HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 11:51 AM
crazycanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
No way. Once they are on that plane that's it.
The tournament ends January 5 if NHL starts jan 2 how many games would they miss??? 2 ?? Tops
The only person they might call back before tournament start is rnh
If the season was to start Jan 2, then the CBA would have to be signed or at least agreed upon before Christmas. The Oilers would probably call RNH back before the tournament starts at that point.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hockey Canada takes a couple extra skaters to Europe for the pre tournament games, just in case this happens.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
No, I mean once dec 15 comes and they are on a plane that's it. The deal is done. No need to bring extra bodies. It's expensive and not needed. I say name ur players fast and get on that plane. Only rnh would get called back I assume
See, I don't even expect the Oilers to call him back, regardless. I don't think the organization is at the point where they'd deny one of their top young players such an opportunity (to be a top player, in a leadership position of some sort, and represent their country on a top international stage against his peers) for the sake of a couple of regular season games - no matter how contracted the schedule may be. If they had invested heavily in free agents, and were under pressure to deliver a championship next year, then it might be different. They're rebuilding through youth, though, with a window of opportunity that is surely large enough (given what they have at present) to allow even one of their best players to participate in something like this at the expense of so few games. He never got the chance to contribute to the U18 team, so I could see the team being reluctant to deny him (and Canada ) this time, too.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:07 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
See, I don't even expect the Oilers to call him back, regardless. I don't think the organization is at the point where they'd deny one of their top young players such an opportunity (to be a top player, in a leadership position of some sort, and represent their country on a top international stage against his peers) for the sake of a couple of regular season games - no matter how contracted the schedule may be. If they had invested heavily in free agents, and were under pressure to deliver a championship next year, then it might be different. They're rebuilding through youth, though, with a window of opportunity that is surely large enough (given what they have at present) to allow even one of their best players to participate in something like this at the expense of so few games. He never got the chance to contribute to the U18 team, so I could see the team being reluctant to deny him (and Canada ) this time, too.
If he were a winger, I'd be tempted to agree with you but since he's the 1C and QB quarterback, I think there is a very good chance they pull him back. It's a bit of a slap in the face to season ticket holders who have just endured a lock-out to loan out the team's most important player for the first week of the regular season.

The good news in this scenario is that they'd have to call back Yakupov too which would weaken Russia.

Personally, I'd prefer if they left both players in UFA until the end of the tournament.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:21 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
They did it with Sam Gagner.

Kept him home his rookie year and while he was performing well, didn't have RNH's impact.

The Oilers should be in the business of winning hockey games, while they are patriotic Canadians, there focus should be on making the playoffs.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
If he were a winger, I'd be tempted to agree with you but since he's the 1C and QB quarterback, I think there is a very good chance they pull him back. It's a bit of a slap in the face to season ticket holders who have just endured a lock-out to loan out the team's most important player for the first week of the regular season.

The good news in this scenario is that they'd have to call back Yakupov too which would weaken Russia.

Personally, I'd prefer if they left both players in UFA until the end of the tournament.
I wonder just how many of those season ticket holders would be screaming mad about Team Canada's WJC squad being denied RNH, actually. While it would be kind of hilarious to recall Yakupov and let RNH stay (imagine the Canadian media backlash if it was the reverse!?), I bet they're both ultimately allowed to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
They did it with Sam Gagner.

Kept him home his rookie year and while he was performing well, didn't have RNH's impact.

The Oilers should be in the business of winning hockey games, while they are patriotic Canadians, there focus should be on making the playoffs.
No doubt, but let's not pretend like teams actually treat players 100% like assets 100% of the time. I think RNH has a huge say in whether he stays or not. Also, Sam Gagner had already gotten the WJC experience (didn't make much of it), and was kept back in his second year of eligibility. RNH has his WC experience, but I think the WJC is a different beast for most North American fans/players.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 12-10-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 12:27 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
I wonder just how many of those season ticket holders would be screaming mad about Team Canada's WJC squad being denied RNH, actually. While it would be kind of hilarious to recall Yakupov and let RNH stay (imagine the Canadian media backlash if it was the reverse!?), I bet they're both ultimately allowed to stay.
Llol that would be hilarious. If they bring back rnh they will also bring back yak. But it would be funny.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:31 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:

No doubt, but let's not pretend like teams actually treat players 100% like assets 100% of the time. I think RNH has a huge say in whether he stays or not.
In Edmonton, the Oilers come first and Canada comes second. It's how we roll.

I don't mind Yakupov and RNH missing a few games to play out the tournament because I think it will be a good experience for them and I don't want the Oilers to foster bad will with either player for the chance to win a couple extra games in what will likely be another season outside the playoffs.

But if I was faced with having to choose between the Oilers making the playoffs and Canada achieving any level of international success I'd take the Oilers making the playoffs any day of the week.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Hey, I lived on Bellamy Hill for the better part of a year with a season ticket holder, I'm fully aware. But still...

Quote:
I don't mind Yakupov and RNH missing a few games to play out the tournament because I think it will be a good experience for them and I don't want the Oilers to foster bad will with either player for the chance to win a couple extra games in what will likely be another season outside the playoffs.

But if I was faced with having to choose between the Oilers making the playoffs and Canada achieving any level of international success I'd take the Oilers making the playoffs any day of the week.
Sure, I mean, that all makes sense and I agree, but let's not forget that we're talking about the decisions being faced by Steve Tambellini - former World Cup and Olympic player, as well as Director of Player personnel for a WJC, WC, and Olympic squad as well. If RNH says "I wanna go", I don't see him having a problem with breaking that news to Edmonton.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:44 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Hey, I lived on Bellamy Hill for the better part of a year with a season ticket holder, I'm fully aware. But still...

Sure, I mean, that all makes sense and I agree, but let's not forget that we're talking about the decisions being faced by Steve Tambellini - former World Cup and Olympic player, as well as Director of Player personnel for a WJC, WC, and Olympic squad as well. If RNH says "I wanna go", I don't see him having a problem with breaking that news to Edmonton.
Yes, but they already set the precedent with Sam Gagner.

I wouldn't worry about a deal getting done anyways, but if it does, RNH is going to be back in the NHL.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Yes, but they already set the precedent with Sam Gagner.

I wouldn't worry about a deal getting done anyways, but if it does, RNH is going to be back in the NHL.
Like I said, though, the precedent wasn't actually set, imo, because they didn't deny Gagner the chance to appear on that stage altogether - he already had it, and was disappointing, honestly. Where was the pressure to let Gagner go back? I don't remember it. Slightly different situation, and a player who probably has more call in his fate than Gagner did. And since I'd bet that they'd prefer to let Yakupov have a go at the WJC's since there's no real pressure to get him in an Oilers uniform right away (at least there shouldn't be with 19 year olds, and they'd still get a look at him without worrying about burning eligibility games or potentially an RFA year - guess they still don't know those rules yet though, without a new CBA), I still bet they both are allowed to stay.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:56 PM
wizard17

Scheiflle rnh huberdeau
Jeûner strombe Richie
Drouin machinons ratite
L'iPhone caréna ci d'âne aulx
Sisson wilson

Hamilton filet
Rein hard harrington
Pelé ch. Ouellette
Murphy

Sub an
Binnigton

Old
12-10-2012, 12:58 PM
wizard17

The 4 is
Lipon catenacci daneault

Old
12-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard17 View Post
Scheiflle rnh huberdeau
Jeûner strombe Richie
Drouin machinons ratite
L'iPhone caréna ci d'âne aulx
Sisson wilson

Hamilton filet
Rein hard harrington
Pelé ch. Ouellette
Murphy

Sub an
Binnigton
Wow, that better be some auto-correct awesomeness, lol. I'm assuming, based on the iPhone making the cut this year on your team. As good as it is... And is Pelé that good of a hockey player at his age? That'd be amazing. Which do we think will be better, Rein Hard or Rein Hard 2: With a Vengeance? Sorry, I'll stop.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Bob Barker

Quote:
Wow, that better be some auto-correct awesomeness, lol. I'm assuming, based on the iPhone making the cut this year on your team. As good as it is... And is Pelé that good of a hockey player at his age? That'd be amazing. Which do we think will be better, Rein Hard or Rein Hard 2: With a Vengeance? Sorry, I'll stop.
I know MacKinnon is a machine, but I think we could come up with something smoother than machinon. Actually, nah I like it.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Bob Barker

Here's my roster. Hopefully I'm close. The lines aren't set in stone, but these are the players I predict will make the team.

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Rattie-Strome-Ritchie
Hudon-Jenner-Danault
Wilson-McNeill-Camara
MacKinnon

Hamilton-Rielly
Harrington-Murphy
Oullet-Dumba
Reinhart

Subban
Binnington
Paterson (going out on a limb here)

Thoughts?

Old
12-10-2012, 01:18 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 12576
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
Here's my roster. Hopefully I'm close. The lines aren't set in stone, but these are the players I predict will make the team.

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Rattie-Strome-Ritchie
Hudon-Jenner-Danault
Wilson-McNeill-Camara
MacKinnon

Hamilton-Rielly
Harrington-Murphy
Oullet-Dumba
Reinhart

Subban
Binnington

Thoughts?
Reinhart will be alot further up the depth chart then 7th.

12-10-2012, 01:21 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Rattie-Strome-Ritchie
Hudon-Jenner-Danault
Wilson-McNeill-Camara
MacKinnon

Hamilton-Rielly
Harrington-Murphy
Oullet-Dumba
Reinhart

Subban
Binnington

Thoughts?
Murphy won't be in the top 6, if he makes the team he'll be the 7th defenseman who will play PP minutes.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Murphy won't be in the top 6, if he makes the team he'll be the 7th defenseman who will play PP minutes.
Haha, Faidh ar Rud Eigin will be having a chat with you shortly . But I'd agree with you.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
Reinhart will be alot further up the depth chart then 7th.
By a lot you must mean 5th or 6th

Old
12-10-2012, 02:02 PM
TrillMike

Quote:

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Rattie-Strome-Ritchie
Hudon-Jenner-Danault
Wilson-McNeill-Camara
MacKinnon

Hamilton-Rielly
Harrington-Murphy
Oullet-Dumba
Reinhart

Subban
Binnington

Thoughts?
I think you're pretty close.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:31 PM
jml238

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Mackinnon-Strome-Rattie
Hudon-Jenner-Monohan
Wilson-Danault-Ritchie
13th-McNeil

Hamilton-Harrington
Rielly-Reinhart
Ouellet-Sproul
7th-Murphy

Subban
Binnington

The 13th forward could really go to almost anyone who performs in camp.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:33 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Rattie-Strome-Ritchie
Hudon-Jenner-Danault
Wilson-McNeill-Camara
MacKinnon

Hamilton-Rielly
Harrington-Murphy
Oullet-Dumba
Reinhart

Subban
Binnington

Thoughts?
Just minor tweaks.. Don't think camara will make it, would
Like to see catenacci in there somewhere, and some swapping of the lower d pairings

Old
12-10-2012, 02:37 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Rattie-Strome-Ritchie
Hudon-Jenner-Danault
Wilson-McNeill-Camara
MacKinnon

Hamilton-Rielly
Harrington-Murphy
Oullet-Dumba
Reinhart

Subban
Binnington

Thoughts?
Probably the exact same guys I would have on my team, might slip Monahan in for McNeill or somebody.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:47 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Probably the exact same guys I would have on my team, might slip Monahan in for McNeill or somebody.
I have a tough time seeing Spott name 3 draft eligible guys to the team.

I think Mackinnon is a lock... and Drouin has a 50/50 chance.

Given the depth at C, and the fact that Mac and Drouin are ahead in that regard... I think Monahan is going to have to blow Spott and co. away in order to get a spot.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Booom

Quote:

As an Oilers season ticket holder, I would be very unhappy if RNH wasn't allowed to play in the tournament because he would miss a game or 2. I'd say as long as it's no more than 3 games(basically a week or so), they should let him play. Build his confidence and get him going quickly in an intense atmosphere sounds good to me.

Closed Thread