HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

The Simpsons Season 24

Old
10-02-2012, 11:57 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Except that the Simpsons holds up amazingly and everyone concedes that the drop-off with newer episodes is dramatic, which is the whole point. Tastes haven't changed, the quality of the writing has.
Yes they have. 20 years is a long, long time for a show.

What I'm saying is this; old cartoons that we used to like, don't hold up as well because tastes change. That is the same thing as the Simpsons in a different type of way. Our tastes have change, our perspective on things have changed in the past 20 years. What we might not like now, some kid might like because they have a different perspective. Like everything else, quality has gone down sure but it's still entertaining.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I'm still not convinced that it isn't just as mediocre as everything else. I don't find the episodes particularly bad. If it was any other show, no one would care.
I guess it all depends on your standards. It's no better or worse than the Cleveland Show. I'd say that's pretty bad, and considering the show's history pretty embarrassing too.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Yes they have. 20 years is a long, long time for a show.

What I'm saying is this; old cartoons that we used to like, don't hold up as well because tastes change. That is the same thing as the Simpsons in a different type of way. Our tastes have change, our perspective on things have changed in the past 20 years. What we might not like now, some kid might like because they have a different perspective. Like everything else, quality has gone down sure but it's still entertaining.
Indeed. Far too long, judging from the results.

Nobody, young or old, is arguing that the new Simpsons is anything but a shell of its former self. Changing taste is not a determining factor here, my friend. Declining quality is.

Old
10-02-2012, 12:20 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

The emergence of Family Guy is what really started Simpsons' downfall. When FG was ridiculous popular for it's first three or so years, the writers of The Simpsons somehow felt compelled to follow the mold of FG and distance themselves from genuine stories and moments and move towards gag-humor, celebrity cameos and pop culture references.

BonMorrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:44 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Changing taste is not a determining factor here, my friend. Declining quality is.
Let me ask you this; do you like the popular music scene? What Hollywood is producing for movies? The majority of television? I'm not talking about the small independent films or music but the mass marketed stuff. Do you like that sort of stuff?

Face it, most of us growing up with the Simpsons is NOT the targeted audience anymore. Most of the audience now is in the their mid to late twenties to even early to mid thirties. That isn't their audience. They aren't making the show for those that grew up with the show. They are making it for the 12-18 (and maybe even the college age 19-24ish) crowd. The mass audience in that range.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

I've brought this up before, but when The Simpsons was good it at least had some kind of subtlety. Now we get episode after episode of references to movie production company Mixar(GET IT?!), Steve Mobs, head of Mapple and creator of the Mypod(GET IT?!), sandwich shop Sprubway in the midst of Sprooklyn, one of the boroughs of Springfield which also includes the Spronx(SERIOUSLY DO YOU GET IT?!) You've got Fat Tony's athletic cousin Fit Tony, who ends up becoming fat and thereafter just replaces Fat Tony, who apparently died. Comic Book Guy has a gay cousin known as Comic Book Gay. That is indefensibly bad writing and no one will ever convince me that it's the result of "changing tastes," it's just lazy stupidity.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Let me ask you this; do you like the popular music scene? What Hollywood is producing for movies? The majority of television? I'm not talking about the small independent films or music but the mass marketed stuff. Do you like that sort of stuff?

Face it, most of us growing up with the Simpsons is NOT the targeted audience anymore. Most of the audience now is in the their mid to late twenties to even early to mid thirties. That isn't their audience. They aren't making the show for those that grew up with the show. They are making it for the 12-18 (and maybe even the college age 19-24ish) crowd. The mass audience in that range.
No, I think most of it is garbage. But I thought most of it was garbage back when the Simpsons was in its prime too. I'm not sure what you're driving at here.

As for the rest, you'd have a point if any viewers in the demographic you claim is the Simpsons' target audience thought the new incarnation of the show is better, or even as good as it was before. But none of them do. Nobody thinks the new Simpsons is anywhere near as good as it used to be. So clearly, changing tastes is not the variable we're looking for.

Not to mention, I happen to think that other Groening show is still fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
I've brought this up before, but when The Simpsons was good it at least had some kind of subtlety. Now we get episode after episode of references to movie production company Mixar(GET IT?!), Steve Mobs, head of Mapple and creator of the Mypod(GET IT?!), sandwich shop Sprubway in the midst of Sprooklyn, one of the boroughs of Springfield which also includes the Spronx(SERIOUSLY DO YOU GET IT?!) You've got Fat Tony's athletic cousin Fit Tony, who ends up becoming fat and thereafter just replaces Fat Tony, who apparently died. Comic Book Guy has a gay cousin known as Comic Book Gay. That is indefensibly bad writing and no one will ever convince me that it's the result of "changing tastes," it's just lazy stupidity.
Amen.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 10-02-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old
10-02-2012, 06:06 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

tastes don't change. quality does.

people still watch chuck jones's wile e. coyote cartoons that were made from 1949-1965. why do people still watch them? they are well written, well drawn and well produced.

the same can't be said for the simpsons anymore. it's fine that people still watch it. i still check it out from time to time because i know most of the characters and don't mind seeing someone else's interpretations of them every now and then. but rather than subtly poking fun at pop culture or exploring sections of the public through satire, they're more interested in trying to be part of pop culture. like family guy.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:32 PM
PCooper

Quote:
This, this, this... a thousand times this. And don't forget trying to comment on current events that happened 8 months ago. It makes me a little sad, but it also makes me appreciate older episodes so much more.

PCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 06:52 PM
End of Line
Human After All

My gripe with the first episode. They go to New York. Doesn't Homer hate NYC?

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:13 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
The emergence of Family Guy is what really started Simpsons' downfall. When FG was ridiculous popular for it's first three or so years, the writers of The Simpsons somehow felt compelled to follow the mold of FG and distance themselves from genuine stories and moments and move towards gag-humor, celebrity cameos and pop culture references.
there are lots of moments that you can point to in the Simpsons and say "that's where the decline began." I always say it's the episode where Maude died because it was the first instance where they were willing to make a permanent change to the roster for laughs, and when the laughs weren't nearly good enough to justify killing off a funny (if one-dimensional and rarely used) character. No joke in that entire episode compares to Maude's line in an earlier season where she said she went to Bible camp "to be more judgmental".

I would be interested to see if any other posters here who are as versed in the show have their own opinions about whether they can point to an individual episode and say that's where it started.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCooper View Post
This, this, this... a thousand times this. And don't forget trying to comment on current events that happened 8 months ago. It makes me a little sad, but it also makes me appreciate older episodes so much more.
To be fair, the older episodes did have their fair share of movie references/parodies. Some of the episodes them aged (simply because the material/guest stars were of the time).

They are still way better.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
there are lots of moments that you can point to in the Simpsons and say "that's where the decline began." I always say it's the episode where Maude died because it was the first instance where they were willing to make a permanent change to the roster for laughs, and when the laughs weren't nearly good enough to justify killing off a funny (if one-dimensional and rarely used) character. No joke in that entire episode compares to Maude's line in an earlier season where she said she went to Bible camp "to be more judgmental".

I would be interested to see if any other posters here who are as versed in the show have their own opinions about whether they can point to an individual episode and say that's where it started.
I don't have a single episode, but I see a slight decline in quality from the golden era of Seasons 3-6 for Season 7, then a slow, steady decline from Season 8 onwards. I haven't consistently watched the show since about 2000.

Old
10-07-2012, 07:31 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

worst Halloween episode ever

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 07:37 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

tough to watch.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Just another pawn

The ideas behind the episodes are alright. The writing is brutal as there's little substance in these episodes. For instance, homer taking a leak took a good 45 seconds.

Just another pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 07:58 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just another pawn View Post
The ideas behind the episodes are alright. The writing is brutal as there's little substance in these episodes. For instance, homer taking a leak took a good 45 seconds.
I stopped watching when I realized "all these episodes are the same"
-Homer is mind blowingly stupid. To stretch out the humor have him do something worthless (like bang his head on a mailbox repeatedly ) for a minute straight
-Lisa is a preachy know it all
-Bart is an obnoxious jerk
-Marge is a fretful worrywart who gets mad/embarassed due to Bart/Homer.

...the only ones I still watch are the halloween episodes now.

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Forever27

Quote:
Yes, this. Sometimes it's like they're not even trying. I hadn't heard most of these specific examples (the comic book gay one is especially shameful) but in past episodes, they didn't need a Sprooklyn. They'd just go to New York and drink crab juice.

Forever27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 05:31 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
worst Halloween episode ever
Have to agree with you. Shame because they are usually my favourite episodes.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

it was an okay episode but not that great.

12-10-2012, 01:32 PM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Ned and Edna are married. As I said in the other thread, it's nothing like the show of the past.
Are you ****ing serious?

That makes me seriously glad I stopped watching any episodes created past the year 2000 a long time ago.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Ned and Edna are married. As I said in the other thread, it's nothing like the show of the past.
What!?

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:31 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Kamal007
GOD DAMMIT

vCash: 50
I liked when they met Kim Basinger and Alec Baldwin. And when they met N Sync.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

As I said, later Simpson episodes are heavy on celebrity cameos which are largely vapid and useless. I caught a few minutes of the latest episodes while waiting for Bob's Burgers to come on. It was just painful to watch. Do they have segments during the credits every time now?

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote