HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Erie Otters Will Not Move to Hamilton for the 2013-2014 Season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-06-2012, 03:18 PM
  #26
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,877
vCash: 500
it's official HECFI board choices bulldogs over OHL

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:12 PM
  #27
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonOHL View Post
it's official HECFI board choices bulldogs over OHL
I am glad to hear that is the case. I said from day one that Erie would not be moving to Hamilton but others chose to believe the rumors. At the end of the day it just would not make sense for the OHL to allow the team to move there.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:55 PM
  #28
Mightygoose
I Am Groot
 
Mightygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ajax, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,466
vCash: 500
Now it comes down to how sucsessful Bulldogs are in getting the new lease with the Arena. Even the negotiations fail and the Bulldogs bolt to Laval or somewhere else, there will not be enough time for Erie to move this off-season so they'll need to honour their own lease to when it expires in 2014 which they should do anyways.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:02 PM
  #29
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,877
vCash: 500
anyone know if bill montague is reliable..

bill montague ‏@billmontague
Otters off to hamilton. I like it, great move, should enable them to attract top notch guys. I mean, honestly, who wants to play in Erie
Expand

bill montague ‏@billmontague
Be interesting to see if bassin can have success once move to hamilton is official, even though the league already approved it.
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:28 PM
  #30
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonOHL View Post
anyone know if bill montague is reliable..

bill montague ‏@billmontague
Otters off to hamilton. I like it, great move, should enable them to attract top notch guys. I mean, honestly, who wants to play in Erie
Expand

bill montague ‏@billmontague
Be interesting to see if bassin can have success once move to hamilton is official, even though the league already approved it.
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite
While I am no expert on Bill Montague I would have to say that this tweet is either unreliable or he is being sarcastic simply because we know as of now Erie is not moving to Hamilton for at least another season if at all.

I really do not know what else needs to be done for people to stop with the Erie to Hamilton rumors.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:58 AM
  #31
OHLArenaGuide
Registered User
 
OHLArenaGuide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London ON/St John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
While I am no expert on Bill Montague I would have to say that this tweet is either unreliable or he is being sarcastic simply because we know as of now Erie is not moving to Hamilton for at least another season if at all.
The deadline to apply to move is December 31. Until then, it's entirely possible for them to move for next year.

Quote:
I really do not know what else needs to be done for people to stop with the Erie to Hamilton rumors.
People won't stop as long as there's fire behind all the smoke. Regardless of whether or not the move comes to pass, I've heard enough information from highly reliable and well-placed sources to indicate that the Otters have at least been considering moving to Hamilton.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:55 PM
  #32
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLArenaGuide View Post
The deadline to apply to move is December 31. Until then, it's entirely possible for them to move for next year.



People won't stop as long as there's fire behind all the smoke. Regardless of whether or not the move comes to pass, I've heard enough information from highly reliable and well-placed sources to indicate that the Otters have at least been considering moving to Hamilton.
That is correct but the fact the City of Hamilton just voted to keep the AHL team last week instead of an OHL team should stop the rumors for a while. I also have spoke the very reliable sources and basically they said the team is not moving (I can not say anything other than that). Is the city of Hamilton going to reverse the vote to get an OHL team, make a deal with Erie to move the team, and then have the League approve the move in the next three weeks? I would say there is no chance of that happening at this point.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:10 PM
  #33
HF_Rangers
Registered User
 
HF_Rangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Edinboro
Country: United States
Posts: 753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
That is correct but the fact the City of Hamilton just voted to keep the AHL team last week instead of an OHL team should stop the rumors for a while. I also have spoke the very reliable sources and basically they said the team is not moving (I can not say anything other than that). Is the city of Hamilton going to reverse the vote to get an OHL team, make a deal with Erie to move the team, and then have the League approve the move in the next three weeks? I would say there is no chance of that happening at this point.
+1. And over 4,000 fans to watch Saturday's game (despite the outcome) should serve notice that Erie is still a viable market for the OHL. All they need is a winning product, which wouldn't happen until Bassin sells, leaves or drops dead.

HF_Rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:48 PM
  #34
OHLArenaGuide
Registered User
 
OHLArenaGuide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London ON/St John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
That is correct but the fact the City of Hamilton just voted to keep the AHL team last week instead of an OHL team should stop the rumors for a while. I also have spoke the very reliable sources and basically they said the team is not moving (I can not say anything other than that). Is the city of Hamilton going to reverse the vote to get an OHL team, make a deal with Erie to move the team, and then have the League approve the move in the next three weeks? I would say there is no chance of that happening at this point.
I'm sure you're right, but until the deadline passes or the team makes an official statement people have every right to speculate.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:01 PM
  #35
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,877
vCash: 500
Alls that vote was that city council did in Hamilton was the fact that gives Bulldogs the right to nego a new contract with the City of Hamilton.. It was also stated that if Bulldogs and Hamilton cant then Erie Otters and Hamilton can, thats all the vote was, was to say Hamilton has the first crack at getting a new lease done

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:13 PM
  #36
nosl
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nord de l'Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Never say never.

Very few could have predicted a return of major junior hockey to North Bay this fall & certainly there were those out there who said it would never happen. I certainly wouldn't have predicted the 2000 season's tickets in a week.

The Chilliwack franchise was relocated to Victoria overnight in the WHL despite the 3300 average & a brand new facility.

We shall see.

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:30 PM
  #37
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,877
vCash: 500
http://www.thespec.com/sports/local/...uld-buy-otters

Quote:
The owner of the Hamilton Bulldogs says he’s interested in acquiring an Ontario Hockey League franchise and helping finance a new arena in which it or the Bulldogs could play.

Bulldogs’ owner Michael Andlauer says he likes the OHL brand and has spoken to league commissioner David Branch about his interest.

“There’s no doubt the league knows I’m desirous of having a team,” he says. “It’s definitely on my radar. It’s all a matter of timing.”

Whether than means now or some time in the future is unclear. That said, Andlauer talked with Erie Otters’ owner Sherry Bassin about his franchise as recently as last week at the OHL Cup.
Just a bit from the Article... In other words its not closed yet

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:29 PM
  #38
OSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonOHL View Post
http://www.thespec.com/sports/local/...uld-buy-otters



Just a bit from the Article... In other words its not closed yet

Interesting read....

Count me in on the pro-Hamilton side of things. Its too bad though that Mr. Andlauer extended the AHL Bulldogs for another 3 years. By that time, the OHL teams that are most likely to be re-located could very well be gone to other markets by then. There's already talk that an OHL team is pursuing Chatham and will re-locate there if council approves a new arena. The Erie, Belleville and Mississauga situations will all likely be decided before 3 years time.

OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:38 PM
  #39
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSA View Post
Interesting read....

Count me in on the pro-Hamilton side of things. Its too bad though that Mr. Andlauer extended the AHL Bulldogs for another 3 years. By that time, the OHL teams that are most likely to be re-located could very well be gone to other markets by then. There's already talk that an OHL team is pursuing Chatham and will re-locate there if council approves a new arena. The Erie, Belleville and Mississauga situations will all likely be decided before 3 years time.
To be honest even though he has signed a new 3 yr exention... Look at the whole Vancouver/St.Louis Peroia/Chicago thing... St.Louis sold Vancouver Peroia so that they could move Peoria close to them at Abbotsford and Cgy is moving their farm team... Money talks people i bet if Montreal wanted to they would pay the money to break the lease... Ive been saying this whole time i think Bulldogs only get about 3k per game depending on the team they play, they would get more fans at a OHL game then they would at a AHL game

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:14 PM
  #40
OSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonOHL View Post
To be honest even though he has signed a new 3 yr exention... Look at the whole Vancouver/St.Louis Peroia/Chicago thing... St.Louis sold Vancouver Peroia so that they could move Peoria close to them at Abbotsford and Cgy is moving their farm team... Money talks people i bet if Montreal wanted to they would pay the money to break the lease... Ive been saying this whole time i think Bulldogs only get about 3k per game depending on the team they play, they would get more fans at a OHL game then they would at a AHL game
Still, if Montreal doesn't want to break the lease, then the AHL will stay in Hamilton for the 3 years and Andlauer might be out of luck finding himself an OHL franchise.

While money does talk, the Peoria situation is a bit of apples to oranges in comparison. St. Louis owns Peoria and Stillman needs to sell to come up with the extra $$ in order to retain Boumeester's contract and re-sign all the Blues' RFA's like Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. He needs to sell. The new buyer relocating the franchise from Peoria is inevitable under those circumstances. Bassin doesn't have to sell. He's got a newly renovated arena and can continue to own or hold out until he receives top dollar. Mr. Andlauer, so long as he has the AHL Bulldogs will probably not be interested in paying top dollar. Perhaps he will if/when he knows Montreal is moving the farm team but by that time it may very well be too late. JMO

OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:21 PM
  #41
OSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
And I absolutely agree that the OHL would do well in Hamilton. It is a vastly superior product in compasrion to the AHL IMO. I won't dispute that the overall talent level of AHL hockey is better, however, you will see stars in the OHL that will never see a minute of time in AHL. Stamkos, Tavares, Kane, Doughty, Yakupov, Seguin etc. Not only that, but there is no "parent" team raiding an OHL roster everytime there are some injuries.

Done properly, I see the potential of Hamilton to be that of the big 3 in the OHL (Kitchener, London and Windsor)

OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:05 PM
  #42
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,877
vCash: 500
What do u mean by the comment of the big 3? I could see them being a big rival with I cedogs? I Donno who else they would be rivals with

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:45 PM
  #43
OSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
By the Big 3, I mean the most successful teams in the OHL. They're the teams that have the best attendance, the teams that seem to get the best players, that win the most championships.

OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:50 PM
  #44
OHLFan8771
Moderator
 
OHLFan8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSA View Post
By the Big 3, I mean the most successful teams in the OHL. They're the teams that have the best attendance, the teams that seem to get the best players, that win the most championships.
Not sure if I would put Windsor in there anymore. They had a historic run for 2-3 years but before then were average at now look to be below average. Ottawa is also one of the teams with the best attendance from year to year.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:10 PM
  #45
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,877
vCash: 500
just wondering if teams move in OHL do they make the teams switch divisions or do they keep the teams in the same divisions no matter the travel... For example if erie did move to Hamilton would they keep them in the west conference or move them to east to rival with Niagara since they are close to st.kitty to rival with them

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:59 AM
  #46
OSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonOHL View Post
just wondering if teams move in OHL do they make the teams switch divisions or do they keep the teams in the same divisions no matter the travel... For example if erie did move to Hamilton would they keep them in the west conference or move them to east to rival with Niagara since they are close to st.kitty to rival with them
It depends on where the team moves to. When the North Bay Centennials moved to Saginaw, it was such a considerable move west that it would have been ludicrous to keep them in the Eastern Conference. So, the Spirit became part of the Western Conference and the Brampton Battalion (who had been playing the west) moved to the East.

When the Mississauga IceDogs moved to Niagara, they were given the choice of either moving to the West Conference or stay in the East (it would make sense for the IceDogs to be in either). Obviously they chose to stay in the East and maintain their IceDog rivalries. Had they opted to move west, Owen Sound would have likely moved East (although Kitchener apparently offered the league the option of them moving East as well).

If the Otters moved from Erie to Hamilton, there's not question that they would stay in the Western Conference. The Otters already play an unbalanced schedule. They play fewer games they against Sault Ste. Marie and make up those games with more games against Niagara. Nothing would chance IMO (although maybe the Hamilton team playing a few more games against the Mississauga Steelheads as well would be an option).

OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:01 PM
  #47
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,877
vCash: 500
OSA... Is it realistic to have a rival in the other division... I mean for example lets say Erie does move to Hamilton they could rival with Guelph and Kitchener in west and then Niagara in the east

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:52 PM
  #48
OSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonOHL View Post
OSA... Is it realistic to have a rival in the other division... I mean for example lets say Erie does move to Hamilton they could rival with Guelph and Kitchener in west and then Niagara in the east
Sure, I think you can have a rivalry between teams that are out your division. London and Windsor are a perfect example. Sometimes, even, those rivalries can be better than the ones that exist within the devision. Guelph and Kitchener play 8 times a year but, surprisingly, fans of both teams would probably say that it is not as intense as some might think. Generally though, a team's biggest rival will exist within the division: Oshawa/Peterborough, soon to be North Bay/Sudbury, just about everyone in Owen Sound would list Kitchener as the Attack's biggest rival.

So much of a rivalry is forged through playoff races and playoff matchups though. That's why out of Conference rivalries are hard to develop IMO. Owen Sound plays Barrie 6 times year. While the teams are pretty close geographically and provide the opportunity for fans of both teams to attend games between the two teams, the Attack and Colts will never meet in the playoffs unless its in the Final. Its hard to get jacked up for a game against a team that is on completely different path than you.

This is the issue with the Erie/Niagara "rivalry". So, in spite of being relatively close to one another and playing each more than a typical out-of-Conference team, they nevertheless are in different Conferences and the possibility for a rivalry diminishes as a result.

Even if the Otters moved to Hamilton, I still think the rivalry between them in the IceDogs would be pretty calm due to their Conferences (although I think there would be an uptick in intensity in games between the Storm and Rangers because of proximity)

OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:20 PM
  #49
OSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSA View Post
By the Big 3, I mean the most successful teams in the OHL. They're the teams that have the best attendance, the teams that seem to get the best players, that win the most championships.

Hey HamiltonOHL,

If you've followed the OHL draft today, you'll notice a few names on the board for London (Marner...supposed to be going NCAA , Werenski, Tkachuk), Kitchener (Bracco) and Windsor (Warren). These are all high-end players that would otherwise be 1st rounders. Its these teams' ability to get these players to report that helps makes them the Big "3"

Sidenote, Plymouth gets players to report as well (Greenway if their lucky). They're a great franchise but don't seem to have the fandom that the other 3 teams do.

OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:50 PM
  #50
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,877
vCash: 500
found the perfect way to solve the problem... If Montreal really wants to move the team that bad... Why not move the farm team to Quebec of which where they were before they came to Hamilton.. Have them temp play in Quebec until the new rink in Laval is done and then have the Otters move up to Hamilton to play at Copps temp until the new rink in Hamilton is done being built and then play out of the new rink n Hamilton

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.