HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears Thread #13 - Bears fall to 8-6

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Bears never hire experienced coaches

They always are first timers

I would imagine that Bears would talk to Perry Fewell (Given his past time with Bears and the fact he runs a 4-3)

Old
12-10-2012, 01:05 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
heh, you guys are kidding yourself if you think that the Bears are going to come even remotely close to offering Sean Payton money for their next head coach (assuming we don't make the playoffs and the almost assured inevitability that Lovie gets fired as a result).

Payton's going to either stay in New Orleans or go to Dallas (and, imho, he'll use interest from Dallas to get more money out of the Saints to stay there). The money factor will also mean that the Bears won't be seriously looking into Reid (once he gets canned) or Cowher or Gruden (assuming that the latter two ever jump back in officially) or any of the other big names that'll likely come up this offseason. Except some random coordinator that we've never heard of or a recently canned head coach that nobody really cares about to get the gig.

But I do agree that, yet again, the offensive play calling was horrendous. How many times does this organization need to get smacked around before they permanently remember to aim for a more balance run/pass game?
Keep that fat ****ing walrus out of Chicago.

Don't see Payton leaving NO, and like you said, him just using DAL to bump up his offer from NO. Gruden I'd be ok with, but don't see Cowher returning.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:09 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

vCash: 500
Bears need a new OC, beyond that I don't know if I pin this on Lovie. Defense is aging, offensive line has been patch work all year. No TE's.

It would be great to get a new HC that's a little more innovative and has some personality. As has been stating before, Bears don't pay for experienced coaches. We would probably end up with some smuck.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:10 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Bears need a new OC, beyond that I don't know if I pin this on Lovie. Defense is aging, offensive line has been patch work all year. No TE's.

It would be great to get a new HC that's a little more innovative and has some personality. As has been stating before, Bears don't pay for experienced coaches. We would probably end up with some smuck.

Yeah, I'd be fine with Lovie staying here if we got a new OC... That is by far a bigger need than HC.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:15 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Yeah, I'd be fine with Lovie staying here if we got a new OC... That is by far a bigger need than HC.
Right and guess who demands carte blanche in picking the coaching staff? Lovie. He hand picked every one of these idiots except for Turner. No thanks, they all stay or they all go.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
So the 4th OC in 5 years under Lovie?

Enough is enough

If Lovie stays then Bears hire OC and he controls entire offense without say from Lovie ,,, Simple as that

Lovie brought in his BFF (Martz) and it was a disaster ,, He then made Tice OC and it has been disaster

Lets not forget it was Lovie that dumped Rivera and replaced him with Babich ,, We then watched the Bears D fall apart

Old
12-10-2012, 01:34 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
So the 4th OC in 5 years under Lovie?

Enough is enough

If Lovie stays then Bears hire OC and he controls entire offense without say from Lovie ,,, Simple as that

Lovie brought in his BFF (Martz) and it was a disaster ,, He then made Tice OC and it has been disaster

Lets not forget it was Lovie that dumped Rivera and replaced him with Babich ,, We then watched the Bears D fall apart
Let's also not forget another one of Lovie's famous hires, Terry Shea.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:38 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Get Bill Cowher and I'm sold.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Why?

Old
12-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Illinihockey

You can't keep doing the OC thing because you won't get anyone good. With Lovie on the hot seat or pseudo-hot seat, no real OC's want to join a staff that may get canned. Its why they ended up with Martz and now Tice.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
You can't keep doing the OC thing because you won't get anyone good. With Lovie on the hot seat or pseudo-hot seat, no real OC's want to join a staff that may get canned. Its why they ended up with Martz and now Tice.
Yeah, they can't keep doing this year to year thing. The Bears need to **** or get off the pot wrt Lovie.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:31 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Quote:
Why?
He makes too much sense in Arizona to be with Brenly.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:08 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Keep that fat ****ing walrus out of Chicago.

Don't see Payton leaving NO, and like you said, him just using DAL to bump up his offer from NO. Gruden I'd be ok with, but don't see Cowher returning.
Doesn't matter in regards to Reid, Gruden, or Cowher, as if they are throwing their hats in (which Reid assuredly will be once he's canned), the Bears aren't offering enough money for any of them versus other places with likely coaching vacancies.

No name coach or random coordinator. Take your pick, because that's who we'll be getting.

And in regards to Gruden, the more I've thought about it, the more I'm honestly thinking that he's holding off on coming back until L.A. gets a team back again and jumping on that wagon. L.A. Chargers or L.A. Jaguars have something to look forward to, then.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 12-10-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 04:28 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Lovie is the 5th highest paid coach in the league. What makes people think won't pay the money to get a Cowher/Gruden/etc etc?

Old
12-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Bears dont have personel for 3-4 ,, And honestly Cowher was overated and isn't much of a coach when it comes to getting offense in shape

Go with Gruden ,, He loves Cutler and he could get our offense on track while we continue to go with youth defensively

And given that Marinelli worked for Gruden in TB ,, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to stay as DC under Gruden

Old
12-10-2012, 04:34 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Doesn't matter in regards to Reid, Gruden, or Cowher, as if they are throwing their hats in (which Reid assuredly will be once he's canned), the Bears aren't offering enough money for any of them versus other places with likely coaching vacancies.

No name coach or random coordinator. Take your pick, because that's who we'll be getting.
I don't really understand this sentiment. I understand the Bears are traditionally cheap. I understand they have gravitated toward inexperienced coaches. However, and I admit, I never understood it, but the fact remains, they made Lovie Smith one of the highest paid head coaches in the NFL and he has never won a super bowl. Obviously, they must have believed in him quite strongly to do that, but if they believed in someone else just as strongly or even moreso, why wouldn't they make that guy the highest paid head coach?

Old
12-10-2012, 04:37 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Lovie is the 5th highest paid coach in the league. What makes people think won't pay the money to get a Cowher/Gruden/etc etc?
Because of the team's past history with paying coaches. They gave him a big raise in the near-aftermath of the Super Bowl run, but before that he was very low paid compared to the rest of the league.

The Bears just don't have a track record of paying their coaches well when they first enter the organization. Now, that may be changing, and if they do go after a big fish and bring him in, I will be extremely happy. The organizational history isn't there though, and I don't see them changing it now to go after a few of the top coaching candidates when there are plenty of ex-coaches and offensive/defensive coordinators out there itching for a chance and hungry enough to be paid far less that they can talk themselves into.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:39 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I don't really understand this sentiment. I understand the Bears are traditionally cheap. I understand they have gravitated toward inexperienced coaches. However, and I admit, I never understood it, but the fact remains, they made Lovie Smith one of the highest paid head coaches in the NFL and he has never won a super bowl. Obviously, they must have believed in him quite strongly to do that, but if they believed in someone else just as strongly or even moreso, why wouldn't they make that guy the highest paid head coach?
It's all about timing. Lovie was one of the lower-paid coaches in the league and he requested a raise in the final year of his deal in the immediate aftermath of the team's Super Bowl run. They were effectively stuck between giving him a big raise or refusing and likely losing him after being their most successful head coach since Ditka and heading up a team that many assumed would be right back in the playoff hunt for the next couple years.

They're cheap, but they're not stupid in Halas Hall.... or they're not that stupid. Fan backlash would've been immense if they kept on paying the guy his "low" salary compared to the rest of the league after winning the NFC championship. And, if the team had another great year, they'd run the risk of him demanding an even bigger salary or going to another team readily willing to pay for a proven coach and leave the Bears to deal with that black eye.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Like the guys above said, the Bears only open up the checkbook when jobs are on the line, or they risk wrath from the fans. IE when they signed Peppers.

There's no way Gruden would come here (Bears wouldn't pay) but lord that would be a great fit. Gruden could mentor Jay and get him back into a West Coast offense, while Rod could keep the cover 2 scheme (and all the personnel) going for a few more years.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Bears dont have personel for 3-4 ,, And honestly Cowher was overated and isn't much of a coach when it comes to getting offense in shape

Go with Gruden ,, He loves Cutler and he could get our offense on track while we continue to go with youth defensively

And given that Marinelli worked for Gruden in TB ,, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to stay as DC under Gruden
I don't think they are as far away as you think.

WDE - Melton/Izzy
NT - Paea/Collins/Toenina
SDE - Peppers/Izzy

WOL - McClellin
IL - Briggs
IL - Roach
SOL - Wooten?

The strongside outside linebacker spot is the only one with a question mark as I don't know if Wooten can play standing up.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Cullksinikers

I will be at the game on Sunday.

It will be very cool to see my team with a chance to win the division live, but I expect a tough game from the Bears. The Bears always play the Packers tough and vice versa. The Bears have obviously struggled the last five games. They have pride and will do everything they can to ruin Green Bay's day and keep their division hopes alive on their home turf. This will be a dandy. Can't wait.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:56 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:

Overrated, eh?

Quote:
He became the fifteenth head coach in Steelers history when he succeeded Chuck Noll on January 21, 1992 – but only the second head coach since the NFL merger in 1970. Under Cowher, the Steelers showed an immediate improvement from the disappointing 7–9 season the year before, going 11–5 and earning home field advantage in the AFC after the Steelers had missed the playoffs six times out of the previous seven years. In 1995, at age 38, he became the youngest coach to lead his team to a Super Bowl. Cowher is only the second coach in NFL history to lead his team to the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach, joining Pro Football Hall of Fame member Paul Brown.

In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned ten postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles. It has become an article of faith among NFL pundits that the Steelers do not have a bad team two years in a row – they have never lost 10 or more games in consecutive years since the 1970 NFL merger. At the conclusion of the 2005 season, the Pittsburgh Steelers had the best record of any team in the National Football League since Cowher was hired as head coach

Old
12-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I will be at the game on Sunday.

It will be very cool to see my team with a chance to win the division live, but I expect a tough game from the Bears. The Bears always play the Packers tough and vice versa. The Bears have obviously struggled the last five games. They have pride and will do everything they can to ruin Green Bay's day and keep their division hopes alive on their home turf. This will be a dandy. Can't wait.
I think it will be close either way, but the more pessimistic fans (of the Bears) might disagree with me.

Should be a good one. Feels a bit weird that it's a 12:00 game.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Overrated, eh?
Almost all of that came in his first several years on the job. 4 playoff appearances in his last 9 seasons (3 division titles). If Lovie makes the playoffs this year, he'll have 4 playoff appearances in his last 8 seasons (3 division titles).

Old
12-10-2012, 05:05 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Almost all of that came in his first several years on the job. 4 playoff appearances in his last 9 seasons (3 division titles). If Lovie makes the playoffs this year, he'll have 4 playoff appearances in his last 8 seasons (3 division titles).
Nobody had a better overall record when he was coaching and those were some **** teams he had. Either way, he was not overrated. I'd feel a hell of a lot better about his coordinator decisions.

Closed Thread