than they did before, aren't you?
And you seem really afraid that a bunch of multi-millionaires might actually share part of the financial risk associated with running a sports franchise.

At this point the players deserve a full season of European and second-tier American league salaries. The mere fact that they have no problem dealing with another work stoppage 5 years from now says a lot about what they think of their fans. ****'em.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Both sides are taking a dump on the fans here. We were told that by having a salary cap in place that the league would not be in a mess like this again and so on. Looks like we were lied to.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:14 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Both sides are taking a dump on the fans here. We were told that by having a salary cap in place that the league would not be in a mess like this again and so on. Looks like we were lied to.
Well, no one really anticipated revenues growing as fast as they did. And sharing is not enough to help teams that can't afford the floor to survive. So here we are. We lost a season because the players were sold a lie about the cap making them less money. They've never made more, so it was actually a great deal for them.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Well, no one really anticipated revenues growing as fast as they did. And sharing is not enough to help teams that can't afford the floor to survive. So here we are. We lost a season because the players were sold a lie about the cap making them less money. They've never made more, so it was actually a great deal for them.
Of course and there is no question the players made out good in the last deal. However, my concern is that once a deal comes in place again, its going to be the same talk as in the past of how this new deal will see to it we are not in another lockout again and we are again a few years later with both sides trying once again to find ways to circumvent what is written in that CBA.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:28 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Of course and there is no question the players made out good in the last deal. However, my concern is that once a deal comes in place again, its going to be the same talk as in the past of how this new deal will see to it we are not in another lockout again and we are again a few years later with both sides trying once again to find ways to circumvent what is written in that CBA.
It's important to note that this is only an issue because the NHL has by far the most dysfunctional labor negotiation process. If it was better, the league wouldn't be so terrified of changing around the structure to find something that works. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the average player coming from far more means than the other big 3 sports.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So NHL is willing to give an eight year out and the PA wants at least a six year out. I guess we can settle on seven years as the first out. Doesn't seem too complicated.

I really don't get the NHL's insistence on BOTH five/seven year individual contract term limits AND five percent max annual variance on those deals. Obviously the PA's offer of what essentially represents an allowable 75% variance is absurd. To me, a seven year cap with annual variance limited to ten percent still solves the problem of cap circumvention. They can't back dive as drastically and they don't put guys in to laughably late ages toward the back end of deals. Also, this limits such a ridiculously small number of union members that I can't see them willing to cancel a season over this. Who can complain about a seven year and ten percent limit? It's pretty darn close to having no limits. Just cuts out the silly, stupid ****. The Weber, Parise, Suter nonsense.

As far as the transitional, off the books cash goes...who gives a ****? Just do penalty free buyouts. Two thirds of salary and cap ONLY for the remaining years. Just forgive the penalty time extended years. Next summer it goes back to the same old rules.

As long as they play 54 games this season, I'll forgive and forget this whole mess. Except for Barch, Hainsey, Miller, and Derek Roy. They can all go eff themselves.

This thing just seems too close to torch. They should be able to meet in the middle on something they can all live with.

12-09-2012, 08:49 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
As long as they play 54 games this season, I'll forgive and forget this whole mess. Except for Barch, Hainsey, Miller, and Derek Roy. They can all go eff themselves.
Since I barely pay attention to this nonsense, what did those guys do?

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 09:12 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Since I barely pay attention to this nonsense, what did those guys do?
If you ever want to see some hilariously out-of-touch comments, go read their twitters. Roy made a comment on par with Modano's dog food comment, then followed it up with a tweet about his new Lamborghini. I'm glad that the only assclown we have is actually a designated clown in Biz. His comments are stupid but that's par for the course.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:27 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

At this point I'd just rather they announce the cancellation of the season now. Then the NHL puts out the new CBA and players have until the start of next season to agree to it. (45% players, 45% owners and 10% directly to ticket price reduction!) No negotiation. Here it is. Take it or leave it. If they refuse, let players that want to cross the line play starting with a new draft and let the rest go play in whatever league they want.

What I don't want is a shortened season with a schedule so packed I have a hard time making it to all the games. So I have to pay for them but miss half and the hockey is sub par because so many players aren't in good enough shape to handle the more frequent games. Players and owners make their money and we get totally screwed. To hell with that.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:12 AM
Rutkowski

Haha yes because the oh-so benevolent owners are going to lower ticket prices, just as they did after the last lockout!

Rutkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:07 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
Haha yes because the oh-so benevolent owners are going to lower ticket prices, just as they did after the last lockout!
It won't happen but dreaming is free.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
Quote:
DarrenDreger 7:50am via Twitter for BlackBerry® Further NHL regular season cancellations today. Thru Dec 30th.
Really terrible, this valley would have 100% of their eyeballs on the Coyotes right now...well of those who watch local sports.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Really terrible, this valley would have 100% of their eyeballs on the Coyotes right now...well of those who watch local sports.

It's almost comical how many bad hands the Yotes continue to have dealt to them but I guess 1 step forward 2 steps back is actually better than the 3 steps back we used to get.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

To think we are this close once again from having the season canceled. I felt so heart broken back then, especially when I was jealous of the other leagues that are more popular than the NHL at that time.

Anyways, can one of you mods please ad a simple poll to this thread?

The question would be: Will the 12-13 season get canceled?

Yes or No for the options.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

First time doing a poll but humor added...I am a joke maker.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I can't believe they won't agree to something. Gary Bettman's list of three hills he will die on are too close to what the NHLPA is offering. And the only places they aren't close are areas that are meaningless to 95% of NHLPA union members.

PA wants a six year out, and NHL is offering eight. Call it a seven year CBA and be done with it.

PA wants 75% variance (absurd but makes not a damn bit of difference to 95% of players) and NHL wants 5% variance. Call it 15%. It's limiting enough on contracts less than eight years to keep contracts from being embarrassing. It curbs overt, shameless cap circumvention and limits the huge gap between rich and poor teams.

NHL wants five year limits on player contracts with new teams and seven year limits for re-signings. If variance is capped at fifteen percent there is no reason worth dying on a hill for. Call it seven year limits across the board. Hell, if it gets a deal done, let re-signings go to nine years. (Age 35-37 capped at five years, 38-39 at three years, and 40+ at two years)

NHL wants no transitional off the books money such as amnesty buy outs or soft caps. This one is a little tough. With make whole, there really shouldnt be. Maybe let teams make one or two trades in which they pay half of the salary and eat half the hit for the length of the deal. That way guys don't get bought out and lose money and the full cap hit is on the books but shared by two teams. No money off the books, no guys losing dollars. Win/win.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:50 PM
doaner

Quote:
First time doing a poll but humor added...I am a joke maker.
What is this playstation you are talking about? Is this pre Atari?

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
Blades of Steel style!

Quote:
"@Real_ESPNLeBrun: NHL/NHLPA slated to resume talks Wednesday, sources on both sides say. Location unknown at this point."
Hope?

Old
12-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
While Playstation isn't as popular or not as good with the online playing as xbox 360, Playstation 3 is by far a better system overall. The graphics on the games for PS3 is even better than on xbox 360.

Still the joke made for the poll is funny.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:55 PM
letbob

There has to be some play this season.
The NHL Players can't be that stupid. Can they ??

letbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by letbob View Post
There has to be some play this season.
The NHL Players can't be that stupid. Can they ??
I just don't understand it. 725 players falling on their swords to protect their thirty richest guys with the most ridiculous, cap circumventing, embarrassing contracts.

That said, the owners are being a bit ridiculous, too. 5yr. limit is more limiting than it needs to be. 5% variance is more limiting than it needs to be.

They could go as high as 15% variance and as high as 7yr limits and still prevent the types of contracts they are trying to prevent.

1. 15m
2. 12.75m
3. 10.85m
4. 9.25m
5. 7.9m
6. 6.75m
7. 5.75m

7yrs, 68.25m, 9.75avg - I mean, it does back dive tremendously but 5.75m is worth putting off retirement. Nobody is going to leave that on the table. Plus, the cap it is never too drastically far from the actual salary. I'm sure the NHL doesn't think that goes far enough, but that's what we call a compromise. I think it's close enough to make teams shy away from the kind of silliness we've seen in these cap circumventing deals that have guys playing until they are 44 years old and only making 900kay despite a seven million dollar cap hit. Those are the embarrassing deals that should be prevented. Seven years, and fifteen percent largely discourages that nonsense.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:14 PM
awfulwaffle

This poll is ********, I refuse to answer until the XBOX is an option.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Naurutger
Free Max!

Mark Cuban says now is the time for NHL to fix itself

Quote:
“They’re both cluster[expletives]. There’s no good way [to negotiate] because everybody thinks they have a solution in those scenarios and nobody wants to listen to the other guy’s solutions.”
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...to-fix-itself/

Old
12-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Mark Cuban says now is the time for NHL to fix itself

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...to-fix-itself/
Really, Mark Cuban? Did you really listen to what the other guy had to say while the NBA Players were locked out? You know? That same lockout you wanted to have last season? That same lockout that led to the NBAPA starting to decertify when the owners weren't really willing to listen to what the other guy had to say?

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 12-13-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old
12-13-2012, 11:53 AM
awfulwaffle

NBA still has a massive problem, sorry AP, but your Lakers shouldn't have Kobe, Nash, Dwight, Gosal, etc. Same with Heat having Lebron, Bosh, Wade, or Celtics. The talent pool in the NBA is not very deep. The regular season isn't fun to watch at all, I mean hell, look at what the Spurs do. They tell their stars to go home and rest and basically give up a loss only to know they are going to make the playoffs, and the games don't matter much until you get to the playoffs!

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote