HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Positive side of this year's lockout.

Old
12-08-2012, 03:49 AM
Oilers4life1987

vCash: 500
Positive side of this year's lockout.

1) Our younger players are playing together in OKC and are doing quite well. Also building chemistry together.

2) If I'm not mistaking, since Yakupov isn't playing in the NHL it doesn't affect his ELC meaning the Oilers will have an idea of how much money they can offer him once it's done.

3) If the season is cancelled but a CBA deal is done before the draft, Oilers might get lucky again and pick in the top 5-10 and possibly get one of the following players: Monahan, Kujawinksi,Barkov,Drouin, Nuchinskin, Rostolainen, Lindholm,Lazar, Pulock, Fucale, ect.

Oilers4life1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 03:58 AM
Bergeron47

The season cancelled only weakens the Oilers draft position, drastically infact.

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:02 AM
Oilers4life1987

well if they do go pretty low I'd trade it along with an NHL player + prospect or maybe a 2nd to get in the top 10.

Oilers4life1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:20 AM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
1) Our younger players are playing together in OKC and are doing quite well. Also building chemistry together.

2) If I'm not mistaking, since Yakupov isn't playing in the NHL it doesn't affect his ELC meaning the Oilers will have an idea of how much money they can offer him once it's done.

3) If the season is cancelled but a CBA deal is done before the draft, Oilers might get lucky again and pick in the top 5-10 and possibly get one of the following players: Monahan, Kujawinksi,Barkov,Drouin, Nuchinskin, Rostolainen, Lindholm,Lazar, Pulock, Fucale, ect.
Xmas is a time of giving so quit being greedy...jk The Oilers have plenty of prospects, now it's time to worry about winning.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:01 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I don't have to watch Ben Eager or Horc or Khabibulin play for my team. Hopefully never again..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
well if they do go pretty low I'd trade it along with an NHL player + prospect or maybe a 2nd to get in the top 10.
Sounds simple but this suggestion gets made every year. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 09:00 AM
oilersfan11

That we don't get to watch Shawn Horcoff play.

For this reason alone,I'm happy that there will be a full season lockout

Last edited by oilersfan11: 12-08-2012 at 04:15 PM.
oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 09:13 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
I don't think we need to go crazy for a top ten pick in such a deep draft unless there's a guy sitting in the 8-12 range that STU says he HAS to have. Our last two later first round picks have brought us Eberle and Klefbom. In a deep draft, I'm okay with what we'll get.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Aerchon

It is so sad that I agree with this post.

A lot of media was saying Oilers would be one of the few or only teams to actualy benifit from the lockout. I seen thier point but didnt really agree with that at first.

Ive watched almost every game of the Barons. Missing a whole year is exactly what most of our Oilers desperatly needed.

Hopkins: Shoulder injury and still weak on draws. He is NHL ready but this year in the AHL will most definalty be good for his development.

Eberle: Still ammazing offensively. Still weak defensivly. Another year older does nothing but add to his value and overall game. Not as useful for him as others but still valueable experience IMO.

Hall: The most NHL true of those playing in the AHL. But is comming off shoulder surgury as well. AHL is still good enough for him to tweek his game while he recovers. Would really love to see him switched to center. The one who needs time in the AHL the least.

MP: Is getting better but his overall effectiveness at the AHL shows he is truely not ready for the NHL yet. I think next year or the following he could step in and have an impact on regular NHL games.

Lander: This guy started strong and has faded to nothing. Lander is a long shot to make the NHL IMO. Seeing him in the AHL really puts his fualts to light. Not big enough, not strong enough, not a good enough skater, not a great passer, shooter... ect... He is a bit short in every way. We should not see this guy in the NHL for another 3 years unless of a lot of injuries or if we want to finish last again. So not NHL ready. Cant believe we played him for 40 games last year.

Harti: Steady progression thorugh his whole career. Exactly as billed just needed time. This guy has benifited a ton being able to play the PP with the wonder kids. All signs point to him being a top 9 forward. Great to see. A slam dunk to replace Ryan Smyth asap.

Shultz: Besides Hall the player that actualy needed seasoning the least I would say. His defensive game is still raw so this is a very nice stepping stone.

The rest of the AHLer's get living breathing examples of what it takes to be in the NHL and that is invauable. They may have lost ice time which is needed but I think in the long run playing on the same ice as the wonder kids should be an incredibly valueable experience.

Hemsky: Should have his shoulder and confidence back. Will be a better player because of the lockout.

Omark: Might be able to actualy get a solid pick for this guy instead absolutly nothing.

Petry: The one guy I was kinda hoping would benifit more from the lockout.

The old timers: Bel, Smyth, Horcoff, and Habi for the second half. If they play as poorly as last year it is good we will not play this season. And with a full year off maybe they will be rested enough to put in a decent effort through a whole season next year.... doubt it. And maybe Horcoff will just be bought out.

Eager: Nuff said.

Sutton: Damn. This guys was awesome for us. 1000 times better than Tuebert or Peckam and even Potter and Whitney most times I would say. I hope he has not played his last game as an Oiler. At the very least he could teach the kids to protect themselves and thier teammates. The mean streak we will be missing.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Broilers

Confidence

I agree lock out fits the bill with the Oilers. We are not doing so well in OKC. We are in the middle of the pack at this point and probably we found ourselves in the best quarter at the end of the season in AHL. Not so amazing!

Schultz, Hartikainen RNH, Eberle, Hall will join the Oilers and will be surrounded complementary players and role players and of course with Yakobov. Oilers will be lottery team again if and when the season starts. I am happy that guys got some taste what it means to win games. If they have been whole season in NHL It would have been very bad for their confidence.

I really hope we don't play more than 48 games in NHL this year. Anyway we will not make playoffs when season starts. Even we got confidence boost for our guys.

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Master Lok

Benefit of lockout: we don't have to watch the Oilers finish in the bottom 3 again.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Benefit of the lockout: I became a bigger NFL fan. All that time I devoted watching hockey has now shifted towards the NFL. NFL is the greatest sports league in the world!

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:18 PM
lakai17

if hockey is done this season Edmonton will be icing two rookie defenceman in 13-14 season with J.Schultz and Klefbom. Marincin and Teubert may also get the nod for a few games. This team is young.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:38 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Point one and two are big upsides. Next year Shultz, ebs, hall and Nuge will all have some serious chemistry together. Not burning a year of Yaks ELC could end up being huge. I could see the Oilers really going for the cup in his 3rd year, it could leave room to make a huge dead line deal of something.

The draft is a downside though, we are going to draft 20-30 with no season, but oh well.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:49 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. Despite the individual success of our NHL ready stars, the team has been doing worse than last year. Hopefully the team can put together a few good win streaks and push for the Calder cup. I would be exstatic to have our core win a championship together in the AHL.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The biggest benefit of the lockout is that we don't have to be subjected to watching the Oilers stumble-bum their way through another season. Period. Our young offensive stars are fantastic but the play of the Barons suggests that the team/organization is in mediocre shape. Or worse.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:32 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Benefit of lockout: we don't have to watch the Oilers finish in the bottom 3 again.
I would gladly watch that. Another 29th place finish means adding Seth Jones

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:36 PM
IV XIV XCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
I agree lock out fits the bill with the Oilers. We are not doing so well in OKC. We are in the middle of the pack at this point and probably we found ourselves in the best quarter at the end of the season in AHL. Not so amazing!

Schultz, Hartikainen RNH, Eberle, Hall will join the Oilers and will be surrounded complementary players and role players and of course with Yakobov. Oilers will be lottery team again if and when the season starts. I am happy that guys got some taste what it means to win games. If they have been whole season in NHL It would have been very bad for their confidence.

I really hope we don't play more than 48 games in NHL this year. Anyway we will not make playoffs when season starts. Even we got confidence boost for our guys.
Thanks for these "facts".

I especially like the part about Yakobov

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:04 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
Thanks for these "facts".

I especially like the part about Yakobov
IF we can get that Yakobov guy we are going to dominate. I hear he is tearing up the South African Indpendence league.

Last edited by okgooil: 12-10-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 03:35 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post

The draft is a downside though, we are going to draft 20-30 with no season, but oh well.
don't worry bud, we'll still draft you a winner.

Ristolainen, Mantha, Zadorov, Compher!!, Rychel, Fucale, Fasching, Bowey of the Kelowna Rockets, Spencer Martin, Morrissey, Gauthier a 6'3 power forward center, Theodore, Nichuskin -russian factor yes but we can afford to let him develop in the KHL.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Zharkov-Nichuskin-Yakupov

Last edited by lakai17: 12-10-2012 at 03:46 PM.
lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Gross.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Thorulf

The argument that the lockout is good, because some Oilers would be "better" players ,after doing time in the AHL, in the 2013 season is strange.
If they where playing this whole season in the regular league they would be even better...

The true up side of the lock-out:
Better players here in europe and in the WC!

Quote:
This is what is wrong with a closed league with a draft system like this.
Disgusting. FUBAR...

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:56 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I would gladly fluke out and win the lottery to get jones. I would not want to watch a 29th place finish.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:54 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Gross.
Oh definitely, but if its a half season, it'd be a lot more bearable. After that, it'd be completely unacceptable

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Another poitive you missed is the free time that fans have to get things done...and even accrue new interests. I'm not even thinking about hockey, and wont till it starts again.

And for clarity, my above statement may be construed as hypocritical or untrue because I'm posting in a hockey forum. This is not the case. I like to keep updated on what is happening in OKC, for the Oil Kings, Eskies, etc. And when I say "not thinking about it", it doesn't mean that I do not think about it at all, I'm only thinking when I'm on these boards replying to something. Although some here might argue that I don't think at all when I'm posting, which is fair enough.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote