HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mock Draft 2013 Who does the Ducks pick at #3?

View Poll Results: 3rd pick
Seth Jones 42 77.78%
Curtis Lazar 0 0%
Elias Lindholm 6 11.11%
Jonathan Drouin 2 3.70%
Sean Monahan 3 5.56%
Hunter Shinkaruk 0 0%
Rasmus Ristolainen 0 0%
Ryan Pulock 0 0%
Valeri Nichushkin 1 1.85%
Nikita Zadorov 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-10-2012, 01:34 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Elias Lindholm. Nicklas Backstrom clone with a mean streak and strong physical game.
I'll wait until after WJC to say if he's better than Monahan, but if we're going for a possible Getzlaf replacement (one day), with Holland and Karlsson already in the system, I'd rather have a Toews clone than a Backstrom clone. At least at 3.

For me it's like this.

Barkov, Mack, Jones, Monahan, Lindholm, Drouin

I know it sounds ridiculous to not have Mackinnon first, but I'm really high on Barkov. 17, this dominant, this big, this adept defensively, and in a pro league to boot.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:59 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 50
Liking what I'm reading about Barkov too. I don't think I'd put him above Mac, but I can see it.

For Monahan I've read hardly anything at all, but gut feeling is that he'll get to be more of a Staal offensively than Toews. But that's probably unfounded.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:09 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Liking what I'm reading about Barkov too. I don't think I'd put him above Mac, but I can see it.

For Monahan I've read hardly anything at all, but gut feeling is that he'll get to be more of a Staal offensively than Toews. But that's probably unfounded.
I guess I like Barkov a little more because of his frame COMBINED with the talent at the pro level. He's 6'2 with room to grow and 188. Plus he's very good defensively.

His stat line right now is 14g 14a in 32 games. I think that's more impressive than the above PPG pace put up by the juniors. I really can't remember (since Ovechkin) a European scoring this much in a European premiere league prior to his draft year. And Lindholm is nipping at his heels as well in that regard. 32GP 21pts. Not as impressive as Barkov but I'd argue that it's harder to score in the SEL. That still puts him over Filip Forsberg in my mind. I'm really excited to see these two (and obviously others) at WJC.

As far as Monahan goes, I've read more than I've seen, but I love what I see. When people say he's a Toews clone they're not exaggerating. It might not translate at the NHL level, but he could be better than Toews if he's developed right. But he's got the same all around game (the intangibles). He's definitely in higher standing than Toews was at the same age.

Last edited by DuckJet: 12-10-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 02:35 PM
smokes lets go

vCash: 500
Drouin, cant think of a better complement to Getlaf/Perry. He has a higher ppg than linemate Nathan Mackinnon right now!

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:01 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
Drouin, cant think of a better complement to Getlaf/Perry. He has a higher ppg than linemate Nathan Mackinnon right now!
You bring up a good point. We haven't had a true fit for Getz and Perry since Penner. Drouin would be phenomenal with the twins.

Having said that, I'd take Jones. This kid is going to be a stud, and we'd almost certainly regret not drafting him.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
I think that's more a testament to how sexy the draft looks right now. There are a lot of possibilities, and I'm not sure there is a wrong choice, but I have to agree with the consensus that Jones is just too appealing a prospect. As much as I'd love to see another forward with elite potential added, I think Seth Jones would be the BPA at 3rd overall, and he's the type of player who could be called a steal at 3rd overall.

The only reason I might pick a forward over Jones(at this point in time), is because defensemen are just tougher to judge at that age. The peak years of a defenseman are usually further down the line than the peak years of a forward.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:41 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I think that's more a testament to how sexy the draft looks right now. There are a lot of possibilities, and I'm not sure there is a wrong choice, but I have to agree with the consensus that Jones is just too appealing a prospect. As much as I'd love to see another forward with elite potential added, I think Seth Jones would be the BPA at 3rd overall, and he's the type of player who could be called a steal at 3rd overall.

The only reason I might pick a forward over Jones(at this point in time), is because defensemen are just tougher to judge at that age. The peak years of a defenseman are usually further down the line than the peak years of a forward.

Yeah that would make me hesitate too. Johnson seemed like a sure thing in 2006.

Actually it's funny to see some of the 2006 comparables.

Erik Johnson-Seth Jones (different players but same hype)
Jonathan Toews-Sean Monahan
Nicklas Backstrom-Elias Lindholm
Phil Kessel-Hunter Shinkaruk

Old
12-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Yeah that would make me hesitate too. Johnson seemed like a sure thing in 2006.

Actually it's funny to see some of the 2006 comparables.

Erik Johnson-Seth Jones (different players but same hype)
Jonathan Toews-Sean Monahan
Nicklas Backstrom-Elias Lindholm
Phil Kessel-Hunter Shinkaruk
Johnson had his career derailed by an injury.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Johnson had his career derailed by an injury.
Agreed. I don't like that comparison at all. EJ isn't an example of a prospect who didn't pan out, so much as an example of a prospect who had his development hurt by injuries. I also think Johnson will still end up being quite good, when it's all said and done. It's easy to forget he's, what? 24? Close to 25? Sure, he's not elite right now(at least in my opinion), but he's still an intriguing and talented young defenseman. That's saying something, considering the lost time.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:03 PM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

Plus EJ didn't really start to get #1 hype until the WJC of his draft year. Jones has been hyped since he was 15.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:01 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Yeah that's a fair point. Hasty comparison on my part.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:25 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Mackinnon may have scored a crapton of points but Barkov plays a solid game in a men's league with NHL players in it right now. Just wanted to point that out.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:17 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Mackinnon may have scored a crapton of points but Barkov plays a solid game in a men's league with NHL players in it right now. Just wanted to point that out.
That's why I'd consider taking him instead. But I'll reserve my final opinion on that until I've seen more of Barkov at the WJC.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Krishna

There's no way Jones slips to 3rd overall. You gotta take him there

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:58 PM
UnknownAvenger

I think Monahan will end up in a few years being the best player from this draft.

I'd take him over Jones.

UnknownAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:55 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Seth Jones.

Or trade down, but passing on Jones would not be a good idea.

After that Im tenting my sweats for Jonathan Drouin. Looks like the next Eberle/Giroux.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
I don't understand why we would take ANOTHER defenseman in this years draft. I know a lot of you agree with BPA but if Lindholms there for us at 3 we should take em. For years now we've taken defenseman. We really don't have much firepower on our wings regarding prospects.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
I don't understand why we would take ANOTHER defenseman in this years draft. I know a lot of you agree with BPA but if Lindholms there for us at 3 we should take em. For years now we've taken defenseman. We really don't have much firepower on our wings regarding prospects.
Of our last 5 first rounders, only 2 were defenseman. None of our up and coming defensemen have the same skill set as Jones and by the time a player is ready to step in, chances are the teams needs have completely changed. You should always draft the BPA, if two guys are rated equally then yeah take the one who best suits your positional needs but that's rarely the case.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Of our last 5 first rounders, only 2 were defenseman. None of our up and coming defensemen have the same skill set as Jones and by the time a player is ready to step in, chances are the teams needs have completely changed. You should always draft the BPA, if two guys are rated equally then yeah take the one who best suits your positional needs but that's rarely the case.
That's not a very strong argument saying Jones is better than most of our d in the pipeline. He's still a prospect, and not everyone pans out. If we lose Getz or Perry this year then we will be seriously looking at our drafting pool the past few years. If we are top 3 I think it's safe to say we will grab Lindholm. This is all hypothetical of course and wishful thinking obviously if we land top 3.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
That's not a very strong argument saying Jones is better than most of our d in the pipeline.
When did I say Jones is better than anyone in our pipeline? I said he brings a different skillset to anyone else in our pipeline.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
If we are top 3 I think it's safe to say we will grab Lindholm.
I don't think there's anything remotely close to "safe to say" at this point, even within that hypothetical. Nobody knows who our staff likes, and even with the usual rather firm general public consensus draft board heading forward in June, there's no telling what we'd do. It seemed a lot safer to say that we'd not pick Lindholm right before we did.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
And drafted 8 centers/center-wings under Murray, with two of them first rounders.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
And drafted 8 centers/center-wings under Murray, with two of them first rounders.
Yes, but Murray havent drafted top center potential. Fowler and Lindholm (after a look in AHL) can be taken as top-talent defenseman imo.
In center we have Holland, Wagner, Rakell, Karlsson, who could turn out ok, but nothing more, imo. Roy have that dark horse ability to turn out as a beast, but he`s a looong way from that. I don`t expect Kerdiles to play center.

However, after seeing Jones in this WJC, i will have hard time picking anyone before him in the upcoming draft. But if we doesnt become the ''few past year Oilers'', i think he`ll be gone when we`ll pick.

Center depth is ok in this years draft top 10 or even 15 imo. So, what i`m hoping for is, we pick a top line potential center. He`ll be about 5 years away from reaching his potential anyway, so that could be a good thing in case we are able to keep Getz.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Yes, but Murray havent drafted top center potential. Fowler and Lindholm (after a look in AHL) can be taken as top-talent defenseman imo.
In center we have Holland, Wagner, Rakell, Karlsson, who could turn out ok, but nothing more, imo. Roy have that dark horse ability to turn out as a beast, but he`s a looong way from that. I don`t expect Kerdiles to play center.

However, after seeing Jones in this WJC, i will have hard time picking anyone before him in the upcoming draft. But if we doesnt become the ''few past year Oilers'', i think he`ll be gone when we`ll pick.

Center depth is ok in this years draft top 10 or even 15 imo. So, what i`m hoping for is, we pick a top line potential center. He`ll be about 5 years away from reaching his potential anyway, so that could be a good thing in case we are able to keep Getz.
Was Getzlaf expected to be a first line center when we drafted him? These things don't play out according to what scouts think on draft day.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Was Getzlaf expected to be a first line center when we drafted him?
Wasn`t he?

I know he exceeded the expectations, at least in some previous seasons, but imo, he was thought to be a 1st line center then. He also proved us to be right right after we drafted him with his performance in the upcoming seasons.

The center talent we might get in this draft might be better than anyone of our current center prospects. Just my thoughts

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote