HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12/13' Offseason/Trades/Proposals: Starting Jan 13, after players vote.

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 11:43 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Except that he had a great year and it's not a "buy low" scenario at all
Are you at all aware of whats happening with him? It may very well be depending on the circumstances.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
All the Avs fans are acting like he'll be traded, 100%.

Why would Boston trade a "#1 C" in their own division? That'd raise his price even more, it'll cost too much for us.
If we have something to offer Boston that makes us both better why should it? Obviously it has to be worth their while, but inter-divisional trading doesn't always require a high price from one of the teams...

Old
12-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Are you at all aware of whats happening with him? It may very well be depending on the circumstances.
What happened? I must've missed something

Old
12-08-2012, 03:07 AM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

Quote:
He signed a two year deal in the KHL, but from what I understand there's still some sort of verbal out-clause.... I don't know any details, but it seems like an over-reaction.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:59 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
He signed a two year deal in the KHL but the reasons are unclear. It may be one of 3 things:

A way to circumvent the KHL lockout addition limit
Leverage for contract negotiations

OR, hopefully for us, a way to get himself traded

Old
12-10-2012, 10:23 AM
SprDaVE

vCash: 500
From the SN forums:

Quote:
I'm burying this comment in a multi-page discussion to minimize the impact (especially if it's false). But I was at a Charity event over the weekend and I was seated with a fairly well known NHL player-agent. With a few drinks in him he told me that he knows that its a done deal that Luongo will be traded to the leafs (when and if the lockout ends) and that the deal is Luongo for Kadri, Bozak and a pick (he didn't know what round).
Take it for what it's worth. Probably nothing of course.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:31 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
From the SN forums:

assuming its true, surpised Reimer isn't included

he'd have to go if leafs take on Luongo

Old
12-10-2012, 10:38 AM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post

And why would he have to go? Luongo would be a great mentor to Reimer.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:00 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post

why would he have to go?

Vancouver doesn't need goalies, and Reimer will be in his late 20s entering his prime age when Luongo is on the decline. It will be a perfect time frame situations.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Liminality

If a deal like that was in position, you'd have to assume that another deal has to be in place to get a centre or two back. I doubt Burke would just leave us with Grabovski, McClement, Steckel and an experimental JVR at centre.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
If a deal like that was in position, you'd have to assume that another deal has to be in place to get a centre or two back. I doubt Burke would just leave us with Grabovski, McClement, Steckel and an experimental JVR at centre.
Connolly would probably hold down the fort until the offseason in that hypothetical case.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Beleafer4

My ideal/dream scenario
Trade kadri +Bozak for luongo
We recieve a top 3 pick in the lottery cuz we got lucky
Find a way to turn a mix of Grabovski, Franson, next years 1st, lthis years second, liles/Gunnarsson, Colborne, Ashton (or assets of those ilk) into #6 overall pick.
Draft 2 of the top 6 studs (my dream scenario is barkov and monahan)
Sign Getzlaf

Lupul-Getzlaf-Kessel
JVR-Barkov-Kulemin
Frattin-Monahan-Mcclement
Brown-Steckel-Komarov

Phaneuf-Gardiner
Rielly-Gunnarsson/Liles
Holzer-Ranger/Kotska

Luongo
Riemer

Defense is a little weak but i wouldnt worry about it due to it being a system strength.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
Connolly would probably hold down the fort until the offseason in that hypothetical case.
Oh right forgot about Connolly, he was decent at the start of last season but takes too many nights off that's for sure. Would be a recipe for disaster to weaken our centre depth with him as our backup plan.

It would be very lucky and ideal for us to draft in the top 5 but still, anything can happen in the lottery.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Dangles McGavin
Embrace the Petri

Trading Kadri and Bozak makes no sense. Who is going to play with Kessel and Lupul? I guess Connolly for a year, but then what?

Seems like a mistake. Kadri's our only legit top-six forward prospect.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:01 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Plus salary HAS to be going back to Vancouver in that deal .. No way Burke would take that contract on without sending something back

Old
12-10-2012, 12:16 PM
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Trading Kadri and Bozak makes no sense. Who is going to play with Kessel and Lupul? I guess Connolly for a year, but then what?

Seems like a mistake. Kadri's our only legit top-six forward prospect.
Kadri + Bozak doesn't make sense for a number of reasons. But one thing that's being forgotten in all of this, is we're now looking at arguably Luongo's best performance year being removed from a (still) terrible contract. That has to affect any (probably fictional) deal that may have been in place a few months ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs have to overpay to get Luongo, but the longer the strike drags on, the more a Kadri+Bozak+ package is simply too much of an overpayment.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Cor
GOAT Poster

I wouldn't call Kadri and Bozak for Luongo an overpayment.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Targets we should go for with flipping our defense for forwards
Zach Phillips: Freddy homeboy
Charlie Coyle: not realistic but who knows?
Jaden Schwartz: not that high on him tbh but he is very skilled, size lacking
Michael Latta: playmaker who is learning his D well, questionable upside for offense
Brandon Pirri: another one similar to latta but more how he can adjust to the NHL pace.
Mikael Backlund: all around playmaker.
Austin Watson: Everyone from the knights knows what he is capable of.
Marcus Kruger: another playmaker who can play all F and is a leader from what I recall.
Kyle Beach: You know him, you hate him but he has 8 goals in the AHL after last year injury.
Marc Mcneil: another one who can be well for us.
Boone Jenner: Bigg's partner in OHL, possible we can rob him?
Derrick Brassard: Behind Johansen, Dubinsky and Anisimov now?
Philip Danault: Love this guy, such a boss of a player, he is a guy you want when you want to build a winner.

And with that...im done. for now. These are ofc the younger guys who are centers or players i'd like, name some you think that can be realistically acquired.

12-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Targets we should go for with flipping our defense for forwards
Derrick Brassard: Behind Johansen, Dubinsky and Anisimov now?

And with that...im done. for now. These are ofc the younger guys who are centers or players i'd like, name some you think that can be realistically acquired.
With Lupul, Phaneuf and JVR I notice that Burke tends to go for the underachieving players that need a change of scenery or thinks is a better fit here.

I don't think Burke's interested in trading for a very young centre prospect that's recently been drafted. I think he wants to get a guy who fits the team age wise and who's been in the league for a couple of years.

I could see Burke going after Brassard, Colin Wilson or even possibly Josh Bailey.

Brassard(25) like you said is most likely getting pushed down the depth chart and hasn't been able to replicate or expand on his 2008-2009 shortened season. Maybe we can get him for cheaper than people think.

Colin Wilson(23), I heard was in Trotz's doghouse near the end of last season and in the playoffs. He's still continuing to improve every year but maybe he's available for the right price.

Josh Bailey(23) is a talented centre who's behind Tavares obviously and was behind Nielsen last year. He's got the talent to be a good playmaker and has been working the PK on the Islanders last year. Not even sure if he's available but could be a good fit.

I'd love to have Wilson join the team but I think any of these centres could do well given the chance.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
With Lupul, Phaneuf and JVR I notice that Burke tends to go for the underachieving players that need a change of scenery or thinks is a better fit here.

I don't think Burke's interested in trading for a very young centre prospect that's recently been drafted. I think he wants to get a guy who fits the team age wise and who's been in the league for a couple of years.

I could see Burke going after Brassard, Colin Wilson or even possibly Josh Bailey.

Brassard(25) like you said is most likely getting pushed down the depth chart and hasn't been able to replicate or expand on his 2008-2009 shortened season. Maybe we can get him for cheaper than people think.

Colin Wilson(23), I heard was in Trotz's doghouse near the end of last season and in the playoffs. He's still continuing to improve every year but maybe he's available for the right price.

Josh Bailey(23) is a talented centre who's behind Tavares obviously and was behind Nielsen last year. He's got the talent to be a good playmaker and has been working the PK on the Islanders last year. Not even sure if he's available but could be a good fit.

I'd love to have Wilson join the team but I think any of these centres could do well given the chance.
Another guy Ulfie and I were discussing would be Marcus Johansson, fairly young and fairly established for a guy who was drafted in the same year as Kadri. Infact he was one of the very few prospects that made an impact in the league from the first three rounds of 09 draft.

Wilson boat seems to have passed as we shifted schenn for JVR, rather than on him, which I agree with because personally think JVR has a lot of untapped potential. However I am not sure who we can offer now for him.

I'd personally like Brassard because he sees the ice very well and can play well if given the proper chances and with the right group IMO. As for Bailey I am not too sure about him TBH, I really think islanders just did the dumb thing as they always do with prospect.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

I like Bailey a lot. Looks great whenever I see him

Old
12-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
From the SN forums:

Burke better have another trade in mind to replace kadri because I'd be livid.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I like Bailey a lot. Looks great whenever I see him
Well he was drafted a center playmaker but he was playing at the wing, LW if I recall. I don't know what happened with him hence I won't comment much, I am sort of scared of players coming from the islanders...they aren't exactly a bright bulb in the NHL..

Old
12-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Another guy Ulfie and I were discussing would be Marcus Johansson, fairly young and fairly established for a guy who was drafted in the same year as Kadri. Infact he was one of the very few prospects that made an impact in the league from the first three rounds of 09 draft.

Wilson boat seems to have passed as we shifted schenn for JVR, rather than on him, which I agree with because personally think JVR has a lot of untapped potential. However I am not sure who we can offer now for him.

I'd personally like Brassard because he sees the ice very well and can play well if given the proper chances and with the right group IMO. As for Bailey I am not too sure about him TBH, I really think islanders just did the dumb thing as they always do with prospect.
I thought as much for Wilson, I still think the JVR and schenn trade is great and can't wait to see what he does next season.

I was also thinking Nashville isn't looking for defence at the moment, they'd probably be more geared to looking at available wingers or better centres. I might sound crazy but I'd do a Grabovski and Wilson type deal with whatever on each team to balance it out.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Burke better have another trade in mind to replace kadri because I'd be livid.
I'd say bailey could replace Kadri. Similar playing style IMO

But yea, Isles players aren't the best lol

Closed Thread