HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The lounge Summer/ fall / winter . Bring back Hockey damn it !!

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Switched to AT&T and got a Lumia 920.

Sooooooooo, awesome. Words can't even describe how perfect this phone is for me.

If anyone is curious about Windows Phone or the Lumia, let me know and I'll answer anything about it.

Ironically, my old Palm Pre Touchstone charges it, I used my old HTC Arrive to prop the Touchstone up to a flat angle.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:19 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Switched to AT&T and got a Lumia 920.

Sooooooooo, awesome. Words can't even describe how perfect this phone is for me.

If anyone is curious about Windows Phone or the Lumia, let me know and I'll answer anything about it.

Ironically, my old Palm Pre Touchstone charges it, I used my old HTC Arrive to prop the Touchstone up to a flat angle.
I'm soooo jealous!! I hope that Sprint follows through with their intention of bringing WP8 devices in 2013

*Sent from my Surface tablet, maybe you be jealous now!*

Old
12-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I'm soooo jealous!! I hope that Sprint follows through with their intention of bringing WP8 devices in 2013

*Sent from my Surface tablet, maybe you be jealous now!*
They might with their recent takeover from Softbank, but I'm tired of hoping they do. I've put up with their stupid customer service in the past so I figure AT&T can't be too much worse. Biggest loss was really the dataplan, but since my father wanted to switch he let me jump on their plan and just pay him back. Saved me tonsssss than getting my own account while I finish up college.

I'm definitely getting a Surface next though, might get lucky and get money towards it for Christmas or I'll wait til they drop a little bit more.

I'm debating if I should switch my White out for a Cyan when they come in stock and buy a Cyan Surface. My only concern with the Surface is the fact it's RT, meaning I can't run Matlab or other programs for classes in the Spring. Any chance you can give me your opinion on that little snag?

I understand the counter being better battery life, cheaper and that it isn't actually locked down but rather has no ARM supported applications (so theoretically people could develop for it).

Old
12-10-2012, 01:13 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
They might with their recent takeover from Softbank, but I'm tired of hoping they do. I've put up with their stupid customer service in the past so I figure AT&T can't be too much worse. Biggest loss was really the dataplan, but since my father wanted to switch he let me jump on their plan and just pay him back. Saved me tonsssss than getting my own account while I finish up college.

I'm definitely getting a Surface next though, might get lucky and get money towards it for Christmas or I'll wait til they drop a little bit more.

I'm debating if I should switch my White out for a Cyan when they come in stock and buy a Cyan Surface. My only concern with the Surface is the fact it's RT, meaning I can't run Matlab or other programs for classes in the Spring. Any chance you can give me your opinion on that little snag?

I understand the counter being better battery life, cheaper and that it isn't actually locked down but rather has no ARM supported applications (so theoretically people could develop for it).
Well Sprint did recently announce (maybe a month ago or so?) that they will be "Bringing WP8 devices to their network in 2013" but declined to specify WHEN in 2013.

It most likely won't be the Lumia 920 though, because I can't imagine Sprint wanting to wait until it's exclusivity is up. Though Sprint COULD strike a deal with Nokia for a Variant of the 920 (PLEASE let that be the case!) or they could simply work something out with HTC and Samsung for their respective models (The HTC 8X or Samsung ATIV).

Now, onto the Surface!

I've posted on a couple of Tech Sites in regards to the harsh words that are put towards Windows RT. Maybe it's just how I am thinking, but if the iPad doesn't fully support Mac OS and uses iOS, and that's acceptable to people, why isn't the same said for Windows RT? From what I've gathered and seen first hand, the Surface RT IS the equivalent of an iPad to either a MacBook or iMac. For me that's perfect.

When I lay it out that way, I am usually met with people saying that "Well what if I want to use '_______' application? I can't on a Surface RT."

While that's true, I maintain that I have a laptop with fully functional Windows 8 Pro and a MacBook Pro and even a Desktop running Windows Vista (we don't use that too much), so if I need to do work, I'll use one of those 3 other devices.

I have a Surface RT and I specifically chose it besides waiting for the Surface Pro (and I did debate even knowing that the Pro would be priced a bit higher) for the following reasons

A) I have wanted a tablet like an iPad or Android tablet (and even considered the Nexus 10)

B) I have no problem with the Surface RT not being able to "run legacy apps" (as Microsoft phrases it)

C) Believe it or not, the Apps that I would want and use were already available on the Surface RT, and I'm not disappointed in the App catalogue at this point.

And on the subject of the App Store, MS IS putting a big emphasis in getting more out there.

People often forget, because the iOS and Android platforms have matured, but those two OS's started somewhere and they weren't the successes that they are now overnight. I just really wish that people would view Windows RT and the Surface RT as they would something like an iPad and it's relation to a MacBook or iMac. No one uses an iPad in the EXACT same way that one would use a MacBook or iMac, so why is MS being judged on a different scale? (Again that's my point of view).

In short. I bought the Surface RT, and a Cyan Touch Cover (I AM disappointed at the cost of the product).

Lonewolfe, you and I seem to be in sync on our Technology of choice (we've both have spoken of our MS fandom and have expressed love for the WP7/8 devices). So if that IS the case, then I WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend a Surface, whether you choose the RT or the Pro (but the battery life is phenomenal on the Surface RT). I think you'll have a blast with it.

Hope this helps you out buddy!

Old
12-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Lonewolfe2015

I definitely think I'd like it and agree with what you're saying. I'm just stuck in the middle because of the price. On one hand, I have a $1300 laptop that is like a 1st gen ultrabook, I spec'd it out to be everything an ultrabook is supposed to be minus the battery life (about 5.5 hours at best) and it being a bit larger.

I need my tablet if I buy it to be more portable but to maintain the same capability so I'm not stuck trying to decide between bringing my laptop to classes one day or my tablet. Since I commute.

And because I like sling bags, I can never find bags that hold a whole lot (15.6" sling bags are more difficult to find than Sasquatch). So carrying both will be difficult.

If the Surface were $500 fully decked out, I'd be game. But adding the price to get to 64gb (even considering 32 + 64 sdxc card) and if I wanted a different color keyboard (why on earth they chose black only as default is beyond me, supply issues maybe?) makes it a tougher sell even to someone like me that has been waiting on it for a couple years.

In the end I'll probably favor it over the Pro, which will have poor battery life, run hot (maybe even loud since Intel is still catching up in the mobile processors) but I'm not as happy as I could be.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:35 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
I definitely think I'd like it and agree with what you're saying. I'm just stuck in the middle because of the price. On one hand, I have a $1300 laptop that is like a 1st gen ultrabook, I spec'd it out to be everything an ultrabook is supposed to be minus the battery life (about 5.5 hours at best) and it being a bit larger.

I need my tablet if I buy it to be more portable but to maintain the same capability so I'm not stuck trying to decide between bringing my laptop to classes one day or my tablet. Since I commute.

And because I like sling bags, I can never find bags that hold a whole lot (15.6" sling bags are more difficult to find than Sasquatch). So carrying both will be difficult.

If the Surface were $500 fully decked out, I'd be game. But adding the price to get to 64gb (even considering 32 + 64 sdxc card) and if I wanted a different color keyboard (why on earth they chose black only as default is beyond me, supply issues maybe?) makes it a tougher sell even to someone like me that has been waiting on it for a couple years.

In the end I'll probably favor it over the Pro, which will have poor battery life, run hot (maybe even loud since Intel is still catching up in the mobile processors) but I'm not as happy as I could be.
I hope there's more deals on MicroSD cards, because for Black Friday, Best Buy had a new Class 10 microSD 32gb card for 17.99, so I jumped all over that and doubled my memory (I bought the 32gb Surface...I am not sure what I'd do with all the space of the 64gb one).

But the Cyan touch cover is REALLY nice, I was debating that one or the red one, but ultimately went with cyan. I did also put Ghost Armor on it (just the screen side right now, waiting for my local kiosk to bring in the backside) and am happy I did that as well.

One thing I will note that some may view as a negative is that there is what appears to be an etching of the new Windows logo on the backside, and on mine, and others as I have read, that logo is starting to come off. So that would be my reasoning for wanting to get a Ghost Armor protector on the backside...just don't want anything else to harm it (it's ridiculous...I know)

If you get one, let me know how you like it and what accessories you get with it!

Old
12-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Of course. Amazon has had great deals on 64gb ones for awhile, they've been no more than $40.

I have an extensive music collection, so I'd instantly max out a 32 gb one just with my Zune collection. Add in pictures, documents and pdf textbooks, that's about 2.5 gb. Then to top it off I have almost 2.5TB of other media at home. But I've gotten used to use portable devices (Zune, USB, Skydrive, etc) since my laptop is a 32GB SSD.

Guess we'll see what happens during holiday break.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:37 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Whoa...this place has been largely dead since about 2:30-3pm today...what happened?

Funny pics time!

Old
12-10-2012, 09:44 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 157
NSFW

Old
12-11-2012, 11:42 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Loanwolfe I've been looking to get a new phone for a while. I'm thinking of the Galaxy lll, but I think 600 bucks for a phone is hella a lot and looking for a good one under 200 bucks with android capability. Right now I have this stupid Samsung Messager which igot for 90 bucks on sell from 130. I got it in December, but sadly that spring my phones new version came out so I kind of got screwed.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Lonewolfe2015

I believe I upset someone with my previous Android comments, so I'll keep them to myself.

I don't see why your phone would ever need to be more than $300-350 dollars. I know a lot of people use pay as you go providers, which is part of the reason, but many of the good phones you can find online for re-sell by people after they've upgraded. Windows Phone 7 for instance will continue to be supported because Nokia has committed to the platform past 7.8, so any Lumia brand will continue to sell in foreign markets and get software support by them/MS.

The iPhones are all pretty modestly priced in the 4/4S range these days and they are hardly bad phones.

If you've got a subscription provider trying to charge you more than a couple hundred bucks you probably need a new provider. I saw T-Mobile is going to drop contract fees on phones and just roll out a monthly pay plan for them for instance.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:06 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Loanwolfe I've been looking to get a new phone for a while. I'm thinking of the Galaxy lll, but I think 600 bucks for a phone is hella a lot and looking for a good one under 200 bucks with android capability. Right now I have this stupid Samsung Messager which igot for 90 bucks on sell from 130. I got it in December, but sadly that spring my phones new version came out so I kind of got screwed.
I'd seriously look at the Nexus 4. It's $300, but it's worth it. It sold out in the first 24 hours in the UK, and it's sold in Canada/US until the end of December. It has amazing specs for the price if you don't want a contract.

https://play.google.com/store/device...MxMjk0MTEzMSJd

Old
12-11-2012, 01:08 PM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

I'm writing Bricky's life story right now.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:29 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
I'm writing Bricky's life story right now.
I want to see a final copy of that if you don't mind showing me.

Old
12-11-2012, 01:54 PM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I want to see a final copy of that if you don't mind showing me.
That you will.. I might even be leading with you. Since I only have 2 credible sources

EDIT: check your PM bricky

Last edited by The Shermanator: 12-11-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 06:47 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 157

Old
12-11-2012, 07:05 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post

followed by....

Old
12-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Cynthesis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I'd seriously look at the Nexus 4. It's $300, but it's worth it. It sold out in the first 24 hours in the UK, and it's sold in Canada/US until the end of December. It has amazing specs for the price if you don't want a contract.

https://play.google.com/store/device...MxMjk0MTEzMSJd
Agree, the Nexus 4 is an amazing phone. I'm still using my iPhone4, but it will be my last Apple product. I gave them a try, now I'm done. After using the iPhone from the first gen to the iPhone4, iOS has become very boring and predictable. But they do work great. The experience has been the same for a long time now though. No real new innovations. They just have to keep playing catch-up with Android. And now with Apple suing everyone over everything, I'm done with them. Who sues their hardware manufacturers? Lol. Just like their computers, their phones are a little too restricted and locked down for me. They do have great external build quality. They don't really lead the app race by that much anymore now that Google Play has almost the same amount of apps.

If the Nexus 4 and Galaxy S3 aren't your cup of tea, I would have to recommend looking at the Windows 8 phones. Windows 8 is coming along nicely. It's still an infant, but more and more apps are being developed for the platform. Microsoft is apparently going to release it's own phone at some point. But they are new to the hardware game so I'd stick with other companies like Nokia until Microsoft has a few versions out.

Old
12-11-2012, 07:13 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthesis View Post
Agree, the Nexus 4 is an amazing phone. I'm still using my iPhone4, but it will be my last Apple product. I gave them a try, now I'm done. After using the iPhone from the first gen to the iPhone4, iOS has become very boring and predictable. But they do work great. The experience has been the same for a long time now though. No real new innovations. They just have to keep playing catch-up with Android. And now with Apple suing everyone over everything, I'm done with them. Who sues their hardware manufacturers? Lol. Just like their computers, their phones are a little too restricted and locked down for me. They do have great external build quality. They don't really lead the app race by that much anymore now that Google Play has almost the same amount of apps.

If the Nexus 4 and Galaxy S3 aren't your cup of tea, I would have to recommend looking at the Windows 8 phones. Windows 8 is coming along nicely. It's still an infant, but more and more apps are being developed for the platform. Microsoft is apparently going to release it's own phone at some point. But they are new to the hardware game so I'd stick with other companies like Nokia until Microsoft has a few versions out.
THIS! THANK YOU! This is what I've been trying to tell detractors of Windows Phone 8, they always go to the "Oh...WP8 doesn't have a lot of Apps". Which, while true, is due to the fact that they've completely re-launched and rebuilt their OS Platform.

I recognize that WP8 has some "catch-up" to play, so to speak, but MS appears to be committed, they are putting new Apps up seemingly every week.

People often forget that both iOS and Android had to start somewhere, neither launched with over 500,000 Apps available right away, they had to build to get there. They've had a 3+ year headstart.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
THIS! THANK YOU! This is what I've been trying to tell detractors of Windows Phone 8, they always go to the "Oh...WP8 doesn't have a lot of Apps". Which, while true, is due to the fact that they've completely re-launched and rebuilt their OS Platform.

I recognize that WP8 has some "catch-up" to play, so to speak, but MS appears to be committed, they are putting new Apps up seemingly every week.

People often forget that both iOS and Android had to start somewhere, neither launched with over 500,000 Apps available right away, they had to build to get there. They've had a 3+ year headstart.
Wait what, people are complaining about lack of freaking apps?

Well I've heard it all now.
Ridiculous.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:31 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Wait what, people are complaining about lack of freaking apps?

Well I've heard it all now.
Ridiculous.
Lack of Apps is just one of them.

Not to twist Lonewolfe's words or anything, he and I agree a lot on our technological uses, but others have been upset at Windows RT in relation to "not being able to do everything you can on a regular PC".

But yeah, WP8 detractors point towards a lack of Apps as a reason why they wouldn't/won't abandon their current OS of choice. Which is fine.

I myself used Android exclusively when I jumped into using a Smartphone, and had been a big proponent of the platform, and still am, but after having numerous problems w/ my Evo 3D (not to mention other issues on a different carrier w/ a different Android phone). I had sort of reached my wits end.

My brother, who was employed by Sprint as a Store Technician at the time (and a HARDCORE Apple Fanatic I might add), had recommended my current phone, the HTC Arrive, a Windows 7 phone. I had the same thought that some of the same detractors I talk to have.

"Oh man...a Windows Phone?"

He took the time to show and explain that MS had rebuilt their mobile OS from the ground up, and Windows 7 was actually a very refreshing and exciting OS. I took it and after just 1 hour I had made the decision that I will only use MS OS from there on. I fell in love with WP7, and am loving the steps forward that MS took with WP8 and cannot WAIT to get my hands on one! So yeah, someone who is admittedly an Apple Fanboy, who pretty much worships the technological ground that they walk on, has said that WP7 and 8 is phenomenal. He has even considered dropping his iPhone 5 (which he just upgraded to) for a WP8 phone when they come to Sprint.

(Lonewolfe, as I type this I am still incredibly envious of you with your Lumia 920...I want one so badly!)

I am as of right now, stuck with Sprint, mostly because I am the Account Holder for a Family Plan of 4: My brother, mother, girlfriend and myself, and we live kind of on a tight budget...so if I were to jump ship to say, AT&T to get a Lumia 920, not only would I pay more for my services, so would my family, and that's just not fair to them.

Plus, now that Sprint has said that they will bring WP8 to their network in 2013, I can wait. My contract is up in May, so that isn't too long, and I have a feeling that if I were to want to upgrade early, I may be able to do so, or just wait until my official date.

I'd love it to be a Lumia model coming to Sprint...but I'm not getting my hopes up. So I'll take an HTC 8X or a Samsung ATIV if that's ultimately comes my way, I just want a WP8 handset.

/End Rant

Old
12-11-2012, 08:31 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Thanks guys for all the info.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:51 PM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

Olivia Munn more pretty sexy on New Girl tonight. Who was it that loves her?

Old
12-11-2012, 09:15 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Olivia Munn more pretty sexy on New Girl tonight. Who was it that loves her?
Munn is pretty nasty.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
I am as of right now, stuck with Sprint, so if I were to jump ship to say, AT&T to get a Lumia 920, not only would I pay more for my services, so would my family, and that's just not fair to them.
I seriously recommend walking into AT&T or Verizon and asking them what it would cost to switch. The biggest fee will be terminating your Sprint contract, afterwards if you learn how to manage your data you'll be fine. With 4 lines it'll cost you probably $15 less per phone per month based on what I got.

I'm not interested in supporting a company like Sprint anymore. I don't consider myself loyal to AT&T either, but Sprint has spent years ignoring the phones I want or ceasing to support them early.

Fyi, my Arrive couldn't last a day anymore. My Lumia has 50% battery left after going 16 hours without charging. That's using it regularly, with Wi-Fi on AND listening to cached radio throughout the day. I'm actually considering taking the plunge and using it as my music player more frequently if this battery life keeps up.

Closed Thread