HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 10:52 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

vCash: 500
he's got closer stuff
could be a good setup man at least
another brandon league type

Old
12-10-2012, 10:54 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Looking at the moves there seems to be an averaging out of the league's talent.

Yeah, the Rays lost Shields, but they had starting pitching to burn where they were hurting was offense. Myers and Escobar should help them a bit, not a great bit, but a bit. If Myers can make the big club out of camp it could be interesting.

KC gets two starters, the plan is to put Davis in the starting rotation, which isn't bad with his 2.43 ERA. Where KC stabbed themselves in the back is their offense is bad and they could have BADLY used Myers bat. Still, I think this move could move KC to a .500 team and who knows with the White Sox losing Youkilis and possibly AJ.

Yankees can sign Youkilis for 3B duty but without A-Rod and Jeter they are old, expensive and falling off the cliff. Boston was 26 games back, do I think they gained that by improving through subtraction? No, maybe at most 15 games.

With Toronto's moves I can see them at the top of the division fighting the Rays. 22 games back, I can see them gaining 10 of those just with pitching health, another 10 by the pick ups of Johnson and Buehrle. Change in manager, the added bats.

TB short term slight hurt but it really depends on the development of Myers and how Escobar plays. You could see TB winning the division again.

Tor: 92 wins
TB: 90 wins
Yanks: 90 wins
Baltimore: 89 wins
Boston: 82 wins

I think both of the WC comes from the west; LAA, OAK They are gaining the Astros which should inflate their wins.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Looking at the moves there seems to be an averaging out of the league's talent.

Yeah, the Rays lost Shields, but they had starting pitching to burn where they were hurting was offense. Myers and Escobar should help them a bit, not a great bit, but a bit. If Myers can make the big club out of camp it could be interesting.

KC gets two starters, the plan is to put Davis in the starting rotation, which isn't bad with his 2.43 ERA. Where KC stabbed themselves in the back is their offense is bad and they could have BADLY used Myers bat. Still, I think this move could move KC to a .500 team and who knows with the White Sox losing Youkilis and possibly AJ.

Yankees can sign Youkilis for 3B duty but without A-Rod and Jeter they are old, expensive and falling off the cliff. Boston was 26 games back, do I think they gained that by improving through subtraction? No, maybe at most 15 games.

With Toronto's moves I can see them at the top of the division fighting the Rays. 22 games back, I can see them gaining 10 of those just with pitching health, another 10 by the pick ups of Johnson and Buehrle. Change in manager, the added bats.

TB short term slight hurt but it really depends on the development of Myers and how Escobar plays. You could see TB winning the division again.

Tor: 92 wins
TB: 90 wins
Yanks: 90 wins
Baltimore: 89 wins
Boston: 82 wins

I think both of the WC comes from the west; LAA, OAK They are gaining the Astros which should inflate their wins.
Considering division teams play 72 games within their division, its almost impossible to have that many wins since if Toronto beats up on Baltimore, Baltimore isnt getting 89 wins etc, etc for each team. If anything it is likely a 87-89 win spread for the top teams.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I think at this point if Drabek can become a effectively wild high leverage reliever I will be happy.
Drabek has top of the rotation stuff. I think he'll be fine after TJ.

12-10-2012, 11:02 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Considering division teams play 72 games within their division, its almost impossible to have that many wins since if Toronto beats up on Baltimore, Baltimore isnt getting 89 wins etc, etc for each team. If anything it is likely a 87-89 win spread for the top teams.
I'll be honest, I see that as the MOST for the Red Sox, I could see them as low as 68 wins if they play Saltalamacchia at catcher against the Jays. Yes, he has a good bat but he could throw me out trying to steal a base.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Drabek has top of the rotation stuff. I think he'll be fine after TJ.
Agreed, but this is TJ #2.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:07 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I wasn't serious with the Friedman thing but yeah, I think if AA were to be promoted to President, the assistant GM (Tony LaCava I think?) would take over the GM role.
I know you were. I was talking about Tinnish though.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I know you were. I was talking about Tinnish though.
It does look like Tinnish is being groomed to be the heir to AA.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:11 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
he's got closer stuff
could be a good setup man at least
another brandon league type
who knows what will happen
glad to hear his throwing again
Although I'm sure it's minimally at this point.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:12 AM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Delabar, Santos, Janssen and Rogers aren't good enough for you?
Santos and Janssen have arm problems, Rogers had a couple of good months in Cleveland don't know if that will translate here, he was terrible in Colorado. Delabar was out of baseball and he could break down at any time. None of these guys are lights out finishers, their certainly are not Ward and Hinke.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:14 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
It does look like Tinnish is being groomed to be the heir to AA.
That's exactly how I feel although hopefully he doesn't get scooper by another team. He and AA seem very close and are around the same age. Maybe Beeston is doing the same with AA. I'm sure the jays organization has a lot of faith in him at this point. That would increase ten fold if we have a successful season.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:15 AM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
there going pretty hard for an upgraded team
They are starting to look good imo. Improved for sure.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
That's exactly how I feel although hopefully he doesn't get scooper by another team. He and AA seem very close and are around the same age. Maybe Beeston is doing the same with AA. I'm sure the jays organization has a lot of faith in him at this point. That would increase ten fold if we have a successful season.
Tinnish was promoted by AA into the director of scouting and then to assistant GM (making him our 3rd Assistant GM lol) AA is a former scout and likely views Tinnish in the same light.

I have heard before that AA was very well liked by Rogers and that he was going to take over for Beeston when he leaves, for the life of me though I can not remember where I heard that.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:17 AM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Yea hopefully all goes well. I don't really have to high of hopes for him anymore.
Maybe his wildness will be fixed. One can only hope. Catching him was worse than catching a knuckleballer.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:18 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

looks like the yanks are very close to bringing Ichiro back. I know he turned it around when he got to new york last year but man. Can they possibly get older. I really hope they give him a multi year deal.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:19 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Tinnish was promoted by AA into the director of scouting and then to assistant GM (making him our 3rd Assistant GM lol) AA is a former scout and likely views Tinnish in the same light.

I have heard before that AA was very well liked by Rogers and that he was going to take over for Beeston when he leaves, for the life of me though I can not remember where I heard that.
Yeah he seems to be taking a trusted allie along for the ride.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

But hold the phone. Here’s Jeff Blair speaking on his Fan 590 show this week, pouring water on anything resembling the potential reuniting of Marcum and the Jays (audio here)…

“Ah… there are extenuating circumstances with Shaun Marcum– no chance that he’s back here,” he explained. “I think the Blue Jays thought that there were some things going on in the clubhouse when he was there that they didn’t necessarily like. Shaun Marcum is definitely not coming back here, not as long as Alex Anthopoulos is General Manager, put it that way.”

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2012/1...ardly-know-im/

Here is where I read the Shaun Marcum stuff btw.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:40 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Santos and Janssen have arm problems, Rogers had a couple of good months in Cleveland don't know if that will translate here, he was terrible in Colorado. Delabar was out of baseball and he could break down at any time. None of these guys are lights out finishers, their certainly are not Ward and Hinke.
How many teams can you say have a setup-closer combo like that? There aren't many if any, teams that are able to have a combo like that.

Even in our own division:

Baltimore: Jim Johnson had 20 career saves over 4 seasons before putting up 50 last year. Flash in the pan or perennial all-star closer?

New York: Rivera coming of a very serious ligament tear in his 40's, he's a bit ? for the yankees this year.

Boston: Andrew Bailey, coming off serious arm problems, barely played at all last year, far bigger issues than Santos of Janssen

Tampa: Francisco Rodney... need I say more? The guy hadn't posted an ERA under 4 since 2007, and put up 15 more saves than his previous career high. Hadn't saved more than 14 games since 09. Probably the most erratic pitcher of all the guys I've just mentioned.

There are issues with everyone's back end of the bullpen. The Jays have Janssen and Santos who both had minor arm issues (no tears etc.) and have proven to be able to save 30 games at the ML level. They've also a TON of flamethrowers who can light up the radar gun that profile as set up guys or closers. I think SF was a good example of how you can make someone a closer and succeed. With no Wilson they got Romo to step in and he did a good enough job to win a WS

Old
12-10-2012, 12:06 PM
topched

Just after my long post about relievers....

Jays hire Hentgen as bullpen coach.

Our coaching staff is solid.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:06 PM
TieClark

Yeah I'm really not worries with the back of the pen. It's the depth of it that is the real question mark

Old
12-10-2012, 12:18 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2012/1...ardly-know-im/

Here is where I read the Shaun Marcum stuff btw.
i question the blog writers mental framework

Old
12-10-2012, 12:26 PM
BertCorbeau
The Sidebartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Just after my long post about relievers....

Jays hire Hentgen as bullpen coach.

Our coaching staff is solid.
Source? That's sick

Old
12-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Source? That's sick
Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi
#Bluejays name Pat Hentgen bullpen coach to complete coaching staff.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi
#Bluejays name Pat Hentgen bullpen coach to complete coaching staff.

Also, while I'm here, maybe a bit off topic, but what is our AAA squad likely to look like, considering there are no injuries beyond Drabek and Henderson prior to the start of the season and there are no new pickups?

Old
12-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

You know people have Jays Fever when they're getting ecstatic over a BP coach hire.

Closed Thread