HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paajarvi - where do you see him in 5 years?

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 10:59 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I don't see Lander being moved anytime soon. What kind value does he have anyway? Very little would be my guess.
Lander is good defensively but not a two way player. he can't score to save his life!

Old
12-10-2012, 11:03 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
i would play him eventually on the 3rd line once they figure out what they want to do with Ryan Jones. i'd also give him some power play time.
I think they have figured out what they are doing with Jones. They are keeping him until someone actually steps up and makes him expendable.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:04 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Lander is good defensively but not a two way player. he can't score to save his life!
Doesn't really matter if can score. No problem with him on the 4th line if he is good defensively and can win draws.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:53 AM
frag2

I find it funny how some are okay with Paajarvi not scoring...I thought being a top 10 pick [albeit the 10th pick], he should still be able to put up some points in the AHL, let alone in the NHL.

He's having way too much difficulty with both leagues and it all comes down to his lack of cojones and brain.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

The thing that bothers me is that even though it's obvious that Paajarvi is working on his game many act as if he isn't improving. He isn't throwing a ton of floaters from the blueline at the net and in recent games has been more inclined to hold onto the puck to look for a pass once he gains the line. He has been getting his nose dirty more than he did, and he has been playing pretty well on the PK. He is showing signs of improvement. His draft position at this point means nothing, it won't accelerate his learning curve, it won't make him better than he is. He is improving as a player and is young enough that if he continues to do so he could be a valuable player for this or another team. People need to stop thinking that he'll be a 1st liner, it's not going to happen anytime soon or likely ever. Start looking at him like a checking player and if he ever does add more offense it's a bonus, if not then it is what it is.

12-10-2012, 12:10 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
The thing that bothers me is that even though it's obvious that Paajarvi is working on his game many act as if he isn't improving. He isn't throwing a ton of floaters from the blueline at the net and in recent games has been more inclined to hold onto the puck to look for a pass once he gains the line. He has been getting his nose dirty more than he did, and he has been playing pretty well on the PK. He is showing signs of improvement. His draft position at this point means nothing, it won't accelerate his learning curve, it won't make him better than he is. He is improving as a player and is young enough that if he continues to do so he could be a valuable player for this or another team. People need to stop thinking that he'll be a 1st liner, it's not going to happen anytime soon or likely ever. Start looking at him like a checking player and if he ever does add more offense it's a bonus, if not then it is what it is.
I wonder if anyone has a toi per game for Prv. Is it possible that his stats are actually better, but he is getting less ice time as opposed to last year?

Old
12-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
I wonder if anyone has a toi per game for Prv. Is it possible that his stats are actually better, but he is getting less ice time as opposed to last year?
Well he isn't getting top PP time this year, at least not since earlier in the year. That's a change, he's getting more PK ice as well. I'm less inclined to look at the stats right now and more inclined to look at if he is working on his weaknesses or areas that he needs to be better in to play at the next level. IMO he had a couple of good games this weekend and hopefully he can build off of that. In his last 10 games he's gone for 1-8-9, that's not too shabby although of course we'd all like to see more goals for him.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:32 PM
frag2

Quote:
He might as well convert to D

Old
12-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
I'll fully admit I haven't watched one second of OKC hockey this year but the thing that annoys me about MPS (and some of his fans) is when once in a blue moon when he tries to the net (and shovels a weak backhand on net or gets the puck poked from him) his fans go on and on for pages about how he's learning and attacking the net and etc. One above average play from his brings on heaps of praise. He's freaking 6'3 200+ pounds, I would hope he'd drive the net with force.

Criticize players like Gagner (or heck even Cogs) all you want, but I admire little guys that do the dirty work and are willing to take punishment to make a play. I have seen MPS play like a scared kitten too many times, this is a guy that will take a play offside to avoid getting hit. His defensive game is also overstated since he's so passive offensively, he'll give up on a play prematurely and become a third defencemen, leaving the other 2 forwards to make up for his lack of creativity.

If you say he's become tougher in the AHL, good for him but I'm a believer in the thought that a player either has that mindset or doesn't. He needs to throw more hits, use his speed to his advantage more and stop with the limp wristshots and if he's doing that in OKC, again good for him.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:00 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I'll fully admit I haven't watched one second of OKC hockey this year but the thing that annoys me about MPS (and some of his fans) is when once in a blue moon when he tries to the net (and shovels a weak backhand on net or gets the puck poked from him) his fans go on and on for pages about how he's learning and attacking the net and etc. One above average play from his brings on heaps of praise. He's freaking 6'3 200+ pounds, I would hope he'd drive the net with force.

Criticize players like Gagner (or heck even Cogs) all you want, but I admire little guys that do the dirty work and are willing to take punishment to make a play. I have seen MPS play like a scared kitten too many times, this is a guy that will take a play offside to avoid getting hit. His defensive game is also overstated since he's so passive offensively, he'll give up on a play prematurely and become a third defencemen, leaving the other 2 forwards to make up for his lack of creativity.

If you say he's become tougher in the AHL, good for him but I'm a believer in the thought that a player either has that mindset or doesn't. He needs to throw more hits, use his speed to his advantage more and stop with the limp wristshots and if he's doing that in OKC, again good for him.
Good post. Paajarvi has all the physical tools but the brain doesn't know how to use it [or he just doesn't have the balls to...not sure which].

He may become a useful player in the future but I dont see that happening with the Oil.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:00 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Doesn't really matter if can score. No problem with him on the 4th line if he is good defensively and can win draws.
i agree, Lander will be too good of a 4th line center or, if he learns to score a little, 3rd line center to be traded away...i'd just keep him.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:05 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Lander can put pucks in the net, just hasn't had the best of wingers without Paajarvi.

Paajarvi-Lander-Pitlick would be a fast shut-down line, although Paajarvi may be bumped to the 2nd line with his potential.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:12 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
it's at this point in time that the Oilers should hold on to older vets like Smyth, Horc, Belanger, etc. so that the Oiler kids can develop in OKC. Harti seems ready now, and Klefbom next year, but i can't wait to see what a fully developed Magnus, Lander, Marincin and Teubert can do for us in the near future, and a little further down the road what Pitlick, Hamilton, Davidson, Rajala, Pelss, Roy and Bunz can hopefully do!

Old
12-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Garbage.
Going to replace his 91 PAAJARVI with 19 SCHULTZ.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I don't get why everyone has this hard on for Ryan Jones but we all hate Paajarvi. If Paajarvi can change his game and start going to the net like jones does he will score goals, like jones does. They're both soft, jones doesn't throw hits because he wants to, he does it because he's told to. Paajarvi is a much better player and he has a better positional hockey IQ. It's going to take time for him to learn how to excel in North America. Not all players step in and do well instantly like Canadian prospects do, they need to learn the game and their opponents and most importantly themselves. He needs to figure out what he does best, and do it.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I don't get why everyone has this hard on for Ryan Jones but we all hate Paajarvi. If Paajarvi can change his game and start going to the net like jones does he will score goals, like jones does. They're both soft, jones doesn't throw hits because he wants to, he does it because he's told to. Paajarvi is a much better player and he has a better positional hockey IQ. It's going to take time for him to learn how to excel in North America. Not all players step in and do well instantly like Canadian prospects do, they need to learn the game and their opponents and most importantly themselves. He needs to figure out what he does best, and do it.
I'm not big on Jones either. Stopped throwing hits and thought he was just a goal scorer. Also cheats defensively to try and get breakaways. He's been criticized on this board a lot.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Ryan Jones is the exact opposite of Paajarvi..
Told or not.. Jones hits.. Paajarvi doesnt.. he even drags his foot to slow down if he has to complete a check.
Paajarvi is fast Jones isnt..
Paajarvi takes Smyth like weak shots... Jones goes in the dirty areas and makes his shots count.
(2.5% shooting pct in NHL vs 12.4% last year)

If both Jones and Paajarvi are fighting for a 2nd line spot then Paajarvi might get it but he has got ways to go before becoming a better 3rd line checker who is better than Jone.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Ryan Jones is the exact opposite of Paajarvi..
Told or not.. Jones hits.. Paajarvi doesnt.. he even drags his foot to slow down if he has to complete a check.
Paajarvi is fast Jones isnt..
Paajarvi takes Smyth like weak shots... Jones goes in the dirty areas and makes his shots count.
(2.5% shooting pct in NHL vs 12.4% last year)

If both Jones and Paajarvi are fighting for a 2nd line spot then Paajarvi might get it but he has got ways to go before becoming a better 3rd line checker who is better than Jone.
While Jones does make more hits, I still think they're ineffective. He often rubs guys out softly on the boards, and then takes forever to get back into the play. I also think he's garbage defensively, he cheats and commonly isn't the first guy back on the back check. I would argue MPS is already the superior defensive player and the better PK guy.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:37 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
While Jones does make more hits, I still think they're ineffective. He often rubs guys out softly on the boards, and then takes forever to get back into the play. I also think he's garbage defensively, he cheats and commonly isn't the first guy back on the back check. I would argue MPS is already the superior defensive player and the better PK guy.
Superior? Very doubtful. Guy had 8 minutes of NHL PK time and people are ready to proclaim he is better?

Old
12-10-2012, 04:42 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Superior? Very doubtful. Guy had 8 minutes of NHL PK time and people are ready to proclaim he is better?
Agreed. MPS is nowhere near the defensive wizard that some posters like to claim. Personally I think the reason for that is the same one that Eytinge identified in his excellent post earlier - they are so desperate for this player to succeed that they latch onto any slight positive and make a mountain out of it.

As for the Jones comparison .... in a word, ridiculous. If MPS had half of the hustle and desire that Jones shows he would have already cemented an NHL roster spot. Jones goes to the net more in a weeks worth of games than MPS has in his 120 NHL game resume.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Agreed. MPS is nowhere near the defensive wizard that some posters like to claim. Personally I think the reason for that is the same one that Eytinge identified in his excellent post earlier - they are so desperate for this player to succeed that they latch onto any slight positive and make a mountain out of it.

As for the Jones comparison .... in a word, ridiculous. If MPS had half of the hustle and desire that Jones shows he would have already cemented an NHL roster spot. Jones goes to the net more in a weeks worth of games than MPS has in his 120 NHL game resume.
Yup!

My attachment to Magnus is gone.
Too bad cause I had high hopes for him, even before his hat trick in the pre-season.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:05 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I still have decent expectations for MPS. He is still big, a great skater and has a good work ethic. He isn't mean, but poeple over rate that. He can still be a good 3-4 th line player. Pisani, Chimera type.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I still have decent expectations for MPS. He is still big, a great skater and has a good work ethic. He isn't mean, but poeple over rate that. He can still be a good 3-4 th line player. Pisani, Chimera type.
Who will rack up his 60000 shots from weak wristers at the blueline

Old
12-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Roof Daddy

I think he will meet the 30pt, 3rd line projection most are giving him, but it won't be here. He will make a fine 3rd liner on a team already possessing size and grit throughout their lineup (BOS, LAK, STL), but we need more grit in our bottom 6 because of the void in our top 6. We don't have a Backes/Lucic type that can allow for balance in the bottom 6.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:27 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post

excellent post LOL! It described Paajarvi's play last season in a 3rd line defensive role very well. Welcome to the 2012-13 season. You should check it out. I actually would bet you havent watched a shift he has taken in the AHL ever.

I can remember 3 or 4 plays from last season where Paajarvi took huge hits to make plays or get the puck deep, one from Matt Greene specifically. Maybe he caught an edge and went offside? Dont make me show the Sam Gagner/Steve Ott youtube clip.

Closed Thread