HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

CONFIRMED: RNH will attend camp!

Old
12-10-2012, 12:57 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
There aren't too many proven NHL pros at the WJCs.
Could be because there aren't very many of those proven NHL pros who are eligible for the WJCs. RNH happens to be.

But If you're going to give RNH heat for playing with lesser competition (assuming for the sake of competition the WJC is lesser competition) then I hope you're doing the same for all the NHLers in the Swiss league, German league, tier 2 leagues, and so on.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Mr Writer

Love the Nuge.

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:11 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
I expect RNH to play well, but not dominate. This is the biggest tournament of many players careers up to this point, so they'll all have adrenaline and nervous energy on their side. RNH has seen the NHL, so it won't seem to be that same kind of challenge to him, and I'm sure that most opponents he faces will be well aware that he's an NHLer and will play him especially hard.

Last edited by OneMoreAstronaut: 12-10-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: expect, not except
OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
I except RNH to play well, but not dominate. This is the biggest tournament of many players careers up to this point, so they'll all have adrenaline and nervous energy on their side. RNH has seen the NHL, so it won't seem to be that same kind of challenge to him, and I'm sure that most opponents he faces will be well aware that he's an NHLer and will play him especially hard.
I don't expect him to dominate either, 6 or 7 games, not really any cupcake teams in the preliminary round to pad the stat sheet, but 12 pts is achievable.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:41 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Could be because there aren't very many of those proven NHL pros who are eligible for the WJCs. RNH happens to be.

But If you're going to give RNH heat for playing with lesser competition (assuming for the sake of competition the WJC is lesser competition) then I hope you're doing the same for all the NHLers in the Swiss league, German league, tier 2 leagues, and so on.
I think the idea of those guys going overseas to steal the jobs of European players is hypocritical and repulsive.

However, I'd argue that the discrepancy between WJCs and the NHL is greater than any of the others you've brought up.

You're still dealing with a bunch of kids, while RNH has proven that he can excel among men.

Just seems like a waste IMO.

Patrice Bergeron was far and away the best player during the last lockout WJC tournament, he who had already won a WC and played a fair number of games in the NHL.

I don't think he really belonged there either.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I don't expect him to dominate either, 6 or 7 games, not really any cupcake teams in the preliminary round to pad the stat sheet, but 12 pts is achievable.
I'm hoping he is more in the range of Hodgson, Tavares and Schenn of 15-18 points. Those were 6 games as well. It will depend how much powerplay time we get and how much the coach spreads out the minutes. Frankly, 10-14 points would be good for any player, but I hope the expectation on RNH is just a little bit higher.

Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I'm hoping he is more in the range of Hodgson, Tavares and Schenn of 15-18 points. Those were 6 games as well. It will depend how much powerplay time we get and how much the coach spreads out the minutes. Frankly, 10-14 points would be good for any player, but I hope the expectation on RNH is just a little bit higher.
It it would be nice...but I don't think there'll be any 9 -1 or 12 - 2 drubbings this year. There's going to be 6 or 7 tough games straight through to the final (I hope)

Old
12-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
It it would be nice...but I don't think there'll be any 9 -1 or 12 - 2 drubbings this year. There's going to be 6 or 7 tough games straight through to the final (I hope)
It will depend on Slovakia and Germany. Will Germany employ their buzz killing 5 man unit spread across their blue line?

Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:47 PM
40oz

I really don't think this'll be easy for Ryan. Yakupov and Kuznetzov made comments earlier about going from playing against men to playing with your peers. Both are difficult in their own respects, playing with your peers is more unpredictable. Playing in the pros you are checked tighter but your linemates are better at getting you the puck and making plays.

Quote:
According to Kuznetsov, the true level of a hockey player shows only when he plays with his peers. Is that something Nail can relate to?

"I agree with him. Sometimes you score goals in (bunches) when you play against younger guys. Sometimes you score in (bunches) when you play with older guys because they think faster and create more opportunities for you to get points. So you get points because of your teammates," said the 5-foot-10, 190-pound forward. "On the other hand, when you play against your peers, you play against some guys who are better than you and some guys who aren't. I think it's more difficult to play against your peers — no matter what team are they on. You have to bring your A-game to the table. Every game is difficult. It doesn't matter if you play against Canadians or Americans or someone else. So, yeah, I agree with (Kuznetsov)."
Linky

Last edited by 40oz: 12-10-2012 at 07:21 PM.
40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I really don't think this'll be easy for Ryan. Yakupov and Kuznetzov made comments earlier about going from playing against men to playing with your peers. Both are difficult in their own respects, playing with your peers is more unpredictable. Playing in the pros you are checked tighter but your linemates are better at getting you the puck and making plays.
It's also worth noting RNH is very active incorporating and utilizing teammates. His CANADA teammates won't be able to capitalize as well as Eberle, Hall, etc. can.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Drij

Now the team has a scape goat for when they fail.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Those saying it will ruin his development...if 2 weeks of playing on a level beneath him ruins his development, he was never anything special to start with. Did it ruin Patrice Bergeron when he went to play for Canada in 2005? Absolutely not.

Fact his, he is in a unique situation where he gets to fulfill a dream once thought to have eluded him forever. Meanwhile, someone within the Oilers organization will get an opportunity to move up and play in his spot.

As for Hockey Canada, the best player eligible was made available for them, just as Bergeron once was. Even if the tournament is "beneath him," you still put the best roster together as you possibly can.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:16 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
does Nuge get the C? or whats up?

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:45 PM
StellerEller
Saku :D

vCash: 351
If I'm not mistaken, they're playing on international ice, so I believe RNH would probably make good use of it play-making wise, in addition to utilizing his NHL experience to succeed in the tournament. I don't expect him to dominate to the extreme, but he'll be the guy that stirs the drink for Canada, making others more dangerous and splitting defensive assignments since he's the big name he'll have the attention and be targeted to be shut down.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:08 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
I bet he'll at least get an A.
I think Jenner would be a good choice for the C as would other returnees like Harrington, and Huberdeau, all of whom are captains for their junior clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy33Clutch View Post
If I'm not mistaken, they're playing on international ice, so I believe RNH would probably make good use of it play-making wise, in addition to utilizing his NHL experience to succeed in the tournament. I don't expect him to dominate to the extreme, but he'll be the guy that stirs the drink for Canada, making others more dangerous and splitting defensive assignments since he's the big name he'll have the attention and be targeted to be shut down.
True, and he did well in the WC in Helsinki picking up 6pts in 8 games. If his linemates are guys like Huberdeau then I don't expect there will be much of a problem with anticipating those passes. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:03 AM
Fourier

If you don't watch him carefully you can miss a lot of what is special about this kid. He has a pretty subtle game. Even if he plays very well it is easy to feel that he was not dominant as he is not dynamic like a guy like Yakupov.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:51 AM
zeropotentate

This is Team Canada. Realistically Hopkins is going because he wants to play for Canada, not because he thinks it will help his development. He will take someone's spot because that is the nature of the game. People get cut because better people take their spot. This is hockey afterall, it is not exactly fair and equal.

zeropotentate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:44 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropotentate View Post
This is Team Canada. Realistically Hopkins is going because he wants to play for Canada, not because he thinks it will help his development. He will take someone's spot because that is the nature of the game. People get cut because better people take their spot. This is hockey afterall, it is not exactly fair and equal.
Do you actually think he might be playing junior hockey to develop? I'd say it's pretty damn obvious he is there to play for Canada, something he didn't get a chance to do as a junior.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:58 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I don't think there's any chance they give it to him over a returning player, personally. But we'll see.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Canuck21t

Wow, I forgot how young this kid is.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:49 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 3530
Quote:
I don't think so, he hasn't played with some of these players in a while and they'll give it to someone who has been playing in the juniors for the little bit.

As for RNH playing with canada, IT'S A LOCK.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote