HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nazem Kadri named AHL Player of the Week ending Nov. 18 - and discussion thread.

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
LOL

One of these is not like the others:

Duchene, Kane, Tavares, Hall, Seguin, Skinner, Nugent-Hopkins, Landeskog, Kadri.
I know, his tweets are dissected and he is too fat, apparently.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:25 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Duchene, Kane, Tavares, Hall, Seguin, Skinner, Nugent-Hopkins, Landeskog would disagree with you.
Seguin started in the 4th line

Old
12-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Seguin started in the 4th line
Kadri is hardly starting out though and by the playoffs came around Seguin was pretty much ready to be a top 6 fwd, he certainly was the following season.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:49 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Kadri is hardly starting out though and by the playoffs came around Seguin was pretty much ready to be a top 6 fwd, he certainly was the following season.
He was still sheltered to begin though

Old
12-10-2012, 09:56 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

I've only seen Kadri play twice this year, both on TV. I'd seen him a dozen or so times last year (live) and he didn't look great.

I know he had a hot run, statistically, last month and his stat sheet looks okay, but from those who've watched him play this year, does he look better? Does he look NHL-ready out there?

He used to get pushed around a lot, had trouble making plays in traffic, didn't have the strength/agility combination to be effective. Always great puck skills but inability to create separation for himself, giving him time/space to make plays.

He's gotten much better this year, seems stronger and smarter with and without the puck.

Any thoughts on how his game is progressing?

I'd love to see him get a real shot on the top line, with Kessel and either Lupul or JVR, but if there's no season, that won't happen! (brilliant anaysis by me!)

Old
12-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Well he played sheltered mins as a 18 year old out of junior, was pretty much a top 6 player at the end of the year.

Kadri is 22, he's had roughly 120 AHL games under him, he also has had 50+ NHL games under to his credit, that's more than Seguin had, if Nazem can show quickly in his first 5-10 games he is NHL ready, he should get top 6 mins.

He's the future of this team, his peers as I posted have already been contributing in the NHL, for a 7th overall pick, it isn't out of the ordinary.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:56 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I've only seen Kadri play twice this year, both on TV. I'd seen him a dozen or so times last year (live) and he didn't look great.

I know he had a hot run, statistically, last month and his stat sheet looks okay, but from those who've watched him play this year, does he look better? Does he look NHL-ready out there?

He used to get pushed around a lot, had trouble making plays in traffic, didn't have the strength/agility combination to be effective. Always great puck skills but inability to create separation for himself, giving him time/space to make plays.

He's gotten much better this year, seems stronger and smarter with and without the puck.

Any thoughts on how his game is progressing?

I'd love to see him get a real shot on the top line, with Kessel and either Lupul or JVR, but if there's no season, that won't happen! (brilliant anaysis by me!)
He has learned to read plays defensively and sense danger. His offense is and always was at an NHL level. He has worked on his core strength and is more balanced this season. He is not yet 'there' but he has learned everything he can at the AHL level and he should be up in the NHL. With that said he is more likely to start with two of JVR, Kulemin and Frattin rather than between Lupul and Kessel.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:57 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Well he played sheltered mins as a 18 year old out of junior, was pretty much a top 6 player at the end of the year.

Kadri is 22, he's had roughly 120 AHL games under him, he also has had 50+ NHL games under to his credit, that's more than Seguin had, if Nazem can show quickly in his first 5-10 games he is NHL ready, he should get top 6 mins.

He's the future of this team, his peers as I posted have already been contributing in the NHL, for a 7th overall pick, it isn't out of the ordinary.
That's not what I'm arguing, you responded to a quote which stated good players don't always need to start of in the top 6 by naming players who did start there, however Seguin wasnt one of those players. Regardless of the situation, he was sheltered.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:01 AM
daveleaf

Kadri is not a super star and because of that he will have flaws in his game like every other player out there. Does this make him a bad/poor player? Not at all. Kadri has the ability to be a very good effective player in this league. He has the ability and the talent that apposing teams will have to take him into account when they play the Leafs.

I think he is a good player and ready for the next step-if there will be a next step this year.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:01 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
He has learned to read plays defensively and sense danger. His offense is and always was at an NHL level. He has worked on his core strength and is more balanced this season. He is not yet 'there' but he has learned everything he can at the AHL level and he should be up in the NHL. With that said he is more likely to start with two of JVR, Kulemin and Frattin rather than between Lupul and Kessel.
Yes, I'm not sure the first line needs fixing, especially by bringing in an inexperienced player.

A Getzlaf fix ... certainly.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a prospect starting lower on the depth chart and moving himself up based on performance.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-10-2012, 11:06 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Seguin still plays sheltered minutes.

I think. I don't remember lol. But I could've sworn he played sheltered minutes last year...

Old
12-10-2012, 11:08 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Seguin still plays sheltered minutes.

I think. I don't remember lol. But I could've sworn he played sheltered minutes last year...
I'm thinking when you have a veteran club that had just won the Cup, a rookie and youngster isn't going to be considered the key player on the team.

But I might be all wet on that.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Interactif

Quote:
That's not what I'm arguing, you responded to a quote which stated good players don't always need to start of in the top 6 by naming players who did start there, however Seguin wasnt one of those players. Regardless of the situation, he was sheltered.
He was an impact player by the end of the year, what else do you want? I think you know by the list of players I listed that the thrown to the wolves arguement is ridiculous when the players I mentioned are all thriving right now. Right?

Old
12-10-2012, 11:25 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
I'm thinking when you have a veteran club that had just won the Cup, a rookie and youngster isn't going to be considered the key player on the team.

But I might be all wet on that.
Exactly?

Old
12-10-2012, 11:25 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
He was an impact player by the end of the year, what else do you want? I think you know by the list of players I listed that the thrown to the wolves arguement is ridiculous when the players I mentioned are all thriving right now. Right?
I don't get what your not following, I don't care about the argument, Seguin wasnt thrown to the wolves. He was sheltered all year and all through the playoffs except 4 games against Tampa and then was scratched until the end. The beginning of last season he started on the 3rd line. He never moved up the lineup himself, the whole line did.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Fogelhund

People get way too hung up on First line, second line, third line. Look, the players who have the best chemistry, and compliment each other play together. Should the line click, it will earn more minutes. Should the line be strong on the pk, it will get more pk time. Kadri and Frattin seem to have some chemistry. Grabs, MacA and Kulemin "had" chemistry. Lupul and Kessel have chemistry. If you can find a way to make each line work, great... then you play them in each game according to their play that day, and the line's strengths. Who cares whether they are 1st, 2nd, 3rd lines?

Old
12-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

For those asking, Kadri looks much, much better this year (at least, the last ~month). Offensively, he looks fantastic when the puck is on his stick. He looks stronger and smarter.

He's more active in the neutral zone, trying to break up plays defensively. He's taking the body more effectively now. His line rarely gets pinned in their own end, and he very often breaks through the offensive blueline and begins a cycle game.

I always ragged on him for having a poor shot, but it seems to have gotten more accurate. And actually, it seems deceptively powerful.

Just my two cents, but I like what I see and I hope we don't trade him away.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:42 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
PK Subban on Kadri: "Elite hands and hockey IQ."
During the intermission against Rochester Americans last game.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
For those asking, Kadri looks much, much better this year (at least, the last ~month). Offensively, he looks fantastic when the puck is on his stick. He looks stronger and smarter.

He's more active in the neutral zone, trying to break up plays defensively. He's taking the body more effectively now. His line rarely gets pinned in their own end, and he very often breaks through the offensive blueline and begins a cycle game.

I always ragged on him for having a poor shot, but it seems to have gotten more accurate. And actually, it seems deceptively powerful.

Just my two cents, but I like what I see and I hope we don't trade him away.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

He still needs to work though, he's better but he can be more. This is my reason for preaching patience and I hate being patient

12-10-2012, 01:15 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
PK Subban on Kadri: "Elite hands and hockey IQ."
During the intermission against Rochester Americans last game.
A kadri compliment?!?! Lies!

Old
12-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
A kadri compliment?!?! Lies!
Burke was in the back room with a loaded gun pointed at PK's head.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:46 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
People get way too hung up on First line, second line, third line. Look, the players who have the best chemistry, and compliment each other play together. Should the line click, it will earn more minutes. Should the line be strong on the pk, it will get more pk time. Kadri and Frattin seem to have some chemistry. Grabs, MacA and Kulemin "had" chemistry. Lupul and Kessel have chemistry. If you can find a way to make each line work, great... then you play them in each game according to their play that day, and the line's strengths. Who cares whether they are 1st, 2nd, 3rd lines?
good point.

but I'd think that Kadri's ideal spot would be with Kessel on the top line, their games complement one another (conceptually anyway). It's one thing to have balanced lines and chemistry across the lineup, whatever. Reality is, the Leafs lack top end talent and cannot compete with other teams even with career years from a lot of their guys up front. They need more.

Kadri, at least, has the potential to elevate his game (he's got a lot of untapped potential) along with those of his linemates.

Too bad we haven't seen it enough in his early years as a pro, but maybe he can find his game and start producing big points with consistency.

Or, wait for Nathan MacKinnon, or Connor McDavid or Tyler Benson. (Sorry Burkie)

Old
12-10-2012, 05:00 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

I think as good as he is playing in the AHL, he will play better in the NHL. He doesn't even have to score all that much. His main role will be to make plays and set up his linemates, this time he'll have people who can finish his sweet passes. Whether that be kessel, lupul, grabo,kulie,mac, JVR, or frattin. His game as a center has matured this year, and if there is no NHL season this year, it will be a great opportunity for him to perfect things like faceoffs that will help him be an even better centre. Even if he doesn't start out in the third line, it might be because they want him to earn his spot or ease into the Nhl, but either way it shouldn't take him too long to get to the second line and hopefully the first line.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:36 PM
D3ADLY

Quote:
LOL

Duchene, Kane, Tavares, Hall, Seguin, Skinner, Nugent-Hopkins, Landeskog, Kadri.
wait.. your not serious are you? most guys in there are first/second overall and the list round out to top 4 players selected aside from Skinner it's not fair to include Kadri in that list and compare him to high end prospects. You should see how many top 6-10 have done better then Kadri in the past 3 years i am sure there will be a few far better players then him but you'll come to know the difference of comparison.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:54 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
He doesn't even have to get top 6 minutes...Zetterberg and Datsyuk weren't just thrown in the fire without playing 3rd line minutes first
Quote:
Duchene, Kane, Tavares, Hall, Seguin, Skinner, Nugent-Hopkins, Landeskog would disagree with you.
Quote:
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3ADLY View Post
wait.. your not serious are you? most guys in there are first/second overall and the list round out to top 4 players selected aside from Skinner it's not fair to include Kadri in that list and compare him to high end prospects. You should see how many top 6-10 have done better then Kadri in the past 3 years i am sure there will be a few far better players then him but you'll come to know the difference of comparison.
Perspective helps.

Closed Thread