HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXV: New car caviar four star daydream, think I'll buy me a hockey team

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
The only consolation to a lockout would be an ironclad 8+ year CBA at this point. I'd rather lockout than play half a season.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:28 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Different strokes.

It's clearly not ideal. 48 games is as legitimate as 82 to me though. Every team plays the same amount of games. Every team has the same risk of injury or fatigue. Eastern teams will practically not leave their house, let alone time zone, but that's how it goes.

Or think of a system for 30 teams to play in a playoff. Not sure how, like who plays who, or where, but that's why they don't pay me any money to figure it out.
I could probably live with 50 games. Anything much shorter and I think you're ruining whatever integrity is left for the NHL. Others seem fine with just starting at the playoffs. As I said, everyone will have a different threshhold. I'm not trying to argue mine is right. I just resent it when posters who disagree with me claim that I'm not a true hockey fan because I have a different benchmark for legitimacy.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
see any one that chooses no hockey over any amount of hockey is not a hockey fan. you might be an nhl fan, but you are not a hockey fan.

die hard hockey fans are interested in any type, and amount of hockey. die hards go to minor hockey and enjoy it, die hards go to beer hockey leagues and enjoy it.

nhl die hards watch nhl hockey and nothing else is good enough.
A 28 game season is a joke and a slap in the face to fans and season ticket holders.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:30 PM
BruinsFan64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
BTW what's the news today? plans for a meeting?

I know they cancelled december but are they still talking?
They cancelled December!! Wow Bettman has a lot of power. What month is it now!!

Old
12-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
A 28 game season is a joke and a slap in the face to fans and season ticket holders.
no a slap to the face to the fans is cancelling the season. getting this done to save even a part of the season is good for the game (even if it is only 28 games).

Old
12-10-2012, 02:32 PM
BruinsFan64

Quote:
Why don't they just start from the playoffs. All teams are in. Best of 3 in the first few rounds until you get down to 8 teams then the typical playoff schedule.

Old
vanwest

Quote:
see any one that chooses no hockey over any amount of hockey is not a hockey fan. you might be an nhl fan, but you are not a hockey fan.die hard hockey fans are interested in any type, and amount of hockey. die hards go to minor hockey and enjoy it, die hards go to beer hockey leagues and enjoy it.

nhl die hards watch nhl hockey and nothing else is good enough.
Sorry but that's not your call as to who is or is not a hockey fan. I've followed hockey for over 40 years. Hockey fans are not just those interested in any type of hockey. My definition of a hockey fan is someone who cares about the integrity of the game and the fact that the Cup winner in hockey is the most difficult path of any league. I won't label you as not being a true hockey fan but I disagree on pretty much everything you said.

Old
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
BTW what's the news today? plans for a meeting?

I know they cancelled december but are they still talking?
CAncelled games for December
Rumblings about talks resuming on Wednesday

Old
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
no a slap to the face to the fans is cancelling the season. getting this done to save even a part of the season is good for the game (even if it is only 28 games).
If a full season lockout is what's needed to stabilize the game and it comes with a 10 year CBA stipend I'm all for it.

I don't want some sham of a bargaining agreement slapped together with a short term length and a couple weeks of a "season" to appease some fans and sponsors.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:33 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
LOL Devils, and the Kings wouldn't have even made the playoffs last year after 28 games!
It's like the center of a black hole. Everything would go a lot quicker with fewer games. If a coach needs to get fired, he's out quick. If a trade needs to be made, it's done the next day. It would be almost two sets of playoffs. Just in the first one, you can still make some changes. There would be a sense of urgency all around. And wouldn't that be a complete, and welcome, change of pace for once.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
If a full season lockout is what's needed to stabilize the game and it comes with a 10 year CBA stipend I'm all for it.

I don't want some sham of a bargaining agreement slapped together with a short term length and a couple weeks of a "season" to appease some fans and sponsors.
losing another season after just losing one 7 years ago will not stabilize the game, it will only hurt the game.

the fans are already at the point where its fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you

Old
12-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
48 games would be 100% of the season if the season is 48 games. Every team would be playing 48 games. Every team plays 82 games. What makes 82 so special? 200 games would give an even better idea of which teams can adapt and succeed through the ups and downs of a regular season.

Just the mindset alone would make it different. How many games can teams throw away during an 82 game season? Probably more than they could with 48.

The playoffs are only 28 games max. Why not make it 36? But everything is so condensed that it feels much longer than that the closer you get to the Cup, even to a fan. Plenty of ups and downs during a playoff run. 48 games would just be more of a sprint. Instead of a marathon and a sprint, you get two sprints.

1 game, 28 games, 48 games, 82 games, 100+ games, whoever is going to win is going to win.
28 games in Toronto was leading the east. By game 82 they had free fallen to 24th. In fact, Vancouver was struggling out the gate for a while. There is plenty that can change between a large gap of games.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:39 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
I would take 28 games simply because it is a greater number than zero and it would mean playoffs. Saying its a slap in the face to fans is odd ... if someone is offended by that then what is their end game? Hating for hate's sake?

Old
12-10-2012, 02:40 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
28 games in Toronto was leading the east. By game 82 they had free fallen to 24th. In fact, Vancouver was struggling out the gate for a while. There is plenty that can change between a large gap of games.
Here's a proposal.
We go 28 games but everyone makes it.
Each team picks their fastest skater and we have races to eliminate 8 teams.
Then we go shootouts to eliminate the other teams that won't make the playoffs.
Rank the teams from shortest name to longest name for seeding.
Then go regular playoff series.
The winner gets the Cup!

Old
12-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Legionnaire11

94-95 was a little weird at first, but once we got into that season it was business as usual. Give it 10 games and you won't give another though to 48 games being any less of a season. That year also had some fantastic playoffs!

Old
12-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFan64 View Post
Why don't they just start from the playoffs. All teams are in. Best of 3 in the first few rounds until you get down to 8 teams then the typical playoff schedule.
That might actually be interesting. Basically, tournament style elimination. Would make for some exciting hockey but we'd need a few games prior to shake off the rust otherwise it could end up with some rather awful games.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Here's a proposal.
We go 28 games but everyone makes it.
Each team picks their fastest skater and we have races to eliminate 8 teams.
Then we go shootouts to eliminate the other teams that won't make the playoffs.
Rank the teams from shortest name to longest name for seeding.
Then go regular playoff series.
The winner gets the Cup!
My god, Raymond would be legendary!

Old
12-10-2012, 02:43 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I could probably live with 50 games. Anything much shorter and I think you're ruining whatever integrity is left for the NHL. Others seem fine with just starting at the playoffs. As I said, everyone will have a different threshhold. I'm not trying to argue mine is right. I just resent it when posters who disagree with me claim that I'm not a true hockey fan because I have a different benchmark for legitimacy.
For me, as long as everyone plays the same amount of games, I'm good with it.

Like was said above, as long as they don't come to an agreement for the sake of just playing games. I'm guessing that won't happen though. I'm pretty sure at least Fehr wouldn't let that happen, just on principle.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:44 PM
vanwest

Quote:
My god, Raymond would be legendary!
Shhhh!
You saw through my plan.
I was going to trade for Grabner before proposing this structure and then also get Kyle Wellwood for shootouts! Change the team name to the VNucks so that we get first seed too!

Old
12-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
https://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS/sta...39861599784960

Quote:
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Don't expect any owners in the next NHL CBA talks. The league think its best for the process on their side right now.
Wait, even no Jacobs/Edwards/Leipold?

Old
Scurr

Quote:
That might actually be interesting. Basically, tournament style elimination. Would make for some exciting hockey but we'd need a few games prior to shake off the rust otherwise it could end up with some rather awful games.
Round robin in the division for seeding and then an NCAA basketball type bracket for the cup... they've done worse. Might get hockey back on the map anyway.

Old
SouthJerseyRanger

My proposal... completely ignore division for one year.

2 home, 2 away against everybody in your Conference. 14 x 4 = 56

14 in Jan.
14 in Feb.
14 in Mar.
14 in Apr.

Rank them 1-15, top 8 make it...

Playoffs: home-home-OFF-away-away-OFF-home-OFF-away-OFF-home

+

OFF day between rounds

=

12 days for each round x 4 = 48 days for playoffs. Playoffs done by mid-June.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:51 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Absolutely. Even more could change with 100 games instead of 82.

Plus October to April, and January to April, are different. Vancouver would be less likely to ease their way into a season after a deep run in the playoffs where they came one game short of winning a Cup if they actually start this season. Toronto won't get the benefit of those early season games where teams are looking at the playoff half a calendar year away.

However, if Toronto is good enough to make the playoffs in X amount of games, but Vancouver isn't, and everyone else plays the same amount of games as the Leafs and Canucks, that's how the chips fall.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:53 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
https://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS/sta...39861599784960

Wait, even no Jacobs/Edwards/Leipold?
Will the PA not bring their parade of players then? I'd be ok with that too.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Quote:
Renaud Lavoie‏@RenLavoieRDS

NHL said to the NHLPA that they can bring players at the table.
Sounds like a positive, coming to get a deal done. Since the owners aren't coming then the NHL must think they can get that last push towards the players

Closed Thread