HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Mr. T

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
The only positive that would come from the Pens running the 1-3-1 trap is that beer companies would see a large spike in sales since I'd need to be annihilated to watch that BS.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:38 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
The only positive that would come from the Pens running the 1-3-1 trap is that beer companies would see a large spike in sales since I'd need to be annihilated to watch that BS.
So perfect. I personally don't know what they should do. You can't win with just skill, you also need a solid system. Any system could work, it depends on the team. That's why I'm not the coach.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:04 PM
JTG

I've seen this team in a defensive system before. It wasn't that great. Only player who would benefit greatly from playing a trap is Paul Martin.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I've seen this team in a defensive system before. It wasn't that great. Only player who would benefit greatly from playing a trap is Paul Martin.
Better Paul Martin = Better scrambled eggs

Better scrambled eggs = Better James Neal

Old
12-09-2012, 08:13 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
And Orpik.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Pouliot with a goal and two assists tonight, 2nd star. Now up to 32 points in 31 games.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:10 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Pouliot with a goal and two assists tonight, 2nd star. Now up to 32 points in 31 games.
He also got into a fight and received 7 PIMs. I wonder how he played rather than just depending on his stats.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Seth Jones had 1 goal and 1 assist in the same game, giving him 8 goals and 20 assists in 30 games this season.

Hopefully the Pens can continue their trend of drafting players from the same team as previous year high picks and land this guy.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
In my opinion, the Pens need to play a defensive system. It's easier to make Sid play defense than Martin play offense. Run a system like what the Lightning have, capitalize on turnovers and work from there. The 1-3-1 is probably the best system in the league. Imagine what it could do on a good team.
I help coach a D2 team. We had a ton of skill last year, played the torpedo and the skill flourished in that system. This year we lost 8 players but what we did is move to the torpedo system when moving the puck ahead and then morph it into the 1-3-1 when coming back. Think a 2-2-1 until the puck goes up one side or the other. Then the weak side falls back into the 1-3-1. If the puck gets turned over in the neutral zone that weak side slides back into the 2-2-1.

If a team has skill and dumps the puck we have that one defenseman try to beat him to it while our other players fall into position. If its a grinding team we give up the corners, just have that last defender protect the slot and cut off the middle of the ice. We have a great goalie so when the defense limits his movement in net he just gets that much better.

I actually like morphing between two systems. Look at the Pens last year. They ate the Rangers alive with that stretch pass for most of the year but then the Flyers made the Pens stand in the bathroom with Frankie the Whale. The Pens didn't seem to know how to adapt once they were figured out. Same thing against the Bolts the year before. No Sid, no Malkin... just excuses for a team that was up 3-1 in a series.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
If you were the Pens GM and you have the 20th pick, and both Zadorov and Domi were available, which would you pick? Or would you go away from the Knights and look elsewhere?

Oh yeah, the reason that Harrington wasn't a 1st round pick was that he was one of the youngest players in that draft. In the next draft, he would have been a top-20 pick
I like Domi from 8 on down. He's small but his sense, skill and motor are just to good. I think his upside is as a Parise type and his downside is still good enough to be a Skinner type.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:10 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I like Domi from 8 on down. He's small but his sense, skill and motor are just to good. I think his upside is as a Parise type and his downside is still good enough to be a Skinner type.

Woah, hang on there.

I love Domi as much as the next guy, and have used the Parise (or perhaps a young Mark Recchi comparison), but Skinner probably has even more upside than Parise or Domi. This kid is going to be a perpetual 50-goal threat, all-star, and (if he does that) likely hall of famer.

Domi is a great all-around player who, as you say, bring motor, but also a pretty equal mix of goal scoring and playmaking. He gets a lot done because of his sheer speed and determination (hence the Parise comparisons). He doesn't have the straight pure-sniping or dipsy-doodling, one on one abilities of Skinner.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Solution

For those who remember the WJC roster discussions last year, Prohet of Glennie was the guy who was not fnd of Harrington being on the roster at all. He has since changed his user name but looking in the threads it is easy to pick him out. Harrington will not make it this season in his opinion.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:12 AM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
For those who remember the WJC roster discussions last year, Prohet of Glennie was the guy who was not fnd of Harrington being on the roster at all. He has since changed his user name but looking in the threads it is easy to pick him out. Harrington will not make it this season in his opinion.
Ive seen others say Harrington could be captain. lol

Old
12-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
not to jump at the guy's defense but i just searched the WJC thread and saw him mention Harrington twice. on 12-08-2012, 10:48 PM he mentioned Harrington as practically a lock to make the team (albeit he did list him last ) and on 12-08-2012, 06:38 PM he mentions that Harrington is the only lock that doesn't have a strong offensive game.

he's is very reluctant to give Harrington any credit basically hates Harrington (while others in the thread have gone so far as to call for him to be the captain), but i didn't see anything to the effect that he thought Harrington would not make the team. of course, i might have missed a post, new username and all.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 12-10-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Walking a thin line there.
Old
12-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Beaudangles19

Any one see the Kitchener game on nhl network? How did marcanuoni look? Saw the London game Harrington is soo good defensively, Maatta looked ok.i really hope we draft domi he is a beast in this one play he dangled 2 guys one spinorama the other a sweet toe-drag, I think he'll fall a little cus of his size.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Woah, hang on there.

I love Domi as much as the next guy, and have used the Parise (or perhaps a young Mark Recchi comparison), but Skinner probably has even more upside than Parise or Domi. This kid is going to be a perpetual 50-goal threat, all-star, and (if he does that) likely hall of famer.

Domi is a great all-around player who, as you say, bring motor, but also a pretty equal mix of goal scoring and playmaking. He gets a lot done because of his sheer speed and determination (hence the Parise comparisons). He doesn't have the straight pure-sniping or dipsy-doodling, one on one abilities of Skinner.
I never ment to say that he was an exact dupe of Skinner. Just a smaller guy that can come out of the corners and be a scoring threat.

I never knew you were that high on Skinner. I like him but I really want to see who his center will be. Neither Eric or Jordan are playmaking centers so it will be interesting to see who feeds Skinner the puck.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudangles13 View Post
Any one see the Kitchener game on nhl network? How did marcanuoni look? Saw the London game Harrington is soo good defensively, Maatta looked ok.i really hope we draft domi he is a beast in this one play he dangled 2 guys one spinorama the other a sweet toe-drag, I think he'll fall a little cus of his size.
I saw that play by Domi... Didn't he dish it off at the end for a great look at the net? I really like his game, but Landon Ferraro played a similar game in jrs and I loved him. Now he has the look of a third liner at best.

Maatta isn't going to wow you like DP. He is more subtle and doesn't stick out unless you are watching him.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:18 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Seth Jones had 1 goal and 1 assist in the same game, giving him 8 goals and 20 assists in 30 games this season.

Hopefully the Pens can continue their trend of drafting players from the same team as previous year high picks and land this guy.
Yes, because we need another puck moving, offensive-oriented D. Then again, I have no right to say that, I haven't seen Jones enough to make that judgement.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:19 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I saw that play by Domi... Didn't he dish it off at the end for a great look at the net? I really like his game, but Landon Ferraro played a similar game in jrs and I loved him. Now he has the look of a third liner at best.

Maatta isn't going to wow you like DP. He is more subtle and doesn't stick out unless you are watching him.
That is true. You say either "Wow, that's amazing" or "Wow, that's pathetic" with Pouliot. Maatta is pretty consistent.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Beaudangles19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post

He shot it I think. In the subway super series DP did wow me with his end to end rushes.are u saying domi is only gonna be a third liner or that ferraro guy? Has any one looked at the whl defensivemen top scorers DP has more points than Reilly in like 2 or 3 less game

Last edited by Beaudangles19: 12-10-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 03:43 PM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudangles13 View Post
He shot it I think. In the subway super series DP did wow me with his end to end rushes.are u saying domi is only gonna be a third liner or that ferraro guy? Has any one looked at the whl defensivemen top scorers DP has more points than Reilly in like 2 or 3 less game
While its nice to see DP has more points than Rielly, its not really an accurate measuring stick. Winterhawks have scored 144 goals while the Moose jaw has scored a measly 88....

Old
12-10-2012, 04:07 PM
penguins2946*

Stats lie, believe it or not. Who is a better player, Kunitz or Perry? Kunitz had more points, but Perry is a TON better than him.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Yes, because we need another puck moving, offensive-oriented D. Then again, I have no right to say that, I haven't seen Jones enough to make that judgement.
If you think that's all Jones brings to the table, then you're right, you haven't seen Jones enough to make that kind of judgement.

If anything, earlier in the year it was Jones' all around game that was drawing rave reviews as his offense struggled out of the gate.

Simply put, he can control the game all over the ice. And no, the Pens don't have a defensive prospect who's close to him in terms of overall potential.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:07 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
While its nice to see DP has more points than Rielly, its not really an accurate measuring stick. Winterhawks have scored 144 goals while the Moose jaw has scored a measly 88....
Then perhaps the fairest comparison is to say DP has contributed in 22.2% of the team's points (32/144) while Reilly has been involved in 31.8% of his team's points (28/88). Based on that, I would not argue that DP has been better, offensively.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:19 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
If you think that's all Jones brings to the table, then you're right, you haven't seen Jones enough to make that kind of judgement.

If anything, earlier in the year it was Jones' all around game that was drawing rave reviews as his offense struggled out of the gate.

Simply put, he can control the game all over the ice. And no, the Pens don't have a defensive prospect who's close to him in terms of overall potential.
That's why he will be going 2nd overall. We won't be getting him. We probably won't get Domi either. Zadorov is a real possibility.

Closed Thread