HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Should Gary Bettman go into the Hall of Fame?

Old
12-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Darth Joker

vCash: 500
Should Gary Bettman go into the Hall of Fame?

I recently read this suggested over in a thread on the Business forum, and I was wondering what people here thought of it.

Once he retires as NHL Commissioner, should Gary Bettman go into the Hockey Hall of Fame?

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Crease

That's a tough sell for me. He leads the universe in most games lost to labor dispute of any comissioner in any professional sports league in North America.

I haven't done my own research yet, but what type of accomplishments are considered the threshold to get in as a builder?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:59 AM
MrFunnyWobbl
So Aaron Baddeley

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
This is serious?

No.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:04 AM
LeBlondeDemon10

Yes. The game has experienced unmatched growth under his watch.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:06 AM
tony d
The man

I think he will. He's been commish for 20 years now and has led the league to a bit of growth.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:12 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
He might get Art Modell'd

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:24 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I think he will eventually, but it's going to take a good bit of time. Feelings about him are just too raw at the moment for me to imagine them subsiding in the near future.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I think he will. He's been commish for 20 years now and has led the league to a bit of growth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Yes. The game has experienced unmatched growth under his watch.
My problem with crediting Bettman personally with any of that, is that revenues increased largely due to technology vastly improving the scope and profitability of NHL broadcasts (remote production and electronic distribution alone...). Whoever the commissioner was during the technological revolution between the early 90s (almost no internet, limited cable/satellite) and now (almost too much internet and cable/satellite, lol) would have presided over record growth - no matter how many games they lost due to labour disputes, or how many attempts were made to "fix" the game through rule/officiating changes, gimmicks like shootouts, etc.

Is it accurate to say that Bettman has presided over the most rule changes in history at this point? Lots of modifications over the past 20 years, and I'm certainly going to point out that the DPE happened in the early years of Bettman's watch.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:58 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

In a perfect world I'd say not a chance, but as we have Ziegler in the Hall, it seems pretty much a given that if your the figurehead of the NHL (and you're not named Gil Stien), you get in.

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Bexlyspeed

i wouldnt put him in.

3 lockouts, its looking like 2 completely lost seasons.

Growth? doesnt sound like growth to me.

i know it the league has brought more $$ in than it ever has, and that makes this current lockout even worse.

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Theokritos

I think a solid majority of hockey fans believe the Hall of Fame should lock Bettman out.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Freudian
Calmer than you are

He will. They just have to give the fans a few years to learn to boo the new commissioner.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:48 AM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

He is a lock to get in.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
He is a lock to get in.
Ya, totally & completely. The BOG's with the exception of a few love the guy. When hired given 3 objectives; 1) Oversee pre-existing Expansion Plans; 2) Bring in Cost Certainty & establish a CAP system; 3) Secure a National Broadcast Contract in the US. Accomplished what he was instructed to do regardless of whether we agree with or like the way in which he went about it. Though there in & of itself one is left wondering how much of it was a case of just following orders; how much was it of his own concept, design & execution. Id hazard to guess he gets into the HHOF the same year he retires, steps down. His Contract runs for another 3yrs I believe, hard to say if he renews thereafter or does in fact retire, possibly moving on to something else.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Inkling
Habs Bandwagoner

I can't stand the guy, but sure he should go in as a builder. Hard to deny his influence on the game.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Pine Bluff Variant

vCash: 460
Yeah he'll probably end up in the HHOF, despite the protests of many. Like others have said in this thread, he presided over significant growth for the league, and he's managed to stay in the job through a whole bunch of work stoppages, so the higher ups clearly seem to be fond of him.

Last edited by Pine Bluff Variant: 12-10-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Pine Bluff Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:10 PM
vadim sharifijanov

i think unless the NHL folds, there's no chance bettman doesn't make the hall.

if it were my decision, he'd be banned from the hall due to crimes against hockey. hell, i'd even go pete rose-style and ban him from collecting hockey cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
I can't stand the guy, but sure he should go in as a builder. Hard to deny his influence on the game.
but is being influential the same thing as being a meaningful builder? eagleson was undoubtedly influential. he even did a few good things (summit series, e.g.), but he did an awful lot of damage. likewise, bettman.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Chileiceman

Hate him all you want there are millions of new hockey fans and thousands of kids playing the game that wouldn't be doing so if it weren't for Bettman

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Hard to say. Yeah he's grown the league into a multi-billion dollar business, but when you consider the inequality of the wealth that's generated, you can't just say "the league is profitable".

Also, it's the Hockey Hall of Fame, not the Business Hall of Fame.

Buck Aki Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:19 PM
saskganesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post

Also, it's the Hockey Hall of Fame, not the Business Hall of Fame.
"Builder" section. Bettman could be a neighbour to Harold Ballard.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:50 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Is there a Hall of Infamy? He might be a little more suited to that.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskganesh View Post
"Builder" section. Bettman could be a neighbour to Harold Ballard.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the 'builder' arguement, but it seems to me that a lot of the forward steps in profitability that have been made under Bettman's tenure have been made at the expense of a basic "gardianship" of the game.

I think the situation in Florida is a good example of this - a team with a tiny fanbase is basically serving as a loss leader for SS&E's other endeavours, and there are surely other examples of teams being granted to businessmen whose top concern is a real estate play, not a passion for the sport (full disclosure: even my team - the Senators - was conceived out of that same ideology)

Buck Aki Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

20 years as commissioner. Don't think they have any other choice.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:29 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Don't get me wrong, I understand the 'builder' arguement, but it seems to me that a lot of the forward steps in profitability that have been made under Bettman's tenure have been made at the expense of a basic "gardianship" of the game.

I think the situation in Florida is a good example of this - a team with a tiny fanbase is basically serving as a loss leader for SS&E's other endeavours, and there are surely other examples of teams being granted to businessmen whose top concern is a real estate play, not a passion for the sport (full disclosure: even my team - the Senators - was conceived out of that same ideology)
i think to various degrees, every exists as a real estate/urban planning gambit. i mean, you have to get the richers to pay for the team and the city to finance the arena somehow. i think the distinction is whether that team has some other meaningful reason to exist. judging by their fanbase, the senators obviously do. the panthers, not so much.

i was at a panthers game a few years ago when i was on vacation in miami. i bought cheap tickets from the team's website, something like $40 for four seats. really high up, but still. i was living in toronto at the time; that wouldn't have bought me a beer at the ACC. point is though, while i was waiting at the will call for my tickets, and the line was ridiculously long, i noticed that every single other person in that 20 minute line for tickets was comped. i know this because the ticket office was completely incompetent and each of the people at the five ticket windows had to confer with the others and root through file folders to figure out what promotion or what corporation the tickets were being held under. from talking to the people in my section, the only people who paid were the snowbirds from new york (they were playing the rangers), who were also on vacation.

the real question i guess is whether bettman will ultimately leave the game better than he found it. well, being that the game was already on the way up when he was hired and then he almost immediately curtailed its momentum by locking out the players in '95, has presided over two lockouts since, and given teams to multiple crooks, i have a hard time admiring what he "built." sure, the leafs are worth more now than ever before. but was that an inevitable result of extrinsic economic forces and inflation? did putting teams in miami, nashville, and phoenix really raise the value of the leafs or rangers or any other team?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:32 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Bad time to discuss this. I hate the guy as much as I hate the Fehrs, but he will probably go in down the road. Far, far down the road.

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote