HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v.23: The Return of Kyle Lowry

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 12:45 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 769
Got bored, made a gif

Hi, I'm Bryan Colangelo, welcome to Jackass!

Old
12-10-2012, 12:46 PM
thatshype

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I know Danny Granger is hurt and all but wouldn't a deal of Bargnani for Granger work for both sides.

Granger is hurt but when healthy is that SF we need.

Some other players the Raptors could look into are:

Derek Williams - Hasn't really taken off in Minnesota. Is a high pick and could break out with a change of scenery.

Tiago Splitter - Young with potential. San Antonio is more often than not a great fit for other team's rejects. Bargnani will flourish there, I know it.

Derrick Favours - Utah is also a good place for other team's rejects.

Thomas Robinson - I don't know why I mentioned him. He's one of my favorite prospects from last draft.
Derrick Williams - As been pointed out before, Williams is sort of a man without a position. Not big/strong enough for the 4-spot, not fast enough for the 3-spot. I'm not saying it would be AWFUL because he definitely has potential to put it together, but it'll be a project. Additionally, I doubt Minnesota really wants Bargnani when they already have Love that can stretch the floor if necessary.

Tiago Splitter - Not a bad destination for Bargnani, but I'm not sure if Splitter really fits well with us. Is he better than Ed Davis?

Derrick Favors - Utah definitely won't be giving him up. Millsap isn't sticking around in Utah (if speculation is correct), and they hold Favors in pretty high regard.

As for Granger, I think he'd be nice for us to have him, but I really really doubt he'll play for us with any kind of enthusiasm, if at all. This is a guy that refused to even work out for Toronto in his draft year. I don't think that kind of personality will work well here.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:12 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
I'd like for that to happen too, but the chances are slim IMO. With our luck we will get the 3rd pick and get a guy at a position that we don't really need that won't have a huge impact in the NBA, and then next yr our pick will be 3rd again so okc will get it and we'll miss out on one of the several good small forwards lol.
If we get a high pick this year and we end up with a chance to pick a C that we wouldnt need, couldnt we trade that pick for a player that would fit our team now.

On a different note, man I would love if this team could try and trade for Josh Smith, or sign him in FA (i know it wont happen). He would fill the 3 and provide some solid defensive play that we are missing.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshype View Post
Derrick Williams - As been pointed out before, Williams is sort of a man without a position. Not big/strong enough for the 4-spot, not fast enough for the 3-spot. I'm not saying it would be AWFUL because he definitely has potential to put it together, but it'll be a project. Additionally, I doubt Minnesota really wants Bargnani when they already have Love that can stretch the floor if necessary.

Tiago Splitter - Not a bad destination for Bargnani, but I'm not sure if Splitter really fits well with us. Is he better than Ed Davis?

Derrick Favors - Utah definitely won't be giving him up. Millsap isn't sticking around in Utah (if speculation is correct), and they hold Favors in pretty high regard.

As for Granger, I think he'd be nice for us to have him, but I really really doubt he'll play for us with any kind of enthusiasm, if at all. This is a guy that refused to even work out for Toronto in his draft year. I don't think that kind of personality will work well here.
Plus Indiana has David West and Psycho T at PF, they won't trade their best player for another PF.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
If we get a high pick this year and we end up with a chance to pick a C that we wouldnt need, couldnt we trade that pick for a player that would fit our team now.

On a different note, man I would love if this team could try and trade for Josh Smith, or sign him in FA (i know it wont happen). He would fill the 3 and provide some solid defensive play that we are missing.
Shabazz Muhammad (SF) or Ben Mclemore (SG) should be our targets if our pick is top 3 (most likely will be)

Old
12-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Transplanted Caper

Amir Johnson - $6.05m
Linas Kleiza - $4.6m
Landry Fields - $6.25m
Jose Calderon - $10.6m
Andrea Bargnani - $10m

Yeesh. Like anything, this stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum, and you can make the case for these contracts (although Fields is pretty indefensible) versus other similar players in the league (keeping in mind when the deal was signed), but having them all on one team at that rate is pretty crippling cap management. The Raptors are hardly in cap-hell, but this really does show how poorly they manage assets.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Eytinge

Quote:

Josh Smith hasn't played SF in 2 years. He's a PF through and through, where his defense is more utilized, and his lack of a jumper doesn't hurt him.

Plus we have no cap space to sign him anyways (not like he'd willingly come here).

Old
12-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

And both the Kleiza and Fields signings were offer sheets.

Terribly constructed offer sheets.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
Amir Johnson - $6.05m
Linas Kleiza - $4.6m
Landry Fields - $6.25m
Jose Calderon - $10.6m
Andrea Bargnani - $10m

Yeesh. Like anything, this stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum, and you can make the case for these contracts (although Fields is pretty indefensible) versus other similar players in the league (keeping in mind when the deal was signed), but having them all on one team at that rate is pretty crippling cap management. The Raptors are hardly in cap-hell, but this really does show how poorly they manage assets.
I have no problem with the Amir contract, because he's a valuable and versatile big off the bench. But the fact that MLSE is playing over 21 million to Kleiza, Fields and Calderon should clue them in a little to how bad BC is with money. That's a max contract right there we're wasting on 3 role players.

The Fields contract was an albatross the moment it was signed. I remember in the summer someone brought up signing him to an OS in a thread and the immediate reaction was "Hell no" and then an hour later BC worked his magic....

Old
12-10-2012, 02:55 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:

If that is the hand we are dealt then I hope so. It's suppose to be a weak draft so who knows if a team will be interested in giving up a player we want.

Hopefully some players that play SF shoot up the draft rankings throughout the year and give us more options.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:44 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I have no problem with the Amir contract, because he's a valuable and versatile big off the bench. But the fact that MLSE is playing over 21 million to Kleiza, Fields and Calderon should clue them in a little to how bad BC is with money. That's a max contract right there we're wasting on 3 role players.

The Fields contract was an albatross the moment it was signed. I remember in the summer someone brought up signing him to an OS in a thread and the immediate reaction was "Hell no" and then an hour later BC worked his magic....
Agreed on Amir. The guy works hard to earn his money, so I have no problem paying him that much. There are plenty of guys around the league that get paid the same for less production off the bench.

I also don't really have a problem with Calderon because his contract expires, and up until this year he WAS the starting PG. It's hard to hate a contract that comes off the books in a matter of months. Fields and Kleiza are bad, especially since Kleiza has a player option for next year that he's sure to pick up.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:10 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ben McLemore's scouting report and highlight vids remind me of Terrence Ross

Old
12-10-2012, 04:54 PM
thatshype

Quote:
Ben McLemore's scouting report and highlight vids remind me of Terrence Ross
Is that supposed to be a good thing or bad thing?

Old
12-10-2012, 05:23 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Shabazz Muhammad (SF) or Ben Mclemore (SG) should be our targets if our pick is top 3 (most likely will be)
There's quite a few players I'd take over Ben McLemore.

Namely Archie Goodwin, in terms of a swingman. Alex Poythress would also be well ahead of Ben McLemore on my wish list, assuming it's deemed that he will be able to play small forward at the next level (which I certainly hope, and think, he can). Nonetheless, even as a face-up four, I'd still pick Poythress over McLemore.

Last edited by 91Kadri91: 12-10-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 05:38 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Josh Smith hasn't played SF in 2 years. He's a PF through and through, where his defense is more utilized, and his lack of a jumper doesn't hurt him.

Plus we have no cap space to sign him anyways (not like he'd willingly come here).
Ah I didnt know that, always says he is a SF.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:42 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Is that supposed to be a good thing or bad thing?
I guess good and bad since Ross definitely has some nice tools and good potential, but still has a lot to work on. I haven't seen him play though so I'm obviously not very confident in this comparison.

Not sure how reliable this site is, but it seems to have good info:

http://nbadraft.net/players/ben-mclemore

Quote:
NBA Comparison: Ray Allen
Strengths: Ultra smooth shooting guard with a lethal combination of athleticism and scoring ability ... Absolutely an elite level athlete with prototypical size and athleticism for the 2-guard position ... Shot has tremendous form, great elevation with the range to knock down the 3 ball consistently ... Shows a good feel for the game with the ability to create shots off the dribble ... Unselfish, team player who whows strong ability to pass the ball for an off guard ... Great length. At 6'5, he appears to have a 6'9 or greater wingspan ... Highly coachable kid. Solid feel for the game. Doesn't gamble for steals or play out of control ... Terrorizes opponents with back door cuts that often result in ally oop dunks ... Appears to be just scratching the surface of his abilities ...

Weaknesses: Feel for the game must continue to advance. Still figuring out what he's capable of and learning how to use his immense talents. Shot selection is good but can improve. Learning when to force the issue and when to pass up contested shots. Also when to be aggressive defensively and when not to, in order to stay out of foul trouble ... Must develop as a ball handler and become better at creating in isolation ... In high school he had some issues with consistency, so he'll need to learn to exhibit a high level of effort on a more constant basis ... Can be a streaky shooter at times ... Missed a year having sat out a Academic redshirt season in 2011-12, but it doesn't seem to have negatively affected him ...

Notes: Kansas Coach Bill Self described McLemore the most talented kid he's ever coached. Impressive considering he had Deron Williams at Illinois.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post

Namely Archie Goodwin, in terms of a swingman. Alex Poythress would also be well ahead of Ben McLemore on my wish list, assuming it's deemed that he will be able to play small forward at the next level (which I certainly hope, and think, he can). Nonetheless, even as a face-up four, I'd still pick Poythress over McLemore.
Yeah I like what I've seen in the highlight videos of Poythress so far. Problem is that highlight videos only show the good plays lol. From what i've read it sounds like he might be a bit of a project.

Last edited by JMcLeaf: 12-10-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 05:51 PM
thatshype

Quote:

I'm not a huge fan of Goodwin, at least not yet. I don't like his team play and court vision, and I honestly don't think his scoring will translate very well at the next level. I think he relies too heavily on his foot-speed to get to the paint, and I don't see the hands/post skill to score in traffic at the NBA level. Furthermore I don't see him developing into much of a perimeter threat. If he was big enough to play SF then I'd be a bit more intrigued, but as of now I'm not all that impressed.

Just my opinion though.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:11 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of Goodwin, at least not yet. I don't like his team play and court vision, and I honestly don't think his scoring will translate very well at the next level. I think he relies too heavily on his foot-speed to get to the paint, and I don't see the hands/post skill to score in traffic at the NBA level. Furthermore I don't see him developing into much of a perimeter threat. If he was big enough to play SF then I'd be a bit more intrigued, but as of now I'm not all that impressed.

Just my opinion though.
His potential is through the roof, and despite many people saying he lacks court vision, he's managed to put up good assist numbers.

My biggest (and it's a big one) worry is his lack of intensity, and what appears to be a lack of ambition. His defense is poor, despite having good physical makeup (extremely athletic and a very long wingspan), and there were questions about his character and ambition in high-school.

I'm not sure why I like him as a prospect, but I suppose I just feel that he can be an absolute stud if he ever decides that he wants to be. I mean, Andre Drummond had many of the same questions about him and he's been an absolute stud this year.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:26 PM
thatshype

Quote:
His potential is through the roof, and despite many people saying he lacks court vision, he's managed to put up good assist numbers.

My biggest (and it's a big one) worry is his lack of intensity, and what appears to be a lack of ambition. His defense is poor, despite having good physical makeup (extremely athletic and a very long wingspan), and there were questions about his character and ambition in high-school.

I'm not sure why I like him as a prospect, but I suppose I just feel that he can be an absolute stud if he ever decides that he wants to be. I mean, Andre Drummond had many of the same questions about him and he's been an absolute stud this year.
Despite leading the team in scoring, Goodwin didn't really stand out to me when watching the few UK games I've seen this year, at least not positively stood out. The few times I've really taken close note of him is when he's turned the ball over on ill-advised slash attempts. I'll watch him a bit closer next time, though.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:27 PM
calcal798

Quote:

If Poythress can be thought to play the 3 in the NBA, and sufficiently, I hope we take him or end up with him. We need someone effective to play that spot.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:30 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
I guess good and bad since Ross definitely has some nice tools and good potential, but still has a lot to work on. I haven't seen him play though so I'm obviously not very confident in this comparison.

Not sure how reliable this site is, but it seems to have good info:

http://nbadraft.net/players/ben-mclemore

Yeah I like what I've seen in the highlight videos of Poythress so far. Problem is that highlight videos only show the good plays lol. From what i've read it sounds like he might be a bit of a project.
He reminds me of MKG. He's someone who you don't have to give the ball to for him, and the team, to be successful.

I see him being a very efficient scorer, a good rebounder (depending on the position he plays) and a great defender. He may not appear to be a great defender (he lacks the pretty stats), but he most certainly is, and he gives 110% (much like MKG) at all times.

His success, in my opinion, is dependent on whether or not he can play the three in the NBA.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:43 PM
calcal798

Anyone else hoping for a gm, thats not very intelligent, to offer a package that BC accepts for Bargnani so Casey couldn't play him anymore? That would make this exam studying a lot better.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:53 PM
weems

I watched Mclemore on the weekend and was really impressed.
He seemed ultra smooth, good handle, good first step and good range.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:55 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Well, maybe I just need to watch him more then.

Admittedly, I haven't watched much of McLemore, or college hoops in general. Certainly not as much as last year.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:57 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Is my Terrence Ross comparison accurate at all? Mclemore sounds like his game is further along than Ross' was at that age.

Closed Thread