HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

#1 Overall in 2013

View Poll Results: Who will be the 1st overall pick in the 2013 draft?
Nathan MacKinnon 213 78.31%
Seth Jones 28 10.29%
Sean Monahan 1 0.37%
Other North American 4 1.47%
Other European 26 9.56%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Scarecrow Boat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Drouin continues to be underrated. He'll be a Patrick Kane/Claude Giroux type star with the hands he's got on him. Can't see him not succeeding with his level of talent.
I'm starting to think he's being overrated on this forum. I'll have to see him a couple more times though, like I said in another thread, so far I guess I've seen him on off nights twice where he just isn't moving. Then his next game he puts up 4 points lool

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:47 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

MacKinnon.

12-10-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Drouin continues to be underrated. He'll be a Patrick Kane/Claude Giroux type star with the hands he's got on him. Can't see him not succeeding with his level of talent.
Drouin is the farthest thing from an underrated prospect, he has arguably the most hype in the draft.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Drouin is the farthest thing from an underrated prospect, he has arguably the most hype in the draft.
That would be MacKinnon and it isn't even close. Living in Halifax MacKinnon gets a lot more attention locally, and definitely on a national scale too.

Deservedly so, since MacKinnon is the better player, but its just ridiculous to say Drouin has the most hype in the draft when he was been talked about for under 1 year in most circles, while MacKinnon was in ESPN magazine at age 14 and has already covered THN along with Jones (also a lot more hype than Drouin.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
I can't see anything same at Giroux and Kane. First one is an overall beast with superb scoring and Selke-Trophy ability and later one is just a midget-size skilled winger, that is liable defensively.

So maybe Drouin is something between those types of players.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I can't see anything same at Giroux and Kane. First one is an overall beast with superb scoring and Selke-Trophy ability and later one is just a midget-size skilled winger, that is liable defensively.

So maybe Drouin is something between those types of players.
A lot of people say Kane is comparable to Drouin, and I would agree with that. As far as Giroux comparisons go he isn't nearly as rounded, but I didn't watch Giroux in jr. so maybe the same could be said about him when he was younger.

Drouin reminds me of a smaller Zherdev with a worse shot. Not that Zherdev ever reached his potential in the NHL, but his skills were off the charts, much like Drouin's are.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
That would be MacKinnon and it isn't even close. Living in Halifax MacKinnon gets a lot more attention locally, and definitely on a national scale too.

Deservedly so, since MacKinnon is the better player, but its just ridiculous to say Drouin has the most hype in the draft when he was been talked about for under 1 year in most circles, while MacKinnon was in ESPN magazine at age 14 and has already covered THN along with Jones (also a lot more hype than Drouin.
since the start of the season I dont think a player has had as much hype as him around here.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Drouin/Kane comparison? Come on.

One of Kanes biggest skills is his skating. Drouin was really slow with good hands when I've seen him (may have been off nights, only 2 live viewings so far) and I have yet to hear anybody hype his skating.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
since the start of the season I dont think a player has had as much hype as him around here.
Hype around here and actual hype are a lot different. Go to tsn's website and you'll find the MacKinnon vs Jones tracker, look at tsn highlights and they're always talking MacKinnon. Sportsnet airs a commercial where they refer to MacKinnon as the most analyzed prospect since crosby, cover of THN, etc. MacKinnon's face is even on advertisements for Mooseheads at bar washroom stalls around Halifax.

While Drouin has seen some "shiny new toy" effect, MacKinnon still blows him out of the water.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:03 AM
NEWFowler
hi

vCash: 50
#1 overall will be MacKinnon. I will be absolutely floored if he isn't.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Drouin/Kane comparison? Come on.

One of Kanes biggest skills is his skating. Drouin was really slow with good hands when I've seen him (may have been off nights, only 2 live viewings so far) and I have yet to hear anybody hype his skating.
Drouin is actually a very good skater with excellent speed.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:12 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:

Its hardly ridiculous. Drouin is talked about and flounced about on this board more than anyone imo. I have no idea if it is warranted or not, but he gets tons of hype, and has been getting it from the msm and ranking services as well.

Has any prospect risen more in the various rankings since the beginning of the season?

You would be hard pressed to come up with one or two names and keep a straight face after doing so.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Its hardly ridiculous. Drouin is talked about and flounced about on this board more than anyone imo. I have no idea if it is warranted or not, but he gets tons of hype, and has been getting it from the msm and ranking services as well.

Has any prospect risen more in the various rankings since the beginning of the season?

You would be hard pressed to come up with one or two names and keep a straight face after doing so.
Again, not the same as actual media hype. People who don't use HF or closely follow the draft would know MacKinnon much more. He's nearing celebrity status around the Maritimes and has almost 15,000 twitter followers compared to Drouin's 2,000.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:18 AM
LeafDangler

Quote:

It could have something to do with him putting up the highest PPG in the CHL out of relative obscurity. The situation in Halifax is an incredibly ripe one for media attention. 2 top prospects in a major CHL market tearing up the league. Can't really blame people or the media from talking about it.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:22 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Again, not the same as actual media hype. People who don't use HF or closely follow the draft would know MacKinnon much more. He's nearing celebrity status around the Maritimes and has almost 15,000 twitter followers compared to Drouin's 2,000.
Feel free to address the other points, not regarding HF in my post.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:24 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
It could have something to do with him putting up the highest PPG in the CHL out of relative obscurity. The situation in Halifax is an incredibly ripe one for media attention. 2 top prospects in a major CHL market tearing up the league. Can't really blame people or the media from talking about it.
Not blaming anyone or even making a judgement on the hype or the player or if it is warranted or not.

One poster said he is the most hyped player since the beginning of the season to which another poster commented that was ridiculous. I dont find it ridiculous at all in fact. It seems pretty accurate to me.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Mackinnon, safe pick and likely to reach star level in the NHL

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Not blaming anyone or even making a judgement on the hype or the player or if it is warranted or not.

One poster said he is the most hyped player since the beginning of the season to which another poster commented that was ridiculous. I dont find it ridiculous at all in fact. It seems pretty accurate to me.
He actually said for this draft, not since the beginning of the season, but either way I would think stating Drouin's hype is on par with MacKinnon's is ridiculous, yes, ridiculous.

MacKinnon gets far more local and national media exposure. He is also frequently the top rated prospect for the draft. There's really no other way to look at it, MacKinnon gets more hype plain and simple.

I would definitely agree that no player has seen their hype rise more than Drouin, but he still falls short to MacKinnon.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Zeroknowledge*

If Barkov keeps it up his will most likely ne number on a couple team's rankings, same with Jones, I could see him already being number one on a decent amount of lists. Drouin is a total wildcard, scoring at a better pace than Mackinnon, similar size by the end of the year he might have to be considered no matter what.

Crazy to think that players like Sean Monahan and Elias Lindholm might go 5 and 6, show how deep this year's top 6 is. Kind of reminds me of the 2006 draft.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
Drouin is a total wildcard, scoring at a better pace than Mackinnon, similar size...
I don't know if rosters on stats pages have been updated everywhere (I know the Mooseheads' page hasn't been, lol), but I'd say it looks like there's around 2 inches and 15 pounds difference in them these days. The difference in how they use it is even more pronounced. Both have highly coveted skill sets, regardless.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Joe Hallenback

Seth Jones is number 1 in my eyes. Haven't seen as good a Dman in the WHL in long long time. Chris Pronger like without the nastiness but a much better skater

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:37 AM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Seth Jones is number 1 in my eyes. Haven't seen as good a Dman in the WHL in long long time. Chris Pronger like without the nastiness but a much better skater
A much better skater than a young Chris Pronger? I find that hard to believe.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
A much better skater than a young Chris Pronger? I find that hard to believe.
I've been talking down about some of his "finer" skills, but I wouldn't argue against anyone comparing the "calibre" of Jones' skating to a young Pronger. "Much better", though? I dunno.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:06 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Depends on who gets the pick. Most teams would go for Mackinnon, some who like big centers would opt for Barkov I think, and then there's a couple D starved teams that would bite the bullet on Jones.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Depends on who gets the pick. Most teams would go for Mackinnon, some who like big centers would opt for Barkov I think, and then there's a couple D starved teams that would bite the bullet on Jones.
I think Edmonton proved the last two years that teams are serious when they say they'll take who they think is the best available prospect, regardless of team need.