HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Tyler Benson - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2016 Draft)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-09-2012, 01:04 PM
  #51
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
Is White still .a top prospect? I remember him having hype on here a while back.
Yes, I saw White at the Medicine Hat tournament a few weeks ago and he was very good. BTW Benson was named mvp of the tournament.

Alberta tough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:25 PM
  #52
Leviathan
Registered User
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
91 points in 19 games.

Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:32 PM
  #53
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
91 points in 19 games.
Whaaat?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:32 PM
  #54
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher
 
Vikke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bustoville
Country: Sweden
Posts: 13,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
91 points in 19 games.
Sick stats. Then you consider the fact that Lemieux was close to that PPG number over an entire season in the Q.

It's certainly fun to follow high scoring phenoms though.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:58 PM
  #55
SirloinUB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Sick stats. Then you consider the fact that Lemieux was close to that PPG number over an entire season in the Q.

It's certainly fun to follow high scoring phenoms though.
I still Marvel at Lemieux scoring 4 ppg in the Q. Astonishing really.

SirloinUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:41 PM
  #56
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirloinUB View Post
I still Marvel at Lemieux scoring 4 ppg in the Q. Astonishing really.
Imagine what would the chl single seaon points record be if the NHL locked out 84-85. Very intrigued by Benson as well. It'll be interesting to see if he becomes the whl's 1st exceptional player.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:24 PM
  #57
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
91 points in 19 games.
Looking a bit ahead, it will be nice to see how Benson looks at the All-Canadian game against other fellow elite talents.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:11 PM
  #58
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Imagine what would the chl single seaon points record be if the NHL locked out 84-85. Very intrigued by Benson as well. It'll be interesting to see if he becomes the whl's 1st exceptional player.
I dont really understand why the WHL and Q dont do this if Ontario has made it official. It's all the CHL, not fair to Benson just because he is from AB

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:30 AM
  #59
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I dont really understand why the WHL and Q dont do this if Ontario has made it official. It's all the CHL, not fair to Benson just because he is from AB
I dont think there's ever really been the need to.

I know comparing between leagues isn't exactly fair, but at the same age RNH only had 87 points in 36 games in the BCMML.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 02:47 AM
  #60
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I dont think there's ever really been the need to.

I know comparing between leagues isn't exactly fair, but at the same age RNH only had 87 points in 36 games in the BCMML.
Yes, it's not fair to compare between leagues/regions, but it's even less fair to compare between different levels.
Those stats would be for midget, while Benson is playing bantam.
RNH had 43-43-86 in 65 during his first year of bantam and 119-95-214 in 66 in his second.

However, comparing players to each other at this level using stats, even if they are in the same league, is somewhat pointless.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:46 PM
  #61
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yes, it's not fair to compare between leagues/regions, but it's even less fair to compare between different levels.
Those stats would be for midget, while Benson is playing bantam.
RNH had 43-43-86 in 65 during his first year of bantam and 119-95-214 in 66 in his second.

However, comparing players to each other at this level using stats, even if they are in the same league, is somewhat pointless.
Just as RNH put up 87 pts, Matthew Barzal is on pace to put up over 100pts in the same amount of games in the BCMML. Same league, different years, a bit hard to compare still. Can we say Barzal will be better than RNH?

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 09:29 PM
  #62
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yes, it's not fair to compare between leagues/regions, but it's even less fair to compare between different levels.
Those stats would be for midget, while Benson is playing bantam.
RNH had 43-43-86 in 65 during his first year of bantam and 119-95-214 in 66 in his second.

However, comparing players to each other at this level using stats, even if they are in the same league, is somewhat pointless.

Whoops.


But I wasn't comparing the two as players, I was more so making the point that even with the rare 1st overall picks to come from the WHL there isn't really situation which call for special exemption into the CHL.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 10:51 PM
  #63
BigD66
Registered User
 
BigD66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I dont really understand why the WHL and Q dont do this if Ontario has made it official. It's all the CHL, not fair to Benson just because he is from AB
I thought it was up to the kid/his parents to apply for it?

BigD66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:08 AM
  #64
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD66 View Post
I thought it was up to the kid/his parents to apply for it?
The Q and the WHL don't have the exceptional status rule. In the dub you can play 6 games as a 15 year old I believe

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:16 AM
  #65
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Just as RNH put up 87 pts, Matthew Barzal is on pace to put up over 100pts in the same amount of games in the BCMML. Same league, different years, a bit hard to compare still. Can we say Barzal will be better than RNH?
I don't know, I haven't seen Barzal enough to be able to say how good he'll really be.
He has been compared to RNH for a long time because of their similar dominance, paths, and playing style, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
The Q and the WHL don't have the exceptional status rule. In the dub you can play 6 games as a 15 year old I believe
That's not true.
Exceptional status is awarded by Hockey Canada, not by the leagues.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:35 AM
  #66
Pilgore88
Registered User
 
Pilgore88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 4,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I don't know, I haven't seen Barzal enough to be able to say how good he'll really be.
He has been compared to RNH for a long time because of their similar dominance, paths, and playing style, though.

That's not true.
Exceptional status is awarded by Hockey Canada, not by the leagues.
That's not true either. Crosby went to hockey Canada to try and get it, Tavares, Ekblad and McDavid went to the OHL.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:44 AM
  #67
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
That's not true either. Crosby went to hockey Canada to try and get it, Tavares, Ekblad and McDavid went to the OHL.
, No, Hockey Canada awards Exceptional Status. Hockey Canada is suppose to be the independent arbitrator deciding the the kid's skill set and his level of maturity, whereas a league will be biased and more prone to make a decision based on business. It is not the responsibility of the league to decide exceptional status, it is Hockey Canada.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:50 AM
  #68
Pilgore88
Registered User
 
Pilgore88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 4,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
, No, Hockey Canada awards Exceptional Status. Hockey Canada is suppose to be the independent arbitrator deciding the the kid's skill set and his level of maturity, whereas a league will be biased and more prone to make a decision based on business. It is not the responsibility of the league to decide exceptional status, it is Hockey Canada.
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=389764

Tavares was deemed by the OHL, Ekblad and McDavid by Hockey Canada.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:52 AM
  #69
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=389764

Tavares was deemed by the OHL, Ekblad and McDavid by Hockey Canada.
Back in 2004 the OHL made the decision. That's not the case anymore. It's the responsibility of HC to determine ES.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:49 AM
  #70
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,514
vCash: 500
Ok so Benson could potentially apply to Hockey Canada and get it? I am not suggesting he should, but it is an option? Would be cool if Seattle got him and convinced Barzal to come play.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:20 PM
  #71
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
That's not true either. Crosby went to hockey Canada to try and get it, Tavares, Ekblad and McDavid went to the OHL.
I believe Crosby contacted the QMJHL in hopes of being exempt and was denied.
Tavares applying to the OHL for exceptional status got the ball rolling for the exceptional status clause in the CDM that was introduced in 2005.
Before that, it was a regional decision.

Post 2005, it's Hockey Canada in conjunction with the regional governing body of the player (i.e. Ontario Hockey Federation).

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:35 PM
  #72
Skinnyjimmy08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,392
vCash: 500
There is no "exceptional status" rule in WHL!!! Players have to wait until their 16 year old season to play full time. They are allowed to play 6 games as a 15 year old and then can get called up for more games as a 15 year old once their minor hockey season has officially ended. Alot of 15 year old top WHL prospects from each team lots of time get in somewhere between the 6 games up to about 12 games or so.

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:40 PM
  #73
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
There is no "exceptional status" rule in WHL!!! Players have to wait until their 16 year old season to play full time. They are allowed to play 6 games as a 15 year old and then can get called up for more games as a 15 year old once their minor hockey season has officially ended. Alot of 15 year old top WHL prospects from each team lots of time get in somewhere between the 6 games up to about 12 games or so.
You're incorrect and posting basically the same thing in two separate threads won't change that.

Exceptional status is Hockey Canada, not the WHL.
You just haven't seen it used before because there hasn't been a player that has impressed enough to warrant it.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:42 PM
  #74
Skinnyjimmy08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
You're incorrect and posting basically the same thing in two separate threads won't change that.

Exceptional status is Hockey Canada, not the WHL.
You just haven't seen it used before because there hasn't been a player that has impressed enough to warrant it
.
Actually i know for a FACT WHL doesnt allow this.

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 04:44 PM
  #75
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Actually i know for a FACT WHL doesnt allow this.
You'd think that someone would inform all of the people talking about it then, including Benson, who has publicly stated that he's thought about having the opportunity, or someone like this:
Quote:
There is no history for the "exceptional player clause" out West, because there has been no modern day John Tavares to petition the Western Hockey League for early entry.

Well, WHL, meet Edmonton's Tyler Benson.

"We've never had that kid out West," confirms a former WHL GM and current NHL scout. "This is a different situation than we've ever seen."
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...xt_whl_phenom/

You'd think if it really didn't exist in the WHL like you claim, he'd say it flat out.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.